The Stupid Little Gripes/Pet Peeves/Things That Piss You Off/General Rant Superthread v.2.0 - Page 10 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 880Likes

#271 Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Why does rock always have to be so loud??!!

Okay- I'm 62. But I've often worn earplugs to rock concerts, even long ago. I don't like having my ears feel funny for the next day. Last week I went to a good concert- Def Leppard and Kiss. Several times we were all on our feet, singing along and having a good time, but I could not even hear my own voice clearly. I might've been on-key, or flat, or sharp. It's exciting to be surrounded by all that sound, and feel the drums and bass in your chest, but it's almost more noise than music. It's part of the reason I like classical music most of all.
I have a friend who is a songwriter in the country music industry. I've gone along with him to rock concerts at local clubs here in Nashville. The first thing he does when attending such concerts is to insert earplugs. (!) Pretty ironic, huh? Apparently, this cuts down the volume but still allows you to enjoy the music.
Tom, Purp and LedBoots like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 Old 08-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Who wants to join me in shaking this goombah by the neck like a maraca? His kids get first dibs.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#273 Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Who wants to join me in shaking this goombah by the neck like a maraca? His kids get first dibs.
What an anal sphincter.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#274 Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I have a friend who is a songwriter in the country music industry. I've gone along with him to rock concerts at local clubs here in Nashville. The first thing he does when attending such concerts is to insert earplugs. (!) Pretty ironic, huh? Apparently, this cuts down the volume but still allows you to enjoy the music.
I've always done this because the music hurts my ears, even before I was an old lady. The new earplugs rule.
Tom likes this.
#275 Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I've always done this because the music hurts my ears, even before I was an old lady. The new earplugs rule.
I used to have custom ear plugs, molded to fit my ears. But I also have a sister who's an audiologist, so selling those and hearing aids is her profession, and I was able to get them cheap.

--Fromper
Tom and LedBoots like this.
#276 Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I was let go yesterday from my first job training at Subway after 3 hours (fairly sure after just 2 hours, he was already thinking of letting me go), because second the manager "I was standing around not doing much, and don't show initiative". Mind you that:
1. I admitted to him at the interview that I knew nothing about the job. I can't take initiative on a job I don't know how to do well yet, nor do I know what needs to be done. He saw me standing around, and never said "go do this".
2. There were too many workers walking around during my training hours, and it go to a point where there wasn't enough work for everyone.
3. Every time I asked one of my co-workers if there was anything for me to do (they were the ones training me), they said no. Or if I sometimes offered to do something, they'd go "no. no. I'll do it".
4. Training was supposed to be a week, and they literally showed me how to do everything in 2 hours; which didn't give me time to practice things well.

Maybe the manager is right, and I'm not good at the job. However, considering the lack of work and costumers during my training hours, and maybe the lack of proper training, I do feel that I wasn't given a fair chance.

One positive that I can take from this, is that being shown how to do everything helps if I get another chance to train/work at a Subway.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 08-26-2014 at 07:43 PM.
#277 Old 08-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
I was let go yesterday from my first job training at Subway after 3 hours (fairly sure after just 2 hours, he was already thinking of letting me go), because second the manager "I was standing around not doing much, and don't show initiative". Mind you that:
1. I admitted to him at the interview that I knew nothing about the job. I can't take initiative on a job I don't know how to do well yet, nor do I know what needs to be done. He saw me standing around, and never said "go do this".
2. There were too many workers walking around during my training hours, and it go to a point where there wasn't enough work for everyone.
3. Every time I asked one of my co-workers if there was anything for me to do (they were the ones training me), they said no. Or if I sometimes offered to do something, they'd go "no. no. I'll do it".
4. Training was supposed to be a week, and they literally showed me how to do everything in 2 hours; which didn't give me time to practice things well.

Maybe the manager is right, and I'm not good at the job. However, considering the lack of work and costumers during my training hours, and maybe the lack of proper training, I do feel that I wasn't given a fair chance.

One positive that I can take from this, is that being shown how to do everything helps if I get another chance to train/work at a Subway.
There is always something to clean. There is usually something to prep, floors to sweep and mop, and dishes to wash. Self directed tasks at hand are what they likely expected you to recognize as needing to be done.

Best luck in the future.
#278 Old 08-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post
There is always something to clean. There is usually something to prep, floors to sweep and mop, and dishes to wash. Self directed tasks at hand are what they likely expected you to recognize as needing to be done.

Best luck in the future.
It was a small store. Not much space to move around. I don't know if having started sweeping the floor asking people to move, etc. would have made them happy. I helped store deliveries that had arrived, helped prepare the vegetables, wash the dishes... I did do some things, but there were too many people (4 including me, plus manager) working during my training hours (we probably had about 15 costumers at best in those 3 hours). Two times at least, I offered to do something and was told by my co-workers that they'd do it. Am I supposed to fight them about it on the first day, especially with me being the new one there?
You might think I don't have a right to be complaining and should have done better (your post sounds like you think so. My apologies in advance if I'm wrong about that), but I do think it's pretty crappy that the manager didn't give me a single direction on what tasks to do.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 08-26-2014 at 08:39 PM.
#279 Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
I do think it's pretty crappy that the manager didn't give me a single direction on what tasks to do.
I get beanspud's point and pretty much agree, there's generally always something to do, even if it's just to make yourself look busy. Cleaning counters/tables/floors that are already clean, etc. You didn't have to move people, just clean around them.

On the other hand, I've never seen more than two employees working a Subway. It seems to be their standard shift. So I can see the "actual" work needing to be done being pretty sparse.

My question to you is 'who hired you?' Was it this manager? A different manager? Or a regional office?

The reason I ask is sometimes small departments/shops can get "territorial" and pull together in a perceived effort to "protect" themselves from someone from "the outside"

Just a hypothetical for your situation, based on what you said...

Some stores (Walmart is famous for this) work really hard to keep employees below 40 hours/week to avoid paying benefits. That's the corporate policy. But to do that they need to hire more employees than they'd need if they had all "full time" employees (and paid them overtime for busy periods) The goal of the employees (presumably) is to work as many hours as they can which is contrary to company policy. But if the existing employees can get all the work done without letting a new hire do anything, maybe they can get that person fired (before they've managed to figure out what they're doing) potentially freeing up those hours to be divided among the existing employees.

Now, in a smaller shop, like a Subway. The same situation could occure. But it's also possible that the store manager might be empathetic to their desire for more hours. It's likely to be a more tight knit group than a Walmart. Corporate policy requires them to hire more people for fewer hours each, but if those new hires don't work out.... What is he to do?

This would only be made worse if the new employee was hired by someone other than the store manager. He might see this as a corporate usurping of his authority, giving him an additional incentive for this new person to fail.

Point is, workplace politics can be tricky to navigate, even in the best of situations. Could you have done more to help yourself out? Sounds like you possibly could. Was the deck stacked against you from the beginning? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

My advice? Don't be angry about the way this worked out for you. Learn what you can from the experience and use it to your advantage in your next position (and there is always more to learn than the mechanics of the job)

Best of luck,

Ken
#280 Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Quote:

Best luck in the future.
It was a small store. Not much space to move around. I don't know if having started sweeping the floor asking people to move, etc. would have made them happy. I helped store deliveries that had arrived, helped prepare the vegetables, wash the dishes... I did do some things, but there were too many people (4 including me, plus manager) working during my training hours (we probably had about 15 costumers at best in those 3 hours). Two times at least, I offered to do something and was told by my co-workers that they'd do it. Am I supposed to fight them about it on the first day, especially with me being the new one there?
You might think I don't have a right to be complaining and should have done better (your post sounds like you think so. My apologies in advance if I'm wrong about that), but I do think it's pretty crappy that the manager didn't give me a single direction on what tasks to do.
Of course you have a right to complain. I have evaluated new employees such as yourself, and was sharing my perspective as a manager evaluating a potential new employee. I would instruct you on how to perform tasks, but no employee should have to wait for directions to stay productive. I'm merely offering constructive criticism, please don't be offended.
#281 Old 08-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've been in the food industry for 12 years. The fact that the manager gave you no direction on your first day was absolutely terrible on his part. You tried to help and were told not to. I think people in the industry forget what it's like to be brand new. I'm sorry it didn't work out, it sounds like they were overstaffed. The employees should have taken the time to show you how to accomplish the tasks at hand, no matter how small. If it makes you feel better, every single person I've known who has worked for Subway says they're a crappy company to work for. Many years ago they took advantage of a law that was in place to pay a trainee less than minimum wage. They paid my sister about $4 an hour for 2 weeks. I'm sure you'll find better work. Good luck!

Tom likes this.
#282 Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Banned

a friend of mine is competitive with me and exaggerates the heck out of things to make her self look better which makes her look worse.these days,i take her claims with a grain of salt since i've caught her in exaggeration and lies to fluff her image.
Purp likes this.
#283 Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Of course you have a right to complain. I have evaluated new employees such as yourself, and was sharing my perspective as a manager evaluating a potential new employee. I would instruct you on how to perform tasks, but no employee should have to wait for directions to stay productive. I'm merely offering constructive criticism, please don't be offended.
I disagree with you. You cannot expect someone who is only 3 hours into training to be able to know exactly what needs to be done, especially when the store is seriously overstaffed and the trained employees are on it. I bet the employees wanted to make sure it was done right, so they didn't allow her the chance to try and learn. I've seen people who were completely lost at the beginning turn into amazing employees. When I was brand new at 16 working at In-n-out burger, I was super shy, nervous, and uncertain. I became a loyal employee and have always worked really hard. Even at 24 starting my current job, I wouldn't have been able to "stay busy" long after 3 hours of training. Also remember, it's common for employees to look down on the noobs.

Tom likes this.

Last edited by danakscully64; 08-27-2014 at 11:02 PM.
#284 Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellevegan239 View Post
a friend of mine is competitive with me and exaggerates the heck out of things to make her self look better which makes her look worse.these days,i take her claims with a grain of salt since i've caught her in exaggeration and lies to fluff her image.
Ugh, that's not a good friend. Sorry you're dealing with this.

Purp likes this.
#285 Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

If any of you are housing developers, this is for you. We went out for a day trip near Mount Rainier...There was an ugly housing development there!!!! The roads were paved, too. Part of going up there is unpaved roads. It was almost civilized...The horror...Fortunately, the nearby town had some cool stuff, including abandoned houses and an abandoned business right on the main drag, so it wasn't a complete loss. Oh, and we saw some wildlife like a deer, chipmunk, squirrels, birds, etc.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#286 Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Job applications. I could say more.... but you get the general idea.
Purp, LedBoots and Rocket like this.
#287 Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

And big arenas for concerts. I wanted to see Morrissey, but the only UK date is in a massive Arena,and the only affordable tickets will be too far away for it to be worthwhile, to me anyway.
#288 Old 09-02-2014, 07:40 AM
an irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a Balloon a Balloon View Post
And big arenas for concerts. I wanted to see Morrissey, but the only UK date is in a massive Arena,and the only affordable tickets will be too far away for it to be worthwhile, to me anyway.
i sort of stopped bothering with big concert venues, although i think i would make an exception for a few names, Morrissey included!

My general pet peeve is being a gentleman of certain size and stature, around 6'2 , 240ish lbs, i am often thought of to be some kind of "bro-dude" or goon which couldnt be further from my personality. as a hobby, i do some metal shaping, work on antique cars and have a few bay garage behind a car club that i spend some time puttering away in. i had gotten word that a club member was looking for me to do some sheet metal work on his muscle car and i wandered over to their cookout they were having Saturday, was offered an array of meats which i politely declined and was received with a "alright Nancy" by the guy doing the grilling. my friend Tom just happened to walk up and introduced me to the griller as the person who he (griller) was looking for to do his restoration work...i informed him, i wasnt interested.

different story, same big goonish looking white guy instance; i work in a laboratory within a manufacturing plant, i was walking past a door and opened it for a delivery guy, who said something to the effect of he was working to hard was being treated like "a white n word ". i had never met the person in my life, far from any type of racist, but i am a big white guy so its cool! i suggested maybe he was just lazy and incompetent among other things before suggesting he eff off.
Purp likes this.
#289 Old 09-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
i sort of stopped bothering with big concert venues, although i think i would make an exception for a few names, Morrissey included!

My general pet peeve is being a gentleman of certain size and stature, around 6'2 , 240ish lbs, i am often thought of to be some kind of "bro-dude" or goon which couldnt be further from my personality. as a hobby, i do some metal shaping, work on antique cars and have a few bay garage behind a car club that i spend some time puttering away in. i had gotten word that a club member was looking for me to do some sheet metal work on his muscle car and i wandered over to their cookout they were having Saturday, was offered an array of meats which i politely declined and was received with a "alright Nancy" by the guy doing the grilling. my friend Tom just happened to walk up and introduced me to the griller as the person who he (griller) was looking for to do his restoration work...i informed him, i wasnt interested.

different story, same big goonish looking white guy instance; i work in a laboratory within a manufacturing plant, i was walking past a door and opened it for a delivery guy, who said something to the effect of he was working to hard was being treated like "a white n word ". i had never met the person in my life, far from any type of racist, but i am a big white guy so its cool! i suggested maybe he was just lazy and incompetent among other things before suggesting he eff off.
Ah, that sounds like a pain. I probably don't get much of that, I don't really have that look- not a big guy, and with quite Morrissey-esque hair People making assumptions about you and including you in their prejudices and what not must be very annoying.
#290 Old 09-03-2014, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

chewing with open mouth. especially gum.

Makes me want to blow up.
Purp likes this.
#291 Old 09-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post

Ugh, that is the worst! The sound it makes.... *shudder*
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#292 Old 10-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Impeach the gangster

My order of perishable food from VeganEssentials has been delayed by "one business day" by UPS, which, because it's Friday, means it will be delayed 3-days until Monday. UPS sucks.
Purp likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#293 Old 10-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Being sick all the time, not being able to finish anything, I want to quit my voluntary job, but I'd lose a lot of my social life and I would stay at home all the time. I don't know what to do with my life and I'm confused
Not a small pet peeve, but it bothered me
Sent using tapatalk 2

Last edited by oniari; 10-10-2014 at 02:46 PM.
#294 Old 10-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I woke up too early this morning. Being Sunday, I wanted to get at least a little rest before spending the day running errands, but I woke up around 4 AM and wasn't able to fall back asleep. Since I went to bed relatively early last night (10 PM), I got nearly a full night's sleep, but I have a busy day planned, so I would have preferred another 2 hours sleep, so I won't crash by mid-afternoon and need a nap.

--Fromper
#295 Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Ugh, that is the worst! The sound it makes.... *shudder*
What the chewing with the mouth open or Diesel blowing up?

#296 Old 11-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Impeach the gangster

Ack! The Christmas commercials have begun!
Purp and Raised By Wolves like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#297 Old 11-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Ack! The Christmas commercials have begun!
I was in a store the other day that was playing christmas music already. I pretty much ran screaming toward the exit and left without buying what I had come for. Maybe we should give up and just have christmas 365 days a year. I'm sure that would please our corporate overlords.
Purp and Kiwibird08 like this.

"Compassion is ethical intelligence: it is the capacity to make connections and the consequent urge to act to relieve the suffering of others." ~ Will Tuttle
#298 Old 11-02-2014, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Christmas.

Or as it's called in the animal kingdom, "slaughter-mas".

The longer I live, the more irrelevant it seems in my life.

(Must remember to buy a bag of humbugs.)

Lv
Capstan and Purp like this.
#299 Old 11-03-2014, 08:34 PM
No flesh since 99'

My biggest pet peeve at the moment- Cool weather is back, and so is my least-favorite of all fashion trends- leggings! In and of themselves, I have nothing against leggings and wear them myself to keep my legs warm and be able to wear skirts and dresses in cool weather. HOWEVER... (IMO) They are kind of like a bra or underwear, only for your legs. And if you *insist* upon wearing them sans an appropriate bottom garment, please make sure they aren't so sheer as to show off your undies and/or the fact you are not wearing any. I already hate going out for numerous reasons, but some days I really have a strong urge to do my shopping with a blindfold on><
Purp likes this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 11-03-2014 at 08:51 PM.
#300 Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Impeach the gangster

I'll be so glad when tomorrow is over, so the campaign ads will cease!
Purp and Kiwibird08 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page