The "i hate my job" thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Im starting this because i really hate my job and im sure most of you do to. Ugh for starters i get no respect from any of my staff. I get walked all over and treated like poop. They have 0 respec for me mostly becasue im a woman. Theres 5 supervisors where i work and im the only woman. The guys all get respect. No body talks back to them. Its not fair or right. And then i have 2 little peckernats that think its ok to go outside and smoke weed on the job. And theres NOTHING i can do about it. Ive told my boss but she didnt do anything ( because shes a pothead to) when these to idiots get caught im going to get in trouble because there doing it when im in charge on the weekend.
Next my company treats my like crap. Ive already posted about this but for 3 years they never gave me any of my raises. They were on my paystub but they never calculated it into my pay. And then they wouldnt pay me for the 3 years that thy owed me. Also my company doesnt respect either. I never get a good job or a that looks good or anything like that (im a stupid cook btw)
Which brings me to the 3rd reason i hate my job. I dont like what i do. In fact its kind of against everything i stand for. I cant quit my job now though because i just bough a house and no one is going to start me off making the measly 13 dollars an hour im making now. I just cant win. I cant afford to go to school now either and i dont even know what i would want to do.

So why do you hate your jobs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 AM

I don't have an I hate my job story, presently (thankfully) but every person who gets low pay and hates their job, I want to ask, have you considered becoming a registered nurse?  My friend became one 3 years ago, at age 28 and started out making $20 an hour (which she thought was terrible) but after a year made $26 an hour x 12 hour shifts.  She chooses to work 3 nights, as opposed to 4 days and makes the same money.  If she chooses to work a 4th night, she gets time and a half.  $26 + $13 = $39 per hour, which is $468 for one night.  If they really need her, they entice her with an extra $10 an hour on top of the $39!  She can work as much or as little as she likes, but she's been making between $80,000 - $90,000 a year.  She has a lot of job security, too.

#3 Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

You have to go to school for that and i dont like people tongue3.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Beanitarian

I don't hate my work.  It's taken me years to be able to say that about a job.  There are some serious downsides to it so I am looking though.

Quote:

Ugh for starters i get no respect from any of my staff. I get walked all over and treated like poop. They have 0 respec for me mostly becasue im a woman. Theres 5 supervisors where i work and im the only woman. The guys all get respect. No body talks back to them. Its not fair or right.

So I don't get it.  You're a supervisor?  Why can't you write them up?  Have a chat and let them know how it's going to be and document the conversation with the time and date.  Tell them you're doing this and what the consequence will be if it happens again.  And then follow through.

Quote:
And then i have 2 little peckernats that think its ok to go outside and smoke weed on the job. And theres NOTHING i can do about it. Ive told my boss but she didnt do anything ( because shes a pothead to) when these to idiots get caught im going to get in trouble because there doing it when im in charge on the weekend.

Address their performance issues then, if you're not allowed to address the drug use.  Are they taking more breaks than allowed?  Are they absent?  Tardy? Slackers?  Did they violate any policies? Do anything unsafe? etc.

You could always call the cops when they're outside smoking.wink3.gif  Oops, did I say that?

Quote:
Next my company treats my like crap. Ive already posted about this but for 3 years they never gave me any of my raises. They were on my paystub but they never calculated it into my pay. And then they wouldnt pay me for the 3 years that thy owed me. Also my company doesnt respect either. I never get a good job or a that looks good or anything like that (im a stupid cook btw)

That sucks.

Quote:
Which brings me to the 3rd reason i hate my job. I dont like what i do. In fact its kind of against everything i stand for. I cant quit my job now though because i just bough a house and no one is going to start me off making the measly 13 dollars an hour im making now. I just cant win. I cant afford to go to school now either and i dont even know what i would want to do.

I've been in that situation maaaaaaaany times.  Is there anything at all that you could exploit at this job that would look good on a resume?  Do they offer any free training, any opportunities to learn/get experience doing anything additional?  I don't work in your field but in the fields I've worked in I've always took advantage of every single employee benefit and opportunity to learn something new.  It's served me well--it's how I yanked myself up from my bootstraps (not that it was easy by any means).  Not sure if that's an option for you?

Beanitarian.
#5 Old 12-09-2012, 11:40 AM

I was working in Macdonalds while studying last year. It sucked in so many ways that I'm not even going to start on it; so I quit and now I'm poor. Yay! broccoli.gif

If I post anything offensive, it's society's fault, not mine.
#6 Old 12-09-2012, 12:09 PM

From 12 - 14 I had a job picking berries during the summer.  I had to wake up at 5 a.m. to catch a bus to the berry field and I hardly made any money and they treated everyone like crap.  But, my worst job was working as a telemarketer.  You would not believe how mean some people are to telemarketers!  I only lasted like 3 weeks, but it taught me how to be nice to telemarketers:  Just say no thank you and hang up.

I always thought it was weird that they'd be so mean to someone who had their phone number.  I considered making a few late night phone calls, to a couple of the extra "special" people...but, I never did.  angel.gif

#7 Old 12-09-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

She works in intensive care and says that most of her patients are unconscious bodies.  School wasn't that difficult and it was only 2 years.  

#8 Old 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

I don't hate my work.  It's taken me years to be able to say that about a job.  There are some serious downsides to it so I am looking though.

So I don't get it.  You're a supervisor?  Why can't you write them up?  Have a chat and let them know how it's going to be and document the conversation with the time and date.  Tell them you're doing this and what the consequence will be if it happens again.  And then follow through.

Address their performance issues then, if you're not allowed to address the drug use.  Are they taking more breaks than allowed?  Are they absent?  Tardy? Slackers?  Did they violate any policies? Do anything unsafe? etc.

You could always call the cops when they're outside smoking.wink3.gif   Oops, did I say that?

That sucks.

I've been in that situation maaaaaaaany times.  Is there anything at all that you could exploit at this job that would look good on a resume?  Do they offer any free training, any opportunities to learn/get experience doing anything additional?  I don't work in your field but in the fields I've worked in I've always took advantage of every single employee benefit and opportunity to learn something new.  It's served me well--it's how I yanked myself up from my bootstraps (not that it was easy by any means).  Not sure if that's an option for you?

I have told my supervisor about the drug use and she didt do anytjing about it. Basically she pulled the one young man aside and gave him a slap on the wrist and said knocck it off and he said ok. And then on the weekends when my boss isnt there, thats when he goes out and does drugs on the job. The other guy does drugs all day everyday. He always gets skipped when they do random drug tests. That could have something to do with his mommy being an RN in the facility. If i could write people up or fire them these 2 wouldve been gone long ago but i cant. Im considered a supervisor but really im basically just a babysitter. I babysit young adults and watch them not do there jobs (metaphorrically speaking. Im not really a babysitter)
Its just so ridiculous and theres nothing i can do about it. Well i could go to a administrator but thats just going to stir up a bunch of s*** down in the kitchen. And the administrator isnt there on the weekends either so if iget these to boys in trouble here just going to be even worst for me on the weekend when theres no one else around. Ive tried to get them switched to the other weekend but it didnt work out.

Oh and about calling the cops, technically the one doesnt smoke real weed. He smokes that salvia stuff so technically its not illegal BUT he is at work under the influence which is obviously against our facilities policy. Its just ridiculous and theres no winning for me
#9 Old 12-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegantoo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

She works in intensive care and says that most of her patients are unconscious bodies.  School wasn't that difficult and it was only 2 years.  

As the RN, I have to talk with doctors, pharmacists, aides, unit secretaries, respiratory therapists, social workers, physical therapists, OR staff, patient families, dietary, radiology, lab, blod bank, etc etc etc. My mouth is tired after a shift.
#10 Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

As the RN, I have to talk with doctors, pharmacists, aides, unit secretaries, respiratory therapists, social workers, physical therapists, OR staff, patient families, dietary, radiology, lab, blod bank, etc etc etc. My mouth is tired after a shift.

Before she was an RN, she worked as a waitress and had to deal with the public non-stop and constantly suck up to everyone.  She doesn't have to do that anymore.  And as irritating as she finds some patients and staff members to be, I know that overall she's really happy with her career and the lifestyle it affords her.  smiley.gif

#11 Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Before she was an RN, she worked as a waitress and had to deal with the public non-stop and constantly suck up to everyone.  She doesn't have to do that anymore.  And as irritating as she finds some patients and staff members to be, I know that overall she's really happy with her career and the lifestyle it affords her.  smiley.gif

Oh believe me, I can't imagine doing anything besides nursing really, I've been a nurse for so many years. The vast majority of patients and families are great, and I work with a fantastic team. I was just pointing out that it may not be the job for krispix if she doesnt want to talk to a million people all day long. smiley.gif
#12 Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

From 12 - 14 I had a job picking berries during the summer.  I had to wake up at 5 a.m. to catch a bus to the berry field and I hardly made any money and they treated everyone like crap.  But, my worst job was working as a telemarketer.  You would not believe how mean some people are to telemarketers!  I only lasted like 3 weeks, but it taught me how to be nice to telemarketers:  Just say no thank you and hang up.

I always thought it was weird that they'd be so mean to someone who had their phone number.  I considered making a few late night phone calls, to a couple of the extra "special" people...but, I never did.  angel.gif

Oooo~ yeah telemarketing is not fun. It's unfortunate how many people forget that these people are humans too. It took a telemarketer who I was rude to,snapping back at me, until I stopped to think about what I actually did.  (My parents had yelled at telemarketers too, so I had picked it up from them. Important reminder to BE AN EXAMPLE). From then on, I was never rude to another telemarketer. I even made one's day immensely once. Like omg, it was so funny how happy this guy was just because I was thanking him and telling him I'd write down some info. He almost sounded like he was crying of happiness. He made some small talk with me after xD Whatever, it made me feel tons good inside, and it sure made him feel good. It was a win win.  :)  It hurts to me to see so many horrible telemarketer jokes on youtube. Despicable. And I know I had been rude to them before, but I could never have been as rude as some of the things I have seen people say they do to them. All it really takes an authority figure telling people that they can dehumanize someone, and they bow down to it. If you need a better example, the movie of that teacher who taught her children to discriminate on the color of their eyes as a social experiment comes to mind. She did it to the adults to, and it was extremely surprising how the adults sucked in every word, as if she was seriously for real. Crazy...anyway, yeah just had to throw that out there.

If you consider volunteer work a job (well, I didn't volunteer) I'd say every year working at a day camp for boys who don't listen to a word you say is something I hate. I don't like kids, and I think those camps helped solidify that. Though I shouldn't give the kids such a bad rep, it's usually the lazy parents who don't teach their kids and respect or morals (or in so much as "morals" that they teach, being hateful to people who they are supposed to not judge har har)

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#13 Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

If you consider volunteer work a job (well, I didn't volunteer) I'd say every year working at a day camp for boys who don't listen to a word you say is something I hate. I don't like kids, and I think those camps helped solidify that. Though I shouldn't give the kids such a bad rep, it's usually the lazy parents who don't teach their kids and respect or morals (or in so much as "morals" that they teach, being hateful to people who they are supposed to not judge har har)

I can sympathise with this, I volunteer with a scout group so I go on loads of camping trips with children. The absolute worst is when they're near fires.

#14 Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowsyturtle View Post

I can sympathise with this, I volunteer with a scout group so I go on loads of camping trips with children. The absolute worst is when they're near fires.

What happens when they are near fires? o.O  I always worked at a day camp so we never really did anything with fire, well other groups did, but that wasn't what I was helping out with.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#15 Old 12-09-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Quote:

What happens when they are near fires? o.O  I always worked at a day camp so we never really did anything with fire, well other groups did, but that wasn't what I was helping out with.

Forest fires, singed children, general messing around. And let's not even talk about axes... lipsrsealed2.gif

#16 Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Stupid question but...

Why not changing you job for one you will love ?

Can take a bit of formation, time and money.... But isn't it worth it ?

I had more jobs that i can count ( seriously, i am unable to remember them all ).

Everytime i got bored of a job or i don't like it, i take another one, find something i am curious about or want to try, give it a try and hop. And again. And again.

Now i don't have any obligations ( no girlfriend, no children, no debts, no stress ).

I just keep some money aside for the moment inbetween two jobs and i trust myself.

But at worst i have some skills that allow me find quickly a job in emergency in translation or IT without problem.

You don't need to know what you want to do, just try different things.

If you fill urgent needs the pays can be good ( but a bit of pressure can come along that you need to be able to manage with a raggae compilation ) and you can have crazy hours also... Hard to find perfection but hey.

I had a boring job with a good pay and good hours ( 9 to 15 ), awesome jobs with little or no pay ( like humanitarian stuff among others ), things inbetween, good pays good hours horrible jobs....

Neither the world not you are frozen, if you want a change, make it happen.

You can also make your own jobs. Or rent your newly bought house to someone and live in a cheaper place, the difference being a bonus for your bank account... You can invent something and live from the royalties... Like a new veggie meat or a new ecological device...

Trust yourself and don't be too afraid of adventures, and you will find a job you like much more.

Jennifer C and drowsyturtle like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#17 Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 AM

I work in IT and yea, I pretty much hate my job. It's indoors in a building thats too cold, the dresscode sucks, some of my coworkers won't stop talking, and most of my tasks are repetitive and inane.

It does pay well and I get a lot of time off and I know a lot of people would love to have my job but I can't help thinking I'm wasting my life being there.

#18 Old 12-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

in IT the only way to go is freelance and being so above average than people are chasing you and don't dare upset you :-)

You decide your projects, and at home ( or in a starbucks or in a hotel ) the dress code is whatever you want.

Forget working in an office.

It takes some time and personal projects to build a solid reputation thought.

Security is nice but the pressure is high, as is the need to be constantly aware of what is going on. And you know that there is always always a weakness.

The two big advantages of IT are 1) huge demand, so you can choose your jobs ( short contracts are the way to go, with renogociation of the salary for a renewal ), and 2) the possibility of proving your knowledge and passing certifications by yourself without any incredible diploma from an incredible school ( but your background must be 200% clean )

500-800 pounds a day ? No problem. People ready to pay you the travel and the hotel and the food to interview you for a job in another country ? No problem. But the eyes suffer. A lot. My view is gone down seriously and in the end i gave up cuz the money was not worth the hours spent on a chair killing my eyes. Unless you want to use the money for laser eye surgery. And to be honest the pure logic of the work week after week is a bit debilitating imho. And agree that its useless. Your app is not gonna change the world, or if it can someone else can do it and will do it, your big company website will be hacked if they really want to do it, etc. Had a friend who was making porn sites. Biiiig money. Every morning the first thing he was seeing the same weird stuff. Not a dream job, but a good plan B.

#19 Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Forest fires, singed children, general messing around. And let's not even talk about axes... lipsrsealed2.gif

Really? I was a scout myself and then a leader (for about a year) and we never had this around fire. No problem with axes either and children start using them when their about 12 (sometimes 11). What about yours?

#20 Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Why not changing you job for one you will love ?

But what about skills? I'm a teacher, trained as one, I have no other professional skills and can't get a job other than this as no wants to hire me. I'm a bit puzzled by your post then cause changing jobs and or career is certainly not something I would find easy myself

#21 Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Easy ? I didn't say anything about easy.

There is a difference between difficult and impossible.

Like Che Guevara said, if i had known it was impossible, i wouldn't have done it ( or something in those lines ). People have invented writing, the wheel, planes, conquered incredible amounts of land, won impossible battles, right now we are talking via the written word without even knowing where the other one is... Internet, it's called.

so changing your job...

This morning i read an article about a woman learning to be a nurse. At 74.

At uni i was with a guy of 60 something.

An "easy" job you could perhaps get without qualifications is to collect money on the streets for charities, payed around 10 pounds/euros per hour, as a teacher you are more than qualified, they generally recruit students, you could be boss of a small team. Or work on a farm for a month or two.

A teacher should be the first to know that it is possible to learn new things and that it is never to late for this and that it opens doors you didn't even knew existed. What are you teaching to your students ? Boring textbook copy pasta :-) ? Follow the easy lazy way ? No disrespect intended ( but i am an ass ).

Easy ? Who cares about easy ?

The difficulty is not in the action. It's in our balls and how hard we want it. Ready to take risks ? To Give it time ? To travel ? To change your home ? To earn less ? To be away from your friends ? To see you familly less often ? Or would you actually be more happy being said a cashier in a supermarket living with your familly and near your friends, at the expense of a "social position" ? You think they want qualifications to be a cashier ? Or a parking guard ? I am ready to bet that jobs with no need for qualifications count in the hundreds of thousands all over the world ( wanna travel ? ).

Do you prefer to earn big bucks to pay your 2 month hollydays say in thailand or do you prefer to earn very little and live in thailand ?

Sit down, have a drink, check your dreams, check if you want to accomplish them, check how hard you want it. #protip : you could die tomorrow.

Easy... WTF. It's all about balls and will.

My kung fu teacher taught me this :

WILL

DISCIPLINE

DEDICATION

If you got the three you got no limits. Still working on the discipline, but i manage without :-)

THEN, once you are doing what you want, know how hard it has been to get there ( i had some serious panic attacks at the beginning when i ended up with no job and bills to pay for me my home and my ex, and then i managed and graduated in badassitude ), THEN it gets EASY, but the first steps are always bringing a bit of a heart attack. Balls, my dear, balls. Self confidence. And then the world stands open.

#22 Old 12-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post

Quote:

Really? I was a scout myself and then a leader (for about a year) and we never had this around fire. No problem with axes either and children start using them when their about 12 (sometimes 11). What about yours?

To be fair, when I have problems is when I'm working with children from other groups. They seem to think they can get away with things around me that they couldn't with their own leaders (probably because I'm 20 but look like I'm 15. A gift/curse of a vegetarian diet I suppose).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page