Yak For Power I: The New And Improved VB Chat Thread - Page 32 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1194Likes

#931 Old 07-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Update: So here's what is going on. I'm moving out of my apartment and into my cousin's Dad's house. I'll be renting a room for $300 a month (1/5th the price of what I'm paying now) so I can catch up on bills (mostly Sweet Pea's vet stuff) and I can go back to school. I'll be closer to work AND school. I only need 3 classes to transfer to a University, so I'm really close. I hope I can get them all done in 1 semester so I can just work hard to save up. I still want to go to San Diego, but I might end up going to California State Fullerton in Orange County or Cal Poly Pomona. I'm either going to study Criminal Justice, Sociology, or Criminology. Things are looking up!

The only con to moving is I can't bring my caged animals with me, so my neighbor is going to care for them. I'm nervous, I've never lived without them. I trust her completely, but I'm going to miss their crazy antics everyday. I'm going to slowly try to get my chinchillas and rats moved in with me, but that will take some convincing. I'll still visit, but since it will be so far out of the way, it won't be very often.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#932 Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Update: So here's what is going on. I'm moving out of my apartment and into my cousin's Dad's house. I'll be renting a room for $300 a month (1/5th the price of what I'm paying now) so I can catch up on bills (mostly Sweet Pea's vet stuff) and I can go back to school. I'll be closer to work AND school. I only need 3 classes to transfer to a University, so I'm really close. I hope I can get them all done in 1 semester so I can just work hard to save up. I still want to go to San Diego, but I might end up going to California State Fullerton in Orange County or Cal Poly Pomona. I'm either going to study Criminal Justice, Sociology, or Criminology. Things are looking up!

The only con to moving is I can't bring my caged animals with me, so my neighbor is going to care for them. I'm nervous, I've never lived without them. I trust her completely, but I'm going to miss their crazy antics everyday. I'm going to slowly try to get my chinchillas and rats moved in with me, but that will take some convincing. I'll still visit, but since it will be so far out of the way, it won't be very often.

Sociology is a fascinating field and I did my undergraduate concentration in that field. (i'm actually considering doing my PhD in sociology or political science). Criminal justice is a good field and it's a good mixture of sociology, law, and psychology.

As for the animals, that's rough. I've never been away from my pets for any real length of time. I would spend as much time with them now as possible and then just get back to see them as often as possible.

Aristede

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#933 Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

You can do it.

I am sick of school right now. I am doing my DTR and just overwhelmed. My GPA just dropped, but it will go back up. I am at a 3.49 because so far this semester I have two Bs and one A. One class left. I am working hard, but am scared that there will be no pay off. 

Werewolf Girl likes this.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#934 Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

You can do it.

I am sick of school right now. I am doing my DTR and just overwhelmed. My GPA just dropped, but it will go back up. I am at a 3.49 because so far this semester I have two Bs and one A. One class left. I am working hard, but am scared that there will be no pay off. 

Keep up the hard work! It's often hard to tell where our degrees, certificates, or training will take us, but don't let that discourage. Perhaps as you are finishing up, start looking into possible options in your field of interest and begin networking if you haven't already. Things don't always pay off immediately, but you have to look in the long term too.

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#935 Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

This couldn't have been a better time to find this:

#936 Old 07-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

Sociology is a fascinating field and I did my undergraduate concentration in that field. (i'm actually considering doing my PhD in sociology or political science). Criminal justice is a good field and it's a good mixture of sociology, law, and psychology.

As for the animals, that's rough. I've never been away from my pets for any real length of time. I would spend as much time with them now as possible and then just get back to see them as often as possible.

Aristede

I took 3 Sociology classes in community college and I loved them all, 3 A's. What's great about Sociology is I can study it pretty much everywhere. Criminology would force me into 1 local University.

Round trip, I'll be over an hour from my pets. I'm just hoping that I can show my cousin's family how clean I am and how the caged animals won't smell or damage anything. Then I'll just bring them over. I might only stay with their family for 6 months or so. I'm honestly hoping that my boyfriend and I will move in together.

Thanks for the support!

#937 Old 07-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck, Heather! I think you have a sensible plan for the future laid out and I agree they'll probably let you bring your pets eventually. You sound super neat and good at domestic stuff, far neater than I am. tongue3.gif

Also I love Aziz Ansari, he's so funny in Parks and Rec.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#938 Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Good luck, Heather! I think you have a sensible plan for the future laid out and I agree they'll probably let you bring your pets eventually. You sound super neat and good at domestic stuff, far neater than I am. tongue3.gif

Also I love Aziz Ansari, he's so funny in Parks and Rec.

Thanks!

I've never been a big fan of his, but that joke was awesome. And true.

#939 Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

brood.gif I think I may be melting and I'm still tired, it's way too hot to sleep. Cranky day! Grrrr.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#940 Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

You don't run the A/C?

#941 Old 07-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

brood.gif I think I may be melting and I'm still tired, it's way too hot to sleep. Cranky day! Grrrr.

It's been quite warm and humid in Chicago lately. This past winter was quite mild, so many people predicted that this summer would be hot. We've seen record rain levels and more thunderstorms than usual and this heat is getting old real quick.

Quote:

You don't run the A/C?

I was wondering the same thing; I couldn't do without the blessed A/C. I remember the summer after I moved into my apartment I didn't want to get an A/C. But after we starting getting strings of 100+ degree days, I broke down and bought one. My parents have central air-conditioning in their condo and everyone loves it. lol

Aristedebook2.gif

#942 Old 07-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

It's not even that expensive to run my A/C I found. My electric bill is usually around $60-70 during the winter, about $80-90 during the summer. I keep my A/C on 78. Luckily even when it's over 100 outside, my apartment stays pretty cool.

#943 Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

My monthly electric bill usually ranged from $19 - 25 per month and I had a pretty big apartment (~1000 sq ft). During the summer that amount would usually go up to $35-40 when I ran the A/C or about the same during the bitterly cold winter since I was running my space heater. Even still my air conditioner (with a fan to direct the air) were enough to cool off my entire apartment.

Aristedebook2.gif

#944 Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

My monthly electric bill usually ranged from $19 - 25 per month and I had a pretty big apartment (~1000 sq ft). During the summer that amount would usually go up to $35-40 when I ran the A/C or about the same during the bitterly cold winter since I was running my space heater. Even still my air conditioner (with a fan to direct the air) were enough to cool off my entire apartment.

Aristedebook2.gif

My bill includes sewer too. California prices are ridiculous, so I expect to pay an arm and a leg. My parents pay $200-400 a month during the summer. My June-July bill was $51 just for electricity. It includes a $10 reliability charge and a customer charge of $8. My apartment is 850 square feet.

#945 Old 07-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My bill includes sewer too. California prices are ridiculous, so I expect to pay an arm and a leg. My parents pay $200-400 a month during the summer. My June-July bill was $51 just for electricity. It includes a $10 reliability charge and a customer charge of $8. My apartment is 850 square feet.

Reliability charge? That just sounds like an excuse to place an additional tax on the service. sick.gif

Aristedebook2.gif

#946 Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Impeach the gangster

My power bill runs about $35 per month, but that's since I got rid of the old tank-style water heater and went to a gas-fired on-demand WH. The bill used to run $75. Just that one change cut my power bill by over half.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#947 Old 07-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Modern appliances and such are so much more energy-efficient that their predecessors. Less energy usage means lower utility bills and a slight reduction of our ecological footprint. 

Aristedebook2.gif

#948 Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Oh, I just remembered. My stove and dryer are both electric, so that adds to that bill.

#949 Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Hi all! hi.gif

How is everyone's day going so far? I've been stuck inside because it's just too HOT out in the middle of the day, I have to wait for the sun to start to set before I can go out like I'm some kind of mole person.

#950 Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm doing better. Still recovering from a stomach bug or ailment from yesterday. I haven't left out the house today and will probably just hang at home. It's much cooler in Chicago today! It's only 67 F (19 C) so that's much cooler than it has been! Usually we're always receiving that wonderful cool Canadian air, but I guess that's not the case for you. 

Aristedebook2.gif

#951 Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Impeach the gangster

Glad you're feeling better, Will. It's cooler here too.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#952 Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a paper (or two) a day to write till Monday. I don't know if I can do it.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#953 Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm doing better. Still recovering from a stomach bug or ailment from yesterday. I haven't left out the house today and will probably just hang at home. It's much cooler in Chicago today! It's only 67 F (19 C) so that's much cooler than it has been! Usually we're always receiving that wonderful cool Canadian air, but I guess that's not the case for you. 

Aristedebook2.gif

Stomach bugs suck! Glad to hear you're starting to feel better though.

Quote:

I have a paper (or two) a day to write till Monday. I don't know if I can do it.

You can do it! Write, write, write! rockon.gif

#954 Old 07-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:

You're a busy little bee!!

#955 Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Aristedebook2.gif

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/24/cdc-stomach-bug/2584273/

We're gonna die shocked.gif

#956 Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/24/cdc-stomach-bug/2584273/

We're gonna die shocked.gif

A friend on Facebook tagged me in a report on this very subject! I read it and think I'll be okay (you will be too!). My symptoms aren't as bad as they were yesterday. Still, the amount of illness and disease-causing agents in our world is alarming. sick.gif

Aristedebook2.gif

#957 Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, so many bacteria, worms, amoebas and toxin producing substance out there. I just got finished with a food microbiology course. It was gross, but informative.

Aristede and Werewolf Girl like this.

Marilyn Monroe
#958 Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

A friend on Facebook tagged me in a report on this very subject! I read it and think I'll be okay (you will be too!). My symptoms aren't as bad as they were yesterday. Still, the amount of illness and disease-causing agents in our world is alarming. sick.gif

Aristedebook2.gif

I figure that as a whole, we're doing okay in America surviving all of these gross diseases and illnesses. We will live another day. cool3.gif

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#959 Old 07-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Oh, so many bacteria, worms, amoebas and toxin producing substance out there. I just got finished with a food microbiology course. It was gross, but informative.

Eww!

Happy Saturday, everyone! Today is Vegfest Vancouver so after I have some coffee I'm going to go downtown and check it out and watch my good friend play live music! carrot.gif

#960 Old 07-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Happy Saturday, everyone! Today is Vegfest Vancouver so after I have some coffee I'm going to go downtown and check it out and watch my good friend play live music! carrot.gif

Oh, have fun! In September we'll be having Veganmania here in Chicago. I haven't been before, but it sounds quite promising! And next month, they're hosting a vegan bake sale to raise funds to support Veganmania.

Let us know how you enjoyed VegFest, WG! smiley.gif

Aristedebook2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page