I LOVE MEAT but i love animals(and im really picky about my food) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 PM

Hellow to all you vegies. Ive been wanting to become vegitarian for a long time but every time i try i cant find anything to eat. My whole family basically eats meat every meal.. Right now im really freakin hungry i havent ate meat in 4 days. Ive been eating homemade cheese pizza and home made bean burritos. I like simple foods with low amounts of sauces and ingrediants. I HATE RANCH! I almost hate every kind of salad dressing.... I like simple foods like grapes, carrots(somtimes),bananas, apples, celery with peanut butter. Basically what i am asking for are some basic vegitarian foods that dont have to many ingrediants. I could care less about any kind of food that requires substituting other things to make it the same because id just rather be without it. Please help, dont let me go back to jackinthebox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2009, 06:11 PM

anyone
#3 Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you on a journey toward vegetarianism? Do you mind cooking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

You... Thats... Are you serious?

Things are going to get complicated, especially if plan to go Vegan eventually (after watching Meet your Meat, you might want to), you have to throw out this concept of slapping together a piggy sandwich and take in that your food just got SO much more exciting. You have so many more possibilities to choose from now, it's not even funny. I didn't get interested in food until I became a vegan, and starting *choosing* things I would have other wise dismissed in my meat eating days.

What you need to do, is pop yourself over to http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php Ignore the Meat and Poultry section, and learn. Learning and knowledge is your greatest asset to a compassionate and healthy life. (I also recommend the 'Organic Food Shoppers guide' even if you don't plan on going organic, it has some AWESOME information).

The simpilist vegetarian/vegan meals are Raw! Try to your raw foods out, Honeyed carrots are one of my favorite deserts, I'll add rice to almost anything (I cant get enough rice). Really, just experiment. Throw your cook books out, buy a pile of veggies and fruits, a handful of herbs or sauces or what ever, and mix and match!

Really, your life just got so much more fun you have no idea. Any questions feel free to message or what ever.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 06-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420andVegies View Post

anyone

Please allow more than 20 minutes for a response before bumping your thread.

You may want to check out this book...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...SIN=076790690X

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#6 Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, it sounds like you just like to eat raw fruits and veggies. That's great. Add some nuts in, make a salad - chop up whatever veggies you've got, throw some canned beans and raisins on top and voila! Meal.

For more hearty meals, you can make soups, chili, that sort of thing pretty easily if you have/buy a crockpot. You do have to put a few ingredients together, but you toss 'em in the crockpot (slowcooker) and they take care of themselves. You can do it in the morning and it'll be ready when you get home at night.

Also sandwiches or stir fry could work out.
#7 Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Pasta is your friend.
#8 Old 06-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Welcome!

I enjoyed eating meat and fish too. But I was not a picky eater- I really liked almost all foods, so dropping meat (and then fish a few years later) wasnt such a jolt for me. A lot of folks here are vegan and someone mentioned veganism in this thread, but if dropping meat is a jolt, you might want to keep milk and eggs (at least for now).

The foods you mentioned you like are all good, but you might want more variety to keep from getting bored down the line, and to make sure youre getting enough nutrients. Maybe once every two weeks, you could try a new fruit or vegetable youve read or heard about that you think you might like, or heard has health benefits. I dont eat all my food raw, but my meals are usually simple. Thats one good thing about Veggieboards recipe section: the recipes often dont take a lot of fussing in the kitchen! You can also get an idea of how tasty they are by the comments people post.

Last night I steamed two artichokes; I think Ive had them before, but not in years. Artichokes are the lobster of vegetarian cooking- rather tasty, but kind of overpriced and a bother to eat. I ate one and brought the other to work for lunch today.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you like corn on the cobb? Watermelon? There's are a couple of my favs that obviously are very simple. There's a very good vegan margarine called Earth Balance that goes great on corn.

When you say you don't like too many ingredients, do you mean you would rather not chop up too many vegetables? I have some great stir fry and crock pot recipes such as Mexican and chili, but they do require chopping some stuff up. They're not hard to make otherwise. For quelling meat cravings there are veggie burgers, of course. They're very easy to prepare, especially if you have something like a George Foreman grill. Boca and Morningstar Farms make some good ones.
#10 Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to live with a carnivourous family and what I would do is get veggie versions of what they'd have (sandwich 'meat' veggie patties etc etc) That way I could replace the 'main component' of the meal.
#11 Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 AM

I think one of the best things you could do is also try more new ingredients and new flavours- I think "picky eating" is just something you actually get out of if you want to, as long as you're open about trying new foods (apparantly if you eat something you dislike often enough you will end up liking it, too).

Eating a very limited variety of foods isn't healthy anyway, adding meat back it will just make it even more unhealthy.

You mentioned you like bean burritos- maybe try something like bean chilli, served with brown rice, which is similar and easy to make but may be able to contain a wider variety of veg.

Soups are also simple and easy to make so are a good place to start with experiments with new flavours and ingredients.

After trying some basic recipes you may find that you actually enjoy cooking and can then start delving further into the world of vegetarian food.

If you're hungry all the time, it might be that you're not eating enough calories- sometimes veg*n food is lower in calories per unit volume than omni foods, so if you're eating the same volume of food you may be getting less calories which is making you hungrier, so try eating more snacks (especially things such as nuts) and using healthy oils in cooking.
#12 Old 06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Banned

i'd go have a wander around a grocery store and see what you can see. plain rice, canned beans, spaghetti, fruits, veggies... there are many things there without huge ingredients lists.
#13 Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 AM

Learn not to be so picky, I know that probably sounds hard... But just try to eat different foods and things you don't think you like with an open mind. Don't go in with the attitude that it's going to be awful. Also, I'm sure your family could make side dishes and stuff for you to eat. Just let them know it's something you're passionate about and really want to do.
#14 Old 06-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Beginner

you can just buy fake meat and replace meat in dishes with it. you can find it at any health food store. while you're transiting to vegetarianism i suggest meat substitutes. after the transition try to incorporate more beans and legumes into your diet.
#15 Old 07-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Meat substitutes almost always taste exactly like the real thing. So if you were craving a burger just make a soy burger. you can get them frozen and they take less time to make than a normal burger.
#16 Old 07-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, so you've decided you're interested in becoming a vegetarian...Congratulations!

No need to rush or freak out, and certainly no need to go hungry while you are figuring out what foods you can eat. Take some time to poke around VB, and you'll find tons of information of all types of yummy vegetarian food. Also, you might want to make your own list. What types of food does your family typically eat? What do you like to eat? What alterations can you make to your family's food that make it vegetarian?

You don't need to make the change in an instant! Especially not if veganism is your goal. It can take a while, and still being a minor in a family situation makes it all the more complicated. Calm down, and good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page