quick and easy meals? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 PM

sorry if something like this has been asked before, but i'm the only vegetarian in my house, and the rest of my family eats meat almost every night. therefore, a separate dinner has to be made for me. my dinner is usually kind of last minute and basic, and i'm kind of getting sick of having to eat the same things most of the time. i was wondering is anyone has some quick and easy recipes for dinner specifically, but anything would be helpful and greatly appreciated. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Rice and beans is a great easy and quick meal. Pasta with tomato sauce is good too. Salads! I love salads. Try new kinds of lettuces and things to put into your salads.

If you haven't already try picking up a veg. cook book. There are lots of them that are geared toward quick meals.
#3 Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if you're helping at all with the cooking and planning of dinners or not. But if you are, maybe plan it so that you don't have to eat a totally different meal than your family. I usually make my vegetarian meal and then my husband either makes meat to add to it, or he eats my meal as a side dish. I think we would drive ourselves crazy if we were making totally separate meals every night. And I second the idea of picking up a veggie cookbook. There are many great ones out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 AM

I make Japanese curry when which is SO easy and pretty quick to be honest.

Simmer a chopped carrot, onion, Japanese turnip, or whatever veges you really like or have in.. I just usually use whatever I find at the farmers market. Stir in a curry pack. It takes about fifteen minutes and is delicious. My steak obsessed hubby even loves it.

this is the curry mix I use...

You can do that with other curries too.. You can make a big batch and put it in the fridge for a few days or freezer bring out whatever you need for that day and zap it.. your own ready meals kind of thing.

how about pasta with pesto? vege stir-fry.. all quick meals.

Good luck!
#5 Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I went vegetarian at 15 in a house full of omnis. The compromise my family made was that if meat was being served, everything else was vegetarian. So if they had chicken cutlets, for example, the veggies and starches would be veg and I'd just eat those. If they were having something like stir fry or spaghetti and meatballs, my portion would be taken out first, then they'd add in the meat. Also, I'd cook a vegetarian dinner everyone would eat a few nights a week, and we had a lot of vegetarian meals in the rotation anyway so it'd be easy when we'd hit upon vegetable pasta night, or lasagna night, or tofu stir fry night (yes, my omni family has made tofu my entire life).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

*Thinks about what I have eaten for dinner in the last week*

(lowdown: I'm a veggie, mum's a pescatarian, so is my boyfriend and dad eats meat. In our house we've been cooking 3 different meals since about 1992!)

Macaroni and cheese (parents were having fish pie, so dad made double the white sauce)

Thai red curry (Quorn with curry paste, coconut milk and rice noodles)

Pizza (own ingredients on pre-made base)

Indianish curry (this was a whole family meal)

Pasta with pesto, sundried tomatoes and vegan meatballs

Stuff like zis. I'm not big on salads. As others have mentioned, tweaking meals to fit around your folks will help. Like with the mac n cheese, half of that was already being made and the oven was on.

The curry is a weekly family thing after my shift on a saturady. Dad has organic beef or prawns, mum has prawns and me and Leo have Quorn 'chicken' or tofu, but we have same sauce and sides, just separated out to prevent meat and veggie stuff being put together.

There are plenty of things that can be converted from meaty to veggie, like the curry above, or chilli with rice and tortillas....just separate the portions and add fake meat/beans/veggies to the basic tomato sauce.

Also (god this is now long....) if you can cook, cook something vegetarian for your whole family. If its delicious, it may encourage them to cut down on their meat-based meals each week and a. reduces the amount of meat eaten (healthier, kinder etc etc) and b. makes you not feel so much of a food outsider.

My Dad now only eats meat/fish about twice/three times a week, like how they did in the old days, because he's seen how good vegetarian food can be.
#7 Old 06-22-2009, 08:52 PM

I cook a separate meal for myself, as well. Eating dinner with my family, though, there are always vegetable sides prepared to go along with whatever main meat is on the menu so I don't always have to do all the work.

I've found that the freezer is your best friend in a pinch.

I don't recommend always just grabbing something out of the icebox but if you're looking for quick and easy, there's nothing easier then taking out a tofu/veggie burger and throwing it on the skillet.

Soup is also good to stock up on, as well as beans.

Chickpeas, for example, just need a little oil and pepper and some tossing.

Voila! Streamlined chickpea salad.

Usually, I have my mind made up by lunchtime about what I'm going to eat for dinner. If I'm trying something new, or just know what I want the day before, I'll do the prep then at night to make life easier come the next day.

You'll get the hang of it, eventually.

Great suggestions, everybody.
#8 Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

You could make burritos, veggie burgers, or steamed vegetable with fried tofu. Those are all really good. You could try making your own food. Hopefull you'll discover dinner options that work out great for you.
#9 Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Fajitas and stir fry's are my favorite quick meals. Just throw whatever veggies you have around into a tortilla, or over rice.
#10 Old 06-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

you can make quick sandwiches to eat and fruit salad or pasta is also an alternative

or you can try and cook vegetables like carrot , mushrooms that are easy to cook.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Erythema Erythrophobia Social phobia
#11 Old 06-28-2009, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm very experimental when it comes to making my dinner. I just pull various vegetarian things out of the cupboard/fridge/freezer and put them together.

#12 Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Fried rice is a quick, easy meal that can be quite healthy, too.

I use wholegrain rice (is that the right word?), loads of veggies like squash, bell pepper, springonions, broccoli, mushrooms etc. And some kind of bean. Cook the rice, stirfry the veggies and beans and combine in the skillet when rice is cooked. Season with whatever you like.

This is good as is, but can also be put into a pitapocket, tortilla, in a lettuceleaf etc.

I also find that when cooking for both veg*ns and omnis, meals that is served in lots of small bowls work well. Think tortillas you fill yourself, pitapockets etc. Meals where all the ingredients is served in bowls at the table, and each person can choose what to put in their pita/tortilla etc.
#13 Old 06-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Theres usually potatoes or ride + veggies which I have then I just make something else like a veggie burger...or if they have a lasagne or something ill just have pasta + tomatoes or fried rice :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page