I am SO bloated.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I was talking to someone else that recently gave up meat and she said it happened to her as well. I've gained a pound or 2 and I'm soo bloated and always feel so full but hungry at the same time and it's driving me crazy! Other than giving up meat I've added a lot more soy, and I MIGHT be taking in more carbs than I realized. I usually don't keep track of them but I have been since I'm wondering if that's what's contributing to this.

Is it just my body getting used to the new diet? The girl I talked to said after the first week it started to get better, and it's been almost a week for me. Is there something I can do to help the transition go more smoothly or to stop feeling so bloated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Stop eating a lot of soy.
#3 Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

Stop eating a lot of soy.

and why?

It could have something to do with upping your soy intake, but not everyone experiences bloating from it to able to rule that as being the cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if I eat a LOT, just more than normal.

I'll eat maybe 1/2 a block of tofu or some imitation meat, or some soy milk. I probably get about 2 or 3 servings, not too much I don't think. Not every meal involves it, I try to switch up. I never really ate beans much so maybe it's that? Will I get used to it, I hope?
#5 Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Naturally, your probably going to be getting a lot more fiber in your diet than before, which will shows signs early. Everyone is different and I'd give yourself more time to adjust. Just be sure your eating a good variety of foods and not too much of one thing. It doesnt sound like your getting too much soy to me. Bloating caused by soy is usually a sign of an allergy. If you would like, you may try cutting it out completely for a couple of days to see if you can rule it out.
#6 Old 04-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I've eaten soy products for awhile so I don't think it's anything like that. And I've had a recent allergy test, a year ago, and I wasn't allergic to anything. I'll be more patient, like i said it's just getting on my nerves. I can deal with it temporarily I just want to make sure it IS just temporary.

Oh! And I've always suspected I have IBS. I have fibro and it goes with that a lot of times. I'm guessing diet can really affect that, if I do have it.
#7 Old 04-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

Naturally, your probably going to be getting a lot more fiber in your diet than before, which will shows signs early. .

Yes so you need to drink more water to compensate, otherwise your poo will go hard and dry in your intestines (excuse my being so blatant) which will cause the bloating you're experiencing. if you moisten it by upping your water intake then it will be easier to excrete.

you need about 2 litres a day.
#8 Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

It could be a gluten problem if you are eating that as a meat replacement, but maybe just the fiber thing, in my experience fiber can have a very dramatic effect on your system if you aren't used to it. Especially bran, like wheat bran. Although that might just be my system. It's worth keeping that possibility in mind if things get worse.
#9 Old 04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Banned

you're probably just getting more fibre than your body is used to. its so so soooo common for newbies to get a bit bloaty and gurgly and gassy and post that their toilet stuff has changed and that they seem to be going to the bathroom all the time and that they feel hungry all the time and full at he same time. it'll most likely sort itself out in a week or so- your body just needs to adjust and get used to the change in food processing.
#10 Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok thanks for reassuring me. As long as it'll get better I can deal w/ it. It's really the only problem I've encountered so far, otherwise I'm really enjoying my new vegetarian lifestyle
#11 Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM

It's exactly the same for me and I'm at day seven. I figure it'll smooth out in another week or three, though it hasn't been that bad this last day or two. Something I read in an article though is to make sure you're chewing your food really well. I know I don't chew my food well at all so it's probable cause for me.
#12 Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually just posted something in the vegan board about IBS and possibly going vegan sooner than I thought.
#13 Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Ah yes, newbie bloat.

We all get it and yes, it's painful and frustrating but it does go away.

Some people seem to get better after a week, others it takes 2 or 3, but usually after the first week it does begin to diminish enough for a person to be able to cope with it.

More fruits, veggies, grains & legumes=more gas.

Try to make sure you are drinking enough water to help everything along and as for the soy, everything in moderation.

I usually eat something soy related about once a week, sometimes twice.

Watch any 'mock' substitutes as well, they also sometimes have soy in them.

Smaller meals, more frequently also seemed to help me somewhat.

Sending lots of hugs & hoping it subsides for you soon, I know how uncomfortable it can be.
#14 Old 04-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been pretty bloated for the last week, no idea why, as i've been vegetarian for last 2 years, so cant be newbie bloat

Maybe it's my severe lack of exercise in the last couple of days?
#15 Old 04-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison182 View Post

I've been pretty bloated for the last week, no idea why, as i've been vegetarian for last 2 years, so cant be newbie bloat

Maybe it's my severe lack of exercise in the last couple of days?

This happens to me when I don't stay active, it messes up my appetite and my digestive system. Also, coffee/caffenine. I've actually successfully cut back ALOT and have already noticed the difference. Same with alcohol, especially beer.
#16 Old 04-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil View Post

Yes so you need to drink more water to compensate, otherwise your poo will go hard and dry in your intestines (excuse my being so blatant) which will cause the bloating you're experiencing. if you moisten it by upping your water intake then it will be easier to excrete.

you need about 2 litres a day.

I was thinking water too and eat more veggies,fruit..ect I dont rememeber this happening to me and if it did it didnt last long.

hey hey have a hippie day
#17 Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I definitely got bloated and gassy when I switched over to a veg diet. I think it was the fiber that did it. I found papaya enzymes helped at the time. I know more water and exercise would have done me good as well.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#18 Old 04-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I completely forgot about papaya extract, I've read good things about it. Can you get it a whole foods or a health food store?
#19 Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

This happens to me when I don't stay active, it messes up my appetite and my digestive system. Also, coffee/caffenine. I've actually successfully cut back ALOT and have already noticed the difference. Same with alcohol, especially beer.

oh really? Hmmm...i should cut down on the amount of tea i drink so! Especially on days where i sit at home, all i do is drink looooads of tea, about 10 cups a day

In fact I noticed I felt better this morning, after all the walking i did yesterday. I'll get up off my arse in future
#20 Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison182 View Post

oh really? Hmmm...i should cut down on the amount of tea i drink so! Especially on days where i sit at home, all i do is drink looooads of tea, about 10 cups a day

In fact I noticed I felt better this morning, after all the walking i did yesterday. I'll get up off my arse in future

Yeah, if that's caffinated I would suspect it would be causing bloating. After reading skinny ***** I made the connection with caffine and bloating, but ignored it. A few weeks ago when I saw my doctor I mentioned that I noticed bloating more often. First thing she said; is that would have to do with how much coffee I drink. I've cut down from an entire pot to about 2 mugs worth(about 3 actual cups) and I have already noticed a good difference.
#21 Old 04-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Beginner

I experienced the same thing. I cut back on the carbs & soy at the time and that helped me quite a bit
#22 Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Hm will soy do it? I think I've been eating a lot of soy >_< Maybe that's what it is. I've always ate a lot of carbs, so I wasn't sure if that's what was causing it

It's been 2 weeks and the bloat is still kinda there, I don't think it's as bad. Some days it's worse, but it's about to be "that time" so maybe that's why I'm still bloated, not the food....
#23 Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Beginner

I think your probably taking in a lot more fiber too if your diet is mostly plant based. Try drinking a lot of water and, as you mentioned, changing things up. Just remember that even though it may be a little uncomfy now, your doing a world of good for yourself and the environment
#24 Old 04-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

They call this newbie bloat? I've had it for, like, ever. . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page