I am a failure - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried the 30 day vegan thing and massively failed. I kept forgetting. I did not eat much non-vegan, not every day, but I just plain forgot. The only reason I did not eat non-vegan every day is because I don't use much eggs or dairy anyway. Such a massive failure I was!

I am going to try again... why is it so hard for me to me to remember to be vegan when being vegetarian is no harder than remembering to breathe? I don't forget to breathe, I don't forget to be vegetarian... why so hard to remember the cheese?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

That doesn't make you a failure. It takes time for new habits to stick. Being so hard on yourself isn't going to help! Just start over
#3 Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

do you really even want to go vegan?

maybe youre just not ready to go vegan yet?

for some people it takes a while to build up the courage and motivation to know they wanna be a vegan.

if morals are that important to you, i dont think cheese would matter enough.

ive turned vegan, and yes i loved all my cakes and chocolates..but hey, sht happens, and id rather be a vegan and have substitutes..

as far as cheese, i havent even replaced it with anything, iv just plain cold turkey took it out. sometimes being a little hard on yourself means for a more rewardable outcome because you knew you could do it.

cheese is a pathogen anyway, full of moudly old ingredients..gross. pussy and artery clogging and full of disease and animal suffering.

no thankyou x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post

why is it so hard for me to me to remember to be vegan when being vegetarian is no harder than remembering to breathe? I don't forget to breathe, I don't forget to be vegetarian... why so hard to remember the cheese?

If it makes you feel any better, I've hated pancakes since I was 6. Atleast four times a year I get a massive craving for pancakes. I'll make them, nice and white like I use to love. I put a little bit of margrine on them and sprinkle with a tiny bit of sugar--I've never liked syrup and this is how my grandma did them. I'll take a bite and

Haha, I really need to get it tatoo'd on my forhead: "You hate pancakes, stop trying to eat them." haha

I made some about two months ago that were okay, but now that I'm vegan I tried a new recipe and gah, I need to stop forgetting

What about removing all the non-vegan products from your house and replacing them with vegan ones? If the rest of the family is willing, it'd make it alot easier for you
#5 Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Maybe if you buy some of the alternatives too, then you would remember.

There are tons of vegan recipes on the net too so making meals from scratch can be fun.

Me and my children are vegan and my husband is vegetarian. Being vegan I have taken to making more meals from scratch and the other day my husband commented that we are eating more varied meals since me and the children have been vegan. He still uses cows' milk and eggs for himself but he has the vegan meals or starves. We haven't yet had a meal that wasn't tasty.

As has already been said; you're not a failure, you just need to get into the routine.
#6 Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I think perhaps you aren't quite ready to be vegan. Maybe your mind isn't completely there yet? I know it took me 2 years of constantly trying and failing before I finally got to the point where I was really ready. Once it was truly time, it was pretty easy for me to finally do it for good.
#7 Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with all the other posters. Maybe you're not ready.

Possibly stay vegetarian for a while longer, and then possibly cut out animal products one by one until you're fully vegan?

You're not a failure.

#8 Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't be so hard on yourself. It is hard for some of us in the beginning.

When do you find yourself eating cheese? If it is simply a matter of habit, then perhaps you should keep some vegan cheese on hand for those times when you find yourself reaching for the non-vegan stuff.

Reading up on the dairy industry and dairy itself may also help you remember. You can start here.

Good luck, Peach. I know you can do it! And I know you are ready for this. Just put your mind to it, and I think in time you will find being vegan to be almost second nature.
#9 Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peach View Post

Such a massive failure I was!

Hey now, don't talk yourself down like that, just try it again Most people have screwed things up once or twice, not a big deal. Look at me: before I became a vegan I had been a vegetarian for six months, and I kept buying cheese with rennet in it of all things, and I was oblivious to it. It only caused me to try harder when I found out.

Don't ever feel guilty for failing, just keep trying
#10 Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't believe all the references to "FAILING"!! With the expectation that you've "failed" once you eat a non-vegan item, it's all the harder to start again, or even to keep going! If I thought I'd "failed" every time something non-vegan slipped into my life, I'd be so discouraged by now nothing would make it worth the effort.

It's been said over and over on these boards. Veganism is a journey. None of us are "perfect" but no one is a FAILURE. Not EVER! You may wander off the trail, but as long as veganism is your goal, you're still heading in the same direction as everyone else... it takes some people longer, their journey may be more difficult, but you just keep going back and doing it until it gets easier.

And all those people out there who said "Oh, veganism was easy, I went totally vegan overnight and never slipped up and never will..." Don't buy it.

You can do it!! Good luck! Stick around and let us know how it goes!!
#11 Old 07-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Would it help if you thought about the other creatures and if you made the major realization that by not consuming animal products you will be helping them out? (think of their eyes watching you and their ears listening ...)
#12 Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

"The only slip up is to give up" - Dr Leslie Van Romer

Hang in there! You're human which means you're imperfect (like the rest of us).
#13 Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not ready to go vegan, no. It was only for 30 days, though, so it is not like it should have been that hard. I may not be "ready to go vegan" as in for life, but I am ready to listen to the message certain people here are bringing and ready to give it some thought. I wanted to think about it while living the lifestyle. Yesterday was vegan, day before was, today will be, so I will start again.
#14 Old 07-14-2009, 11:40 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself, we all slip up some times, it doesn't mean you're a failure!

I had the same problem when I was first attempting to go vegan. I didn't even think about it and wouldn't realize it until I was part way through my meal, then I'd want to kick myself. I finally reached a point where I didn't have to try anymore, I made the mental switch right then and there and never looked back, but it took me a while to get to that point.

Going vegan was one of my new years resolutions, I was going to make the leap the moment the clock struck midnight... I struggled with it and the day I finally went vegan was Tuesday April 7th. Don't give up, it will happen, one day you will find yourself there and until then each time you find yourself slipping up just accept it and move on. You'll get there!
#15 Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

So totally not a failure! My bf can't even manage vegetarian for 1 day! Every day you eat vegan is a benefit to the Earth and the animals, so you should congratulate yourself. Also, don't let pressure get to you. No-one is saying you MUST be a vegan. Being vegetarian is great and you should do what's right for you, if you aren't ready to go vegan then fine! We're not all cut out to be vegans, yet!
#16 Old 07-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you are a failiure, but I agree with others who said that you might not be ready. Read up on all the horrible stuff that happens to the chickens in the egg industry...all the male chicks that die for that omlette, and how they are cramped in tight cages. Read up on all the bad things that happen to the cows in the milk industry. All the cow mothers who only get to see their calfs for what seems like mere moments and it's taken away from them to be slaughtered for veal, and then humans get to drink the milk she should be giving to her baby! Go watch some peta videos and then if you are really ready to take on the challenge...if you really want to make a difference and stop going with the flow, then make yourself a list of why you are doing this and post that on your fridge, or put it in your wallet or anywhere you think would be a good place that would remind you everytime you reach for that block of cheese or whatever your downfall is.

Veganism is a journey...it's a great one at that...but everyone makes mistakes along the way. The difference between the ones that fail and the ones that succeed is that they get up and shake the dust off their clothes and get back on that waggon!

You can do it! Believe in yourself!!
#17 Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I messed around with vegetarianism and veganism for a while. But I never once made a committment to it for a deep, ethical reason. So I "failed" for a while too.

But last week, something just clicked. I watched some videos, and it was a purely ethical decision.

I have not felt tempted by a single thing. Not one. I haven't had a moment of longing. I was scared I might, really scared. But it was a silly fear. Since this is an ethical decision, I could no sooner punch a child now than I could intentionally consume an animal product. To me, the ethics behind it are equally strong. It's just not something I would DO.

But before? I hadn't had THAT ethical revelation, and I "failed" a lot when I was dabbling in the vegetarian diet and vegan lifestyle. It didn't make me a bad person then, and it doesn't make me a bad person now just because I went though those periods. I put failure in quotes because it wasn't really failure.

How could I fail at something I hadn't even truly committed myself to?

So go easy on yourself. If it's important to you to do this? You will.
#18 Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToulouse View Post

... don't let pressure get to you. No-one is saying you MUST be a vegan.

Sadly, sometimes the unsaid implication - even on Veggieboards (*gasp*) is that everyone who starts out as a vegetarian MUST become a vegan. Even implying someone "isn't ready" as if it's this lofty and almost unattainable ideal goal that everyone will eventually reach when they become..."ready"...
#19 Old 07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Sadly, sometimes the unsaid implication - even on Veggieboards (*gasp*) is that everyone who starts out as a vegetarian MUST become a vegan. Even implying someone "isn't ready" as if it's this lofty and almost unattainable ideal goal that everyone will eventually reach when they become..."ready"...

I don't think it's a must, like twist your arm you have to or else. But I have this hope that eventually everyone, not just vegetarians or pescetarians, or those who only eat white meat, but everyone...even those who love bacon too much...will eventually become vegan. I dunno, maybe I am too much of a utopianist...but I really hope that we will eventually all be vegans, and look back onto these days with horror. I guess it's the dreamer in me, who also believes in no borders....etc.
#20 Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

I don't think it's a must, like twist your arm you have to or else. But I have this hope that eventually everyone, not just vegetarians or pescetarians, or those who only eat white meat, but everyone...even those who love bacon too much...will eventually become vegan. I dunno, maybe I am too much of a utopianist...but I really hope that we will eventually all be vegans, and look back onto these days with horror. I guess it's the dreamer in me, who also believes in no borders....etc.

Yes me too. Its not a lofty goal anyway; its the bare minimum of common decency toward all animals, not just human ones.

Though I never assume vegetarians are on a path to veganism. They might just be doing it for their health, or because they are squeamish about eating dead things.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#21 Old 07-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedre View Post

I don't think of it as utopianist... I just call it optimism!

I believe everyone has the capacity for the compassion needed to be vegan. And certainly everyone I associate with. I may be the only vegan I know, but I don't think I'm the only one with the capacity.

I don't think everyone *has* to be vegan, nor do I look down on people who aren't. That sort of negativity doesn't benefit anyone, including me. Negativity and anger breeds negativity and anger.
#22 Old 07-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran View Post

"The only slip up is to give up" - Dr Leslie Van Romer

Hang in there! You're human which means you're imperfect (like the rest of us).

Well said

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#23 Old 07-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

I don't think of it as utopianist... I just call it optimism!

I believe everyone has the capacity for the compassion needed to be vegan. And certainly everyone I associate with. I may be the only vegan I know, but I don't think I'm the only one with the capacity.

I don't think everyone *has* to be vegan, nor do I look down on people who aren't. That sort of negativity doesn't benefit anyone, including me. Negativity and anger breeds negativity and anger.

I am the only vegan I know too, but i also think that other people who are not at the point, ever or yet, are decent people too.

My husband is a veggie, not a vegan and I know in his heart he cares for all creatures, he is just not ready to make that step. He tried and had to step back to veggie for a bit. He is still in the right direction, which is the point

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#24 Old 07-16-2009, 03:45 PM

Why are you trying to go vegan? For health reasons? For animal cruelty reasons? A lot of 100% vegans have a great compassion for animals and not using any animal products or anything that has been tested on animals.

When you "slipped" how did you slip? Keep the animals in mind when in doubt.
#25 Old 07-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply_Love View Post

If it makes you feel any better, I've hated pancakes since I was 6. Atleast four times a year I get a massive craving for pancakes. I'll make them, nice and white like I use to love. I put a little bit of margrine on them and sprinkle with a tiny bit of sugar--I've never liked syrup and this is how my grandma did them. I'll take a bite and

Haha, I really need to get it tatoo'd on my forhead: "You hate pancakes, stop trying to eat them." haha

I made some about two months ago that were okay, but now that I'm vegan I tried a new recipe and gah, I need to stop forgetting

What about removing all the non-vegan products from your house and replacing them with vegan ones? If the rest of the family is willing, it'd make it alot easier for you

I just have to say, this story is HILARIOUS!!

PP, I've made two concerted efforts in the past nine years to go vegan. Neither were long-lasting, and both times I went back to being lacto-ovo. I'm still lacto-ovo, but someday I'm going to give veganism another full-fledged attempt.

For now I do little things like choose the margarine with dairy listed as one of the last ingredients rather than one of the first. (When I can't get Earth Balance), or make tofu scramble instead of scrambled eggs. You can think of veganism as a series of choices, not one big choice. If you can make several conscious choices in a week to eat something that is vegan instead of the thing sitting next to it that is not, that's something. You could try to increase the amount of choices you make in a week or a day that moves you in the direction of veganism.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#26 Old 07-17-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopussoir View Post

Why are you trying to go vegan? For health reasons? For animal cruelty reasons? A lot of 100% vegans have a great compassion for animals and not using any animal products or anything that has been tested on animals.

When you "slipped" how did you slip? Keep the animals in mind when in doubt.

Well said octopussoir. Btw, is that you in your avatar? I'd love to know what vegan foods you eat to get that figure!

Princess Peach, how about you post a typical breakdown of the meals you eat in a typical day or week and we can help you to make suggestions that will eliminate the animal products?
#27 Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Veggie View Post

Well said octopussoir. Btw, is that you in your avatar? I'd love to know what vegan foods you eat to get that figure!

There have been several vegan body builders here on VB through the years. Great examples of how healthy a vegan diet is for anyone!

Also, Google Robert Cheeke, he's a vegan bodybuilder and has lots of information about his diet available on various websites...
#28 Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Veggie Regular

FWIW, I can't complete a 30 day challenge either...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page