VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Transitioning to Vegetarian (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/57-transitioning-vegetarian/)
-   -   What stuff is not ok to eat as a vegetarian? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/57-transitioning-vegetarian/98894-what-stuff-not-ok-eat-vegetarian.html)

Music is Life 06-11-2009 11:52 PM

I know it sounds kinda stupid. I know you don't eat meat, fish, or fowl but i heard somone mention rennet and gellatin? why what are in those? What foods have rennet in them? thanks!

Blobbenstein 06-11-2009 11:57 PM

do you mean 'rennet'? if so, that is an enzyme which is taken from dead calf's stomach.

gelatin is made from bones, pig's or cow's most often.

Music is Life 06-11-2009 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=Blobbenstein]do you mean 'rennet'? if so, that is an enzyme which is taken from dead calf's stomach.

gelatin is made from bones, pig's or cow's most often.[/Q

oh it is rennet i couldn't remeber thanks

clarita osita 06-12-2009 01:47 AM

rennet is commonly found in cheese. as for other places, I don't know. rennet-free cheese is available, but you have to check the ingredients.

as for "what is not ok" for vegetarians, vegetarians do not consume any products that require the death of an animal - so meat (and chicken, sealife, etc), rennet, gelatin, carmine/cochineal (made from crushed red beetles, often used as a coloring in foods). those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

it's up to you to decide whether you believe in cutting those things out. if you don't, that's fine, that's your choice, but you wouldn't be vegetarian. if you choose to do those things, great! I prefer to think of "vegetarian" as a word to describe the beliefs you hold, not as a label to try to fit yourself into. I hope that makes sense.

Welcome to Veggie Boards!

Kotegaeshi 06-12-2009 01:49 AM

most cheese is made with rennet. There are vegetarian cheeses but they'll normally be labelled as such, at least they are in the UK. Watch out for cheese in other foods, I had to give up my beloved Sacla rocket pesto because it's made with non-veg cheese

monsterbeans 06-12-2009 10:34 AM

Just in addition to the rennet thing - some cheese flavoured crisps/chips specify if they are made with cheese containing rennet and/or have no 'V' or 'suitable for veggies' symbol. I'm thinking of the Walker's Sensations mature cheddar and onion that we have in the UK.

Its just something to keep in mind when buying snacks haha...

GhostUser 06-12-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbeans View Post

Just in addition to the rennet thing - some cheese flavoured crisps/chips specify if they are made with cheese containing rennet and/or have no 'V' or 'suitable for veggies' symbol. I'm thinking of the Walker's Sensations mature cheddar and onion that we have in the UK.

Its just something to keep in mind when buying snacks haha...

If the OP is in the US, we don't have the "V" thing here. nothing is labled "suitable for vegetarians" unless it's a veg company that wants to write it on there.

angelbabie611 06-13-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

If the OP is in the US, we don't have the "V" thing here. nothing is labled "suitable for vegetarians" unless it's a veg company that wants to write it on there.

Yeah I wish we had that, it would make life so much easier!

GhostUser 06-13-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabie611 View Post

Yeah I wish we had that, it would make life so much easier!

Me too!!

Blobbenstein 06-13-2009 07:41 PM

unless it's from the veg or vegan society I don't really trust the 'V' things; not for things like rennet, but it does make me feel better all the same.

Calhoun07 06-13-2009 09:30 PM

It may sound redundant to most, but chicken broth is off limits. I heard people say (not on this board, just under stupid things omivores say thread) that they didn't know chicken broth wasn't vegetarian. It isn't.

madhuram 06-15-2009 04:12 PM

Music is Life, check the ingredients list in the yogurt you buy, because some brands contain gelatin.