Vegan products that you avoid (for ethical reasons) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Are there are any vegan products or companies you avoid because they exploit or mistreat human workers? Do you use palm oil, eat (non-free trade) chocolate, shop at the Gap etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Ex-*****

I don't buy anything (knowingly at least) from Israel.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#3 Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I buy only organic when I can, for the workers and the environment.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to avoid palm oil.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 07-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

I don't eat/use anything with palm oil in it and I try not to buy cheap products or clothes that might have come from slave labour.

Does anyone actually know of a website where you can look up brands/companies and see how ethical they are, in terms of how they treat their workers?
#6 Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

I don't eat/use anything with palm oil in it and I try not to buy cheap products or clothes that might have come from slave labour.

Does anyone actually know of a website where you can look up brands/companies and see how ethical they are, in terms of how they treat their workers?

I'd like to know that as well.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#7 Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Beginner

I try to avoid palm oil and am working on switching to the more ethical choices for numerous products. I also choose not to support unilever, amongst other companies with a similar lack of ethics.

Ethical consumer website lists products in terms of how ethical they are, giving an ethiscore to different brands of various types of products, both the more popular/well-known brands and smaller companies which might be expected to be more ethical (and are): http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/
#8 Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Beginner

I try to avoid palm oil and am working on switching to the more ethical choices for numerous products. I also choose not to support unilever, amongst other companies with a similar lack of ethics.

Ethical consumer website lists products in terms of how ethical they are, giving an ethiscore to different brands of various types of products, both the more popular/well-known brands and smaller companies which might be expected to be more ethical (and are): http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/
#9 Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I try to avoid palm oil, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

You know, I'm split on this. I want to support Israel (or the idea of Israel, at least), but I feel like I can't... I'm quite torn on it.
#10 Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I've stopped eating all the palm-oily junk food I used to. That's about it though, because although I plan to get all future clothes either secondhand or fairtrade, I haven't bought any since going vegan.
#11 Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM

I only eat organic fresh produce, and organic beans, nuts, legumes and grains wherever possible too. In fact, 90% of everything I eat is organic.

And I try to always eat fair-trade cocoa products too

Forgive my ignorance, but why is palm oil not ethically sound? Do they exploit workers?
#12 Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella89 View Post

I only eat organic fresh produce, and organic beans, nuts, legumes and grains wherever possible too. In fact, 90% of everything I eat is organic.

And I try to always eat fair-trade cocoa products too

Forgive my ignorance, but why is palm oil not ethically sound? Do they exploit workers?

They rape the rainforests.

As far as I know, that's all... but the rainforest thing was enough for me =/

Quote:
#13 Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Cotton is the biggest item I'm trying not to use. Or ONLY get organic if I can't avoid it.

I've been only buying hemp and bamboo and other fabrics instead of cotton (not that I buy that many clothes) because so many chemicals are used on the plants and in making cotton fabric. Non-organic cotton uses more insecticides than any other single crop in the world. Chlorine bleach, hydrogen peroxide and formaldehyde are all used in the transition of cotton from plant to fabric - even "organically grown" cotton can be processed with these chemicals after harvest. AND... it takes one-quarter of a pound of chemicals to produce one conventional cotton T-shirt. Bleh. SOOOO not worth it.

OK... stepping off my soapbox now..
#14 Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never really had things with Palm oil. I never knew it was an issue, but I guess I do now.

I don't shop at Walmart. I really dislike all I hear about Walmart. I do shop at Target I don't hear as many bad things about them...

I like to think that I'll also stop buying from many major clothing companies when I have the money to do so.... I rather buy from smaller stores in which stuff was made in America (or other countries with strict human labor laws). I don't really like buying clothes from countries in which I'm unsure about how the people are treated. Its just that usually, thats what my budget can afford.

I'm trying to start buying locally, for the environment. Going to try to cook more in season things. However, because I ultimately want to be a chef and am in a huge cooking experimental phase, I'm not going to be perfect on this yet.

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#15 Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad View Post

I've never really had things with Palm oil. I never knew it was an issue, but I guess I do now.

I don't shop at Walmart. I really dislike all I hear about Walmart. I do shop at Target I don't hear as many bad things about them...

I like to think that I'll also stop buying from many major clothing companies when I have the money to do so.... I rather buy from smaller stores in which stuff was made in America (or other countries with strict human labor laws). I don't really like buying clothes from countries in which I'm unsure about how the people are treated. Its just that usually, thats what my budget can afford.

I'm trying to start buying locally, for the environment. Going to try to cook more in season things. However, because I ultimately want to be a chef and am in a huge cooking experimental phase, I'm not going to be perfect on this yet.

Target is so far from green it isn't even funny.

At leas the one I work at =/

Quote:
#16 Old 07-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Target is so far from green it isn't even funny.

At leas the one I work at =/

Oh, I wasn't really talking about green, more human labor. I'm sure most major corporations aren't green... Unfortunately mom and pop shops are getting so sparse, I don't really know where to get common necessities aside from these companies. I'm living in more of a green city this year.. hopefully there are some shops around.

#17 Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh, I wasn't really talking about green, more human labor. I'm sure most major corporations aren't green... Unfortunately mom and pop shops are getting so sparse, I don't really know where to get common necessities aside from these companies. I'm living in more of a green city this year.. hopefully there are some shops around.

Scratch & dent stores and salvage places are great sources for stuff that would otherwise end up in landfills, and I almost never feel like I have to buy dishsoap or TP or whatever else at a retail store.

Ethics-wise, you might end up supporting in some small way the methods that were used in production, but it would be much less than buying the same items, first-run, from the retail store. You would also be supporting a local business because I have yet to see a chain scratch & dent store. They may exist, just not around here.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#18 Old 07-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Summer View Post

This. Also, I haven't bought clothes in forever since I just wear what I have. The only things clothes related I bought recently were shoes but those are made from hemp and obviously vegan. I try my best not to buy foods from major crappy corps as well.

Quote:

Target really isn't much better but I do the same thing as you. It sucks because I'm always like, "Don't shop at Wal-Mart, they suck!" *goes to target*

It seems hypocritical and I guess it is Corporations are corporations...majority of them are evil.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#19 Old 07-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

Human labour they are great. ^.^

Quote:
#20 Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

"We keep hoping that somehow corporations like Kaiser Aluminum will do the right thing. By now we should have learned. To expect corporations to function differently than they do is to engage in magical thinking. The specific and explicit function of for-profit corporations is to amass wealth. The function is NOT to save salmon, nor to respect the autonomy or existence of indigenous peoples, nor to protect the vocational or personal integrity of workers, nor to support life on this planet. nor is the function to serve communities. It never has been and never will be. To expect corporations to do anything other than the purpose for which they are expressly and explicitly designed, that is, to amass wealth at the expense of human and nonhuman communities, is at the very least poor judgement, and more accurately delusional." - Derrick Jensen

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#21 Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Scratch & dent stores and salvage places are great sources for stuff that would otherwise end up in landfills, and I almost never feel like I have to buy dishsoap or TP or whatever else at a retail store.

Ethics-wise, you might end up supporting in some small way the methods that were used in production, but it would be much less than buying the same items, first-run, from the retail store. You would also be supporting a local business because I have yet to see a chain scratch & dent store. They may exist, just not around here.

I def. try shopping at thrift stores first. Its usually cheaper anyway. I haven't seen a scratch & dent store either, though I have sometimes bought damaged products online, because I see no difference. I just don't need much as a college student, but will probably seek out damaged stuff when older. ;P

If you don't buy those little necessities at retail stores, then where do you if I may ask? I try to get "green" products when I can, but I don't know where to get them aside from places like Target...

#22 Old 07-22-2009, 12:02 AM

ill avoid it if its easy to but i dont make a massive effort to go out of my way to avoid palm oil or buy free trade coffee, or avoid all companies that have unethical practices, basically, cuz unless its some small internet company, theyre all bloody unethical in some way or other. if i tried to be politically proactive on everything i was aware of as being unethical, i wouldnt be able to continue living my life the way i do, it would become impossible, and im not interested in being that sacrificial. i like to be compassionate, but not to the point where it will make my own life miserable cuz theres no point to that.
#23 Old 07-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Veggie Regular

my coffee is always fairtrade.

ever since I wrote this post, I have made a conscious effort not to buy clothes that are produced in sweatshop conditions. I don't know that I'll *never* give in, but so far the only clothes item I've bought since writing that was a pair of secondhand shoes, so I'm doing okay.
#24 Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I def. try shopping at thrift stores first. Its usually cheaper anyway. I haven't seen a scratch & dent store either, though I have sometimes bought damaged products online, because I see no difference. I just don't need much as a college student, but will probably seek out damaged stuff when older. ;P

If you don't buy those little necessities at retail stores, then where do you if I may ask? I try to get "green" products when I can, but I don't know where to get them aside from places like Target...

If you could be more specific on which items you're having trouble finding in places other than Target, I'm sure others could be more helpful.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#25 Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
If you could be more specific on which items you're having trouble finding in places other than Target, I'm sure others could be more helpful.

Well I'm just talking about things like dishwasher soap, towel paper, toilet paper, body soap, face soap, sponges etc.

I usually either buy these things at a place like Target or the local grocery store.

I try to support small local business when I can (like taking my dogs to family owned groomers, rather than Petco) but with that little stuff I wouldn't know where else to go. :P

#26 Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

Target is so far from green it isn't even funny

Target is so much better to their employees than Wal*Mart is though. It's a big box store like Wal*Mart is, but given the choice between Target and Wal*Mart I'd choose Target.

I've been buying more and more of my products from the local HFS. They're sooooo much more expensive but I don't feel heart sick using anything that I've bought there.

I didn't know about Palm Oil so I'll be avoiding that. I need some new clothes but I'm at a loss on what to do about that since I'm on a very tight budget.
#27 Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well I'm just talking about things like dishwasher soap, towel paper, toilet paper, body soap, face soap, sponges etc.

I usually either buy these things at a place like Target or the local grocery store.

I try to support small local business when I can (like taking my dogs to family owned groomers, rather than Petco) but with that little stuff I wouldn't know where else to go. :P

All of those are items I can get at the local scratch & dent. I don't use paper towels, though, so you might be able to eliminate the need for that altogether by using kitchen towels and/or rags as the situation necessitates.

IME scratch & dent stores may take some asking-around to find. Look in your phone book and see what headings it might be under. Go to your local thrift stores and ask, too, because the people there are most likely to know about scratch & dent/salvage stores. If they don't know, see if you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore in your community. They typically have home remodeling supplies, but they are also among the people I would think would know about non-retail sources for products.

#28 Old 07-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll have to remember (or bookmark) this thread for when vegans are accused of only caring about animals.

I will only buy fair-trade chocolate but I would still eat regular (vegan) chocolate if someone else is sharing. I do try to not support the regular clothing industry but I did need to buy some shoes and was happy to find out that New Balance is making some good changes:

Quote:
New Balance Trainers

Our range of New Balance training shoes are all made here in the UK and are, of course, suitable for Vegans.

http://www.ethicalwares.com/179/new-balance-trainers

The shoes I bought said they were made in the USA and while that doesn't guarantee freedom from sweatshops it does make it more likely than if they were produced in a third-world country where there are few (enforced) standards.
#29 Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Coca-cola.
#30 Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Grrrr, just had a reply from Tofutti (I have recently started eating the mozz slices and quite like them) because I noticed the palm oil on the packet:

Dear Holly:

Thank you for your recent Tofutti email. When we originally made our slices, we used partially hydrogenated soybean oil. We switched over to palm oil so that we would be able to remove the trans fats from the slices. We have not had time to update the website. Sorry, we cannot confirm the source of our palm oil.

Sincerely yours,

Steven Kass

Tofutti Brands Inc

I buy either organic/fairtrade clothing (Howies, People Tree and American Apparel get a lot of my wages) but mostly I buy second hand high street goods on ebay/charity shops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page