The Stupid Little Gripes/Pet Peeves/Things That Piss You Off/General Rant Superthread v.2.0 - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 880Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Grrrr people that drive while on their phones talking /texting ! As a pedestrian / bicyclist it is quite scary when a driver is not paying any attention to the road sad.gif

I worry a lot about this too as a bicyclist and pedestrian.  I ride my bike almost every day to work and around town (until the snow hits which will be any time now).  I was already hit once several years ago, just a bump by someone in a huge minivan that pulled out of a driveway too far and not looking first and was on a cell phone, but that little bump required 4 months of physical therapy due to knocking my back out of alignment and I had to replace my back tire.  I try to follow the rules to a t, use hand signals, stop at every light and wait, stay off to the side and so on.  I always wear bright clothes and a helmet.  And still I get harassed by people.  Today someone almost ran into me as I was riding along a busy road and passing through an intersection.  I had the green light and right of way and I was going straight and they came up fast from behind on my left and apparently wanted to make a right hand turn and didn't see me until the last second.  The person honked at me and I still can't figure out exactly what I did wrong that they felt the need to honk.  A few intersections later I came to a more complicated intersection I don't feel comfortable riding through, so I got off my bike, got up on the sidewalk, and walked my bike across the crosswalk as a pedestrian and another person made a right hand turn RIGHT in front of me and cut me off even though once again I had the green light and crosswalk this time.  Are people really in THAT much of a hurry?  Today was just not a good day for riding.  I wish I lived in a town that was friendlier towards bikes and pedestrians.  Sighs.  End gripe for the day.

Aristede likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Aristede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,897

^Don't come to Chicago, Naturebound! Our bikers and pedestrians almost get run over on a daily basis (though many of them tend to break the traffic laws, unlike you). 

 

Traffic in Chicago is the pits! It took forever while I was riding the express down Lake Shore Drive. The Bears were playing at Soldier Field, Columbus Drive was being prepped for The Chicago Marathon, and then there was the normal evening traffic! I like living in Chicago, but the traffic....ugh.

 

[Windy City traffic] :gun:

 

Aristede:book: 


"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Aristede is offline  
#63 Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post
 

^Don't come to Chicago, Naturebound! Our bikers and pedestrians almost get run over on a daily basis (though many of them tend to break the traffic laws, unlike you).

 

Traffic in Chicago is the pits! It took forever while I was riding the express down Lake Shore Drive. The Bears were playing at Soldier Field, Columbus Drive was being prepped for The Chicago Marathon, and then there was the normal evening traffic! I like living in Chicago, but the traffic....ugh.

 

[Windy City traffic] :gun:

 

Aristede:book:

I can't even imagine riding a bicycle in Chicago, never mind driving!  Eeks.  I was at the Chicago airport back in March and also the Houston one, and while Houston was bigger, the Chicago airport was insanely busy and crowded, but there were people from all over the world there and it was amazing to people watch and take it all in.  When I go to Minneapolis I am also amazed at how many people ride bicycles and they have bike lanes all over.  It's much lonelier up here riding a bike and no bike lanes or paths in my area.  There are just too many cars on the road.  :(  I wish more people would cycle.  One road I ride on near work is a winding road and also an area where a lot of Canada geese and ducks hang out.  Almost daily there is some dead bird smashed in the road because people drive way too fast on that road and don't take the time to pay attention to other living beings besides cars on the road.  Ugh.


In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#64 Old 10-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Aristede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
 

I can't even imagine riding a bicycle in Chicago, never mind driving!  Eeks.  I was at the Chicago airport back in March and also the Houston one, and while Houston was bigger, the Chicago airport was insanely busy and crowded, but there were people from all over the world there and it was amazing to people watch and take it all in.  When I go to Minneapolis I am also amazed at how many people ride bicycles and they have bike lanes all over.  It's much lonelier up here riding a bike and no bike lanes or paths in my area.  There are just too many cars on the road.  :(  I wish more people would cycle.  One road I ride on near work is a winding road and also an area where a lot of Canada geese and ducks hang out.  Almost daily there is some dead bird smashed in the road because people drive way too fast on that road and don't take the time to pay attention to other living beings besides cars on the road.  Ugh.

 

Oh. I despise driving for similar reasons! Fortunately, I live in a city with good public transport, so I opt not to drive. Chicago drivers are the very definition of insanity. Lately I've been noticing more roadkill on regular city streets. In my area near Lake Michigan, we have a lot of lagoons, small ponds, and forests so there are a lot of different kinds of wildlife. I see slain animals all the time on the streets, who were more than likely hit by motorists. :( Let's not get into the people who obey traffic laws that get hit by motorists...

 

Aristede:book:


"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Aristede is offline  
#65 Old 10-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post
 

 

Oh. I despise driving for similar reasons! Fortunately, I live in a city with good public transport, so I opt not to drive. Chicago drivers are the very definition of insanity. Lately I've been noticing more roadkill on regular city streets. In my area near Lake Michigan, we have a lot of lagoons, small ponds, and forests so there are a lot of different kinds of wildlife. I see slain animals all the time on the streets, who were more than likely hit by motorists. :( Let's not get into the people who obey traffic laws that get hit by motorists...

 

Aristede:book:

I would probably use public transit all the time if I lived in such a big city too.  Driving makes me such a nervous wreck lol.  I can not stand to be rushed either.  I lived in Columbus Ohio my first 21 years and never once drove there (didn't learn to drive until I was 23).  I used public transportation all the time or rode with others.  I won't even drive in Minneapolis.  My husband does the driving when we go down there.  Once we traveled around by train and light rail.  Duluth is pretty easy driving compared to the bigger cities lol.  That is awesome that you live close to Lake Michigan!  My Dad used to bring my sister and I up to Traverse City Michigan every summer for a week.  I always remember how blue the big lake was.  Now I live right by Lake Superior and it is very different than Lake Michigan but beautiful in it's own way too.


In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#66 Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
amira23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
 

I hate being a passenger in the car when this happens. I finally confiscated my friend's phone because of it. I told her to pull into a parking lot if she wanted her :furious:  phone back.

 

My friend came to my house for coffee and conversation.  I told her that if she didn't turn her phone off, I was going to put it in the freezer.  We had a good time.  Later, she called and said all the stuff that she didn't answer on her phone was worthless - she didn't miss a thing of importance.

amira23 is offline  
#67 Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
lavender phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,644
I admit I'm a texter ..... but I do not drive and even if I did I wouldn't text / talk and drive .... it isn't worth it .... also I do not text and ignore my friends and family that is soooo rude! :/
lavender phase is offline  
#68 Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
lavender phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,644
ok here's another .... please close the lid when you flush .... I had to explain that to room mates and they used to laugh .... its not so funny that their toothbrush is in its holder not to far from the toilet sad.gif I just think it is gross bleh! :x
lavender phase is offline  
#69 Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Aristede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

I admit I'm a texter ..... but I do not drive and even if I did I wouldn't text / talk and drive .... it isn't worth it .... also I do not text and ignore my friends and family that is soooo rude! :/

 

I don't text with my phone if I'm with friends and family because I think it's rude too. If I have to talk or text, I excuse myself. I am amazed when I travel with friends and I see them texting while driving. I definitely say something because I desire the continuance of my own existence... :worried:

 

Aristede:book: 


"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Aristede is offline  
#70 Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
So I finally joined the 21st century and upgrade my 15 year old CRT television to a big LCD flat screen. Went to put it together last night, and I thought it would just be a matter of moving machines around and plugging in wires. Turns out, the base needed to be attached before I could stand it up, and the screws didn't quite fit perfectly. So I spent half an hour and hurt my hand from gripping the screwdriver so tight from forcing the screws to finally go in all the way.

Also, the guy who sold me the TV lied to me about what cable I'd need to plug in my DVD player, so I spent money on cables I didn't actually need. Apparently, connecting using HDMI is supposed to produce better picture quality than the older connection cables, though, so I'll consider keeping it instead of returning that cable to get my $20 back.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Fromper is offline  
#71 Old 10-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591

I've been having migraines for the last week and a half. 5 major ones. Last night I was up a lot with a bad runny nose and pain in my ears, teeth, and face. I'm sick. This sucks.

danakscully64 is offline  
#72 Old 10-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Aristede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
 

I've been having migraines for the last week and a half. 5 major ones. Last night I was up a lot with a bad runny nose and pain in my ears, teeth, and face. I'm sick. This sucks.

 

Feel better! :hug:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

So I finally joined the 21st century and upgrade my 15 year old CRT television to a big LCD flat screen. Went to put it together last night, and I thought it would just be a matter of moving machines around and plugging in wires. Turns out, the base needed to be attached before I could stand it up, and the screws didn't quite fit perfectly. So I spent half an hour and hurt my hand from gripping the screwdriver so tight from forcing the screws to finally go in all the way.

Also, the guy who sold me the TV lied to me about what cable I'd need to plug in my DVD player, so I spent money on cables I didn't actually need. Apparently, connecting using HDMI is supposed to produce better picture quality than the older connection cables, though, so I'll consider keeping it instead of returning that cable to get my $20 back.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

 

I'm not good at installing anything, so I often have other people do it. I had so many issues with installing and setting up my flat screen when I first got it. My cable technician told me HDMI cables do help produce a better quality picture, but it's unfortunate that the truth wasn't told when you were making a purchase decision. :-/

 

Aristede:book: 


"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Aristede is offline  
#73 Old 10-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I've been having migraines for the last week and a half. 5 major ones. Last night I was up a lot with a bad runny nose and pain in my ears, teeth, and face. I'm sick. This sucks.
That sucks. I hope you feel better soon.

On my TV, I really didn't think installing it all would be a big deal. The biggest problem I anticipated was moving the old TV out of the way, because those old TVs are big and heavy. But I still have an old rolling TV stand that I wasn't actually using, so I was able to transfer it to that and roll it out of the living room, and it wasn't so bad. I may even keep that old TV on the old TV stand, and set it up next to my computer in the other room, so I can watch TV while on my home PC, without taking up screen space on the computer monitor.

I didn't realize I'd have to attach the base to the new TV before plugging everything into it. That base was the big pain in the butt. Once I got it attached, and stood it in place, plugging in the wiring took all of 10 seconds. If it wasn't for the base needing to be attached first, the whole thing would have been simple. Once the wiring was done, I just had to go through some menus with the remote controls to get everything talking to each other, and now everything works fine. I was expecting an easy installation, which I got, other than the hardware of having to attach the base to the TV.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Fromper is offline  
#74 Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591

Thank you for the well wishes.

 

 

Another gripe: the Starbucks near my new house ran out of soy milk yesterday so I got dairy instead. My frappuccino ended up having a good 3 inches of foam, it was weird. I'll have to try another Starbucks for today, I won't be able to make my own since I'm out of soy milk at home and still moving.

danakscully64 is offline  
#75 Old 10-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,793

That's too bad about the migraine. I hope you are feeling better soon. Is there a Starbucks drink you could have sans milk (cow, soy or otherwise)?


Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#76 Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
 

That's too bad about the migraine. I hope you are feeling better soon. Is there a Starbucks drink you could have sans milk (cow, soy or otherwise)?

 

Thanks! I think the migraines are caused by the weather. It keeps going back and forth between hot and cold. I was going to order a tea, but I really needed coffee yesterday. I went to Starbucks today, but a different one and got an iced soy vanilla latte. Yum!

danakscully64 is offline  
#77 Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Newbie
 
Ron Albury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11

Hi danakscully, sorry to hear you're under the weather. A co-worker suffers from migraines and knowing very little about it, I Google it. Here is an interesting article as it relates to natural ways to ease the pain.

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/natural-migraine-relief_n_1666726.html

 

Hopefully this may help.

Aristede likes this.
Ron Albury is offline  
#78 Old 10-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591

Thanks Ron. I'm now officially sick, so I know my headaches are caused by a sinus infection. I'm supposed to work at 6:15 today, but I don't think I can. The pressure is bad, I have to keep up on Excedrin or Advil around the clock or it hits me like a ton of bricks when they wear off.

danakscully64 is offline  
#79 Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Thanks Ron. I'm now officially sick, so I know my headaches are caused by a sinus infection. I'm supposed to work at 6:15 today, but I don't think I can. The pressure is bad, I have to keep up on Excedrin or Advil around the clock or it hits me like a ton of bricks when they wear off.

Awww, that does not sound fun at all. You should definitely take the day off and give yourself some serious TLC. hug.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#80 Old 10-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post


Awww, that does not sound fun at all. You should definitely take the day off and give yourself some serious TLC. hug.gif

 

Worst case, I can go into work hyped on Excedrin. I worked this exact same shift last week and I was out in 3 hours. It was slow and easy. My job is to just go in and give 5 servers 30 minute breaks. I only have 3 shifts next week, so it's so tempting to just stick it out and work.

danakscully64 is offline  
#81 Old 10-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591

Alright, I have another gripe, but it's so ridiculous that it's funny. So after my Dad spent almost 3 hours changing my alternator, I found out today that it might be faulty. My battery was acting up this morning, so I took my car back to Auto Zone. The guy said he was positive that my battery needed to be replaced, but it's also possible the alternator is bad too (although a mechanic said it could be a switch or fuse). I have to take my car to a mechanic in the morning, hopefully it's a cheap fix and it's not a bad alternator. My check engine light has been on for months, I know for a fact that my oil and coolant both leak.

danakscully64 is offline  
#82 Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular
 
Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post


My gripe right now is that I'm SICK. I caught the worst cold that's been going around as the seasons change and I feel like I'm made of mucus right now. My head is pretty small, it amazes me that this much snot can even be coming out of it.... spew.gif

I'm sorry you are not feeling well.

I think sleeping with a vaporizer in your bedroom can help a lot. I think the "cool mist" kind is fine, although some people feel the need to add medication to the "steam" a hot mist vaporizer pours out.
Aristede likes this.
Joe is offline  
#83 Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
Pet peeve: web sites that have white text on black backgrounds. They mess with my vision and leave "after images" even after I click away. At this point, I pretty much boycott any such sites. It doesn't matter how much I want to read your content, it isn't worth suffering through that.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Aristede likes this.
Fromper is offline  
#84 Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular
 
Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Pet peeve: web sites that have white text on black backgrounds. They mess with my vision and leave "after images" even after I click away. At this point, I pretty much boycott any such sites. It doesn't matter how much I want to read your content, it isn't worth suffering through that.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

I'm surprised that someone has not invented a browser add-on (or whatever they are called) that would allow a person to change the way these pages are presented easily.

Firefox has a View | Page Style | No Page Style setting* that I often use for a blog that puts bright yellow text on a white background. Dunno what this would do with white text on a black background.


*The default setting is View | Page Style | Basic Page Style.
Aristede likes this.
Joe is offline  
#85 Old 10-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325

Hi danakscully. I hope that both you and the car are a lot better now.

 

Leedsveg :up:

leedsveg is offline  
#86 Old 10-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Rinchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Both here and not here
Posts: 677
Something that's bothering me lately, actually always has but just reared its ugly head lately is people, many of whom are are this site, deliberately put you down to make you look stupid. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to it but that shouldn't excuse the action. Frequently I find myself thinking that veg*ns are some of the nastiest people I've met.
Rinchen is offline  
#87 Old 10-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Aristede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

Something that's bothering me lately, actually always has but just reared its ugly head lately is people, many of whom are are this site, deliberately put you down to make you look stupid. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to it but that shouldn't excuse the action. Frequently I find myself thinking that veg*ns are some of the nastiest people I've met.

 

And that's certainly not the atmosphere we want present at VeggieBoards whatsoever. If you are so inclined, please PM me or any of the moderators if you have an issue you think needs to be addressed and it will be looked into with all due diligence.

 

Aristede:book: 


"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Aristede is offline  
#88 Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Purp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinchen View Post

Something that's bothering me lately, actually always has but just reared its ugly head lately is people, many of whom are are this site, deliberately put you down to make you look stupid. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to it but that shouldn't excuse the action. Frequently I find myself thinking that veg*ns are some of the nastiest people I've met.

:no:   Sh...Uh...$h00t, I hope I haven't written anything that sounds like that. I tend to be more on the helpful/give advice/or a hug/whatever is needed. Trust me, I don't think I'm a veg*n expert by any stretch...Plus, I think you are smarter then I am, too. :book:  I hope this clears up soon. Take care.


Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Purp is offline  
#89 Old 11-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591

I found an awesome bra at Victoria's Secret, similar to the one they discontinued years ago that I was in love with. Well, I just found out they don't make it in my size. The biggest size they have is a D cup. *shakes fist*

danakscully64 is offline  
#90 Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616

Slow drivers

Bikes on the road. They should be ridden on the sidewalk not on the road slowing down traffic.


"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

jessandreia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off