Switching from an animal based diet to vegan diet. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 PM

I am in the process of switching from an animal based diet to a vegan diet. It has been about two weeks since I have had any meat, and I have had cheese a few times in the past two weeks. I have been feeling very badly. What could the reason be for this? I have not been eating that well because I am learning how to plan my meals, snacks, etc. Are there any tips to make the transition easier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

But books, I really like "The Vegan Lunch Box. That has lots of nifty lunches to bring to work, or school. and Vegenomicon.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 07-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Banned

feeling badly how? hungry? weak? bloated? i think the not eating properly is probably the culprit. i'd get onto that learning thing pronto.

have you checked out our recipe forum, or the 'what did you eat today?' threads? there are also various vegan meal plans and menus online that run through a whole weeks worth of food- breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks- easy to follow.

the only other tip i'd offer is take snacks with you in your bag- veggie sticks and hummus, fruit, crackers spread with peanut butter and jam and then made into sandwiches, keep packets of nuts or seeds or trail mix in the car- stuff thats easy to grab and munch on- some of it is perhaps not the healthiest stuff on the planet, but its food, and its a start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 PM

I felt a little nauseated and i had a bad headache too. The headache is not that unusual for me I have suffered from migraines for a long time but they are typically hormone related.

Thanks for the tips. I need to go to half price books tomorrow so I will check out their cookbook section and I will grab some of those single servings of nuts and seeds while I am out.

Any other food suggestions are welcomed. I have found a few recipes I want to try so I am doing the food prep for them tonight so I will be more willing to cook since part of the work will already be done when I get home from work.
#5 Old 07-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Banned

i get sick and headachy when i don't eat and drink enough. sucks a lot. good luck with the books- i hope you find something good!
#6 Old 07-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Probably the result of not eating well, and perhaps an increase in fiber (the nausea). Check out the book Becoming Vegan.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if because you did such an extreme switch that it's just your body detoxing from your former meat diet. On top of not eating well, yeah I could see why you would be feeling awful.

Find some easy and quick recipes, like veggie chili and burritos, to keep you on track nutrition wise while you are learning the ropes. VegCooking is a good place to look.
#8 Old 07-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Beginner

If you find you're eating way more fiber, you might want to mix in starchier foods until your tummy adjusts to digesting those healthy plants.
#9 Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

It would be really hard to say why you are feeling not so good but you've got some good tips already that you can look into. Whenever someone posts something like this I think of Carl Lewis, one of the greatest track athletes ever:

Quote:
In the spring of 1991 – eight months after beginning to eat vegan – I was feeling listless and thought I might need to add protein from meat to my diet. Dr. McDougall, however, explained that my listlessness was due to my needing more calories because I was training so many hours each day, not because I needed more animal-based protein. When I increased my calorie intake, I regained my energy. I was drinking 24 to 32 ounces of juice a day. I ate no dairy products. And I had my best year as an athlete ever!

http://earthsave.org/lifestyle/carllewis.htm

Good luck on your transition.
#10 Old 07-20-2009, 11:57 AM

All good advice so far. If you post what you have been normally eating throughout the day we can give you some more feedback; when I first went vegan I got so many great ideas on improving my diet from the members here!
#11 Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with your transition. If you want to post up what you're eating in a typical day, that might help us get some idea if it's your diet that's lacking in something.

You might also want to go onto www.fitday.com and that will let you know if you're eating the right combination of foods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page