Argh. I'm Vegan now, and my friend is being sooo.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM

My friend was yelling at me because I went Vegan. She said that my BRAIN NEEDS MEAT. And she said that I will become weaker and that I need to eat meat and drink milk to build up immunities..

Ughhh, I don't want to argue with her, because she keeps saying that I'm an idiot! What a friend, huh? -__________- I don't know what to tell her. She is the most opinionated person ever, and believes that she is ALWAYS right.

:c

(I apologize if this is in the wrong thread!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

It seems like they are a good friend of yours, so I guess the "f*@# off and mind your business" routine won't cut it. You could pick up veggies for dummies or a similar book and ask her to read the first chapter or two to get a better understanding of it all. If she isn't willing to do that, then I wouldn't put forth much effort defending your position to her.
#3 Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Have her read the China Study. It talks about how eating meat and dairy causes cancer, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, osteoperosis, and all manner of other nasties.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

What 'good friend' likes to call you an idiot?
#5 Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Yeah I'd say, try and calmly explain your reasons for going vegan and if she continues to batter you with insults... Well, that isn't a very friend like thing to do and if she can't at least keep an open mind and "tolerate" your new beliefs then she might not be the best person to keep around you.
#6 Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

she's talking out of her arse. the ADA (american dietary nutrition expert people) totally disagree with her. show her this: http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm and if she keeps on, just say "yes dear" with a big condecending smile.
#7 Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 PM

She obviously has no knowledge to back up her insults.
#8 Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Lol, I have a friend a bit like this. It's so irritating huh? Can you minimilize the amount of time you spend with her or just cut her off? She doesn't sound like a very good friend to me But I guess she could be in other ways.
#9 Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccolichick View Post

What 'good friend' likes to call you an idiot?

This.
#10 Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Thank you everyone for the wonderful responses.

Mm, yes, she is a good friend in many other ways, but she can be a little.. ehh. =/

If she gets on my case again, I'm coming back here to get those articles/books/info some of you listed and ask her to read it. c:

#11 Old 06-03-2009, 06:50 PM

*hugs* I know dealing with this kind of thing, especially with people close to you, can be difficult and quite painful. But I hope things work out between you and your friend.
#12 Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathleya View Post

My friend was yelling at me because I went Vegan. She said that my BRAIN NEEDS MEAT. And she said that I will become weaker and that I need to eat meat and drink milk to build up immunities..

Ughhh, I don't want to argue with her, because she keeps saying that I'm an idiot! What a friend, huh? -__________- I don't know what to tell her. She is the most opinionated person ever, and believes that she is ALWAYS right.

:c

(I apologize if this is in the wrong thread!)

Congrats on going vegan and welcome to VB!

If I were in your shoes, I would let your actions, energy level, and good health prove her wrong - not your words.
#13 Old 06-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Beginner

Quote:

And she said that I will become weaker and that I need to eat meat and drink milk to build up immunities..

Ask her to explain that to these guys:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bios
#14 Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd just tell her "if you're a good friend you will support me in whatever I am doing that makes me happy, my diet is perfectly safe, now please drop it."
#15 Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Tell her to love you for you and vive la differance!
#16 Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Beginner

I always love how people try to characterize vegans and veggies as angry, judgmental as.sholes (thanks PETA! Helping the image...) when it's always non-veggies who get angry and start yelling their heads off.

I, too, have friends that get really riled up at the veg/non-veg debate.
#17 Old 06-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Yea, a friend of mine is a failed ('felt ill' after two weeks - impossible) vegetarian and so he puts his guilt onto me and says all kinds of ridiculous things. He said he needed meat for his vitamins, I asked what vitamins and he didn't know. Everyone's a nutritionist, right? Just ask her why, ask for statistics, numbers, details, and be bloody sure that you can deliver them when she can't. Also, eat well and make sure you improve your health visibly. If you can defeat her in all her arguments (which anyone can with access to a board like this) she'll probably drop it.

Anyway, most people who are weird about it are just meat eaters with guilt complexes, and they're the most ridiculous people you will ever meet. I used to work on a fish/meat counter (at a different time in my life, obv) at a supermarket, and these people would ask for the fish to be decapitated before you wrapped them up. I always thought it was silly.
#18 Old 06-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Ask her to respect your decision and if she's willing to listen to a more educated explanation then great, but if not then ask her not to discuss your food choices. You get to decide what you put into your body.

And I know there are a lot of negative debatings about PETA, but their website has a whole lot of useful information that helped me in my transition of vegetarianism and then veganism.
#19 Old 06-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been thinking this why it gets so big reactions from people when you tell that you are veg*n and try to tell them why you made that choice without even hinting that they should do so too. And I think that most of the people feel guilty about eating meat and even if they don't admit that and when you go and show them that you have the "willpower" to be veg*n and they feel that they don't have that they want to attack to you and your choices and try to make you change back so that they could justify what they do. And I don't believe that those people actually even realize why they feel that need to attack to you.

I don't know if I made any sense in here but try to get it.
#20 Old 06-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend that used to be like that when I first became a vegetarian.

But I think he got bored and he accepts it now.

Give it time.

#21 Old 06-06-2009, 04:29 PM

i used to have a few mates like that, and still do infact

its annoying

but if they dont listen to you and you still wna stay friends

id say just keep avoiding the subject n if its brought up just try n shrug it off

eventually they tend to just give up

its all abit to "new" for them, they jus dont wanna know it

but yeah, id say just avoid the taunts
#22 Old 06-06-2009, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Thank you everyone for the wonderful responses.

Mm, yes, she is a good friend in many other ways, but she can be a little.. ehh. =/

If she gets on my case again, I'm coming back here to get those articles/books/info some of you listed and ask her to read it. c:

It'd be a wise decision for you to read them as well

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#23 Old 06-06-2009, 07:42 PM

You may have already, but have a read of this thread.... it will make you feel much better... https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=31286
#24 Old 06-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

People are so... touchy about what they eat. It is so odd how some omnis take it as a personal attack when someone they know decides to go veg.
#25 Old 06-11-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran View Post

If I were in your shoes, I would let your actions, energy level, and good health prove her wrong - not your words.

I agree with this approach.

Sometimes the best response is no response at all.

Your friend seems very opinionated and those kinds of people can rarely

engage in a normal discussion/debate because they find it hard to open themselves to the idea of being wrong or misinformed.

So just let her keep on yapping away and much later on down the road when you're fit and feeling great and she's bored with not getting a rise out of you,

I'm pretty sure she'll learn to just leave it be.

To each their own, and all that.
#26 Old 06-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Beginner

I'm sorry your having to deal with that. I dont understand why certain people have to bully you about your choice. I have a few family members an co-workers that have been giving me a hard time too.
#27 Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 PM

Tell your friend that vegans actually have stronger immune systems than omnivores due to not filling their stomachs with bacteria laden meats which focuses the bodies defences on killing the bacteria, and leaves very little to defend against outside viruses and germs.
#28 Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Beginner

You could ****ing dump that friend.

If she's a close minded *****.

Who is she to dare to question your ways? You are "attempting" to abstain from a human custom which exploits not only its citizens but also the inhabitants of the earth like resources. There is only one solution ANTI FAUX VEGAN!

haha but no seriously talk to your friend about it. Explain that life is a mystery. There is no god. Drugs are bad for you. Except marijuana, **** that's good for anything. If she still does not understand. DESTROY HER!

no dont do that.

Tell her to **** off and try and think for a while.

VEGAN

LIBERATION

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page