Finding it really hard to maintain my veggie diet - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-17-2009, 04:17 PM

Hey folks, glad to have found this site. I am a newbie here (on the site as well as to vegetarianism). I have been a vegetarian for 4 months now...and I am finding it really hard to maintain a meat-free diet. My main problem is that I am constantly on the move due to my job and end up eating junk food at airports..the only veg options I have found to work are Subway and Burger King (veggie burger) but lately I am finding it to be increasingly difficult to maintain a veg. diet (i'm not a vegan BTW..I eat eggs and drink milk etc). There aren't many places here (I'm in Australia) where one can get a vegetarian meal..its just meat everywhere. So, many times I have considered getting back to eating meat..but then I restrain myself and grab a salad or a veggie sub.

So..how did you guys manage to contain your meat-cravings (especially people who became vegetarians who used to eat meat)?

Sorry if a similar topic has been posted here..just wanted to get some advice and say hi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-17-2009, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Where abouts in Australia do you live? I go there very often, and have spent much time travelling all around that country, and I have no great difficulties in finding food. I do not eat Burger King type food, either.

Please don't go back to eating meat. You just need tips, help and support, I hope you can find that here.
#3 Old 06-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Beginner

I've never been to Australia, but I agree that it can be quite difficult to find quick meals that are veggie when traveling. However, I've never had a problem when I'm able to go in and sit down for a meal. I imagine you might find the same thing is true where you live. Perhaps taking a bit more time for meals might help you to find better options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Learning to carry portable, long lasting food, also, becomes second nature. You may have to carry snacks in your pack, but it's worth it!
#5 Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you like ethnic foods at all? As far as I know (but I could be wrong!) Australia has a large Indian population. Try looking for Indian restaurants. Japanese restaurants also usually offer vegetarian foods.
#6 Old 06-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Take a lunch box with you every day.

I'm in South Africa, and am a rep, so have the same kind of issues with available fast food.

I either live on Toasted Cheese and tomato sandwiches, or I take food in a cooler box to work.

What we tend to do now is make a huge supper, and then take a portion for lunch the next day, along with salad, fruit and yoghurt.

Even if you find a veg option at a fast food joint, its not that good for you on a regular basis.
#7 Old 06-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Indian restaurants really are the way to go. Or Thai. Both are plentiful down under.

Also, I am a great fan of Coles's tofu varieties. I think Woolies has a pretty good range too. They've got those packets of marinaded peanutty chunks. So good in a Tupperware container with some rice noodles or something, if you have to pack a lunch.
#8 Old 06-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Beginner

I eat alot of bean and lentil sandwiches which I load up with mustard and veganaise and pickles and it tastes delicious... I buy organic beans fairly inexpensively and I boil them and I have like a whole container full that usually lasts me the week...

http://www.whatieat.freehosting.net
#9 Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM

We couldn't find any fresh wild mushrooms when we last needed them, so my mum bought some dried porcini mushrooms. When they were rehydrated, I fried them in some olive oil til they went a bit crispy and I reckon they'd really satisfy any meat cravings because they taste really salty and, dare I say it, quite meaty. But in a totally non-meaty kind of way. Quite odd, but so delicious. (I don't actually get meat cravings so I couldn't say for sure, but my mum who still does eat meat from time to time said that they did do the job rather nicely.)

I'm convinced the crisp (potato chip) market is really missing out on a huge money maker!
#10 Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

That is really strange that you can't find vegetarian food at restaurants. Vegan food is another story but vegetarian should be pretty easy. Like other people said don't go for the fast food. Sometimes you can order things without the meat. Try to bring food from home when you travel or go to a grocery store instead of a restaurant.

If you ever want to start eating meat promise yourself that you will watch the "Meet Your Meat" video first. Good Luck!
#11 Old 06-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Beginner

you just have to be prepared. i'm gluten free and vegan so i always carry food and look up restaurants if i take a trip somewhere. when you travel you could just go to the market and pic up some veg things couldn't you? things like cans of lentil soup or something. that's what i would do.

for meat cravings i'd just have a meat substitute like a boca burger. i don't know what's in australia but i figure there must be a veg restaraunt somewhere you travel to.
#12 Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know how much this suggestion will help, but I'm an organic vegetarian (well for milk/eggs, not so much veg etc) and spend long days at work/uni and its very difficult to but anything from cafes or canteens that conform to my ethics.

Then I bought a stanley flask and I love it! I can prepare practically anything like curry, pasta, macaroni cheese, enchiladas the night/2 nights before and then just heat them up in the morning, shove them in my Stanley flask at 7am and even at 2pm its warm and lovely to eat. I'm not a fan of chilled food like salads and cold pasta so having something warm is great and also my friends are very envious. So if you have time in the morning to heat something up in a pan/microwave, this could work for you! If you're in a pinch for cooking space but can find a microwave, tinned stuff is a great time saver

I don't know where you get them in Australia, but I bought mine from a kitchen/homeware store but I'm sure you can buy online or from a camping shop. Here's a link for an picture and info:

SUPER STANLEY!!!
#13 Old 06-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Banned

I agree that founding vegetarian food in a country like Australia can be difficult where vegetarians are rare but u can find vegetarian food by searching little more or ordering special vegetarian dishes ...

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Erythema Erythrophobia Social phobia
#14 Old 06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Here are a few options for how to deal with cravings:

1) GIVE IN TO THE CRAVING - Remember that sometimes 'doing the right thing takes practice.' Give yourself the opportunity to practice. "Falling off the wagon" doesn't mean you're a failure. You can get right back up on the wagon after you've satisfied that craving. It's OK. Don't be too hard on yourself. Just make sure you get back up on the wagon!

2) FIND AN ALTERNATIVE - If you crave a certain nonvegan food, try to find a vegan substitute. Try lots of different brands and different recipes to see if you can nail exactly what the craving is. Sometimes it's a craving for salt or fat and not truly a craving for flesh or another animal product. (If it's for cigarettes, sometimes the true craving might be for a hand-mouth activity, so try gum or lollipops.)

Options for vegan products that satisfy cravings for nonvegan foods:

Meat:

http://www.meatalternatives.org/

Cheese:

http://www.teesecheese.com/

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands/...

http://www.followyourheart.com/vegang...

Ice cream:

http://turtlemountain.com/products/or...

http://www.gotemptation.com/

3) POWER THROUGH IT - Eventually the craving will go away. It will be a struggle, but the craving WILL end. The more healthy, vegan foods you eat, the less you will crave unhealthy nonvegan foods. The more days spent as a nonsmoker, the less you'll desire smoking. Habits are habits. You can create new, healthy habits. Affirmations can help. Remind yourself of all the good you're doing by avoiding animal products and by eating healthy plant foods: you're helping animals, you're helping the environment, and you're helping yourself by improving your health.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page