SFP LXII: Ugh, Too Many Leftover Tofurky Slut Sammiches! - Page 30 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#871 Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Chanukah starts the evening of Dec 21st.

My sister and BIL will be spending Christmas in Hawaii. They didn't even invite me to go with them. It's not like they're newlyweds or anything, they've been married for about 25 years.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#872 Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

My bangs need cut.

Again?

I'll fly out there and cut 'em for you.

#873 Old 11-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Heather, you bought The Holiday, too? That's the one where I get those Christmas songs stuck in an endless loop in my head. But ohhhh Jude Law...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#874 Old 11-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Again?

I'll fly out there and cut 'em for you.

They havnt been cut for a few months, hair grows.

my mom will cut them later.
#875 Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Heather, you bought The Holiday, too? That's the one where I get those Christmas songs stuck in an endless loop in my head. But ohhhh Jude Law...

Jack Black was pretty good in that...oh,
#876 Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There are only a handful of radiological technologists working here today. It's a skeleton crew today.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! get it? A skeleton crew!

I crack myself up sometimes.

Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post

Me, we don't have Black Friday here.

Yeah you do. Except it's called Boxing Day
#877 Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

#878 Old 11-28-2008, 11:54 AM

I thought this was pretty good. It's called 'Egg Drop Fail'
#879 Old 11-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmm leftover seitan sausage sammiches
#880 Old 11-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm scared of seitan
#881 Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by icreep heather View Post

I'm scared of seitan

Noooo!!! Don't be!! Why are you afraid of it?
#882 Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

**** the holidays. This is the story of why I will never let my father make holiday plans without me having some say in what goes down. It's rather long.

I guess my thanksgiving could be described as something that would only be seen in some sort of horrible family comedy movie or something out of a horrible Chevy Chase "Holiday" movie.

There was that unwritten rule that has been made since I went vegetarian a long ass time ago that I do. not. go out to eat at restaurant that is serving thanksgiving dinner. The first year year my dad and I went to IHOP because we didn't make plans and that was fine. I was clueless anyway and didn't know how to cook so it was all good. I had a grilled cheese and it was delicious. I never really cared for turkey anyway, so it worked out.

I always spend the Wednesday before cooking up a stupid amount of food where 75% of the dishes are vegan, the other 25% vegetarian. It works out because it keeps me busy and makes sure that others that might have milk allergies are provided something. I love being in the kitchen and it makes me feel good and about the only time during the day that I'm going to be smiling and happy to be around. I also make myself a main dish so I have something to point at when I have idiot close minded relatives who can't grasp the idea that yes, I do get protein.

Not this year.

No, against my warnings that there will be NOTHING for me to eat at any stupid restaurant that is serving Thanksgiving dinner, my idiot father decides to drag me out to the Kansas-Oklahoma border to visit family, who I've NEVER seen eat at home. No opportunity for me to make some delicious food to take along because there's no way for me to reheat it or even keep it within food-safe temperatures on the three hour car ride.

I got mildly carsick on the way there (I can't sit in the backseat for a long time, it makes me sick to my stomach) and I'm dizzy as hell already. I stopped at a gas station and picked up some vitaminwater to see if that would help, but it didn't do much. I tried sleeping but I felt like I was going to get ill any second and closing my eyes didn't help. I managed to keep breakfast in my stomach where it belonged.

We're waiting around for my grandfather and his wife (they've been married for 20ish years and I've met her twice.. once when I was three years old and then last week, I don't know what to call her since he re-married after my grandmother passed 25 years ago) for a while. They show up, and she parks in the space adjacent to the van-accessible handicapped parking areas. The area with the yellow lines across it that mean DO NOT PARK HERE.

And we wait some more for a table. We finally get told one opened up, but we have to WAIT for a few minutes while one person finishes eating. This of course doesn't make his wife happy so she wobbles over to the table and *****es at this lady to GET AWAY FROM HER TABLE!!!11one

I'm mortified. I sit as far as possible away from this woman and try to avoid eye contact with her.

So I'm looking at other people's plates and seeing that it's all covered in meat and gravy. I try to figure out a way for me to ask the waitress if I can just have a plate of green beans, plain potatoes and a roll, but before that happens I'm suddenly looking at a huge plate of food that is coated in a layer of gravy. The green beans appeared vegetarian, but were right next to the turkey and half were covered in gravy. The same with the mashed potatoes, roll, yams and even the ****ing cranberry sauce.

What happens next can only be considered severe overload of the brain. While I'm normally more than willing to just stand up for myself and say "WHAT THE CRAP I'M A VEGETARIAN OKAY?!?!!?" but since I'm with my overly conservative grandparents I'm trying to figure out if there's any way I can just discreetly get rid of this food and get something different. I really try to be polite around them and I always feel bad making myself stand out by doing something like that since I already stick out on my own. So my options are to give someone else my food (that got me a death glare from my father when I tried handing it to him even though he hadn't been served yet), find a waitress and let them deal with it, pick around the food (which I HATE doing because it sends the wrong signal to people when they will then tell me I can do things like pick the meatballs out of marinara sauce or take the meat off sandwiches besides the fact that it's ****ing gross to put something in your mouth when you think it's safe and instead there's a hunk of turkey) or just sit there. My head is spinning because I'm not sure what I'm going to do, and I'm getting more upset and angry by the second because I'm not sure what the hell is going on. My heart starts racing and oh crap I think I'm getting a panic attack because I don't know what to dooooooooooooooo.

AAaaaand that's when I realize I'm starting to get teary eyed because when all else fails, the brain decides it's time to make my predicament even more mortifying by making me cry. I try fighting it off but it's useless. I run to the bathroom and lock myself in a stall because I'm so pissed and upset and embarrassed. I try to regain my composure but it's not happening. I knew if I went out in my state of mind I would end up embarrassing myself even more and yelling at my father because in my mind, it would have been completely justified on my part to tell him how he ruined my day.

I stayed in there for an hour. Apparently during my hiding, idiot wife asks why I acted like that because apparently she was oblivious to the fact I was a vegetarian. "Can't she eat the stuffing? Can't she eat the mashed potatoes? Can't she eat the green beans? Can't she eat _____?" A: The stuffing is coated in giblet gravy and probably wasn't even vegetarian in the first place, the mashed potatoes are also covered in gravy, the green beans are likely cooked with bacon and OH YEAH COVERED IN GRAVY! etc;.

I guess my grandpa understood because he's Celiac and can't eat gluten (Woo, we make a perfect match.. former dairy farmer/celiac plus a vegetarian who loves seitan) and thus has problems most places as well.

So yeah, I ruined Thanksgiving. I don't really give a damn right now because if there would have been a little bit of listening to me when I reminded my idiot father that yeah, that's not going to work out. I still haven't had the opportunity to tell my idiot father WHY this was so ****ing horrible. I really like having a day where I can make a ton of food and pig out on food that's good tasting rather than

Luckily, awesome aunt of mine saved the day by having a quasi-thanksgiving at her house and since my cousin was a vegetarian for a few years she knew to keep stuff separate. I managed to finally eat something there and avoided the usual "OMG I'M CLOSE MINDED AND CAN'T GRASP THE CONCEPT OF PEOPLE NOT EATING MEAT BECAUSE THEY'LL DIE WITHOUT PROTEIN" conversation because it's happened before already. But it wasn't the same as me feeling like a kitchen goddess and it was nowhere close to a real thanksgiving feast.

TLDR: I had a mild panic attack and started crying at lunch because I was served a crap ton of meat, then hid in the bathroom for the rest of the lunch to avoid family. Luckily my cool aunt saved the day by having thanksgiving at her place which I finally got to eat food.
#883 Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Check this out: it has a recipe for the sausages along with a video explaining what to do. Easy peasy!

http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...ipe&recipe=109
#884 Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm scared of seitan

do you think there will be crowds mobbing me at the drugstore today? I need a few things there, like band-aids.

#885 Old 11-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Only "OMIGOD Christmas is four days away and I haven't bought a thing yet! OMIGOD!"

#886 Old 11-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

for cryin' out loud, katt, I had to print out your post to read on my lunch break.

#887 Old 11-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Katt

Sorry, that really sucks
#888 Old 11-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Katt, you can come spend next TG with us. We'll spend the day cooking up vegan awesomeness in the kitchen and sit down to a turkey free dinner.
#889 Old 11-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

for cryin' out loud, katt, I had to print out your post to read on my lunch break.

Hahah I'm a journalist that enjoys story telling I guess.

It really can be condensed down into I cried at thanksgiving because I was incredibly angry and upset at my family for not listening to me and forcing me to go to a restaurant that I knew wouldn't have anything to eat even though I offered to cook because it makes me happy.

27 days 'till I'm legal!
#890 Old 11-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I LOVE that movie. It's cute.
#891 Old 11-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Noooo!!! Don't be!! Why are you afraid of it?

I don't like the textures of the kinds I've had. But then again I've made my own. I've followed the directions to the word...and they turned out horrible. Too chewy and *shudders*

So I'm terrified of it!
#892 Old 11-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Katt, you can come spend next TG with us. We'll spend the day cooking up vegan awesomeness in the kitchen and sit down to a turkey free dinner.

I'd be down for that. Whenever my dad gets home from whatever he's doing today I'm making him order me a celebration roast or tofurky for Christmas dinner, if I can find a place online that has them in stock right now. I'll probably be at awesome aunt's house anyway, so she will understand.

It just all annoys me because I know he thought it was me trying to get out of seeing the family because I didn't want to go. I just wanted to do something special this year instead of having...that happen.

Ah screw it. I'm gonna go make sweet potato pie. There's storebought pumpkin pie in the fridge, but the crust always tastes gross so I'll go make something from scratch.

#893 Old 11-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post

Hahah I'm a journalist that enjoys story telling I guess.

It really can be condensed down into I cried at thanksgiving because I was incredibly angry and upset at my family for not listening to me and forcing me to go to a restaurant that I knew wouldn't have anything to eat even though I offered to cook because it makes me happy.

27 days 'till I'm legal!

yay for legal!
#894 Old 11-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

This hospital's hold music about fish makes me a little sick. But *shrugs* ehhhh what canya do?
#895 Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

If I had died today shopping, would any of you have noticed or have come to my funeral? Intense, man, intense. Discount shoppers are CRAZY. My friend Sarah was talking about throwing elbows.
#896 Old 11-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I look better now!

Platinum blond short hair!

Vegan boy wont know what hit him!

HeeeeHeeeee!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#897 Old 11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't like the textures of the kinds I've had. But then again I've made my own. I've followed the directions to the word...and they turned out horrible. Too chewy and *shudders*

So I'm terrified of it!

Yeah it can be a little bit chewy

How did you cook it though? I've made the boiled kind and it's very blah. The steamed kind (recipe I posted) is much better (although I can't say the texture would be to your liking.. but who knows?)
#898 Old 11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Boring day at work.

Oh well!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#899 Old 11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post

**** the holidays. This is the story of why I will never let my father make holiday plans without me having some say in what goes down. It's rather long.

I guess my thanksgiving could be described as something that would only be seen in some sort of horrible family comedy movie or something out of a horrible Chevy Chase "Holiday" movie.

There was that unwritten rule that has been made since I went vegetarian a long ass time ago that I do. not. go out to eat at restaurant that is serving thanksgiving dinner. The first year year my dad and I went to IHOP because we didn't make plans and that was fine. I was clueless anyway and didn't know how to cook so it was all good. I had a grilled cheese and it was delicious. I never really cared for turkey anyway, so it worked out.

I always spend the Wednesday before cooking up a stupid amount of food where 75% of the dishes are vegan, the other 25% vegetarian. It works out because it keeps me busy and makes sure that others that might have milk allergies are provided something. I love being in the kitchen and it makes me feel good and about the only time during the day that I'm going to be smiling and happy to be around. I also make myself a main dish so I have something to point at when I have idiot close minded relatives who can't grasp the idea that yes, I do get protein.

Not this year.

No, against my warnings that there will be NOTHING for me to eat at any stupid restaurant that is serving Thanksgiving dinner, my idiot father decides to drag me out to the Kansas-Oklahoma border to visit family, who I've NEVER seen eat at home. No opportunity for me to make some delicious food to take along because there's no way for me to reheat it or even keep it within food-safe temperatures on the three hour car ride.

I got mildly carsick on the way there (I can't sit in the backseat for a long time, it makes me sick to my stomach) and I'm dizzy as hell already. I stopped at a gas station and picked up some vitaminwater to see if that would help, but it didn't do much. I tried sleeping but I felt like I was going to get ill any second and closing my eyes didn't help. I managed to keep breakfast in my stomach where it belonged.

We're waiting around for my grandfather and his wife (they've been married for 20ish years and I've met her twice.. once when I was three years old and then last week, I don't know what to call her since he re-married after my grandmother passed 25 years ago) for a while. They show up, and she parks in the space adjacent to the van-accessible handicapped parking areas. The area with the yellow lines across it that mean DO NOT PARK HERE.

And we wait some more for a table. We finally get told one opened up, but we have to WAIT for a few minutes while one person finishes eating. This of course doesn't make his wife happy so she wobbles over to the table and *****es at this lady to GET AWAY FROM HER TABLE!!!11one

I'm mortified. I sit as far as possible away from this woman and try to avoid eye contact with her.

So I'm looking at other people's plates and seeing that it's all covered in meat and gravy. I try to figure out a way for me to ask the waitress if I can just have a plate of green beans, plain potatoes and a roll, but before that happens I'm suddenly looking at a huge plate of food that is coated in a layer of gravy. The green beans appeared vegetarian, but were right next to the turkey and half were covered in gravy. The same with the mashed potatoes, roll, yams and even the ****ing cranberry sauce.

What happens next can only be considered severe overload of the brain. While I'm normally more than willing to just stand up for myself and say "WHAT THE CRAP I'M A VEGETARIAN OKAY?!?!!?" but since I'm with my overly conservative grandparents I'm trying to figure out if there's any way I can just discreetly get rid of this food and get something different. I really try to be polite around them and I always feel bad making myself stand out by doing something like that since I already stick out on my own. So my options are to give someone else my food (that got me a death glare from my father when I tried handing it to him even though he hadn't been served yet), find a waitress and let them deal with it, pick around the food (which I HATE doing because it sends the wrong signal to people when they will then tell me I can do things like pick the meatballs out of marinara sauce or take the meat off sandwiches besides the fact that it's ****ing gross to put something in your mouth when you think it's safe and instead there's a hunk of turkey) or just sit there. My head is spinning because I'm not sure what I'm going to do, and I'm getting more upset and angry by the second because I'm not sure what the hell is going on. My heart starts racing and oh crap I think I'm getting a panic attack because I don't know what to dooooooooooooooo.

AAaaaand that's when I realize I'm starting to get teary eyed because when all else fails, the brain decides it's time to make my predicament even more mortifying by making me cry. I try fighting it off but it's useless. I run to the bathroom and lock myself in a stall because I'm so pissed and upset and embarrassed. I try to regain my composure but it's not happening. I knew if I went out in my state of mind I would end up embarrassing myself even more and yelling at my father because in my mind, it would have been completely justified on my part to tell him how he ruined my day.

I stayed in there for an hour. Apparently during my hiding, idiot wife asks why I acted like that because apparently she was oblivious to the fact I was a vegetarian. "Can't she eat the stuffing? Can't she eat the mashed potatoes? Can't she eat the green beans? Can't she eat _____?" A: The stuffing is coated in giblet gravy and probably wasn't even vegetarian in the first place, the mashed potatoes are also covered in gravy, the green beans are likely cooked with bacon and OH YEAH COVERED IN GRAVY! etc;.

I guess my grandpa understood because he's Celiac and can't eat gluten (Woo, we make a perfect match.. former dairy farmer/celiac plus a vegetarian who loves seitan) and thus has problems most places as well.

So yeah, I ruined Thanksgiving. I don't really give a damn right now because if there would have been a little bit of listening to me when I reminded my idiot father that yeah, that's not going to work out. I still haven't had the opportunity to tell my idiot father WHY this was so ****ing horrible. I really like having a day where I can make a ton of food and pig out on food that's good tasting rather than

Luckily, awesome aunt of mine saved the day by having a quasi-thanksgiving at her house and since my cousin was a vegetarian for a few years she knew to keep stuff separate. I managed to finally eat something there and avoided the usual "OMG I'M CLOSE MINDED AND CAN'T GRASP THE CONCEPT OF PEOPLE NOT EATING MEAT BECAUSE THEY'LL DIE WITHOUT PROTEIN" conversation because it's happened before already. But it wasn't the same as me feeling like a kitchen goddess and it was nowhere close to a real thanksgiving feast.

TLDR: I had a mild panic attack and started crying at lunch because I was served a crap ton of meat, then hid in the bathroom for the rest of the lunch to avoid family. Luckily my cool aunt saved the day by having thanksgiving at her place which I finally got to eat food.

Wow that sounds horrible. Thank goodness for your aunt.
#900 Old 11-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

The Seitan recipes in La Dolce Vegan always turn out perfect.

Every other recipe I've tried (including Vegan with a Vengeance's) turn out horribly textured.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page