SFP LXII: Ugh, Too Many Leftover Tofurky Slut Sammiches! - Page 31 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#901 Old 11-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Check this out: it has a recipe for the sausages along with a video explaining what to do. Easy peasy!

http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...ipe&recipe=109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

The Seitan recipes in La Dolce Vegan always turn out perfect.

Every other recipe I've tried (including Vegan with a Vengeance's) turn out horribly textured.

I'll have to give both of these a try!

Quote:

Yeah it can be a little bit chewy

How did you cook it though? I've made the boiled kind and it's very blah. The steamed kind (recipe I posted) is much better (although I can't say the texture would be to your liking.. but who knows?)

I believe both of them were boiled. I know for sure the most recent one was. I got that one from Veganomicon.

I don't have a steamer though, is there another way I could steam it instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#902 Old 11-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Katt I'm sorry you got stuck in that situation!
#903 Old 11-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

ok so it's not Thanksgiving here, but I want to make this.

http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...ipe&recipe=148
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#904 Old 11-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post

ok so it's not Thanksgiving here, but I want to make this.

http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...ipe&recipe=148

AhhH! It's setitan-y....

*hides*
#905 Old 11-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Seitan is goooood!
#906 Old 11-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post

**** the holidays. This is the story of why I will never let my father make holiday plans without me having some say in what goes down. It's rather long.

I guess my thanksgiving could be described as something that would only be seen in some sort of horrible family comedy movie or something out of a horrible Chevy Chase "Holiday" movie.

There was that unwritten rule that has been made since I went vegetarian a long ass time ago that I do. not. go out to eat at restaurant that is serving thanksgiving dinner. The first year year my dad and I went to IHOP because we didn't make plans and that was fine. I was clueless anyway and didn't know how to cook so it was all good. I had a grilled cheese and it was delicious. I never really cared for turkey anyway, so it worked out.

I always spend the Wednesday before cooking up a stupid amount of food where 75% of the dishes are vegan, the other 25% vegetarian. It works out because it keeps me busy and makes sure that others that might have milk allergies are provided something. I love being in the kitchen and it makes me feel good and about the only time during the day that I'm going to be smiling and happy to be around. I also make myself a main dish so I have something to point at when I have idiot close minded relatives who can't grasp the idea that yes, I do get protein.

Not this year.

No, against my warnings that there will be NOTHING for me to eat at any stupid restaurant that is serving Thanksgiving dinner, my idiot father decides to drag me out to the Kansas-Oklahoma border to visit family, who I've NEVER seen eat at home. No opportunity for me to make some delicious food to take along because there's no way for me to reheat it or even keep it within food-safe temperatures on the three hour car ride.

I got mildly carsick on the way there (I can't sit in the backseat for a long time, it makes me sick to my stomach) and I'm dizzy as hell already. I stopped at a gas station and picked up some vitaminwater to see if that would help, but it didn't do much. I tried sleeping but I felt like I was going to get ill any second and closing my eyes didn't help. I managed to keep breakfast in my stomach where it belonged.

We're waiting around for my grandfather and his wife (they've been married for 20ish years and I've met her twice.. once when I was three years old and then last week, I don't know what to call her since he re-married after my grandmother passed 25 years ago) for a while. They show up, and she parks in the space adjacent to the van-accessible handicapped parking areas. The area with the yellow lines across it that mean DO NOT PARK HERE.

And we wait some more for a table. We finally get told one opened up, but we have to WAIT for a few minutes while one person finishes eating. This of course doesn't make his wife happy so she wobbles over to the table and *****es at this lady to GET AWAY FROM HER TABLE!!!11one

I'm mortified. I sit as far as possible away from this woman and try to avoid eye contact with her.

So I'm looking at other people's plates and seeing that it's all covered in meat and gravy. I try to figure out a way for me to ask the waitress if I can just have a plate of green beans, plain potatoes and a roll, but before that happens I'm suddenly looking at a huge plate of food that is coated in a layer of gravy. The green beans appeared vegetarian, but were right next to the turkey and half were covered in gravy. The same with the mashed potatoes, roll, yams and even the ****ing cranberry sauce.

What happens next can only be considered severe overload of the brain. While I'm normally more than willing to just stand up for myself and say "WHAT THE CRAP I'M A VEGETARIAN OKAY?!?!!?" but since I'm with my overly conservative grandparents I'm trying to figure out if there's any way I can just discreetly get rid of this food and get something different. I really try to be polite around them and I always feel bad making myself stand out by doing something like that since I already stick out on my own. So my options are to give someone else my food (that got me a death glare from my father when I tried handing it to him even though he hadn't been served yet), find a waitress and let them deal with it, pick around the food (which I HATE doing because it sends the wrong signal to people when they will then tell me I can do things like pick the meatballs out of marinara sauce or take the meat off sandwiches besides the fact that it's ****ing gross to put something in your mouth when you think it's safe and instead there's a hunk of turkey) or just sit there. My head is spinning because I'm not sure what I'm going to do, and I'm getting more upset and angry by the second because I'm not sure what the hell is going on. My heart starts racing and oh crap I think I'm getting a panic attack because I don't know what to dooooooooooooooo.

AAaaaand that's when I realize I'm starting to get teary eyed because when all else fails, the brain decides it's time to make my predicament even more mortifying by making me cry. I try fighting it off but it's useless. I run to the bathroom and lock myself in a stall because I'm so pissed and upset and embarrassed. I try to regain my composure but it's not happening. I knew if I went out in my state of mind I would end up embarrassing myself even more and yelling at my father because in my mind, it would have been completely justified on my part to tell him how he ruined my day.

I stayed in there for an hour. Apparently during my hiding, idiot wife asks why I acted like that because apparently she was oblivious to the fact I was a vegetarian. "Can't she eat the stuffing? Can't she eat the mashed potatoes? Can't she eat the green beans? Can't she eat _____?" A: The stuffing is coated in giblet gravy and probably wasn't even vegetarian in the first place, the mashed potatoes are also covered in gravy, the green beans are likely cooked with bacon and OH YEAH COVERED IN GRAVY! etc;.

I guess my grandpa understood because he's Celiac and can't eat gluten (Woo, we make a perfect match.. former dairy farmer/celiac plus a vegetarian who loves seitan) and thus has problems most places as well.

So yeah, I ruined Thanksgiving. I don't really give a damn right now because if there would have been a little bit of listening to me when I reminded my idiot father that yeah, that's not going to work out. I still haven't had the opportunity to tell my idiot father WHY this was so ****ing horrible. I really like having a day where I can make a ton of food and pig out on food that's good tasting rather than

Luckily, awesome aunt of mine saved the day by having a quasi-thanksgiving at her house and since my cousin was a vegetarian for a few years she knew to keep stuff separate. I managed to finally eat something there and avoided the usual "OMG I'M CLOSE MINDED AND CAN'T GRASP THE CONCEPT OF PEOPLE NOT EATING MEAT BECAUSE THEY'LL DIE WITHOUT PROTEIN" conversation because it's happened before already. But it wasn't the same as me feeling like a kitchen goddess and it was nowhere close to a real thanksgiving feast.

TLDR: I had a mild panic attack and started crying at lunch because I was served a crap ton of meat, then hid in the bathroom for the rest of the lunch to avoid family. Luckily my cool aunt saved the day by having thanksgiving at her place which I finally got to eat food.

I'm sorry, katt. Thank goodness for your aunt

I helped make baskets that are being sent out from my mom's work to their clients for Christmas. 'twas lots of fun, and I got $50 and lunch and got to hang out with a bunch of awesome people
#907 Old 11-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post

**** the holidays. This is the story of why I will never let my father make holiday plans without me having some say in what goes down. It's rather long.

I guess my thanksgiving could be described as something that would only be seen in some sort of horrible family comedy movie or something out of a horrible Chevy Chase "Holiday" movie.

There was that unwritten rule that has been made since I went vegetarian a long ass time ago that I do. not. go out to eat at restaurant that is serving thanksgiving dinner. The first year year my dad and I went to IHOP because we didn't make plans and that was fine. I was clueless anyway and didn't know how to cook so it was all good. I had a grilled cheese and it was delicious. I never really cared for turkey anyway, so it worked out.

I always spend the Wednesday before cooking up a stupid amount of food where 75% of the dishes are vegan, the other 25% vegetarian. It works out because it keeps me busy and makes sure that others that might have milk allergies are provided something. I love being in the kitchen and it makes me feel good and about the only time during the day that I'm going to be smiling and happy to be around. I also make myself a main dish so I have something to point at when I have idiot close minded relatives who can't grasp the idea that yes, I do get protein.

Not this year.

No, against my warnings that there will be NOTHING for me to eat at any stupid restaurant that is serving Thanksgiving dinner, my idiot father decides to drag me out to the Kansas-Oklahoma border to visit family, who I've NEVER seen eat at home. No opportunity for me to make some delicious food to take along because there's no way for me to reheat it or even keep it within food-safe temperatures on the three hour car ride.

I got mildly carsick on the way there (I can't sit in the backseat for a long time, it makes me sick to my stomach) and I'm dizzy as hell already. I stopped at a gas station and picked up some vitaminwater to see if that would help, but it didn't do much. I tried sleeping but I felt like I was going to get ill any second and closing my eyes didn't help. I managed to keep breakfast in my stomach where it belonged.

We're waiting around for my grandfather and his wife (they've been married for 20ish years and I've met her twice.. once when I was three years old and then last week, I don't know what to call her since he re-married after my grandmother passed 25 years ago) for a while. They show up, and she parks in the space adjacent to the van-accessible handicapped parking areas. The area with the yellow lines across it that mean DO NOT PARK HERE.

And we wait some more for a table. We finally get told one opened up, but we have to WAIT for a few minutes while one person finishes eating. This of course doesn't make his wife happy so she wobbles over to the table and *****es at this lady to GET AWAY FROM HER TABLE!!!11one

I'm mortified. I sit as far as possible away from this woman and try to avoid eye contact with her.

So I'm looking at other people's plates and seeing that it's all covered in meat and gravy. I try to figure out a way for me to ask the waitress if I can just have a plate of green beans, plain potatoes and a roll, but before that happens I'm suddenly looking at a huge plate of food that is coated in a layer of gravy. The green beans appeared vegetarian, but were right next to the turkey and half were covered in gravy. The same with the mashed potatoes, roll, yams and even the ****ing cranberry sauce.

What happens next can only be considered severe overload of the brain. While I'm normally more than willing to just stand up for myself and say "WHAT THE CRAP I'M A VEGETARIAN OKAY?!?!!?" but since I'm with my overly conservative grandparents I'm trying to figure out if there's any way I can just discreetly get rid of this food and get something different. I really try to be polite around them and I always feel bad making myself stand out by doing something like that since I already stick out on my own. So my options are to give someone else my food (that got me a death glare from my father when I tried handing it to him even though he hadn't been served yet), find a waitress and let them deal with it, pick around the food (which I HATE doing because it sends the wrong signal to people when they will then tell me I can do things like pick the meatballs out of marinara sauce or take the meat off sandwiches besides the fact that it's ****ing gross to put something in your mouth when you think it's safe and instead there's a hunk of turkey) or just sit there. My head is spinning because I'm not sure what I'm going to do, and I'm getting more upset and angry by the second because I'm not sure what the hell is going on. My heart starts racing and oh crap I think I'm getting a panic attack because I don't know what to dooooooooooooooo.

AAaaaand that's when I realize I'm starting to get teary eyed because when all else fails, the brain decides it's time to make my predicament even more mortifying by making me cry. I try fighting it off but it's useless. I run to the bathroom and lock myself in a stall because I'm so pissed and upset and embarrassed. I try to regain my composure but it's not happening. I knew if I went out in my state of mind I would end up embarrassing myself even more and yelling at my father because in my mind, it would have been completely justified on my part to tell him how he ruined my day.

I stayed in there for an hour. Apparently during my hiding, idiot wife asks why I acted like that because apparently she was oblivious to the fact I was a vegetarian. "Can't she eat the stuffing? Can't she eat the mashed potatoes? Can't she eat the green beans? Can't she eat _____?" A: The stuffing is coated in giblet gravy and probably wasn't even vegetarian in the first place, the mashed potatoes are also covered in gravy, the green beans are likely cooked with bacon and OH YEAH COVERED IN GRAVY! etc;.

I guess my grandpa understood because he's Celiac and can't eat gluten (Woo, we make a perfect match.. former dairy farmer/celiac plus a vegetarian who loves seitan) and thus has problems most places as well.

So yeah, I ruined Thanksgiving. I don't really give a damn right now because if there would have been a little bit of listening to me when I reminded my idiot father that yeah, that's not going to work out. I still haven't had the opportunity to tell my idiot father WHY this was so ****ing horrible. I really like having a day where I can make a ton of food and pig out on food that's good tasting rather than

Luckily, awesome aunt of mine saved the day by having a quasi-thanksgiving at her house and since my cousin was a vegetarian for a few years she knew to keep stuff separate. I managed to finally eat something there and avoided the usual "OMG I'M CLOSE MINDED AND CAN'T GRASP THE CONCEPT OF PEOPLE NOT EATING MEAT BECAUSE THEY'LL DIE WITHOUT PROTEIN" conversation because it's happened before already. But it wasn't the same as me feeling like a kitchen goddess and it was nowhere close to a real thanksgiving feast.

TLDR: I had a mild panic attack and started crying at lunch because I was served a crap ton of meat, then hid in the bathroom for the rest of the lunch to avoid family. Luckily my cool aunt saved the day by having thanksgiving at her place which I finally got to eat food.

Aww katt, I'm really sorry you had a sucky experience on Thanksgiving. Thank goodness for your aunt!

Quote:

Katt, you can come spend next TG with us. We'll spend the day cooking up vegan awesomeness in the kitchen and sit down to a turkey free dinner.

Noooo come to El Lay. Katt, you would have died stuffed and happy yesterday. There was a freakin' truckload of food with a ton left over. There were 35 people there and I swear there was enough left over to feed at least 10 more people. There was Three Sisters Stew my sisters made, rice dishes from the Persians, tons of roasted veggies my mom brought, and vegan pies I bought. Plus two different kinds of salads and dinner rolls, both soft and sourdough. Not to mention a special vegetarian stuffing my aunt made. PLUS cranberry sauce, cranberry relish, and cranberry chutney. Seriously. Seriously, at the first opportunity, take a Thanksgiving vaycay to SoCal and I'll feed you right.

*this space not for sale*
#908 Old 11-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Noooo come to El Lay. Katt, you would have died stuffed and happy yesterday. There was a freakin' truckload of food with a ton left over. There were 35 people there and I swear there was enough left over to feed at least 10 more people. There was Three Sisters Stew my sisters made, rice dishes from the Persians, tons of roasted veggies my mom brought, and vegan pies I bought. Plus two different kinds of salads and dinner rolls, both soft and sourdough. Seriously, at the first opportunity, take a Thanksgiving vaycay to SoCal and I'll feed you right.

At this rate you'll have all of the sluts over next Thanksgiving!
#909 Old 11-28-2008, 12:55 PM

don't know if anyone has seen this, but it's pretty cool anyway

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...archive-online
#910 Old 11-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by icreep heather View Post

#911 Old 11-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Totally I should come, too, since we never cook our own Thanksgiving dinner (we either go out or go to someone else's house) lol
#912 Old 11-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Party at Amy's! We have a years notice
#913 Old 11-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I neglected to mention the appetizers. hummus with pita and bagel chips. Salsa, guacamole and tortilla chips. Potato chips with dips. Raw veggies with dips. If you're not careful you could fill up on that and not eat the rest of the food. I barely managed to stay away from it all.

#914 Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't have a steamer though, is there another way I could steam it instead?

Hmmm, that depends on what you have access to... Maybe if you had a big pot and some sort of rack you could fit into it and place the seitan on that...??

We have a steamer so I just use that
#915 Old 11-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I neglected to mention the appetizers. hummus with pita and bagel chips. Salsa, guacamole and tortilla chips. Potato chips with dips. Raw veggies with dips. If you're not careful you could fill up on that and not eat the rest of the food. I barely managed to stay away from it all.

You're making me really hungry, Amy!
#916 Old 11-28-2008, 01:09 PM

you guys are killing me with all this food talk. i've had a bagel w/ peanut butter all day
#917 Old 11-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholy024 View Post

you guys are killing me with all this food talk. i've had a bagel w/ peanut butter all day

#918 Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

understand that. guess they wanted to make sure that your entire being was brought in instead of just part of it. wouldn't want any part of you to feel left out

They were totally and entirely not happy with me

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#919 Old 11-28-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirrlup View Post

They were totally and entirely not happy with me

yeah, i wouldn't know anything about someone being completely unhappy with me. Everyone loves me all the time...
#920 Old 11-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I want Chinese food. *stomach rumbles* and yet I brought non Chinese leftovers from yesterday for lunch.

#921 Old 11-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hmmm, that depends on what you have access to... Maybe if you had a big pot and some sort of rack you could fit into it and place the seitan on that...??

We have a steamer so I just use that

Maybe I should break down and buy a steamer

I could use it for several things, if I just stop being lazy
#922 Old 11-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I want Chinese food. *stomach rumbles* and yet I brought non Chinese leftovers from yesterday for lunch.

I had pei wei

*hides*
#923 Old 11-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I had pei wei

*hides*

What did your fortune cookie say?

#924 Old 11-28-2008, 01:26 PM

some veggie lo mein would be nice...
#925 Old 11-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I want Dragon House, but 3 times I've found meat in my food
#926 Old 11-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Heather 2 and Bella : I bought House seasons 2 and 3
#927 Old 11-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What did your fortune cookie say?

I gave it away...

Quote:

some veggie lo mein would be nice...

I love their tofu sooo much.
#928 Old 11-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Heather 2 and Bella : I bought House seasons 2 and 3

Soooo when you gonna send me copies??

Kidding
#929 Old 11-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yeah, i wouldn't know anything about someone being completely unhappy with me. Everyone loves me all the time...

I was being evil and impounding their car

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

#930 Old 11-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wanna join!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page