so I watched Earthlings... - VeggieBoards

so I watched Earthlings...

Balthazar's Avatar Balthazar
06:53 PM 05-03-2009
wow...after watching that, I don't want anything to do with factory farms. today is day 6 of no meat for me. I'm also going to cut out dairy and eggs as much as possible. from looking around the forums it looks like the two biggest problems with the diet are

1. shopping/cooking

2. social pressure

#1 is not going to be a problem for me, as I was cooking before anyways. However, my entire family is pretty freakin conservative, and they think of veg*ns as a bunch of crazy hippies. On top of that, hunting and fishing are a big deal on one side of the family. It will be easy for them to interpret my diet decision as offensive. I think ultimately they will just learn to deal with me, but I want to handle this as smoothly as possible.

any feedback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Eleven's Avatar Eleven
07:10 PM 05-03-2009
You could show your family the movie.
Beachbnny's Avatar Beachbnny
07:29 PM 05-03-2009
I think majority of us had to deal with an uncomfortable "outing" at some point. A few of my Husband's family are hunters and won't ever understand why I don't eat animals and a few of my family are extreme conservatives and raz on me whenever they get the chance. It's amazing I became the person I am actually, lol. You'll be fine. The social thing is the hardest part. That's the most frequent complaint from most vegetarians, IMO. So be prepared for others' reactions and try and be graceful about the whole thing.

Glad you watched Earthlings. It's petty intense, isn't it? It's helpful to know this stuff. Keeps you on the right path.

Honestly, if you can cook and can stand up for yourself, you're all set. Like anything that's against the grain, it's not always easy but it is always worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MadisonIV's Avatar MadisonIV
11:29 PM 05-03-2009
what is this "earthlings"?

I saw Meet-Your-Meat, but this is the first I am hearing of this other thing.
GhostUser's Avatar GhostUser
01:48 AM 05-04-2009
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0358456/

"Using hidden cameras and never-before-seen footage, EARTHLINGS chronicles the day-to-day practices of the largest industries in the world, all of which rely entirely on animals for profit."

I watched Meet Your Meat and was traumatized for months, so I don't think it would be very wise for me to watch this documentary.
Nessus's Avatar Nessus
05:44 AM 05-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post

wow...after watching that, I don't want anything to do with factory farms. today is day 6 of no meat for me. I'm also going to cut out dairy and eggs as much as possible. from looking around the forums it looks like the two biggest problems with the diet are

1. shopping/cooking

2. social pressure

#1 is not going to be a problem for me, as I was cooking before anyways.

Good for you. Yeah, I think that those are the biggest problems. (Although, figuring out what to eat at restaurants might also be a big deal for some.) If you're already used to cooking a lot, it's much easier. Once you learn a few new recipes it's not really any more difficult than being an omni (at least in my experience).

Quote:
However, my entire family is pretty freakin conservative, and they think of veg*ns as a bunch of crazy hippies. On top of that, hunting and fishing are a big deal on one side of the family. It will be easy for them to interpret my diet decision as offensive. I think ultimately they will just learn to deal with me, but I want to handle this as smoothly as possible.

I definitely understand your feelings as my family is also pretty conservative. I'd recommend just telling them quickly and getting it over with. I wouldn't try showing them Earthlings as that would probably just play into their preconceptions about veg*ns trying to force their beliefs on everyone else. When I explained things to my more conservative family members I focused on the fact that I had gotten to the point where I just saw the meat on my plate as a dead animal, not as food. I also mentioned that I felt hypocritical eating an animal that I wouldn't/couldn't kill myself. Despite my apprehensions, nobody gave me any grief when I presented it that way.

That approach might work with your family too. A lot of hunters and farmers tend to get annoyed with "city boys" who couldn't kill an animal themselves and pretend like the meat just magically shows up on their plates. If you approach it from that angle rather than saying that eating meat is immoral, you may be able to avoid confrontations with the hunters and fishermen in your family. In any case, I'd avoid anything that would seem like evangelizing. That way when anyone gives you grief, you can just say something like "What do you care what I eat? I don't tell you what to eat."
06:51 AM 05-04-2009
is there a download link for this movie? cant watch it at the library, but i can bring it home and watch it.
07:33 AM 05-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonIV View Post

is there a download link for this movie? cant watch it at the library, but i can bring it home and watch it.

Google Video!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...Q&q=Earthlings
MaryToulouse's Avatar MaryToulouse
09:12 AM 05-04-2009
I just followed your link because I hadn't seen it, but I didn't watch it all. It's nothing new to me and it just makes me cross that people don't pay any attention.
rabid_child's Avatar rabid_child
11:03 AM 05-04-2009
How I respond to other people's response to my veg*nism depends on who is saying it. Sometimes I just give them a glossy smile with a dull gaze and say something dismissive like "This diet is the best choice for me. It might not be right for everyone" and end it there (not that I necessarily AGREE with the second half of that, but it's nonconfrontational and tends to make it clear that I am not out to debate anything).

I've also outright told people that I am respectful of their dietary choices and I expect the same respect from them about my own, and that the issue was not up for argument.
veggiemeggie's Avatar veggiemeggie
12:21 PM 05-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeD View Post

Google Video!

This is completely OT but KamikazeD I love your avatar!
01:26 PM 05-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemeggie View Post

This is completely OT but KamikazeD I love your avatar!

Why, thank you. 'Tis the awesomeness that is Murray and Rhys Darby.
04:13 PM 05-04-2009
ok, so I downloaded it, got it home and am watching/will finish watching tonight.

i've already made the decision to go vegetarian, and have been so for a few months now, so I'm not quite sure exactly what effect the movie will have on me, cause I don't really needed to be swayed here. but we'll see.
Peaches's Avatar Peaches
06:17 PM 05-04-2009
Thank you much for posting this link.

I said to myself that I would never watch this but I'm so glad that I did. I cried allot....I honestly think that I do not have any tears left. This documentary / movie hit me hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeD View Post

Google Video!

tofuticutie13's Avatar tofuticutie13
06:35 PM 05-04-2009
my strategy has always been to be polite, but clear- if you're going to someone's house for dinner, let them know in advance and maybe suggest some foods, for example. No on should make you feel pressured to eat anything you don't want to, but I try to minimize the confrontation (unless they start it, in which case all gloves come off lol)
01:34 AM 05-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post

Thank you much for posting this link.

Most welcome!
Beachbnny's Avatar Beachbnny
06:17 AM 05-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonIV View Post

ok, so I downloaded it, got it home and am watching/will finish watching tonight.

i've already made the decision to go vegetarian, and have been so for a few months now, so I'm not quite sure exactly what effect the movie will have on me, cause I don't really needed to be swayed here. but we'll see.

How'd it go? I had already been vegetarian for at least 4 years when I watched it but it still had a profound affect on me.
skaletto's Avatar skaletto
07:49 AM 05-05-2009
I'd tell them and get it over with quickly. If anyone gets offended about it then show them Earthingls or similar. Alot of people don't know what really happens in the meat world, and even though maybe some members of the family will be offended (I've been there!), you have to think of the good you are doing for animals, the environment and yourself!!
Wishuponastar's Avatar Wishuponastar
03:09 PM 05-05-2009
This is a little off topic but relates to Earthlings...

I watched it with a friend the other day. She started crying(me too) when the dog was thrown into the garbage truck. I continued crying through out the whole movie and even had to stop it a few times to gain composure. She cried when it was about the cats and dogs, but was perfectly okay the rest of the movie. Afterwards, we talked about it and she said it really puts it into perspective when it's about your pet. I thought to myself "WTF so only cats and dogs matter??"

Why is it that when a cat or dog is being hurt people are more sympathetic than when farm animals or fish are being tortured??

I look at both evils as equally bad!
Hotchilidog's Avatar Hotchilidog
03:54 PM 05-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishuponastar View Post

This is a little off topic but relates to Earthlings...

I watched it with a friend the other day. She started crying(me too) when the dog was thrown into the garbage truck. I continued crying through out the whole movie and even had to stop it a few times to gain composure. She cried when it was about the cats and dogs, but was perfectly okay the rest of the movie. Afterwards, we talked about it and she said it really puts it into perspective when it's about your pet. I thought to myself "WTF so only cats and dogs matter??"

Why is it that when a cat or dog is being hurt people are more sympathetic than when farm animals or fish are being tortured??

I look at both evils as equally bad!

That is unbelievable! How can you watch that film and not be moved.

We are all earthlings. Ironically enough I was sat on the sofa watching it on the computer and both my cats were watching too, even they could sense what was going on.

Thanks for the link kamikaze D. When you watch somehting like that I find it incredible that we are considered the freaks by most of modern society.
Envy's Avatar Envy
04:55 PM 05-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchilidog View Post

That is unbelievable! How can you watch that film and not be moved.

Hmm?

Many people don't get affected very much.
Hotchilidog's Avatar Hotchilidog
11:30 PM 05-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Hmm?

Maybe I'm just the sensitive type. I thought it was an excellent and informative film. Of course it was preaching to the converted when I was watching it.

I thought the dog in the garbage truck was symbolic of the lack empathy humans showed to the animals throughout the film, utterly heartbreaking.
Kalamity's Avatar Kalamity
12:06 AM 05-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Hmm?

Probably because they choose to turn a blind eye to it all. They dont want to think about what is on their plate and so when they see a movie like that they assosiate it to the animal but not to what they are eating. If their steak was in the shape if a cow or their pork in the shape of a pig it may be different but I suppose that is why the cats and dogs strike home- because that is something they can see and take part in as pets but the rest they are blind to.

Bit of a ramble but I know what I mean...
Peaches's Avatar Peaches
01:20 PM 05-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

How'd it go? I had already been vegetarian for at least 4 years when I watched it but it still had a profound affect on me.

It affected me too Beachbnny! I'm no longer vegetarian and since watching the movie have become vegan. No movie have I seen, has impacted me as much as Earthlings. I have even started to branch out and remove other things slowly, like items that I have purchased that have been tested on animals, living cruelty free, ect. It really opened my eyes.
m4rk0's Avatar m4rk0
03:02 PM 05-06-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches View Post

It affected me too Beachbnny! I'm no longer vegetarian and since watching the movie have become vegan. No movie have I seen, has impacted me as much as Earthlings. I have even started to branch out and remove other things slowly, like items that I have purchased that have been tested on animals, living cruelty free, ect. It really opened my eyes.

So glad to hear you made the switch!
Wishuponastar's Avatar Wishuponastar
10:54 PM 05-08-2009
I think that everyone is just too far removed from the process of getting their meat. When someone sees a cat or dog getting abused, he can relate it to his own pets. However, when someone sees a chicken being abused it is harder to imagine the chicken nugget he just ate being an actual living being. That is my understanding of it anyway...
Yuki_onna's Avatar Yuki_onna
04:33 PM 05-11-2009
That movie is what made me really realize...I cried throughout the whole thing!
04:38 PM 05-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishuponastar View Post

I think that everyone is just too far removed from the process of getting their meat. When someone sees a cat or dog getting abused, he can relate it to his own pets. However, when someone sees a chicken being abused it is harder to imagine the chicken nugget he just ate being an actual living being. That is my understanding of it anyway...

Yup this is sadly the way it is sometimes .
ReaganNC's Avatar ReaganNC
09:02 PM 05-11-2009
My husband watched part of this with me earlier tonight. I had watched most of it several months ago. He said at one point, "I would never want to hurt an animal! You know I'm nothing like those people. I don't condone hurting an animal." Now, I know he means that when it comes to cats and dogs. However, he eats meat. I just cannot reconcile eating meat with that sentiment. It doesn't add up.

We talked about that, and he says he'll never stop eating meat. He'd rather hunt his own food, but says it is impractical where we live. I don't think it matters whether he buys the meat at the store or kills an animal himself. The result is the same--the animals are killed. I just don't get how he can separate himself from the reality that animals suffer on factory farms and still have them as "food" on his plate.
Treehugger267's Avatar Treehugger267
01:01 PM 05-12-2009
I haven't seen the video, but I'm sure it would break my heart. Meet your Meat was more than enough for me to change my ways.

Good for you for taking the steps to be a caring, compassionate person. You're family will adjust eventually, however, if they are like mine they will never truly understand that chickens don't grow on plants...lol Just be who you are and eat want you want to.

Reply Up