The Stupid Little Gripes/Pet Peeves/Things that piss you off/General Rant Superthread - Page 32 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#931 Old 10-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Current pet peeve: Newbies on VB who ask where they can find certain things, but give us no clue whatsoever where they live. How can we recommend stuff if we don't know where you live? What good does it do that newbie if we launch into a long list of what you can get at Whole Foods, only to find out much later that this person has no access to any Whole Foods?

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#932 Old 10-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Not just crappy spelling, but crappy grammar too:

From The Incredibles:

Mirage to Mr. Incredible: "According to the government, neither of us exist."

EXISTS! EXISTS! Learn a little grammar, you stupid cartoon!

An ex of mine used to crack up cuz i'd go off on that damn Shania Twain song where she'd say "We mighta took the long way." NO. Taken. TAKEN.
#933 Old 10-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Women who say "Hell no! I'm not a feminist!", as if it was an insult to be one.

I really feel this, so many women act like the word feminist is a four letter word, and refer to it as if it's a bad thing. Women have come a long way, but still have far to go, we still make 75 cents to the dollar that every male makes, oh I could go on. I don't see what's bad about standing up for yourself though when all you want is equality, sadly I think many women don't even know what the word means anymore.

A big pet peeve of mine is when people ask me why I'm veggie, or the issue comes up on a message board and people get exceedingly defensive and rude about it just at the mere mention of it, and act like if "all" vegetarians weren't so preachy and if PETA didn't exist only then will they ever actually listen to your views on the subject. I really have never firsthand seen anyone get angry or pissy listening to a meat eater talk about their lifestyle, but damn people can be so anti-veg and somehow justify it because they have the right to eat meat, I don't get it, nor do I like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#934 Old 10-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

pet peeve:

when a thread calls whats in your clipboard the "stuff thats in your 'ctrl v'"

#935 Old 10-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodveg View Post

I don't see what's bad about standing up for yourself though when all you want is equality

right on!

thats why when I worked at walmart and a girl in my department asked me to carry a box, or lift something heavy for her, i just said "what about equal rights?" or rather, implied it.

eta: I suppose I should clarify: I worked in ICS (freight, merchandising, stock, and storewide assistance). This was a highly manual labor job - but payed more($8start) then any other entry level hourly position outside of unloading($10start). The floor associates ($7start) and cashiers ($7.50start) were payed less. There were a few girls that transfered over from cosmetics, but didn't do the same work; they sat around half the time. Which is a big petpeeve of mine - people getting payed to do nothing - or rather, working with, and getting payed the same, as people who stand around while I work my arse off. They could have been guys or girls, but the equal rights statement just fit at the time.

anyhow,
#936 Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

pet peeve: People who bump old threads.

#937 Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

People who use "them" wrong, like "That them things over there..."

People who don't put the "en" on words, like "It's froze." It is FROZEN!

People who use "don't" wrong. Don't just don't work in this sentence!

Oh, and saying something like, "Him and Carol went to the park." You would not say "Him went to the park."...

Saying "like" too much.

Teenage drama.

I have many pet peeves.
#938 Old 01-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

people who think "flair" is spelled "flare". I see this all over the internet. They're supposed to be talking about style, not firecrackers.

#939 Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I MUST have posted this before, but it bears repeating: Being stuck in an elevator with somebody with seriously offensive BO. Or seriously offensive garlic breath, I can't decide which. Or both, even.

#940 Old 03-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Veggie Regular

When I let someone in front of me on the road way and they don't give me "the wave"!!
#941 Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I MUST have posted this before, but it bears repeating: Being stuck in an elevator with somebody with seriously offensive BO. Or seriously offensive garlic breath, I can't decide which. Or both, even.

Eeeew. Both?! *cringes*
#942 Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular

My pet peeve is when motorists aren't curtius to cyclists. Either by honking or not passing at a safe distance.
#943 Old 04-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Banned

This thread is pretty annoying, especially the gripes about "bad" drivers who are actually doing the correct thing, like positioning.

People on messageboards that sign their names at the end of every post (not in the sig). Why, just why?

People with pushchairs who park them across the aisles of shops or use them as battering rams.*

People with pushchairs on the bus even when there's no room.

People who let their kids run around in restaurants. I love kids but I came to eat and enjoy a conversation with my friends, it's very off-putting having your children run around my table.

Bad parents.

Irresponsible pet owners.

Transport For London.

I'll stop now, but I could go on for a few hours easily.

*ETA: A pushchair = stroller, not wheelchair!
#944 Old 04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Baby Love

I hate it when people write about wanting to "loose" weight. It's L-O-S-E !!! Your pants get loose when you lose weight. I'm not sure why, but that is probably the thing that bothers me most when I'm reading online. You'd think something of more importance would attract my attention (like perhaps making sure my own posts are perfect), but no my brain gets stuck on all those loose people.
#945 Old 04-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

I hate it when people write about wanting to "loose" weight. It's L-O-S-E !!! Your pants get loose when you lose weight. I'm not sure why, but that is probably the thing that bothers me most when I'm reading online. You'd think something of more importance would attract my attention (like perhaps making sure my own posts are perfect), but no my brain gets stuck on all those loose people.

Hehe, that's like when people say "breath" when they mean "breathe".
#946 Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Hehe I was transcribing a particular radiology dictation today, and I checked the exam notes for the diagnosis. The technologist had entered, "patient unable to lye flat".

#947 Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorzelGummidge View Post

*ETA: A pushchair = stroller, not wheelchair!

Oh, thank goodness... I was beginning to wonder how a person could get so mad about someone in a wheelchair!!

Listening to my boss SCREAM at contractors. First of all, it's bad energy and I don't enjoy being around it, second of all I feel bad for the contractors because my boss just doesn't know how to handle stress so he takes it out on them and thirdly, I worry about my boss constantly because he gets pissed off about the STUPIDEST things and spends SO much of his life being angry that I'm afraid he's going to miss out on all the wonderous, happy , enjoyable things going on around him or he's going to have a freaking heart attack and die!! He's such a good dude, he just needs to relax a little and ENJOY his life!!
#948 Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Not sure if I posted this before, but here's one of my favourite pet peeves:

When someone means über, but spells uber.

Not having access to a German alphabet keyboard is no valid excuse.

NOTE: ü can only be transcribed ue (transcribing Umlaute should be avoided when possible).

Equally ä and ö.

BTW ß -> ss not B, please)

Thank you.
#949 Old 04-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Oh, thank goodness... I was beginning to wonder how a person could get so mad about someone in a wheelchair!!

I read pushchair for the first time only recently on VB I think and was pretty confused too from the context.

I only knew stroller, carriage, and buggy.

The latter being the most common term here, although this type would be called Kinderwagen.
#950 Old 04-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

- people who blame other people for things that are their OWN fault

- people who speak very loudly. so that when I try to converse with someone at the busstop, I cannot even hear anything coming out of my mouth this person is so obnoxiously loud, so I need to shout and I still can hardly hear myself

- when people walk slowly in the MIDDLE of the sidewalk (or aisle of a store) so I can't even get past them

- when a group of friends walks all beside each other on a sidewalk and none of them are polite enough to make way for OTHER people walking the opposite direction, and the only way to get past them is if I walk onto the road. Actually no I don't do that anymore, I'll usually stop walking and just stand there so they are forced to either walk into me or walk around me. Still irritating.

-

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#951 Old 04-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

- people who blame other people for things that are their OWN fault

- people who speak very loudly. so that when I try to converse with someone at the busstop, I cannot even hear anything coming out of my mouth this person is so obnoxiously loud, so I need to shout and I still can hardly hear myself

- when people walk slowly in the MIDDLE of the sidewalk (or aisle of a store) so I can't even get past them

- when a group of friends walks all beside each other on a sidewalk and none of them are polite enough to make way for OTHER people walking the opposite direction, and the only way to get past them is if I walk onto the road. Actually no I don't do that anymore, I'll usually stop walking and just stand there so they are forced to either walk into me or walk around me. Still irritating.

-

or how about people who insist on completely blocking a doorway in order to stand and chat with each other? Um, idiots, doorways are for egress and ingress, not for socializing.

I've complained about that before, I'm sure.

#952 Old 04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

My pet peeve is when motorists aren't curtius to cyclists. Either by honking or not passing at a safe distance.

When cyclists can't decide whether they want to be vehicles or pedestrians. They're supposed to follow the same rules as vehicles, but most seem to make up the rules as they go along.

When people call chimpanzees monkeys. They're apes!

When teachers don't follow their own rules.
#953 Old 04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obladiblada View Post

When cyclists can't decide whether they want to be vehicles or pedestrians. They're supposed to follow the same rules as vehicles, but most seem to make up the rules as they go along.

I never act as a pedestrian when I'm cycling. I wait at reds, stop at stop signs, and use the road lane like a motorist would. Doesn't stop the honking though.
#954 Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

I never act as a pedestrian when I'm cycling.

I never said you did.
#955 Old 04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obladiblada View Post

I never said you did.

I know . Your comment is often the first thing people say to me when the subject of cycling comes up. I like to point out if thats all motorists were upset about just that I wouldn't get honked at. Not saying you would honk at a cyclist, just talking of those that do.
#956 Old 05-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

My pet peeve is loud music in cars, people telling me to eat meat, and impatient people.

Oh and those blasted "chirp" phones!!!

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#957 Old 05-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh man... I don't know if I've said this before (probably have) but I can NOT stand when PEOPLE TYPE IN ALL CAPS JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT. IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE YOU'RE YELLING AT ME. SO IF YOU'RE NOT ANGRY... STOP IT!!!!!

Also... when people call and need info about a separate company that we wouldn't have, we tell them to contact the company directly. If you need the phone number ASK for it. Instead, people ask "How can I do that?" or "How can I contact them?" So so SO many times I've wanted to say "Well... you can drive there or you can call."

It's been a long day at work. Haha.
#958 Old 05-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

People at work who can't (or won't) discuss something when I'm available, so they say they'll call me - and they don't. How hard is it to pick up a telephone receiver, punch three lousy buttons for my extension, and spend two lousy freakin' minutes discussing something?

People I call who interrupt me IN THE MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE to put me on hold. I'm waiting for the opportunity to do it to them and see how they like it.

People who realize the minute I answer a phone call that they've called the wrong number, and just hang up without saying something. I realize you may be embarrassed, but I'm a nice person, I really am, and I'm not going to tear your head off for calling me by mistake.

#959 Old 05-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

People who realize the minute I answer a phone call that they've called the wrong number, and just hang up without saying something. I realize you may be embarrassed, but I'm a nice person, I really am, and I'm not going to tear your head off for calling me by mistake.

When I first started working here I was thinking "What did I say? Do I sound that horrible?!" and then realized that it was probably just someone with the wrong number. Haha. Freaking losers. Does it really hurt to say "Whoops, sorry! Wrong number!"

On top of that, people will call and it will go like this:

Me: ">name of company I work for<, >me< speaking, how may I help you?"

Caller: "Is this >name of OTHER company<?"

M: "No, this is >company< customer service."

C: "Are you sure? This is the phone number they have on their website!"

M: "Yes, for customer service for >company<, not for >company their looking for<."

(Dude! Read the SENTENCE SURROUNDING THE PHONE NUMBER you're calling! It states VERY CLEARLY who you're calling!)

C: "Oh, well... do you know how I can >something only THAT company would do/know<

M: "No, we don't have that information. They are a separate company."

C: "Oh, well, how could I find out that information?"

(...which continues to my last ^ rant/post...) To this, I want to say "Possibly if you contact the company directly." Hehe.
#960 Old 05-11-2008, 04:41 AM
Veggie Regular

...words that end in 'izzle.' Sizzle=still okay... For shizzle iz chizzle up in my bizzle... <---Why do people still say that???

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page