What stuff is not ok to eat as a vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 PM

I know it sounds kinda stupid. I know you don't eat meat, fish, or fowl but i heard somone mention rennet and gellatin? why what are in those? What foods have rennet in them? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-11-2009, 11:57 PM

do you mean 'rennet'? if so, that is an enzyme which is taken from dead calf's stomach.

gelatin is made from bones, pig's or cow's most often.

#3 Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=Blobbenstein]do you mean 'rennet'? if so, that is an enzyme which is taken from dead calf's stomach.

gelatin is made from bones, pig's or cow's most often.[/Q

oh it is rennet i couldn't remeber thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

rennet is commonly found in cheese. as for other places, I don't know. rennet-free cheese is available, but you have to check the ingredients.

as for "what is not ok" for vegetarians, vegetarians do not consume any products that require the death of an animal - so meat (and chicken, sealife, etc), rennet, gelatin, carmine/cochineal (made from crushed red beetles, often used as a coloring in foods). those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

it's up to you to decide whether you believe in cutting those things out. if you don't, that's fine, that's your choice, but you wouldn't be vegetarian. if you choose to do those things, great! I prefer to think of "vegetarian" as a word to describe the beliefs you hold, not as a label to try to fit yourself into. I hope that makes sense.

Welcome to Veggie Boards!
#5 Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Beginner

most cheese is made with rennet. There are vegetarian cheeses but they'll normally be labelled as such, at least they are in the UK. Watch out for cheese in other foods, I had to give up my beloved Sacla rocket pesto because it's made with non-veg cheese
#6 Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Just in addition to the rennet thing - some cheese flavoured crisps/chips specify if they are made with cheese containing rennet and/or have no 'V' or 'suitable for veggies' symbol. I'm thinking of the Walker's Sensations mature cheddar and onion that we have in the UK.

Its just something to keep in mind when buying snacks haha...
#7 Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbeans View Post

Just in addition to the rennet thing - some cheese flavoured crisps/chips specify if they are made with cheese containing rennet and/or have no 'V' or 'suitable for veggies' symbol. I'm thinking of the Walker's Sensations mature cheddar and onion that we have in the UK.

Its just something to keep in mind when buying snacks haha...

If the OP is in the US, we don't have the "V" thing here. nothing is labled "suitable for vegetarians" unless it's a veg company that wants to write it on there.
#8 Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

If the OP is in the US, we don't have the "V" thing here. nothing is labled "suitable for vegetarians" unless it's a veg company that wants to write it on there.

Yeah I wish we had that, it would make life so much easier!
#9 Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabie611 View Post

Yeah I wish we had that, it would make life so much easier!

Me too!!
#10 Old 06-13-2009, 07:41 PM

unless it's from the veg or vegan society I don't really trust the 'V' things; not for things like rennet, but it does make me feel better all the same.

#11 Old 06-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

It may sound redundant to most, but chicken broth is off limits. I heard people say (not on this board, just under stupid things omivores say thread) that they didn't know chicken broth wasn't vegetarian. It isn't.

"I used to hate dogs 'til I saw one kill a kid." W.C. Fields
#12 Old 06-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Beginner

Music is Life, check the ingredients list in the yogurt you buy, because some brands contain gelatin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page