Vegans with IBS - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-31-2009, 03:47 PM

I need some ideas for a diet. I'm not sure as of yet if I have IBS but it's a possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

You need to find out what your IBS triggers are - they are different for everyone so even people who have IBS won't necessarily have the same experience as you.

Your best starting point would be to cut out the main culprits - wheat, dairy, yeast, caffeine and alcohol and then reintroduce them one at a time (apart from dairy of course if you're vegan!) and see if any of them cause a flare-up.

Then you need to exclude that items or those items from your diet.

It's not always as simple as that but it's as good a start as any.
#3 Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 PM

Well I haven't started any vegetarian or vegan food diet plan yet. I'm not sure whether to proceed with the diet change as planned. I hear porridge is good though. I just wanted to know how vegans with IBS deal with the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

What Hekatrine said, I find that having a good water intake and smaller portion sizes, plus walking more helps, but that's just me
#5 Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have IBS, but I do have a sensitive stomach. I've done a fair amount of resarch on natural "remedies" for digestive problemms. Some herbs/supplements I suggest looking into:

-Licorice (especially the de-glycyrrhyzinated, chewable form -- DGL)

-Ginger

-GSE

-Slipper Elm (http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_slippery_elm.htm)
#6 Old 08-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

My IBS is basically gone at this point, but I found avoiding dairy and spicy or greasy foods to be helpful when it was bad. I ate a lot of plain white rice with plain vegetables... which I don't recommend. After about 8 months of eating almost nothing but that, I was pale, sickly, weak, etc. But the IBS started to clear up around then, so I was able to stop that.

Unfortunately, that's not very helpful. Sorry. Just my experience.
#7 Old 08-02-2009, 07:28 AM

I have a really sensitive stomach and when I pay more attention to food combination it seems to ease the issue. I'm not super diligent about it but just a few readjustments when I remember has helped quite a bit.

Choosing Raw has a good entry about it http://www.choosingraw.com/question-...ood-combining/

I also second ginger in particular for helping with stomach problems.
#8 Old 08-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I was just reading an article in Vegetarian Times (Set. issue) about flax seed. They cited a study that found flax to be very useful for IBS. I'm not sure of the details but it might be something to look into.

Nikki
#9 Old 08-02-2009, 09:06 AM

Hey there

Well I have had severe IBS for 10 years now and have no life. There's lots of things that can help to a certain degree . It all depends how bad the symtoms. So far everything I try helps a little only.

Anyway I eat a high soluble fiber diet that is low fat and never eat insoluble fiber on an empty stomache since it make stomache problems worse. Here 's info on how soluble fiber soothes the tummy http://www.helpforibs.com There's tons of recipes on there. Most are not vegan since there are lots of recipes with egg whites and some have a certain meats (gross you'd think people would know by now animals make illnesses worse!) but can be made vegan really easily. I eat 6 mini meals instead of 3 big ones since smaller meals are easier to digest.I always make sure to at regular times and never have my stomache empty since symtoms will flare. I drink lots of very strong fennel, chamomile, and mint tea. I eat a few teaspoons of sugar coated fennel seeds ( you can try them without sugar but they are really gross and hard to chew ) and a small piece of candied ginger after meals which helps to aid digestion. I also take magesium everyday to help with irregularity but if you have d then you can try a calcium carbonate supplement. I also recently started taking a liquid dairy free probiotic supplement called Bio K. I'm trying it for three months. I have been taking it for a month now and have noticed it has only helped a little bit but it sure is helping my moderate acne.

Hope this helps.
#10 Old 08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Ginger, yes of course, good call.

Also peppermint tea and aloe vera juice (not at the same time).
#11 Old 08-02-2009, 03:23 PM

What about supplementary digestive enzymes ?
#12 Old 08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm 99% sure that I've got IBS and just switching to a vegan diet seems to have had quite a bit of an effect on my stomach issues.

But I agree about eating small meals several times a day, drinking plenty of water and getting some light exercise.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
#13 Old 08-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojie View Post

I'm 99% sure that I've got IBS and just switching to a vegan diet seems to have had quite a bit of an effect on my stomach issues.

For better or for worse ?
#14 Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Sorry; for the better.

I've only had a fraction of the issues I used to have. I'm thinking laying off the dairy may have helped, but I'm not positive that that's what's made the change.

#15 Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Moije your so lucky! I still have major problems even though I've been vegan for years. I keep seeing docs but they never help.Yeah light exercise helps too. I do some yoga, sit ups and walk on my treadmill.

Digestive enzymes can help too for some people with IBS. For me it gave me even more gas and bloating so not everybody can handle them.
#16 Old 08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

At least one thing is going my way.

Going vegan's done wonders for my health in most areas, actually. I was sickly before. I'm not sure if it's that I'm eating healthier (less fat, less sugar, less processed foods) or if it's something else related to my change in diet, but something's working for me.

#17 Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Never formally diagnosed with IBS but I can tell you that since becoming vegetarian, and giving up dairy as well, I've been the happiest little pooper east of the Mississippi. No more diarrhea, no more running to the bathroom twenty minutes after every meal, no more wondering if I was going to make it in time. I've had these issues since I was a kid and now at 46 years-old I'm having the first normal bowel movements of my life! I only wish I had discovered vegetarianism sooner and/or had a decent doctor to recommend such things to me. Could have been lactose intolerance, could have been IBS, could have been anything really. All I know is that it's GONE.
#18 Old 08-03-2009, 05:24 PM

I have a really sensitive stomach, but since I have become vegan I have noticed that I feel a lot better. Milk was definitely a huge trigger for my stomach. I have found that when my stomach is upset, I drink peppermint tea and eat some ginger. Works much better than any prescription I was ever given. Hopefully with a diet change, you will feel better.
#19 Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 AM

Since going vegan I have only had one bout of IBS - at least I think that's what it is. Before going vegan I would get a bad case every year or so. I think it was dairy that made mine worse, I know once I cut out dairy my headaches reduced as well. I find plenty of water helps! I also find that vitamin C helps too. The pains I'm getting now, I think, are due to stress and the fact I'm very run down (due to stress), I also can't eat much fruit cos of my tummy pain. Fruit is good for clearing up IBS and so is fibre
#20 Old 08-05-2009, 05:04 AM

Your lucky fruit and fiber works for you. I have to really limit my fiber and fruit or else my symtoms get worse.
#21 Old 08-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Beginner

Personally I believe IBS is an overrated umbrella term used when the REAL issue isn't pinpointed.

I agree with previous posters that stated finding out what the triggers are. Instead of adding things to your diet like teas, probiotics, digestive enzymes-FIRST find out what you can eliminate to prevent the gastric distress in the first place.

I'm not saying that the teas and enzymes are bad at all, it's just kind of pointless to treat the symptoms rather than eliminate the problem.

I went YEARS thinking I had "IBS", "leaky gut", blah blah blah.

turns out, I'm lactose/casein/dairy, and gluten intolerant.

If I eliminate those offenders from my diet-it's ALL GOOD!!

So, I'd say to try a process of elimination and find out what it is that you're ingesting to make you have the problems.

Hope it works out for you!!
#22 Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearza View Post

Personally I believe IBS is an overrated umbrella term used when the REAL issue isn't pinpointed.

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I am so sick of docs telling me that it's IBS and run me out of the office. I have suffered for TOO MANY years and docs act like it's not that big of a deal and will not try to find the problem. My stomach issues have interfered with my daily life and really took a toll on me. I could never get an answer as to what was going on. I know with some, IBS is a correct diagnoses but I felt strongly in my case it was an excuse to blow off my symptoms and they tell me there is no cure, I just have to live with it. After they diagnosed me with IBS I came home to look up the symptoms and didn't have the ones listed. The only symptom on the list I matched up with was nausea. Going to the bathroom was not the prob (tmi) that they listed as the #1 issue.

I am vegetarian but eat vegan 95% of the time. The only time I get dairy or eggs is if I am out somewhere and an egg or a little milk is cooked into something I am eating, other than that I leave it out of everything I cook at home. Before going veggie I was wayyyy too thin and could not eat because of feeling so sick all the time. I also had acid reflux bad and suffered heartburn all the time. I lived on Nexium for years to control it and if I skipped a day, I had lots of problems. Since going veggie, as of over 6 months ago, I NEVER have acid reflux and off Nexium. My stomach issues are rare now and they use to be daily. I still have issues from time to time but not near as bad. I also put on a few lbs since I can actually eat! In fact, since going veggie, I am off all of my prescription medication! I was on 5 of them.

Good luck to you and hopefully going veggie will help you and follow lots of other good advice on here from the others!
#23 Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 AM

That's so true. You have to make sure that you actually have IBS. There are many tests like complete blood count,sedimentation rate, chemistries, stool for ova, parasites, and blood, urinalysis, liver function tests,rectal exam, abdominal x-rays, colonoscopy, gynecological exam including CA-125 blood test for ovarian cancer , ultrasound, lactose/dextrose H2 breath test.
#24 Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levis_Green View Post

I need some ideas for a diet. I'm not sure as of yet if I have IBS but it's a possibility.

I suffered with IBS most of my life, even as a vegetarian, but when I went vegan a few years ago I have not had one bout of IBS, so I guess for me it was the dairy that caused mine.
#25 Old 08-21-2009, 10:01 AM

I drastically reduced my coffee intake and that seems to have done the trick.
#26 Old 08-21-2009, 03:30 PM

I found that when I switched to a vegan diet, my IBS got MUCH better. I still have flare-ups every once in a while, but they are manageable. Switching to a good multivitamin (I'm on New Chapter dailies) has also helped everything become more routine. I didn't realize I could ever be so pleased with my bowel health :P

I agree with everyone to figure out what your triggers are, and then work with that.
#27 Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 PM

I was fairly certain that I had IBS for a while, mostly my stomach problems happened when I ate yogurt. I still had it here and there almost on a daily basis (and this is as a vegetarian). Ever since I cut out dairy two weeks ago and became vegan, I haven't had one single problem...so it looks like dairy may have been my problem! I have never felt better!

My Vegan Blog - http://wheretheveggiesare.blogspot.com

Tumblr - http://runouthearts.tumblr.com

#28 Old 08-22-2009, 04:10 PM

I have heard that chiropractic care can help IBS. If you are into to that sort of thing, it may be worth a shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page