vegan bacon - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat many meat subs but there are a few I really love. At the top of that list is Morningstar bacon. Now that I am venturing into my vegan trial I am sad to see that they have eggs. I've been reading veggie bacon reviews and I'm guessing my best bet replacement would be Lightlife Smart Bacon? I really like the crispiness of the Morningstar so I don't think the tempeh fakin' bacon would fit the bill. Any thoughts on vegan bacon?

The one thing that has always been Morningstar's short fall is that you can't really cook with it. It seems very easy to cook all of the flavor out. It works well when I add it to the finished dish but, I'm wondering if other brands hold up to heat.

So, do I run right out and buy Smart Bacon or is there something better?

Nikki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

With our vegan blueberry pancakes yesterday, we used Smart Bacon. It does the job pretty well. It's worth the effort.

The Big Bad.
#3 Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't eaten pork in YEARS (I became terrified of porcine endogenous retroviruses long before I made the ethical move to veganism) but... I know I liked the taste of bacon. I might want to try a fake kind now...

So, erm, to be totally honest, I'm only posting so this shows up in my subscribed threads, NOT to be helpful. I'm hoping to see what others say.

I know, I suck! *beams*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2009, 06:21 PM

When it comes to Vegan bacon - there is only product that nails it.

Code:
http://www.lightlife.com/product_detail.jsp?p=tempeh_smokystrips

cook it slow and proper and it's awesome!!! Way better than Smart Bacon.
#5 Old 08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I say run right out and get the smart bacon. It's the only stuff that scratches the bacon itch as far as I'm concerned.

I also want to make this one of these days:

[youtube]wS6HB1UkSJw[/youtube]
#6 Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 PM

I'll also vouch for Smart Bacon. Throw it in in a sandwich with some Tofurky Turkey, romaine lettuce, tomato, and Vegenaise on toasted sourdough and be amazed!
#7 Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I haven't eaten pork in YEARS (I became terrified of porcine endogenous retroviruses long before I made the ethical move to veganism) but... I know I liked the taste of bacon. I might want to try a fake kind now...

So, erm, to be totally honest, I'm only posting so this shows up in my subscribed threads, NOT to be helpful. I'm hoping to see what others say.

I know, I suck! *beams*

The Big Bad.
#8 Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Redwoods Cheatin' Rashers are very good.
#9 Old 08-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Smart Bacon. Definitely.
#10 Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Lightlife is pretty good, though I never liked bacon much to begin with. My bf is omni and he liked them too.

I've also tried Yves Canadian Bacon which I used to love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

I say run right out and get the smart bacon. It's the only stuff that scratches the bacon itch as far as I'm concerned.

I also want to make this one of these days:

[youtube]wS6HB1UkSJw[/youtube]

^ I took some classes with Elliot. I *love* that man.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#11 Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone. Smart Bacon it is. I don't think we have Redwoods here and though we do have Yves, I've never seen Canadian bacon. I do like Yves hot dogs though which it strange because I didn't really eat hot dogs when I was a meat eater.

I never cared for pork on it's own but being a properly raised southern girl, I grew up with bacon or some sort of pork cooked in pretty much everything. I've found smoked paprika, liquid smoke and chipotles are just as good for the smoky flavor but I have to admit, I do like me some bacon.

Nikki
#12 Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, and I'm sure this has been discussed half to death, but man is it annoying how many vegetarian foods have dairy. I really don't eat many fake meats so it isn't a huge deal but, for example, Boca Burgers. I can't tell the difference between the vegan and non vegan so why even make the non vegan? It's so ridiculous. Plus, even when I ate eggs I ate cage free but vegetarian companies who use eggs don't even do that (that I've seen). It's seriously maddening! I kind of resent having to scour the label of a vegetarian food. Okay, just needed a little rant.

Nikki
#13 Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbubbles View Post

Also, and I'm sure this has been discussed half to death, but man is it annoying how many vegetarian foods have dairy. I really don't eat many fake meats so it isn't a huge deal but, for example, Boca Burgers. I can't tell the difference between the vegan and non vegan so why even make the non vegan? It's so ridiculous. Plus, even when I ate eggs I ate cage free but vegetarian companies who use eggs don't even do that (that I've seen). It's seriously maddening! I kind of resent having to scour the label of a vegetarian food. Okay, just needed a little rant.

agreed.

The Big Bad.
#14 Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbubbles View Post

I know. In the UK we have vegetarian Quorn products and they are made with egg. I wish they would make them without egg so vegans could enjoy them too.
#15 Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I know. In the UK we have vegetarian Quorn products and they are made with egg. I wish they would make them without egg so vegans could enjoy them too.

Quorn products are eggs. They are in integral part of the product. They can't replace the egg with something else as the mycoprotein weirdness they developed in a lab is grown on eggs, formed into fake meat products and sold.
#16 Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Quorn products are eggs. They are in integral part of the product. They can't replace the egg with something else as the mycoprotein weirdness they developed in a lab is grown on eggs, formed into fake meat products and sold.

Mmm sounds tasty. I thought they were made from mushrooms for some reason. I don't know why I'm even talking about Quorn as I didn't even like it as a vegetarian.

Cauldron and Linda McCartney products then, they could make them all vegan.
#17 Old 08-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

Mmm sounds tasty. I thought they were made from mushrooms for some reason. I don't know why I'm even talking about Quorn as I didn't even like it as a vegetarian.

Cauldron and Linda McCartney products then, they could make them all vegan.

Yeah. Cauldron and McCartney products use egg whites as an easy and cheap binder. They could use other (slightly more expensive) binders to make them vegan. But then again, only 1% of the UK is vegan and maybe 10% is vegetarian so they probably figure 'what the heck?'
#18 Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm gonna try Smart Bacon too I think...

And if it's disgusting, I blame everyone in this thread who recommended it. If I'm bored enough, I'll make voodoo dolls of you all and then poke you in the ribs. That's my go-to annoyance maneuver. You have been warned.
#19 Old 08-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And if it's disgusting, I blame everyone in this thread who recommended it. If I'm bored enough, I'll make voodoo dolls of you all and then poke you in the ribs. That's my go-to annoyance maneuver. You have been warned.

Well then I am really crossing my fingers that you like it! Poked ribs are no laughing matter! Luckily I think I'm exempt from the voodoo doll group in this.

Nikki
#20 Old 08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Get in line sister. After my kids and caffeine thread and circumcision posts, you'll be lucky to get any pain out of my comatose and ruined body.

The Big Bad.
#21 Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

Actually I use different fake bacon products for different recipes. Redwood Foods Rashers for sandwiches, Baco's for salads and refried beans and black eyed peas and Yves Canadian fake bacon for red beans and rice etc.
#22 Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I haven't tried this myself... but supposedly, "The Now And Zen Epicure" has a recipe for vegan bacon (which uses tofu and liquid smoke flavoring, I think). "Vegetarian Times" magazine noted that "it makes a credible vegan BLT".

You might want to get the book out of a local library & give the bacon recipe a try.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#23 Old 08-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Banned

Back in the old days I used to make my own fake bacon using tofu, liquid smoke and various recipes. The store bought stuff is a lot better at getting the right crispy textures, imho.
#24 Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually I use different fake bacon products for different recipes. Redwood Foods Rashers for sandwiches, Baco's for salads and refried beans and black eyed peas and Yves Canadian fake bacon for red beans and rice etc.

I've just learned that Bacos are vegan and they are on my shopping list. They'll probably work better than the morning star for my purposes.

Nikki
#25 Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Get in line sister. After my kids and caffeine thread and circumcision posts, you'll be lucky to get any pain out of my comatose and ruined body.

*whispers*

You have... no idea... the things I know about pain.

*eerily blank stare*

(Was that convincing? It was, wasn't it? I rock. Woo!)

I also just realized people are saying Bacosomethingorotherbits are vegan.

HOW IS IT THAT I CAN'T DRINK STARBUCKS SOY CHAI ANYMORE, BUT FRIGGIN' BACON FLAVORED BITS ARE VEGAN!?!?

You all might be safe from my Wrath of Doom. I might have to dedicate all voodoo efforts to the Bacos-are-vegan vs. my-favorite-tea-isn't-vegan insanity...
#26 Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Sanitarium Rashers are really yum but I think they're only available in Australia
#27 Old 08-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan View Post

Oh, and P.S. - Out of morbid curiosity, I totally went and read the circumcision thread (of doom) thanks to this post.

It has either totally made my night, or totally ruined it.

It's shockingly hard to tell which...
#28 Old 08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorns View Post

Sanitarium Rashers are really yum but I think they're only available in Australia

Well I would buy them based on the name alone but I think you're right and we don't think we have them here.

Nikki
#29 Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Just an update for those who might be interested. I made some Smart Bacon last night and threw it in green beans sauteed in olive oil with garlic. It was pretty good in the beans but I didn't care for it on it's own at all. I think in the future I'll stick to Bacos. Why oh why can't Morning Star be vegan?

Nikki
#30 Old 08-09-2009, 01:38 PM

^ That does sound nice Beachbubbles. I love bacos too.

Quote:

Actually I use different fake bacon products for different recipes. Redwood Foods Rashers for sandwiches,

I like those but I read that someone compared them to the insoles you put in shoes because of their shape.

I really liked the fake bacon I tried when I was vegetarian but it has egg in it. Other omni's liked it too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page