I'm new to vegetarianism and i have a few questions : ) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-14-2009, 02:44 PM

ok so let's see:

are there vegetarians that eat eggs? And if you do what are your reasons?

What are you favorite foods/recipes?

Ok i guess that's it for now thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi and welcome.

Some vegetarians eat eggs and some eat eggs and dairy.

Some don't eat either. I don't because the egg and dairy industries are cruel and mistreat and kill the animals and their young.

In terms of food - have a scout round the recipe forums and the what's for dinner thread to give you some ideas.
#3 Old 06-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi welcome to veggieboards. Many vegetarians eat both eggs and dairy, you will find lots of posts within this site discussing this subject ad infinitum. Congratulations on turning veggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I suppose I fall into the lacto-ovo category. I eat eggs, but try to avoid dairy (I prefer almond or soy milk/cheese and have a lactose intolerance) I bake a lot, so really the only time I use eggs is in baking. I always make sure to buy free range though.

As mentioned earlier, you will find tons of threads on the topic.
#5 Old 06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat eggs because my eggs come from a family that lives two blocks from my house that owns twenty pet chickens.

That way I can visit the chickens, and know that they are well cared for and that the chickens are allowed fresh air, sunshine, and time every once in a while to wander their yard and eat grubs and grass and chickweed and do all the stuff that chickens in battery cages don't get to do.
#6 Old 06-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I eat the eggs my five chickens give me, because I know I treat them like Queen chickies, I avoid dairy because I don't know where it came from, or how they're treated first hand.

But, if you do choose to eat Eggs and Dairy, make sure to look for the USDA (if you're in the States) Organic seal. It certifies that the chickens were treated humanely, and have access to outdoors when they like.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

what they said above. As far as recipes......look in the recipe forum, and also in the foods forum. Tons of good posts.

For recipe sites, go to www.vegweb.com and I like www.allrecipes.com, and search out their vegetarian recipes....(the roasted red pepper hummus is to die for!)

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#8 Old 06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I only eat stuff that has organic/free range/home farm eggs in. But if theres a reasonable alternative to something eggy, I'll have that, like vegan mayonnaise. I don't like eggs much anyway, they smell of farts to me

I have thought about trying to be vegan, but I enjoy cheese too much. Buying local and organic dairy is my stopgap, which I know some people don't agree with, but it works for me.

I don't really cook from recipes, I just tend to bung stuff (normally soya stuff, spinach blah bah anything I can find) in a pan and then eat it with some sort of carbohydrate! I'm not big on vegetables though, funny!

I recently made curried coconut soup and it was yummy. I'll have to post in the recipes bit some time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page