"Skinny *****" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-01-2009, 06:39 AM

Has anyone read it? Is it worth it to me to buy it?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

If you do a search at the top of the screen, there's quite a few threads about this already
#3 Old 05-01-2009, 01:20 PM

It is an awesome book, I recommend it to any meat eater who isnt aware of what they are eating, and always for the vegan or vegetarian who wants to learn more. It has the cold hard facts, lots of stuff most people don't want to hear but need to hear, and its funny! I read it twice and i just let my step mom borrow it today! It also has a lot of resources in it, such as supportive websites, places to buy food, and a huge list of ingredients we may look past but are actually animal by products. I say its two thumbs up, go buy it now!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Beginner

#5 Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 PM

I stopped eating meat because of this book lol....
#6 Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I gave my wife a copy for Christmas and she now barely eats meat (and zero dairy). I just got a copy of Skinny ******* and its a great reinforcement for why I live this way.
#7 Old 05-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

It isn't bad, you'll either dig the tone or hate it. I don't recommend Skinny ***** in the Kitch though, it's just like "how to make your favorite foods that you ate when you ate meat, only with packaged vegetarian meat replacements."
#8 Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It's so funny this was posted today, because I just purchased the audio book (I like to listen as I work out... lol). I'll let you know what I think when I finish it.
#9 Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought it was funny and a genius marketing idea (unsuspecting omni's thinking they're buying a diet book when it is really a vegan manifesto... muahaha...). It is nice to have as reinforcement
#10 Old 05-01-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masja View Post

If you do a search at the top of the screen, there's quite a few threads about this already

I'm sorry! I didn't know there was a search option, I'm new

Thanks everyone! I think I will buy it!
#11 Old 05-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Its one of my favorites... I think its worth having just to lend to other people. The cookbook is worthless tho.
#12 Old 05-03-2009, 10:10 AM

is there a "man" version of this book? heh.

everything I've seen and read about the book leads me to believe that it's pretty much geared towards women. of course I have not actually read the book itself, so I could be mistaken.
#13 Old 05-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonIV View Post

is there a "man" version of this book? heh.

everything I've seen and read about the book leads me to believe that it's pretty much geared towards women. of course I have not actually read the book itself, so I could be mistaken.

Actually... yes. What would a skinny ***** do without her skinny *******?

http://www.amazon.com/Skinny-*******.../dp/0762435402
#14 Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Beginner

Something I've always wanted to know about this book is can I easily skip over the parts about factory farms and/or how the animals are treated? I've always wanted to read this book, but I don't want to read that stuff (I've read enough to keep me a vegan for a lifetime). I really want to read the "health" stuff in the book though.
#15 Old 05-06-2009, 09:25 AM

Yes, definitely do buy it. I just read it a few months ago and it helped me make the transition straight from omni to vegan!!!!!
#16 Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegton View Post

Something I've always wanted to know about this book is can I easily skip over the parts about factory farms and/or how the animals are treated? I've always wanted to read this book, but I don't want to read that stuff (I've read enough to keep me a vegan for a lifetime). I really want to read the "health" stuff in the book though.

The chapters are really well labeled and they give you a break down of what each chapter covers in the front of the book. So just make sure you read that page and I'm sure it will be easy to skip over those parts.

I find the animal cruelty stuff hard to read too but I found that this book told you enough about factory farming without over describing and getting really gory.
#17 Old 05-06-2009, 03:01 PM

I can't say I've read this book, but reading all the praise makes me interested, I think I will add it to my summer reading list.
#18 Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, I read it. That is what opened my eyes, so to speak, and why I'm here
#19 Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWhispers View Post

Actually... yes. What would a skinny ***** do without her skinny *******?

http://www.amazon.com/Skinny-*******.../dp/0762435402

ok, so what exactly is this? is this a brand new book? or basically a re-worded version of Skinny *****, with "man" words and phrases instead of "woman" words and phrases?

if you read one, do you need to read the other for any particular reason?
#20 Old 05-07-2009, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I just ordered this and now I need to wait couple weeks that the post will drop it to me. Can't wait to get it into my hands! And I got quite good deal with it too, internet bookshops are best places to buy books.
#21 Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 AM

I'd recommend EVERYONE to read this, vegetarians, vegans, omnivores etc
#22 Old 05-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I read it while still in Australia as an omnivore, and it got me frustrated about living with a host family so I couldn't go veg IMMEDIATELY. It got me very worked up, although I personally don't like the style it's written in. Still, a book to really make you think about what you eat.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#23 Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 PM

I just wanted to say that I have it and I'm reading it and it's really great!
#24 Old 05-11-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy1723 View Post

I just wanted to say that I have it and I'm reading it and it's really great!

Glad you like it!

If you decide to try their cookbook ("Skinny ***** in the Kitch") I highly suggest going to a bookstore and looking through it first. I bought a set that came with SB and SBITK and loved the book-- but hated the cookbook. It relies a lot on tofu and prepackaged things...which in my opinion isn't that healthy. So now I wish I had checked the cookbook out first and then chosen to just buy the book
#25 Old 05-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Beginner

Like other people have said, you will either love or hate the style of writing. I'm a pretty blunt person myself, so I had no problem with their no-bull**** tactics. I think that if certain information is out there (not even necessarily animal-related) then there is no point in sugarcoating it.

I liked the book
#26 Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheThrowsDown View Post

Glad you like it!

If you decide to try their cookbook ("Skinny ***** in the Kitch") I highly suggest going to a bookstore and looking through it first. I bought a set that came with SB and SBITK and loved the book-- but hated the cookbook. It relies a lot on tofu and prepackaged things...which in my opinion isn't that healthy. So now I wish I had checked the cookbook out first and then chosen to just buy the book

I agree...the book is okay but didnt care for the cookbook I am not a tofu fan and its all about the tofu.
#27 Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 PM

I read this book and it definitely got me thinking! Now that I know I'd love to be a vegan someday I really appreciate this book. Beware though if you are a sensitive soul...the authors of this book use some crude language and some tough-love motivation. At least I felt that I could respect them for writing how most people would speak! Very informitive!!!
#28 Old 05-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I read the book when I was already vegan and I loved it. I also really liked the style of the writing
#29 Old 05-22-2009, 09:53 AM

I keep this book on my bookshelf and leaf through it when I am feeling like I want to eat junk food instead of veggies - because I am too lazy to A) make something healthy B) go out and buy something healthy

Its small - its a fun read. I love it
#30 Old 05-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Duh, I'm so disappointed. I calculated that I would get my book in this week but nuh uh no book to me. I really can't wait to get my hands into this and now I need to wait till next week. Stupid post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page