The Stupid Little Gripes/Pet Peeves/Things That Piss You Off/General Rant Superthread v.2.0 - Page 31 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 879Likes

#901 Old 09-13-2016, 04:32 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I want to tell the two guys that suddenly got involved in our lives and drastically changed it to eff off. I don't get any say in this, yet I'm a control freak at the same time.
Purp likes this.

All we are is dust in the wind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#902 Old 09-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Plant Powered

Really annoyed by people who feel like they have the right to judge me for being vegan. What business is it of some stranger what I choose to feed myself? I don't march up to strangers and tell them they are gross for shovelling breast milk and dead carcass in their faces. And the anger/hostility it causes!!!... why does my personal decision to eat plants make other people so MAD??? o.O
#903 Old 09-14-2016, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpkyteroo luebeck View Post
My biggest pet peeve is that those without allergies are allowed to be upset and even angry if someone tries to kill them or threatens them, but those with food alleriges are not allowed to be upset at all if someone purposefully puts food you are allergic too, in the dish you brought so that you would have something you can eat. This makes me want to get a law passed that requires all people to go through a simulated reality that illustrates what it is like to be allergic. I would also add in various disabilities to this simulated reality as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
What kind of jerks are you hanging around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpkyteroo luebeck View Post
I was at a Family Reunion. It is the last family reunion I will ever go to in the USA. It is also the last family gathering that is outside of my parents home that I will go to. Christmas is going to really interesting this year. Unless my parents host, I will most likely go to a friends house because it will be better.
Your FAMILY did this?? What is WRONG with them???!!! I'll adopt you and respect your food allergies.
tpkyteroo luebeck likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#904 Old 09-15-2016, 03:13 AM
Veggie Regular

It's 6:10 am and I would be getting ready to go for my morning walk but it's still dark outside. As much as I thoroughly enjoyed the Summer season I am ready for and love Autumn...but the downside is the shortening of the days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purp and tpkyteroo luebeck like this.
#905 Old 09-15-2016, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

And we are still on Summer hours at work so I probably won't get my walk in. Luckily we go back to 9-5 on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purp and tpkyteroo luebeck like this.
#906 Old 09-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Eggs are a common allergen, why would you not put "eggs" in bold in the ingredients?

Luckily, I am not allergic, but I got the crackers thinking they were vegan. I read the ingredients, but didn't catch that.
Thalassa likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#907 Old 09-17-2016, 10:17 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Did you do a Carolina style BBQ recipe? that's vinegary rather than sweet and tangy. I made this one, yum, even made the broccoli slaw.

http://minimalistbaker.com/bbq-jackf...-avocado-slaw/

BBQ JACKFRUIT

2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit in water (NOT in syrup or brine)
1/4 cup BBQ seasoning (2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder)
3/4 cup BBQ sauce (ensure it’s vegan) + more for topping

AVOCADO SLAW (optional)

2 cups shredded cabbage + carrots (Trader’s has a great cruciferous veg mix)
1/2 ripe avocado
1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
1 lemon or lime, juiced
Salt + Pepper to taste
(water to thin)

FOR SERVING

4-6 whole grain vegan buns (GF for gluten free eaters)
1/2 cup roasted salted cashews (or roast on your own - see notes*)

Instructions

Rinse, drain and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the center "core" portion of the fruit and discard. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Toss to coat.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit. Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some color.
Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes (up to 35 minutes on low for a deeper flavor).
Remove lid and stir occasionally. TIP: For finer texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down.
In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables (avocado through salt + pepper) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Thin with water until a thick sauce is made, then add veggies and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra color/texture (a tip I learned from Namely Marly!). Then remove from heat.
Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns, top with generous serving of BBQ jackfruit, and cashews. Serve with extra BBQ sauce!
Leftover jackfruit keeps for up to a couple days in the fridge, though best when fresh.

Notes
* Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 5 sandwiches with avocado slaw

and roasted cashews.
* Loosely adapted from Blissful Basil.
* To roast your own cashews: Toss 1/2 cup cashews in a bit of oil and sea salt and spread on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until roasty, fragrant and slightly golden brown.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 sandwich Calories: 431 Fat: 13.6g Saturated fat: 2.6g Carbohydrates: 65g Sugar: 17g Sodium: 1000mg Fiber: 15.7g Protein: 11.5g

Aha. ..homemade is always better, right? Thanks for sharing this, I'll have to try it sometime.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#908 Old 09-20-2016, 04:00 PM
99% Vegan

@Purp - Thanks!

I just found out that Choline may be low in some Vegan diets. It all depends on how much you eat per day of certain foods. I went Veganhealth helped me do the math. Whats Awesome is that I learned I do need Choline supplements.

On topic:
Where I live, the days are getting shorter too. Snow will be coming and I am so not looking forward to it. Oh well.
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Allergic99%Vegan
#909 Old 09-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm still waiting on my CPC exam results. I took the test one full week ago now. The coworker who took it at the same time hasn't gotten her results yet either. Our status is still "in transit to AAPC". Now I have to wait til Monday. Ugh the suspense is killing me. I wanted it to be all over with by now.
leedsveg likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#910 Old 09-24-2016, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I'm still waiting on my CPC exam results. I took the test one full week ago now. The coworker who took it at the same time hasn't gotten her results yet either. Our status is still "in transit to AAPC". Now I have to wait til Monday. Ugh the suspense is killing me. I wanted it to be all over with by now.
I've been thinking about you! I bet you great! No matter what, you should be very, very proud of yourself!
I'm trying to a medical bill fixed because it was coded wrong! The bill was from bloodwork back in March, and I just recieved the bill-for $655! All because it coded 'routine' rather than medically neccessary- for vitamin D and thyroid s hormone!
leedsveg and Naturebound like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#911 Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I've been thinking about you! I bet you great! No matter what, you should be very, very proud of yourself!
I'm trying to a medical bill fixed because it was coded wrong! The bill was from bloodwork back in March, and I just recieved the bill-for $655! All because it coded 'routine' rather than medically neccessary- for vitamin D and thyroid s hormone!
Ouch! I'm sorry that happened to you. I hope you can get it fixed without too much hassle. I once made an error in coding someone's cancer infusion. To my credit I had been told to use a certain encounter diagnosis code when billing for Neulasta as a prophylactic injection when the patient receives chemotherapy, and it turns out this particular encounter code was incorrect (at least when we switched from ICD 9 CM to ICD 10 CM). It took a bit of research and even reaching out to coders from other organizations but I finally figured out the correct code to use to make the insurance company happy. it was unnerving though. I felt really bad for the patient as they were stressed enough. I have been on both sides of the coin. I had a $9000 bill for an eating disorder treatment in 2009 that insurance refused to cover because my dietitian visits were billed and coded as "mental health", not medical. I am only allowed so many mental health visits in a year. I was also doing group therapy in an intensive outpatient setting as well as individual, so unbeknownst to me I far exceeded the allowed mental health visits I had until I received that bill. My doctors helped me try to appeal it but insurance refused to budge. The eating disorder facility ate most of the cost but I still had to pay $2000 out of pocket. I was so upset with the whole ordeal I left treatment and got very very sick for a while, got to my lowest weight. Ironically I got better on my own over time, and utilizing FREE types of support groups and so on lol.

As a side note, I always tell new vegans or anyone wanting to have their B12 or D checked that often in order for these tests to be covered by insurance, there has to be a medically necessary reason (ie symptoms like fatigue, bone aches etc). Asking to have them checked simply as a baseline often doesn't fly with insurance. Sighs.
leedsveg likes this.

#912 Old 09-27-2016, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Is making a disgusted face a requirement when doing vegan taste test videos for YouTube?
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#913 Old 09-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Have you gotten the results yet?

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#914 Old 09-29-2016, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Have you gotten the results yet?
Believe it or not, I am STILL waiting! When I go online to the site to check my status, it still says "received". I can not believe it is taking this long. I am going out of my mind.

#915 Old 09-30-2016, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Believe it or not, I am STILL waiting! When I go online to the site to check my status, it still says "received". I can not believe it is taking this long. I am going out of my mind.
I'd respond to this, but I saw what you said in the "Happy Things" thread and already responded there. *goes off to do a happy dance for @Naturebound *
Naturebound likes this.

#916 Old 09-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
I'd respond to this, but I saw what you said in the "Happy Things" thread and already responded there. *goes off to do a happy dance for @Naturebound *
Yup, my post here is now null.
karenlovessnow likes this.

#917 Old 10-01-2016, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Gooberknuckles! Double gooberknuckles Triple gooberknuckles The Mariners lost a real nail biter in Seattle today, 9-8 in Extra innings, to Oakland. They are NOT going to the playoffs this year.

#918 Old 10-04-2016, 08:33 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I regret getting rid of my snare drum a few years ago.
I want a full set now. Can't decide between electric and acoustic. I would like acoustic, but it might be too loud.
Purp likes this.

#919 Old 10-16-2016, 05:02 PM
Impeach the gangster

I bought a Mr. Coffee coffee maker from Amazon about 6-weeks ago. After 2-weeks, the power switch failed and it stopped functioning. Amazon let me return it, and sent me a new one. After one-month, the power switch crapped out, just like the other one. It looks like Mr. Coffee has gone the cheap-o route with its electronics...
Purp likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#920 Old 10-16-2016, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
I bought a Mr. Coffee coffee maker from Amazon about 6-weeks ago. After 2-weeks, the power switch failed and it stopped functioning. Amazon let me return it, and sent me a new one. After one-month, the power switch crapped out, just like the other one. It looks like Mr. Coffee has gone the cheap-o route with its electronics...
@Capstan !! It's been too long!!! How've you been?
Capstan likes this.

#921 Old 10-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Impeach the gangster

Hi @Purp ! I'm doing well, I guess (except for the coffee pot.) How about you? You weren't caught in those storms, were you?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#922 Old 10-17-2016, 01:30 PM
adapt. evolve. become

learning is hard
it can be hard to get out of anxiety mode and into focus mode.
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Pirate Huntress; 10-17-2016 at 01:35 PM.
#923 Old 10-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Hi @Purp ! I'm doing well, I guess (except for the coffee pot.) How about you? You weren't caught in those storms, were you?
Nope. Lights flickered a couple of times and that was it. As storms go, these were pretty boring.

#924 Old 10-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Some people are damn stupid when driving...

****,you have an open area you can move to for two seconds so we can both pass, instead you're waiting for me to be the one to move when there are cars parked beside me?!

#925 Old 10-27-2016, 01:04 PM
Impeach the gangster

Follow up on the Mr. Coffee issue- I sent a message directly to Mr. Coffee and *****ed about it. They have sent me a 3rd replacement unit, free of charge. It remains to be seen whether it will work longer than a few weeks. I was disappointed to learn their machines are made in China. I won't be trading with them any longer.
Purp likes this.

#926 Old 10-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Follow up on the Mr. Coffee issue- I sent a message directly to Mr. Coffee and *****ed about it. They have sent me a 3rd replacement unit, free of charge. It remains to be seen whether it will work longer than a few weeks. I was disappointed to learn their machines are made in China. I won't be trading with them any longer.
Coffee makers have sure gone downhill in the last few decades. A few years ago I had bought a brand new coffee maker only to have it go out on me within a month. And that was only using it once time a day.
Purp likes this.

#927 Old 10-27-2016, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted, and, no matter whether Clinton or Trump wins, neither one are people I want as president. I wouldn't elect either one as dog catcher

#928 Old 10-28-2016, 01:54 PM
adapt. evolve. become

No lesson this week. He's out of town. Didn't know until I got there and he wasn't there.

#929 Old 10-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

It's bad enough that at my place of work, which is not much more than a huge warehouse filled with cubicles, they decided to reduce every single cubicle to half it's size, in order to accommodate 60 more people being moved into our building. And then being shuffled to tiny temporary cubicles while my new permanent area is being worked on. But today on one side of me, a coworker coughed and hacked all day long with an awful amount of phlegm. She has a bad cold. Lovely. And on the other side of me, a coworker had to go home early due to nausea and vomiting. Should I just plan to stay in bed and munch on fruits and veggies all weekend and hope for the best or what!!!???
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.

#930 Old 11-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Coffee makers have sure gone downhill in the last few decades. A few years ago I had bought a brand new coffee maker only to have it go out on me within a month. And that was only using it once time a day.
I've been using a French press for years, there's no technology to mess up and I think the coffee tastes better too. The only downside is you can only make two cups at a time.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page