Yak For Power I: The New And Improved VB Chat Thread - Page 98 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1194Likes

#2911 Old 02-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

I am pooped! I had a busy day. Why are weekends not relaxing when you're a student and/or buying a house?

Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2912 Old 02-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

I have been insanely clouded headed lately, for about the last month. Really bad, I've had a hard time focusing on school work. I decided to order some Multi-vitamins and Vitamin D. I've been taking them for about 4 days and today I felt a lot better. I don't know if the vitamins are helping, but I know I have issues with low Vit D.

#2913 Old 02-13-2016, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
I have been insanely clouded headed lately, for about the last month. Really bad, I've had a hard time focusing on school work. I decided to order some Multi-vitamins and Vitamin D. I've been taking them for about 4 days and today I felt a lot better. I don't know if the vitamins are helping, but I know I have issues with low Vit D.
You need to eat mushrooms and visit California.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2914 Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
You need to eat mushrooms and visit California.
What kind of mushrooms?

I lived in California for almost 28 years and I still had low Vitamin D

Purp likes this.
#2915 Old 02-14-2016, 12:49 PM
Ankle Biter

Pictures??? I've been lurking hoping to see pictures of the house dks!
Purp likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#2916 Old 02-14-2016, 01:34 PM

But....but...but...there's FOG in California! The rains can go on until March or even April and you can go weeks or months without seeing the sun. Yea, the mushrooms are great, but...

Oh. You meant SoCal. Like San Francisco. I'm such a dork.

/Humboldt
Purp likes this.
#2917 Old 02-15-2016, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
What kind of mushrooms?

I lived in California for almost 28 years and I still had low Vitamin D
How in the name of Holy Ootchclaw did you live in sunny CA and have low vitamin D??!!
Tom likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2918 Old 02-16-2016, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Pictures??? I've been lurking hoping to see pictures of the house dks!
Alright, alright. I'll get you some now

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg1973 View Post
But....but...but...there's FOG in California! The rains can go on until March or even April and you can go weeks or months without seeing the sun. Yea, the mushrooms are great, but...

Oh. You meant SoCal. Like San Francisco. I'm such a dork.

/Humboldt
What's rain?

Quote:
How in the name of Holy Ootchclaw did you live in sunny CA and have low vitamin D??!!
Easy, being a vampire! I have really fair skin, so I avoid the sun like the plague.

#2919 Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Here are a few. The house needs a major update, but it's in pretty good shape. The layout and location are AMAZING.

Entry:

Kitchen (there are more cabinets to the left):

Upstairs main living area:

Backyard:

Upstairs Deck (It's HUGE):

Tom, Purp, LedBoots and 1 others like this.
#2920 Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Ankle Biter

Wow! I love that wall of windows looking out into the trees!!! Congratulations! When's closing?
danakscully64 and Purp like this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#2921 Old 02-16-2016, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here are a few. The house needs a major update, but it's in pretty good shape. The layout and location are AMAZING.

Entry:

Backyard:

It's beautiful! I am so envious.
Purp likes this.
#2922 Old 02-16-2016, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow! I love that wall of windows looking out into the trees!!! Congratulations! When's closing?
I know, that's what stole our hearts at the beginning! Our realtor warned us that this house needs work and we were hesitant to even see it. The windows were the first thing we saw that perked our interest. The view from the windows and deck is stunning. There are 5 bedrooms total (used to be 6, but they removed a wall downstairs to make 1 giant room), we're turning one into an office and maybe removing one upstairs to expand the master bath and add a half bath. We will also be making the giant room into a game room. We have so many ideas. We're getting an amazing deal!

We close at the end of next month. The 31st, at the latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
It's beautiful! I am so envious.
Thank you

Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#2923 Old 02-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

I want to turn this:

Into this:

We eventually want to paint the cabinets white. The cabinets are solid, excellent quality. We have to buy a new fridge immediately, the one in there is really gross. In the future, we want to get new countertops. Shortly after moving in, we're going to take down all wallpaper, remove popcorn ceilings, and paint. We're taking on a BIG project, but I know if we ever want to sell that we'll have a lot of equity. We need to put in new gutters, replace light fixtures, electrical outlets (they're yellow and old), clean everything, and fix water spots in the ceiling. The 2 skylights need to be fixed, they're causing leaks in the ceiling. The roof is brand new. The neighborhood is AMAZING.

Poppy, Werewolf Girl, Purp and 2 others like this.

Last edited by danakscully64; 02-16-2016 at 09:12 AM.
#2924 Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Also, the deck wasn't attached properly to the house, so that has to be done soon to avoid more damage to the ceiling in the basement. We got an estimate and it was only $3,700, which isn't bad considering the realtor and inspector thought it could be 5-10k. We're hoping to take out a 20k renovation loan to fix the master bath and deck. My brain is so full of things and we don't even have the house yet

Werewolf Girl, Purp and LedBoots like this.
#2925 Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Last of the photos, for now.

Master Bath. BLUE! The toilet is blue too. This room needs to be gutted completely.

Basement living room wall is a huge bookshelf:

Purp and LedBoots like this.
#2926 Old 02-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Ankle Biter

Wow - in time you're going to do wonders with that house, DKS, and you'll be so proud!
Purp likes this.

#2927 Old 02-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you I can't wait. I want to go over there now and start cleaning and painting. I bet we'll be getting A LOT of stuff from the carpets. I can't wait to use my shampooer. I'm a nerd for cleaning.

Purp likes this.
#2928 Old 02-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, that is in an amazing house! Congratulations, it's huge! I love your renovation plans too, I can't wait to see what you do with it keep us updated! Also you should keep that bookcase, I'd kill to have one that big
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2929 Old 02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Wow! That's fabulous! I'd be happy just getting out the carpet! Nice kitchen.
Gorgeous deck!
Purp likes this.
#2930 Old 02-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I am pooped! I had a busy day. Why are weekends not relaxing when you're a student and/or buying a house?
Do be careful about contractors- get one you know is reliable.

EDITED TO ADD: Nice house! But WAY too big for me, personally- unless I get married and start living like that captain in "The Sound Of Music" with 7 kids.

Quote:
I've felt awfully spacey lately too.

I take vitamin D in the cold months. During the warmer months I usually spend about 20-30 minutes laying in the sun in my shorts- half the time on my stomach, half on my back- at least once a week. I spend some time outdoors in addition to that also. But a few years ago we had a really cloudy summer and that winter my D levels were low, and I had to take a prescription-strength supplement. That did the job though.
Purp likes this.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#2931 Old 02-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:

Entry:

Backyard:

Quote:
I want to turn this:

Into this:

We eventually want to paint the cabinets white. The cabinets are solid, excellent quality. We have to buy a new fridge immediately, the one in there is really gross. In the future, we want to get new countertops. Shortly after moving in, we're going to take down all wallpaper, remove popcorn ceilings, and paint. We're taking on a BIG project, but I know if we ever want to sell that we'll have a lot of equity. We need to put in new gutters, replace light fixtures, electrical outlets (they're yellow and old), clean everything, and fix water spots in the ceiling. The 2 skylights need to be fixed, they're causing leaks in the ceiling. The roof is brand new. The neighborhood is AMAZING.
Quote:
Last of the photos, for now.

Master Bath. BLUE! The toilet is blue too. This room needs to be gutted completely.

Basement living room wall is a huge bookshelf:

Awesome possum!! Love the house, love the bookshelf (I agree, keep it) I hope it's haunted (Every old house should have a ghost).

#2932 Old 02-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Wow, that is in an amazing house! Congratulations, it's huge! I love your renovation plans too, I can't wait to see what you do with it keep us updated! Also you should keep that bookcase, I'd kill to have one that big
Thank you That bookcase is definitely here to stay. My husband LOVES it too. It will need to be painted once their books are gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Wow! That's fabulous! I'd be happy just getting out the carpet! Nice kitchen.
Gorgeous deck!
Thank you! Flooring is definitely on the list. You mean, you don't like red carpet? It's really good quality carpet, but the color is terrible. My husband can't wait for summer so he can sit out on the porch everyday and do research. The deck is definitely his favorite part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Do be careful about contractors- get one you know is reliable.

EDITED TO ADD: Nice house! But WAY too big for me, personally- unless I get married and start living like that captain in "The Sound Of Music" with 7 kids.

I've felt awfully spacey lately too.

I take vitamin D in the cold months. During the warmer months I usually spend about 20-30 minutes laying in the sun in my shorts- half the time on my stomach, half on my back- at least once a week. I spend some time outdoors in addition to that also. But a few years ago we had a really cloudy summer and that winter my D levels were low, and I had to take a prescription-strength supplement. That did the job though.
My realtor gave us a few references. Only people she trusts, people she uses on her own homes. There's one in particular we like and met, but he might be too busy during the time frame we need him.

I know, it's huge! About 2,500 sq ft. It's definitely more space than we need, but we can grow into it... with LOTS of cats

At my last apartment, I tried to get some sun in the pool area when doing laundry. I don't like being outside, the sun scares me I got sunburned on my wedding day when I was barely in the sun at all.

Quote:
Awesome possum!! Love the house, love the bookshelf (I agree, keep it) I hope it's haunted (Every old house should have a ghost).
Thanks I don't think it's haunted, it's not that old. Built in '69 and I'm pretty sure the owners are the original owners. I asked, and they aren't selling it because someone died. It looked like it with the vintage stuff lying around.

Werewolf Girl, Purp and LedBoots like this.
#2933 Old 02-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Great house!! Our first place was a major fixer upper, and it was fun to do.

I even kind of like the blue in that bathroom, it could be hipster chic with the right paint, cabinets, mirtors etc.
Poppy and Purp like this.
#2934 Old 02-18-2016, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Great house!! Our first place was a major fixer upper, and it was fun to do.

I even kind of like the blue in that bathroom, it could be hipster chic with the right paint, cabinets, mirtors etc.
We thought about keeping some element of the bathroom, but the tub is gross (and has no shower), the toilet is original and has had a lot of butts on it , the tile on the wall is odd (white with blue flecks), the wallpaper is hideous, and the vanity top is damaged. I love retro, but I don't think it will work in this case. I did consider it, especially because of the costs.

I'm going to try my hand at laying down peel and stick vinyl. The entry and kitchen are really, really ugly on the floor. I think fake hardwood will brighten it up. I think vinyl is what we have in our kitchen now at the apartment and I thought it was laminate. It looks REALLY good. I would love real hardwood, but I don't think that's in the cards anytime soon. We're going to have to take out a personal loan for the renovations and the interest rate looks ugly

LedBoots likes this.
#2935 Old 02-18-2016, 06:20 AM
Ankle Biter

Fresh paint (and wall paper removal!) and a few new fixtures will go a long way to update that house! You're going to have so much fun. If I were to offer any advise, it would be don't be in a huge hurry - take your time, choose your renovations carefully, and make your budget your priority. You'll be in that house a long time.

And @Purp - no, not every older home needs a ghost. *shivers*

#2936 Old 02-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Fresh paint (and wall paper removal!) and a few new fixtures will go a long way to update that house! You're going to have so much fun. If I were to offer any advise, it would be don't be in a huge hurry - take your time, choose your renovations carefully, and make your budget your priority. You'll be in that house a long time.

Why not? Did you have an experience in a haunted house?

#2937 Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I think so too! I'm excited. I can't wait, I want to get in there now!

I don't believe in ghosts, so we're good.

#2938 Old 02-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Why not? Did you have an experience in a haunted house?
Yes and no. We live in an old home, but not so old as I would have thought it to have ghosts (1927). Except for one day...

This past December, DH and I went to pick up his car from getting new tires. On the way to Merchant's Auto, I realized that we had neglected to turn off the lights on the Christmas tree. So after dropping DH at the tire store, I went back home, turned off the Christmas tree lights and continued on to the grocery store. When I got home from the grocery store, I carried the groceries into the house through the back door and when I finally worked my way back up to the living room, the Christmas tree lights were back on!!! I knew I had just made an extra trip to turn them off and now they were absolutely as on as on could be, and I was pretty sure the dogs (smart as they are) couldn't manage to turn on the Christmas tree!

I was pretty freaked. I texted my husband to see if he had stopped at the house - no, checked the front door to see if the mailman had come in and turned on the tree (highly unlikely), I was completely mystified and considered for a very brief moment that maybe it was The Ghost of Christmas Present.

Turns out the extension cord DH had used for the lights had a timer contraption on it, and somehow it had been turned on.
danakscully64, Purp and LedBoots like this.

#2939 Old 02-29-2016, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, @Werewolf Girl . Tonight's dessert in our house was all your fault, sort of. I made a zucchini noodle lasagne, homemade bread, black rice with veggies, and these truffles.However, I didn't completely follow Chef Chloe's recipe (don't tell her!! She'll kill me)! I sort of followed this recipe using this butterscotch sauce recipe , except that I used lemon extract instead of vanilla in the butterscotch sauce, and almond extract in the cookie dough. Ooops...

#2940 Old 03-03-2016, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Oh, @Werewolf Girl . Tonight's dessert in our house was all your fault, sort of. I made a zucchini noodle lasagne, homemade bread, black rice with veggies, and these truffles.However, I didn't completely follow Chef Chloe's recipe (don't tell her!! She'll kill me)! I sort of followed this recipe using this butterscotch sauce recipe , except that I used lemon extract instead of vanilla in the butterscotch sauce, and almond extract in the cookie dough. Ooops...
OMG that sounds like an incredible update! I want to try that too now, it's been awhile since I last made those truffles.
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page