The Stupid Little Gripes/Pet Peeves/Things That Piss You Off/General Rant Superthread v.2.0 - Page 32 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 879Likes

#931 Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

I'm annoyed at how 90% of vegan recipes seem to be gluten free as well now, I have nothing against gluten free people I just don't want to do it myself and having to buy fancy gluten free flour mixes from Whole Foods is an expensive hassle. I always see delicious looking recipes for vegan cakes and muffins on Pinterest but then they're gluten free and I don't want to bother figuring it out so I just stare at the picture...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#932 Old 11-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
I'm annoyed at how 90% of vegan recipes seem to be gluten free as well now, I have nothing against gluten free people I just don't want to do it myself and having to buy fancy gluten free flour mixes from Whole Foods is an expensive hassle. I always see delicious looking recipes for vegan cakes and muffins on Pinterest but then they're gluten free and I don't want to bother figuring it out so I just stare at the picture...
I see that a lot with commercial products as well - I'm like "oo, dairy and egg free yay!... oh, gluten free - boo" LOL. I am happy more people have more options but I think it's confusing to non-vegans, because they think we are all gluten free as well, and I'm totally OK with gluten; I like the texture and I like that it gives me protein ^_^

Miyoko Schinner has some excellent recipes. She's best known for her vegan artisan cheese of course, but I have her book Homemade Vegan Pantry and it's dogeared from all the awesome use I've gotten out of it. In fact I'm making my husband a birthday cake from her book RIGHT NOW as we speak! LOL - I made one for my parents earlier this year and it was amazing! She has a couple dessert recipes on her site:

http://www.artisanveganlife.com/desserts-baked-goods/

Of course you're probably well aware of Isa Chandra - I'm pretty sure most of her recipes use regular flours (i have a few of her books and haven't seen any preference for gluten free)

http://bit.ly/2fkS1ei

Happy baking!
#933 Old 11-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
I get my gluten free mixes from my local Safeway and Fred Meyer (READ: Local grocery stores that have coupons and sales). Or just try them with regular flour, instead.
Capstan likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#934 Old 11-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
This drives me nuts too! The biggest one is pancakes. It's harder to find a vegan buckwheat pancake recipe that is not gluten free than one that is.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#935 Old 11-05-2016, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

This is not really a small thing, but my Mom had to put her dog down yesterday. I'm feeling really sad. Edward was such a great dog. He was a mix of lab and Great Dane and my Mom, who is a Benedictine nun living in a community house, was allowed to acquire him from an animal shelter. He was protective of those nuns lol. Very kind and patient and he loved being petted and doted on by a lot of women. He was 11 years old and finally his back legs gave out on him completely. He had been suffering with hip problems for a long time and was in a lot of pain. I don't know all the circumstances of what happened recently. I just know that I will miss him always! He was family. This world is hard enough to live in but it always seems to get a little bit harder when someone you love passes away. :/
Purp and Dustie like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#936 Old 11-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
This is not really a small thing, but my Mom had to put her dog down yesterday. I'm feeling really sad. Edward was such a great dog. He was a mix of lab and Great Dane and my Mom, who is a Benedictine nun living in a community house, was allowed to acquire him from an animal shelter. He was protective of those nuns lol. Very kind and patient and he loved being petted and doted on by a lot of women. He was 11 years old and finally his back legs gave out on him completely. He had been suffering with hip problems for a long time and was in a lot of pain. I don't know all the circumstances of what happened recently. I just know that I will miss him always! He was family. This world is hard enough to live in but it always seems to get a little bit harder when someone you love passes away. :/

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#937 Old 11-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

This election seems to have lasted for at least a century...I want it to be over...

#938 Old 11-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan groups on Facebook are full of preachy vegans and health police.
Purp, cherries and Sidhuriel like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#939 Old 11-07-2016, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Some of them are downright awful!
Purp likes this.

#940 Old 11-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Some of them are downright awful!
Quote:
Veggieboards on facebook is quite cool, just like veggieboards.com.

#941 Old 11-08-2016, 03:04 PM

Detractors of vegetarianism said in my class 6 days ago that vegans were stupid. I didn't even bother with them. Just started to have violent tics.
Purp likes this.
#942 Old 11-12-2016, 08:33 AM
Peace

Quote:
As a vegetarian transitioning to veganism I can't even join most vegan Dutch groups because I don't care about animals enough according to most admins..

Even if I make clear that for transitioning, knowing more about veganism would be helpful.
Purp and David3 like this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#943 Old 11-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

o/~It's the election that never ends...it goes on and on my friends...o/~

#944 Old 11-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
I feel like complaining at work because the two people that sit in the cubicles next to me keep going on and on about politics and how great Trump is etc and I can not concentrate on my work. I think it is just plain wrong regardless of sides to discuss politics while on the job. It really needs to stop, but I am afraid of the backlash if I say something or go to the supervisor. :/ More and more I just want to work from home and not have to deal with people. In two weeks I will move into my permanent new cubicle at work...which will be half the size of my old one. 60 new people are being moved into our building so the entire building is being restructured to make everyone's work space 1/2 of what it currently is to accommodate. Yeah...
Purp likes this.

#945 Old 11-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
So true.
Purp likes this.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
#946 Old 11-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

My grandmother (whom I love) has ridden my back for over 20yrs. Three weeks ago she crossed a line by bring up my weight, I have struggled with my weight all my life so it is a really sensitive subject. She started in and I told her to stop it, that I knew I need to lose weight. Finally I said can I do anything right you've been on me for over 20yrs and it needs to stop now. She told me I was being rude and disrespectful. The really irritating thing is she was in my kitchen, when she started calling me fat. She doesn't think she's done anything wrong.

—Henry David Thoreau
My site

Last edited by cherries; 11-12-2016 at 07:21 PM.
#947 Old 11-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

Being asked to "tone it down" and censor myself for the comfort of others when I refer to meat as flesh, eggs/dairy as bodily excretions, and slaughtering/hunting as murder when discussing food in certain arenas. We can't have folks calling it what it really is, now can we? Grrrrrrrrr..........

I very much understand the importance of slow and healthy transition and the need for educating compassionately and kindly, which I feel using terms that describes it all for what it really is can only help in painting a clear and vivid picture. Otherwise, it's just more sugar coating and tap dancing around the real deal, which only seems to prolong the all too long and widely accepted ignorance.

If only I could do the same in return when having to listen to the disgusting descriptions and displays of our heavily addicted taste bud pleasures being bounced around spaces everywhere one goes, pretty much. Bombarded with commercials, billboards, fast-food-like flesh cooking spaces/aromas on every corner, and the ass backwards heavily funded marketing schemes of presenting photos of "happy" cows/chickens/etc. in every aisle of most grocery spaces. Talk about uncomfortable.

And then happening upon animal rescue organizations set up outside of the grocery spaces who are raising money to support their mission by selling dead cooked animal flesh for people to eat. Really??? How can those dots not be connected in their hearts? I just don't get it, and not sure I ever will. Navigating social arenas becomes quite an art when you no longer partake in reality in the same way the majority does. Navigating self remains the most important journey. It's a jungle out there.
Werewolf Girl, Purp and Symondezyn like this.
#948 Old 11-13-2016, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowtions In Motion View Post
Being asked to "tone it down" and censor myself for the comfort of others when I refer to meat as flesh, eggs/dairy as bodily excretions, and slaughtering/hunting as murder when discussing food in certain arenas. We can't have folks calling it what it really is, now can we? Grrrrrrrrr..........

I very much understand the importance of slow and healthy transition and the need for educating compassionately and kindly, which I feel using terms that describes it all for what it really is can only help in painting a clear and vivid picture. Otherwise, it's just more sugar coating and tap dancing around the real deal, which only seems to prolong the all too long and widely accepted ignorance.

If only I could do the same in return when having to listen to the disgusting descriptions and displays of our heavily addicted taste bud pleasures being bounced around spaces everywhere one goes, pretty much. Bombarded with commercials, billboards, fast-food-like flesh cooking spaces/aromas on every corner, and the ass backwards heavily funded marketing schemes of presenting photos of "happy" cows/chickens/etc. in every aisle of most grocery spaces. Talk about uncomfortable.

And then happening upon animal rescue organizations set up outside of the grocery spaces who are raising money to support their mission by selling dead cooked animal flesh for people to eat. Really??? How can those dots not be connected in their hearts? I just don't get it, and not sure I ever will. Navigating social arenas becomes quite an art when you no longer partake in reality in the same way the majority does. Navigating self remains the most important journey. It's a jungle out there.
I know I have been asked before to tone it down as well.
Purp and Knowtions In Motion like this.

—Henry David Thoreau
My site
#949 Old 11-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I feel the same way! Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is completely insane, or maybe I am for being bothered by cruelty since so few others seem to be...
Purp and Knowtions In Motion like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#950 Old 11-19-2016, 04:07 PM
adapt. evolve. become

the only thing my mom wants to talk to me about is about veganism.. in a negative way.. Says I should be more tolerant, like other vegans seem to be.
so imagine if someone you were close to pretended to be vegan for a very long time, wouldn't it be heart breaking if one day you knew they were lying the entire time to make you happy?
Purp likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind
#951 Old 11-19-2016, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Huntress View Post
the only thing my mom wants to talk to me about is about veganism.. in a negative way.. Says I should be more tolerant, like other vegans seem to be.
so imagine if someone you were close to pretended to be vegan for a very long time, wouldn't it be heart breaking if one day you knew they were lying the entire time to make you happy?
It sounds like she's the one being intolerant!

I'm sorry you have to deal with that, dealing with family seems like one of the hardest parts of being vegan sometimes.
Purp likes this.

#952 Old 11-19-2016, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Would you mind if I adopted you? I have no problem with veganism...

Quote:

I'm sorry you have to deal with that, dealing with family seems like one of the hardest parts of being vegan sometimes.
@Werewolf Girl is right. Sometimes family is the hardest. Hang in there and keep your chin up.

I have a book on hold from the library, and it isn't in yet.

#953 Old 11-20-2016, 09:21 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Quote:

She has been very supportive of me being a vegan for the last 7 years, but everything changed. Now she complains that I am vegan.

Quote:
Would you mind if I adopted you? I have no problem with veganism...
Sure.

One of my pet rats died last week and it looks like I'm going to lose another one real soon. I think he has a rare type of tumor on his face, vet seems to think so too. He had surgery twice already and that didn't help. It just grew back a week later. So I got some medicine to make him comfortable. I will miss him, he is a loving and social rat. There are some rats I bond with more than others, and he is one of them.
Purp likes this.

#954 Old 11-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
She has been very supportive of me being a vegan for the last 7 years, but everything changed. Now she complains that I am vegan.

Sure.

One of my pet rats died last week and it looks like I'm going to lose another one real soon. I think he has a rare type of tumor on his face, vet seems to think so too. He had surgery twice already and that didn't help. It just grew back a week later. So I got some medicine to make him comfortable. I will miss him, he is a loving and social rat. There are some rats I bond with more than others, and he is one of them.
I'm sorry you aren't having a good year.

#955 Old 11-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
I volunteer for a rescue organization that has partnerships in the community, and benefits from a yearly fundraising BBQ - I help out at this fundraiser because I care deeply about the cause, but it is very difficult to navigate my feelings regarding the selling of meat to help animals

Last time I was actually asked to help serve meat and I refused, as politely as possible... I was then made fun of by one person, and lectured by another. On the other hand, there were some good conversations opened up, and you never know what kind of thought processes you inspire in someone when that happens, so there is sometimes a silver lining
#956 Old 11-22-2016, 02:29 PM
adapt. evolve. become

Considering having Santa put to sleep. He is a lovely rat, I will miss him tons. He's one of those rats who could make friends with anyone.
I think what he has is Zymbal’s gland tumor. These types of tumors can also cause abscesses. It's gotten so large that he was bleeding from his eye and his teeth is starting to over grow. He's been losing weight. A few weeks ago, I was told this was only an infection. I think this type of tumor is so uncommon that the vet I go to hasn't heard of it.
Purp and rasitha.wijesekera like this.

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 11-22-2016 at 02:42 PM.
#957 Old 11-22-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Considering having Santa put to sleep. He is a lovely rat, I will miss him tons. He's one of those rats who could make friends with anyone.
I think what he has is Zymbal’s gland tumor. These types of tumors can also cause abscesses. It's gotten so large that he was bleeding from his eye and his teeth is starting to over grow. He's been losing weight. A few weeks ago, I was told this was only an infection. I think this type of tumor is so uncommon that the vet I go to hasn't heard of it.
I'm really sorry. That's a hard decision to have to make for our friends.
Purp likes this.
#958 Old 11-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
I volunteer for a rescue organization that has partnerships in the community, and benefits from a yearly fundraising BBQ - I help out at this fundraiser because I care deeply about the cause, but it is very difficult to navigate my feelings regarding the selling of meat to help animals

Last time I was actually asked to help serve meat and I refused, as politely as possible... I was then made fun of by one person, and lectured by another. On the other hand, there were some good conversations opened up, and you never know what kind of thought processes you inspire in someone when that happens, so there is sometimes a silver lining

Quote:

#959 Old 11-23-2016, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Gardein is discontinuing most of their products in Canada until a new plant is built . Only 4 will be available.
The apparent reason is that they are unable to meet demand. WTF?!
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 11-23-2016 at 04:53 PM.
#960 Old 11-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post

I'm not surprised that those people reacted that way. Animal rescue activists who eat meat are probably very internally conflicted.
Purp and Symondezyn like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page