What is your favourite animal? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

#1 Old 08-25-2014, 10:44 AM

What is your favourite animal?

(posting this here as I didn't think 'Companion Animals' was really suitable, as I don't mean 'pets', I mean favourites from any in the animal kingdom! But please feel free to move to a more suitable are if required).

Hello all,

As vegetarians and vegans, of course we are animal lovers! So, I thought why not share our favourite animals? And why we like them so much. I imagine lots of you will have more than one. I think I have a few:

Sheep
When sheep are very young (lambs) I think they are so adorable and I love nothing more than seeing a field of spring lambs. Of course, I also share this fondness for them when they grow into sheep (even though they may have lost their youthful good looks )
Seahorses
Seahorses amaze me. I love their various colours and their uniqueness (the males carry the baby, their unusual bodies etc). I think it is so sad they, and many other animals, are used in Chinese medicine.
Rabbits
I do not have rabbits as pets, but I have many wild ones that run in my garden. Recently one mother must have had kittens, as many kits are hopping around. Unfortunately, a lot of them have contracted myxy, which causes skin tumours. Still, they remain a favourite of mine for their resilience, and it always makes me smile when I see them in my garden.

Very interested to hear all your favourites!

Thought I would post a few pictures of my favourites

mangolover likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2014, 11:00 AM

I love cows! <3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all-about-cows-1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	4114  
#3 Old 08-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Cats of course! :-) Says Rocket, as Empress sleeps right next to her in furry glory...

But I do enjoy watching animals of many types. I remember years ago at an aquarium in Maui seeing a little octopus in a tank. I had never seen an octopus, and the way it curlicued its way over the glass was beautiful and riveting. It was as if I were watching some elaborate calligraphy poem come to life.
mangolover likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2014, 03:27 PM

I really like sloths, chinchillas, wolves, pigs, hedgehogs..the list will go on and on .
mangolover likes this.
#5 Old 08-25-2014, 11:38 PM

After my pets, I'd have to say sea turtles, but I love the ocean and all reef animals. After that, tigers.

Last edited by seedgirl; 08-25-2014 at 11:40 PM.
#6 Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Penguins, giraffes, cows, pigs, elephants...
LedBoots likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#7 Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 AM

Lovely to hear your responses!

Upon asking my father what his favourite animal was, he said whale. The ocean is home to do many wondrous animals. My rents both agreed that koala bears were the cutest animals. For two omnivores, they share some of my principles. They are both 100% against hunting, be it fox hunting, whale hunting or poaching etc. I'm pretty sure they are both against animal testing also. Just a shame they can't consider all animals the same, and exclude cows, pigs, chickens and sheep from their fondness for animals.

I also really like gazelles.
#8 Old 08-26-2014, 04:18 AM
Impeach the gangster

I like giraffes. Tall,stately and elegant. Herbivorous. A giraffe can fend off- even kill- an attacking lion with its kick. And they have such a good view of the parade!
Tom and LedBoots like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#9 Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular

So many animals, no way to name them all.

But I do really like Birds. From finches to parrots and anything in between.

Dolphins too.
#10 Old 09-03-2014, 04:58 AM

Black Panther..

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Ghandi.

Unique photographic greeting cards and prints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 09-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Vulture (old world/African), whale (blue or humpback), hyena, elephant, rabbit, raccoon, capybara, pig/boar, rat, crow, hagfish, octopus, snail, nautilus.
Rivfader likes this.
#12 Old 09-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd have to say my ultimate favorite animal would be any kind of bird. They are so fun to watch, full of antics and curiosity and they have such beautiful songs. And the diversity of them! Just wow! I think the common loon has one of the most beautiful calls I have ever heard. And I am always amazed at how tiny little warblers can travel thousands of miles and even over oceans to migrate several times a year. And Canada geese, how they fly in formation.
Rivfader likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 09-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Dogs, because they're just plain cool.
Also, horses, because they're unbelievably strong.
#14 Old 09-03-2014, 06:13 PM

I love birds. My absolute favorites have always been crows and ravens; they're smart, mischievous, curious, playful, and have a unique, rather harsh, beauty. I'm also quite fond of titmice, tits, and chickadees because they're positively adorable.

Common raven

(c) laniisoma, Santa Cruz, California, January 2009

Blue tit

(c) Pierre Dalous, Tarn, France, January 2012
Move of Ten and Kiwibird08 like this.
#15 Old 09-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Oryzatarian

Chocobos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chocobo.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	4385  
Move of Ten likes this.
#16 Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

If anyone hasn't already seen the BBC's (David Attenborough) "Life of Birds" series, I highly recommend it. Life of Mammals is very good too.
Rivfader likes this.
#17 Old 09-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I like giraffes. Tall,stately and elegant. Herbivorous. A giraffe can fend off- even kill- an attacking lion with its kick. And they have such a good view of the parade!
My fave too! I am not normally a collector of things, but friends give me giraffe stuff all the time.

And butterflies, for their transformation, beauty, and pollenation assistance.
Tom likes this.
#18 Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Birds! More specifically pigeons! ♥
A lot of folk call me "Taube," which is just the German word for "pigeon."

They have always been so special to me and I can't really explain why, whenever I see one I just turn to mush. Like, my worst nightmare is when you see them on the streets with missing toes or a stump. People think I'm crazy for saying this but I'd give up my feet if all the pigeons on the Earth could keep theirs, honest. When I was about 13 I started rescuing and raising pigeon chicks, hell I secretly brought two to my mum's wedding, they are just so gentle and innocent and ahhhh!! ^///^
I just love everything about them.

(*)>
/ )
/"
spacegirl likes this.

We are all 269
Animal, Earth and Human Liberation!
#19 Old 10-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBird View Post

Birds! More specifically pigeons! ♥
A lot of folk call me "Taube," which is just the German word for "pigeon."

They have always been so special to me and I can't really explain why, whenever I see one I just turn to mush. Like, my worst nightmare is when you see them on the streets with missing toes or a stump. People think I'm crazy for saying this but I'd give up my feet if all the pigeons on the Earth could keep theirs, honest. When I was about 13 I started rescuing and raising pigeon chicks, hell I secretly brought two to my mum's wedding, they are just so gentle and innocent and ahhhh!! ^///^
I just love everything about them.

(*)>
/ )
/"
I like pigeons too. Maybe it's your spirit animal.
http://www.spiritualliving360.com/in...s-pigeon-3814/

" Perhaps the most important lesson that pigeon can teach, especially in today’s world, is that of appearances. After all the pigeon isn’t exactly as mythical as a crow, or as majestic as an eagle or falcon. Maybe this is true but it is numerous, adaptable, teachable and more importantly outwardly ordinary. Take some time to watch a pigeon in flight though and it soon becomes apparent that they are as majestic as a falcon. So the final lesson that pigeon can teach us is that while we may not look or act like a movie star, in our own element we can shine as brightly as any star."
Tom likes this.
#20 Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 PM
No flesh since 99'

I have always loved parrots! They are so beautiful, intelligent and capable of really complex emotions and bonds. I would love to observe them in nature, and how their natural flock structure works. I curse humans for ever being so selfish as to remove these beautiful creatures from the wild and making them reliant on us. Everyone is aware of the issues with dog and cat shelters, but virtually no one knows or cares about the crisis with avian shelters. They are overflowing with birds that nobody wants. My boy had been shoved in a cat carrier for years as "punishment" for behaving like a PARROT before we rescued him. Tragically, his kind of case is not uncommon. My favorite animals have been greatly wronged by people. "Of Parrots and People" by Mira Tweti will break anyones heart who has a soul.

“People have forgotten this truth," the fox said. "But you mustn’t forget it. You become responsible forever for what you’ve tamed. You’re responsible for your rose.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Also have to mention, I am also fascinated by corvids, BOP and gulls. All so intelligent and social (and watching a bunch of gulls bust into a dumpster and fling trash around is pretty amazing to see, as it does require intelligence, strategy and team effort, though annoying for the store owner)

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 10-08-2014 at 05:45 PM.
#21 Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I've always had an obsession with manatees. They are such beautiful creatures! I saw two in captivity once, and it just broke my heart. They were in a tiny tank - I mean, by manatee terms.

Going a little less exotic, I adore rats! People have the worst perceptions of them, and I am always trying to help people see what amazing creatures they really are! They are so intelligent and social and emotional. And cute, too!
Tom likes this.
#22 Old 10-09-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I like pigeons too. Maybe it's your spirit animal.
http://www.spiritualliving360.com/in...s-pigeon-3814/

" Perhaps the most important lesson that pigeon can teach, especially in today’s world, is that of appearances. After all the pigeon isn’t exactly as mythical as a crow, or as majestic as an eagle or falcon. Maybe this is true but it is numerous, adaptable, teachable and more importantly outwardly ordinary. Take some time to watch a pigeon in flight though and it soon becomes apparent that they are as majestic as a falcon. So the final lesson that pigeon can teach us is that while we may not look or act like a movie star, in our own element we can shine as brightly as any star."
Pigeons are wonderful, aren't they. ^.^
Yes she is, I only know of two of my other spirit animals who are the wolf and the raven. Do you know any of yours?

We are all 269
#23 Old 10-09-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
I have always loved parrots! They are so beautiful, intelligent and capable of really complex emotions and bonds. I would love to observe them in nature, and how their natural flock structure works. I curse humans for ever being so selfish as to remove these beautiful creatures from the wild and making them reliant on us. Everyone is aware of the issues with dog and cat shelters, but virtually no one knows or cares about the crisis with avian shelters. They are overflowing with birds that nobody wants. My boy had been shoved in a cat carrier for years as "punishment" for behaving like a PARROT before we rescued him. Tragically, his kind of case is not uncommon. My favorite animals have been greatly wronged by people. "Of Parrots and People" by Mira Tweti will break anyones heart who has a soul.

“People have forgotten this truth," the fox said. "But you mustn’t forget it. You become responsible forever for what you’ve tamed. You’re responsible for your rose.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Also have to mention, I am also fascinated by corvids, BOP and gulls. All so intelligent and social (and watching a bunch of gulls bust into a dumpster and fling trash around is pretty amazing to see, as it does require intelligence, strategy and team effort, though annoying for the store owner)
He is very beautiful, glad he found you and is happy now ^.^

We are all 269
#24 Old 10-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Pigeons are wonderful, aren't they. ^.^
Yes she is, I only know of two of my other spirit animals who are the wolf and the raven. Do you know any of yours?
Yes, I think the hawk and the crow. And other animals that come into my life for a short time. A few years ago, it was the armadillo, which I used to be frightened of.
#25 Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, I think the hawk and the crow. And other animals that come into my life for a short time. A few years ago, it was the armadillo, which I used to be frightened of.
Sometimes it is the animals we are most frightened of that we can learn the most from ^.^ Hawk and crow are both great animals. I think the raven might be temporary since he was quite sudden; even had a physical raven come to my house after I asked him if I was correct in identifying him, followed by a flock of 50+ jackdaw the next day. But maybe I just never really noticed before, we'll see, some say raven will stay aslong as they are needed or wanted.
LedBoots likes this.

We are all 269
#26 Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Sometimes it is the animals we are most frightened of that we can learn the most from ^.^ Hawk and crow are both great animals. I think the raven might be temporary since he was quite sudden; even had a physical raven come to my house after I asked him if I was correct in identifying him, followed by a flock of 50+ jackdaw the next day. But maybe I just never really noticed before, we'll see, some say raven will stay aslong as they are needed or wanted.
A red -tailed hawk flies with his loud cries in the predawn time as I'm taking a walk before work. He's landed on a post very close to me in the backyard several times, so I'm sure of the identification.

You're right about the armadillo, I had to face some fears. The creatures aren't uncommon here, but this one a few years back was so big, and would run around seemingly out of nowhere in a very startling manner. I still have lots of fears, but I was able to let go of some stuff.
#27 Old 10-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
A red -tailed hawk flies with his loud cries in the predawn time as I'm taking a walk before work. He's landed on a post very close to me in the backyard several times, so I'm sure of the identification.

You're right about the armadillo, I had to face some fears. The creatures aren't uncommon here, but this one a few years back was so big, and would run around seemingly out of nowhere in a very startling manner. I still have lots of fears, but I was able to let go of some stuff.
That's amazing he will most likely be with you forever. Does he share a lot of traits with you? It's funny how our spirit animals always seem to find a way into our lives, we hunted the wolf to near extinction in Scotland but yet ten year old me met one in the woods; of course not realising how crazy I sounded to everyone at the time.

It's great that you were able to identify your fears and face them, well done. ^.^ We don't have armadillo here at all unfortunately. We do have raven though but not in our town, there's no where for them to live. He just came out of no where and was sitting on the neighbours chimney, then when he caught my attention he swooped down infront of me, then up and onto my house. I'm going through some really big changes right now so I think he's trying to help me let go of and accept the past and move forward, I'm trying.
LedBoots likes this.

We are all 269
#28 Old 11-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Oboy.... where to start...?

If I had to pick just one, it would probably be the manatee: vegetarian (except rare instances when they've been seen eating fish caught in nets); quite socially laid-back: they get along well with each other; aren't concerned with a territory or who's the "alpha manatee". But there are a lot of runners-up...

For extinct animals: Steller's Sea Cow; the Carolina Parakeet; duckbilled dinosaurs.

Wild animals: Elk (known as Red Deer in Europe- they're so majestic-looking); caribou (same reason); geese (I love to see and hear them as they migrate through my area in spring and fall); cardinals; juncos; giraffe; squirrels/chipmunks; musk ox; parrots (I know they're kept as pets but I've never had one and don't plan to- I don't think I could give them the proper care); african buffalo; kudu; eland...

Domestic animals: cow; cat; dog; rabbit (some cats and dogs have crappy attitudes but I've gotten along well with a lot of them)

Insects: grasshoppers; monarch butterflies; planthoppers/leafhoppers/treehoppers (these are not closely related to grasshoppers- they're closer to aphids); cicadas; sweat bees

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#29 Old 11-01-2014, 11:08 AM
V for Vegan

LedBoots likes this.

--
#30 Old 11-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce V View Post
But where does he get his protein?
Tom, Capstan and Bruce V like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page