The Stupid Little Gripes/Pet Peeves/Things That Piss You Off/General Rant Superthread v.2.0 - Page 11 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 880Likes

#301 Old 11-03-2014, 09:48 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Ack! The Christmas commercials have begun!
I don't even care about Christmas anymore, and you couldn't pay me enough money to go out on "black friday" to participate in the annual stampede. In fact, besides (obviously) having to buy food and gas, me and my husband have kind of been financially protesting the entire holiday season these past few years. Absolutely no frivolous purchases that would be giving our financial or otherwise support to these greed-driven retailers from Thanksgiving to Dec 26th! We've had enough!
Capstan and leedsveg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 Old 11-05-2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
I don't even care about Christmas anymore, and you couldn't pay me enough money to go out on "black friday" to participate in the annual stampede. In fact, besides (obviously) having to buy food and gas, me and my husband have kind of been financially protesting the entire holiday season these past few years. Absolutely no frivolous purchases that would be giving our financial or otherwise support to these greed-driven retailers from Thanksgiving to Dec 26th! We've had enough!
Black Friday is truly the lowest form of soul sucking capitalism that ever managed to crawl out from under the slimy rock of corporate greed. I have never and will never patronize any store that opens on that day and I've also pretty much perma-boycotted a lot of the ones that participate in this travesty. That goes double for any place that's going to be open on Thanksgiving day to try to scam even more money from people who are desperate to save a few bucks. Ugh...just vile.

"Compassion is ethical intelligence: it is the capacity to make connections and the consequent urge to act to relieve the suffering of others." ~ Will Tuttle
#303 Old 11-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Ack! The Christmas commercials have begun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised By Wolves View Post
I was in a store the other day that was playing christmas music already. I pretty much ran screaming toward the exit and left without buying what I had come for. Maybe we should give up and just have christmas 365 days a year. I'm sure that would please our corporate overlords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Christmas.

Or as it's called in the animal kingdom, "slaughter-mas".

The longer I live, the more irrelevant it seems in my life.

(Must remember to buy a bag of humbugs.)

Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised By Wolves View Post
Black Friday is truly the lowest form of soul sucking capitalism that ever managed to crawl out from under the slimy rock of corporate greed. I have never and will never patronize any store that opens on that day and I've also pretty much perma-boycotted a lot of the ones that participate in this travesty. That goes double for any place that's going to be open on Thanksgiving day to try to scam even more money from people who are desperate to save a few bucks. Ugh...just vile.
You mean to tell me I'm not all alone in this thinking?? Thank God!! I thought I was the only one.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#304 Old 11-06-2014, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
You mean to tell me I'm not all alone in this thinking?? Thank God!! I thought I was the only one.
Must be millions thinking the same thing "How did Christmas become the nightmare we have now?" Answer: Christ-mas-hysteria.

Wake me up when it's all over...
Purp and Raised By Wolves like this.
#305 Old 11-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

We celebrate the winter solstice instead of Christmas for the past few years. More emphasis on gratitude, less on greed.
#306 Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
We celebrate the winter solstice instead of Christmas for the past few years. More emphasis on gratitude, less on greed.
A Festivus for the rest of us!

http://festivusweb.com/
Purp and LedBoots like this.

"Compassion is ethical intelligence: it is the capacity to make connections and the consequent urge to act to relieve the suffering of others." ~ Will Tuttle
#307 Old 11-18-2014, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Grrr... I made a delicious vegan lasagna and everyone unveganized it by adding cheese. :frustrated:

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#308 Old 11-18-2014, 04:06 AM

One of the things that bothers me the most is when people keep talking to me while I'm wearing headphones. Specially when they're not even speaking to you to begin with, but once you put the headphones on it's like they find a million things to say. I'm not sure if it's intentional but it sure is annoying, haha.
Purp likes this.
#309 Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Is it official Walk-In-Front-Of-Traffic Week? Did I miss a memo?

--Fromper
Purp likes this.
#310 Old 11-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
Is it official Walk-In-Front-Of-Traffic Week? Did I miss a memo?

--Fromper
*looks in Fromper's trash* Here it is, Fromper. "This week you must were dark clothing and walk in front of traffic without bothering to look both ways. This is a proclamation from The Mayor, The Governor, and the President of the United States.

#311 Old 11-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
*looks in Fromper's trash* Here it is, Fromper. "This week you must were dark clothing and walk in front of traffic without bothering to look both ways. This is a proclamation from The Mayor, The Governor, and the President of the United States.
In retrospect, I think it was just Monday, not the whole week. Driving 15 minutes to get home at 11 pm at night, I had 4 different groups of people just walk out and cross various streets, nowhere near a corner, and with no regard for whether or not there were cars coming. It was just weird to see that many in one night.

--Fromper
Purp likes this.
#312 Old 12-05-2014, 02:53 AM
Impeach the gangster

The roads are snowy, so I can't ride my bicycle.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#313 Old 12-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
In retrospect, I think it was just Monday, not the whole week. Driving 15 minutes to get home at 11 pm at night, I had 4 different groups of people just walk out and cross various streets, nowhere near a corner, and with no regard for whether or not there were cars coming. It was just weird to see that many in one night.

--Fromper
Were they on their mobile phones? It's a well known fact that when you're on your mobile, you can walk out in front of trucks, cars, bicycles and it's physically impossible for them to collide with you .
Purp and mecanna like this.
#314 Old 12-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
The roads are snowy, so I can't ride my bicycle.
You can get one of those stands Capstan to convert your bike into an exercise bike and then you don't need to cycle outside.
Purp likes this.
#315 Old 12-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I got on pinterest and was scrolling down tbrough the stuff that my friends pin and one of the first things that popped up was a deer hanging upside down into a bucket with the caption "the best way to bleed and skin a deer"
I think im just going to unfollow that person...
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#316 Old 12-10-2014, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Eww.. There's pictures of me out there from 15 years ago, elbow deep in a deer carcass, covered in gore. (I used to "process" the deer people gave my family.) One of my family found one and showed it to me. It probably shouldn't have, but it irritated the mess out of me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Purp likes this.
#317 Old 12-11-2014, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Not as gross as that but about 15 years ago i went out to visit m grandparents in wyoming and i went to my taxidermist uncles house and my parents had me stand next to and touch some kf the taxidermy he did and they took pics and then they had me hold a deer head and theres a pic of that to.
Purp and mecanna like this.
#318 Old 12-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I do love it when material is taught the day before it will be tested! I don't mean a silly quiz that doesn't count for anything either. It's going to be a looong afternoon.
Purp likes this.
#319 Old 12-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't like bad manners - but I really HATE it when someone displays poor manners to their own spouse/partner, including putting them down in front of others (even in a joking manner). Come to think of it, I don't like hearing of them doing it privately either! My boss, who is a lovely person, mentioned not long ago about her husband referring to her as a b-----. I said nothing, but I sure didn't feel good about it.
Purp and VeggieTalk like this.
#320 Old 12-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I don't like bad manners - but I really HATE it when someone displays poor manners to their own spouse/partner, including putting them down in front of others (even in a joking manner). Come to think of it, I don't like hearing of them doing it privately either! My boss, who is a lovely person, mentioned not long ago about her husband referring to her as a b-----. I said nothing, but I sure didn't feel good about it.
I have the same pet peeve. Too many of the people I surround myself with do this sort of thing.
I really wish they wouldn't. The world would be a lot better off if people respected eachother.

The same thing for elders that humiliate young people or talk down to them just because (the reverse as well). I've been on the receiving end (as most have, I'm sure) and can tell you this: Not pleasant. Not pleasant at all.
Purp, mecanna and Rocket like this.
#321 Old 12-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
You can get one of those stands Capstan to convert your bike into an exercise bike and then you don't need to cycle outside.
What I want are those "rollers", they look like great fun, if a little tricky at first. I think I'll get some before next winter.
Purp likes this.
#322 Old 12-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

My company just moved locations, and we went from nice sized cubicles to cramped, tiny desks with minimal storage space and no privacy.

--Fromper
Purp likes this.
#323 Old 12-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

This is sort of a rant, but sort of something I'm happy about!

Last Thursday my office had their annual party. In the past, there hasn't been much for me to eat that was vegan so I asked the party organizers who were handling the catering if I could just bring something of my own- not that I was going to make a scene or anything. They wound up including a vegan dish, along with the things containing dairy and meat- and it happened to be a favorite of mine- Chana Palak, a dish of spinach, garbanzo beans, and potatoes, pleasantly seasoned.

My rant is: everybody liked it- not just the vegetarians- and it was one of the first things to be completely devoured by the time I went back for seconds. *pout* Fortunately, there were sides, raw vegetable trays, etc that I could eat.

But I'm glad too, because it was clearly labelled "vegan", and now everyone knows vegan food can be tasty (if they didn't know that before). WIN!!!!!
Capstan, silva, Purp and 2 others like this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#324 Old 12-16-2014, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Tom, I'd put that one in the win category. And the next time your company has an event like this, remind them that this dish was one of the first things to disappear, so hopefully they'll order a larger quantity of it. That way, there will be more for you AND more other people will be able to try it.

--Fromper
Tom and Purp like this.
#325 Old 12-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ Good idea! I told the organizers that it was good, and that I appreciated it, but I didn't tell them it went over big with everyone else too... I really ought to have, so I will tomorrow.

Quote:
Grrr... I made a delicious vegan lasagna and everyone unveganized it by adding cheese. :frustrated:
That IS frustrating. I hope they only unveganized their own portions and didn't dump cheese on the whole thing.
Purp likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 12-17-2014 at 04:10 PM.
#326 Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
^^^ Good idea! I told the organizers that it was good, and that I appreciated it, but I didn't tell them it went over big with everyone else too... I really ought to have, so I will tomorrow.

That IS frustrating. I hope they only unveganized their own portions and didn't dump cheese on the whole thing.
No, just their own...Does anyone know the big deal about cheese, anyway? Am I missing something?

#327 Old 12-19-2014, 01:19 AM
Veggie Regular

My sciatic nerve will not stop hurting! I went to the chiropractor (usually fixes is), took numerous hot showers, took Advil, stretched, laid down.... still so much pain. I have no insurance, so I can't really go to the doctor. Plus I'm leaving on a trip this Sunday. This is the worst time for this pain to be in full effect, I'm flying from the US to Sweden this weekend. It's my first real vacation ever (first time leaving the country) and the last thing I want is to be in pain.

#328 Old 12-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
My sciatic nerve will not stop hurting! I went to the chiropractor (usually fixes is), took numerous hot showers, took Advil, stretched, laid down.... still so much pain. I have no insurance, so I can't really go to the doctor. Plus I'm leaving on a trip this Sunday. This is the worst time for this pain to be in full effect, I'm flying from the US to Sweden this weekend. It's my first real vacation ever (first time leaving the country) and the last thing I want is to be in pain.
Some ideas:
http://healthworkscollective.com/frm...dies-that-work

And
http://m.prevention.com/fitness/yoga...ches-and-pains

Good luck! And Sweden, I'm so jealous! Have a great trip!!
danakscully64 likes this.
#329 Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Some ideas:
http://healthworkscollective.com/frm...dies-that-work

And
http://m.prevention.com/fitness/yoga...ches-and-pains

Good luck! And Sweden, I'm so jealous! Have a great trip!!
Thank you! I tried Yoga already. I really need to stay off my feet. I just finished my 9 day stretch of work.

LedBoots likes this.
#330 Old 12-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
Thank you! I tried Yoga already. I really need to stay off my feet. I just finished my 9 day stretch of work.
Take care of your feet. Pamper them! Very good for sciatica.
LedBoots and leedsveg like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page