Today I'm happy that... - Page 85 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1831Likes

#2521 Old 11-28-2015, 06:23 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I'm going to my first vegan meetup today. I haven't had a social life in a very long time.
Have fun!!!
David3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2522 Old 11-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Vegan since 1991

My wife will soon return from visiting part of her family in China. Not that I don't enjoy spending my evenings on VeggieBoards . . .

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#2523 Old 11-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriannB View Post
...I wrote a much needed artice on my blog and really lifted my spirits.

http://venusvegan.wordpress.com
Your new natural hair style looks nice
LedBoots likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2524 Old 11-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
.... that Ash vs. Evil Dead is on tonight!! Yeeeaaaah, baby!! LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#2525 Old 11-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by unovegan2 View Post
i'm not. a nasty respiratory thing that won't let go. at least i can work and do things.
This soup should help.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2526 Old 11-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
This soup should help.
Thank you Super Moderator
Purp and LedBoots like this.

Dog, guts and guns..
#2527 Old 11-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Have fun!!!
Thanks! I had a great time! We went for a hike and then ate at a local restaurant. It was just five of us at this event, but it was nice to have a small intimate group and get to know each other. and it was so refreshing to get to talk to other vegans and just totally be myself! We were a diverse small group, with ages ranging from 20s to 60s. And I laughed and had fun! Can't wait for our next meeting! We're going to share our cookbooks and maybe have a potluck. It will be great to have a group to cook for.
Purp, LedBoots, David3 and 1 others like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2528 Old 11-28-2015, 02:50 PM

Today I'm happy I've made it over a year meatless - I'm happy and despite I shouldn't say it a bit proud - It hasn't been tough but it also has been a bit rough around the edges for me considering I'm the only one I know who has chosen this route.

My family doesn't eat unhealthy, but when I see them get raw meat it disgusts me, but I cannot blame others for their choices or I'd be asking for it in all reality.
Werewolf Girl, silva, Purp and 3 others like this.
#2529 Old 11-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyoriginal View Post
Today I'm happy I've made it over a year meatless - I'm happy and despite I shouldn't say it a bit proud - It hasn't been tough but it also has been a bit rough around the edges for me considering I'm the only one I know who has chosen this route.

My family doesn't eat unhealthy, but when I see them get raw meat it disgusts me, but I cannot blame others for their choices or I'd be asking for it in all reality.
Congratulations!!! It gets easier and easier the longer you go, it's like second nature for me now.

Dealing with people questioning your choices is often the hardest part but even that gets easier because you learn what to say in response to questions etc.
Purp, LedBoots and highlyoriginal like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2530 Old 11-28-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Congratulations!!! It gets easier and easier the longer you go, it's like second nature for me now.

Dealing with people questioning your choices is often the hardest part but even that gets easier because you learn what to say in response to questions etc.
I am trying to extend my vocabulary in this genre - I am no where near able to quote anyone, or any books, only myself. I know when I go to the store what I'm buying, and I enjoy that. Before it was hard to shop, now I know exactly what I need and I think that was a big turn around for me.

Kudos
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#2531 Old 12-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

... that my first ever batch of fried couscous balls turned out STUUUUUPENDOUS!!!!
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.

~ MadamSarcastra
#2532 Old 12-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I work as a medical coder and one of my primary duties is coding chemotherapy and nonchemo infusion charges. I code for several different sites in our system where infusions are done. Every month the chemo pharmacy staff audits my charges/coding and at month end they send me an email with any errors or concerns etc. This last month, for the first time since I started coding professionally 14 months ago, I had ZERO errors for all my Duluth site infusion charges/coding for a whole month! Woot woot!!! I code about 250 infusion charges per day so this is a very big deal. It really gave me a boost of self confidence which has been sorely lacking lately.
Tom, silva, Purp and 2 others like this.

#2533 Old 12-01-2015, 09:37 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Quote:
I work as a medical coder and one of my primary duties is coding chemotherapy and nonchemo infusion charges. I code for several different sites in our system where infusions are done. Every month the chemo pharmacy staff audits my charges/coding and at month end they send me an email with any errors or concerns etc. This last month, for the first time since I started coding professionally 14 months ago, I had ZERO errors for all my Duluth site infusion charges/coding for a whole month! Woot woot!!! I code about 250 infusion charges per day so this is a very big deal. It really gave me a boost of self confidence which has been sorely lacking lately.
That's fantastic, NB!! Yes! Be proud!! You damn well should be! Now I feel like a real f*ckhole about my stupid couscous balls. **sigh** Me & my silly, crunchy balls, I tells ya.... LMAO
Purp likes this.

~ MadamSarcastra
#2534 Old 12-02-2015, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
That's fantastic, NB!! Yes! Be proud!! You damn well should be! Now I feel like a real f*ckhole about my stupid couscous balls. **sigh** Me & my silly, crunchy balls, I tells ya.... LMAO
Actually, I'd love it if you shared your recipe.
Purp likes this.

#2535 Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Quote:
Actually, I'd love it if you shared your recipe.
You sure? It's not vegan.... has egg & cheese. If you know of good substitutes for both, give it a whirl!

And I rarely use recipes.... Sometimes I'll check a few, decide which methods for this & that would best for me, and just wing it from there. But this is what I posted as my 2nd to latest Member Gallery pic caption:

Quote:
Prepping my balls.... Cooked couscous (precooked with sauteed garlic, onion, red bell pepper, baby spinach, & grated carrot).... once cooled, I stirred in one egg & four types of organic veggie-friendly cheese -- meaning only with vegetarian or microbial enzymes.... chilled overnight, rolled into balls, ready to dredge in flour, egg, Panko, then hit the deep fryer at 350*
The "dough" should be very dense & sticky (like an ex-boyfriend of mine, wakka-wakka. ).... should not crumble. The dredging process is pretty gross.... and I thought for sure these things would fall apart in the oil, but nope! Oh, and one of the cheeses was cream cheese, so if you know of a vegan substitute, use lots.... might all hold together just with that. LOL **shrug**
Purp likes this.

~ MadamSarcastra

Last edited by MadamSarcastra; 12-02-2015 at 12:59 PM.
#2536 Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
You sure? It's not vegan.... has egg & cheese. If you know of good substitutes for both, give it a whirl!

And I rarely use recipes.... Sometimes I'll check a few, decide which methods for this & that would best for me, and just wing it from there. But this is what I posted as my 2nd to latest Member Gallery pic caption:

The "dough" should be very dense & sticky (like an ex-boyfriend of mine, wakka-wakka. ).... should not crumble. The dredging process is pretty gross.... and I thought for sure these things would fall apart in the oil, but nope! Oh, and one of the cheeses was cream cheese, so if you know of a vegan substitute, use lots.... might all hold together just with that. LOL **shrug**
Thanks. Now, for pure evil to come from my kitchen again.
Tom and MadamSarcastra like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2537 Old 12-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
that is absolutely amazing
#2538 Old 12-02-2015, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Prepping my balls.... Cooked couscous (precooked with sauteed garlic, onion, red bell pepper, baby spinach, & grated carrot).... once cooled, I stirred in one egg & four types of organic veggie-friendly cheese -- meaning only with vegetarian or microbial enzymes.... chilled overnight, rolled into balls, ready to dredge in flour, egg, Panko, then hit the deep fryer at 350*

Why am reading that like poetry?

That sounds delicious! I'm sure a starch used for egg, and vegan cheese (which I have loads of right now ) would be perfect!
Makes me remember arancini - like that but with rice- an Italian kind of thing i think.

Just noticed the cream cheese. Silken tofu would work good for that and help with the starch
MadamSarcastra likes this.
#2539 Old 12-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Quote:

Why am reading that like poetry?

That sounds delicious! I'm sure a starch used for egg, and vegan cheese (which I have loads of right now ) would be perfect!
Makes me remember arancini - like that but with rice- an Italian kind of thing i think.

Just noticed the cream cheese. Silken tofu would work good for that and help with the starch
Wellll, I do have a way with words from time to time.... I'll give it a shot at the next poetry slam. LMFAO J/K

Yeah, it's just a different take on, say, fried risotto balls.... Not sure I'd go with even more starch when you've already got couscous.... the egg's just a binder, so get creative & get crackin' (so to speak. LOL)

~ MadamSarcastra

Last edited by MadamSarcastra; 12-02-2015 at 02:37 PM.
#2540 Old 12-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Impeach the gangster

Today, I'm happy that, after being vegan for 20-years, I just met the 1st ever other vegan, in real life, I've ever known. Right here in our itty bitty town.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#2541 Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Today, I'm happy that, after being vegan for 20-years, I just met the 1st ever other vegan, in real life, I've ever known. Right here in our itty bitty town.
Just curious, how did you come to meet this person? (note if it is none of my business don't answer lol).
Purp likes this.

#2542 Old 12-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Wellll, I do have a way with words from time to time.... I'll give it a shot at the next poetry slam. LMFAO J/K

Yeah, it's just a different take on, say, fried risotto balls.... Not sure I'd go with even more starch when you've already got couscous.... the egg's just a binder, so get creative & get crackin' (so to speak. LOL)
Your recipe sounds interesting, but a little rich for me even if I substituted vegan ingredients. I'm not a huge fan of any kind of cheese, including vegan, but I could see making a cashew or almond cream and adding something like that. Or the tofu idea too. I could even add in some white bean mash, but that might make it a bit too heavy. I would probably bake it too, not deep fry. Definitely a recipe I will play around with in my head for a while. Thanks so much for sharing!
Purp likes this.

#2543 Old 12-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Just curious, how did you come to meet this person? (note if it is none of my business don't answer lol).
She works as a clerk at the local convenience store. I stopped in, wearing my 'vegan' shirt, and she asked about it. I guess it pays to advertise....

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#2544 Old 12-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
She works as a clerk at the local convenience store. I stopped in, wearing my 'vegan' shirt, and she asked about it. I guess it pays to advertise....
Oh, it's a "she", Capstan, ever more intruiging...
Purp, Naturebound and no whey jose like this.
#2545 Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 PM

Today I'm happy that I'm improving (I'm in the hospital) fairly quickly.
I'm happy the hospital has a vegetarian menu, and that the cook knows me from last time I was here.
I'm happy that my health for the most part seems to be good - I asked them to specifically check my cholesterol since they were doing blood tests, and it's astoundingly good! I mean my lifestyle changes in my eating habits have really shown - I have a father whose family history is riddled with heart disease, but none for me, and a mother whose family has all had issues (most of her siblings specifically) with diabetes and I have had no issues with that either.

I'm also happy to be well nourished and provided for
silva, Purp, LedBoots and 4 others like this.
#2546 Old 12-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Quote:
Your recipe sounds interesting, but a little rich for me even if I substituted vegan ingredients. I'm not a huge fan of any kind of cheese, including vegan, but I could see making a cashew or almond cream and adding something like that. Or the tofu idea too. I could even add in some white bean mash, but that might make it a bit too heavy. I would probably bake it too, not deep fry. Definitely a recipe I will play around with in my head for a while. Thanks so much for sharing!
**shrug** Hey, you asked, I answered. LOL
Purp and Naturebound like this.

~ MadamSarcastra
#2547 Old 12-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyoriginal View Post
Today I'm happy that I'm improving (I'm in the hospital) fairly quickly.
I'm happy the hospital has a vegetarian menu, and that the cook knows me from last time I was here.
I'm happy that my health for the most part seems to be good - I asked them to specifically check my cholesterol since they were doing blood tests, and it's astoundingly good! I mean my lifestyle changes in my eating habits have really shown - I have a father whose family history is riddled with heart disease, but none for me, and a mother whose family has all had issues (most of her siblings specifically) with diabetes and I have had no issues with that either.

I'm also happy to be well nourished and provided for
That's good. I hope you're out of the hospital soon.

#2548 Old 12-03-2015, 10:16 PM

i feel healthy energetic and happy to have cooked for my family
Purp, Naturebound and Blue Gingham like this.
#2549 Old 12-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Beginner

Today i'm happy that a free pottery wheel i scored actually works...
Purp and MadamSarcastra like this.

Dog, guts and guns..
#2550 Old 12-06-2015, 11:27 AM

Today I'm happy that I'll be finishing the x-mas lights (I really went all out this year and I really enjoyed doing it - just have a little bit left to do).
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page