are newbie flexitarians welcome here too? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi, and I just signed up. I have to admit that I am working towards the semi vegetarian status now.

I am currently reading The China Study, and it's pretty amazing, and want to change my husband's and my course of living. He's all for it, fortunately.

I am also still currently losing weight,by following Weight Watchers, and he has just totally changed his portion control, reduced his fat intake, and exercising regularly.

I haven't been through this site totally yet, but am anxious to see what I can find.

Is anyone else on a weight loss mission, while trying to improve their health?

Thanks for reading!

Jess

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

As long as you are working toward the elimination of all meat (and fish) from your diet, we will certainly be willing to help you out.
#3 Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

well, honestly, probably not. I can get rid of red meat, but we just want to really cut down the animal protein amts we are consuming, and try to improve our potential health. We are not interested in the vegetarian lifestyle due to animal rights issues, but I respect those people who do.

So, is this a problem, and if it is, where do people like me go for more support, who want to incorporate more of this eating lifestyle?

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

#5 Old 02-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

well already then, I guess I should have dug more before I posted. I won't post anymore, but I'm going to read in silence. Thanks hooded. I just read both of those posts.....

so seriously....can anyone offer another forum somewhere where middle of the road people are accepted for health reasons?

thanks again.

#6 Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Banned

wouldn't a general health based food forum work for you?
#7 Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM

People who are here for health reasons ARE welcomed, as long as they don't eat animals (or are working towards cutting out all animals and being veg*n)

I agree that a health forum would probably work well for you. Maybe start a thread on eating less animal products.
#8 Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering why you don't want to eliminate meat?
#9 Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinian View Post

I was wondering why you don't want to eliminate meat?

I might be able to answer that. If someone is only interested in their health, then they don't really need to get rid of meat, they just need to moderate their meat consumption and eat plenty of other healthy food. Meat isn't unhealthy in moderate amounts, as part of a balanced diet.
#10 Old 02-19-2009, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

I might be able to answer that. If someone is only interested in their health, then they don't really need to get rid of meat, they just need to moderate their meat consumption and eat plenty of other healthy food. Meat isn't unhealthy in moderate amounts, as part of a balanced diet.

Ok, thank you.

I personally can't relate to that, but it makes sense, I guess.

I also thought that meat, no matter how much, was somewhat unhealthy (due to the hormones and such)
#11 Old 02-19-2009, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

abyssinian, I guess I can't imagine being totally meat free.....at this point anyway. I love seafood and chicken, and beef I could totally give up. I understand that Americans especially eat too much protein, and it isn't all needed, so reducing the consumption is easy.

This is still all new to me, and it may very well be easier to make the transition than I think it is. My cousin and his family are vegetarians, so I thought I might hook up with them, and do some talking.

I appreciate the comments....I'll keep looking around on here though!

#12 Old 02-19-2009, 04:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with hunting around on the forum photojess and maybe you may decide to go veggie yet
#13 Old 02-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

It's always sad for the animals when people replace "red meat" with more chicken flesh. Not sure if it's happening here though, but anyway.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#14 Old 02-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

It's always sad for the animals when people replace "red meat" with more chicken flesh. Not sure if it's happening here though, but anyway.

Yeah, it is very sad.

Photojess-maybe by poking around here a while you will realize how much healthier it is to eliminate all meat.
#15 Old 02-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Jess,

You are certainly welcome here. Regarding not being able to give up meat, never say never! I'm the last person you would ever guess being vegetarian/near vegan but I felt better than ever physically, mentally, and spiritually since I stopped eating meat.

Just be open and listen to both your body and your conscience - they usually send the same signals.
#16 Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

abyssinian, I guess I can't imagine being totally meat free.....at this point anyway. I love seafood and chicken, and beef I could totally give up. I understand that Americans especially eat too much protein, and it isn't all needed, so reducing the consumption is easy.

This is still all new to me, and it may very well be easier to make the transition than I think it is. My cousin and his family are vegetarians, so I thought I might hook up with them, and do some talking.

I appreciate the comments....I'll keep looking around on here though!

Thank you for clearing it up for me. I personally think you'll be able to give it up if you give it a try...but it's up to you.
#17 Old 02-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran View Post

Just be open and listen to both your body and your conscience - they usually send the same signals.

#18 Old 02-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax13 View Post

Haha, yeah, Kiran's a lucky person indeed if this is true for him.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#19 Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Haha, yeah, Kiran's a lucky person indeed if this is true for him.

It works for all of us, the trick is to actually listen to what they are telling you.

Your body feels wrong eating meat while your conscience tells you that its not right.

You want to stay up all night to see that late night movie? Your body feels tired while your mind/conscience tells you you're going to pay dearly for it tomorrow.
#20 Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran View Post

My body just constantly sends turn signals. It's pretty frustrating for other people because they have to slow down and stop all the time.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#21 Old 02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Wasn't the main point of The China Study that, even though nearly every person participating in the study ate far less animal protein than the average American, the diseases he studied were still highly correlated to animal protein consumption? That even a tiny bit increases your chances of cancer and heart disease? I'm pretty sure the author advocates a vegan diet near the end.

Just sayin'
#22 Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

wow, thanks for all of the remarks. I didn't expect 1 1/2 pages when I came back to this. Willowriver, I haven't finished the book yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it ends. Dr Campbell and his whole family are all vegetarian now, after his research was completed. He made his dietary changes due to health reasons, and not animal rights.

thanks again....I am keeping an open mind....I need to find threads on replacement foods, so that's where I'm headed.....

#23 Old 02-19-2009, 05:22 PM

I just wanted to ask, you said something about animals rights in your first post that I didn't quite comprehend. You vaguely touched base about not going vegetarian because of the animal's rights issue, and that confused me. What's wrong with animals rights that you're against? Just asking, and not all vegetarians are for animals rights. Some are for health, like you were/are going for.
#24 Old 02-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desira View Post

I just wanted to ask, you said something about animals rights in your first post that I didn't quite comprehend. You vaguely touched base about not going vegetarian because of the animal's rights issue, and that confused me. What's wrong with animals rights that you're against? Just asking, and not all vegetarians are for animals rights. Some are for health, like you were/are going for.

I doubt it's that she's against animal rights per se, but rather that it's not a motivating factor. It wasn't for me (I was health and environment), even though it became important to me later.
#25 Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any issues with it, I was just stating my thoughts on it outright. I've read other boards with vegies on it that were die hard-animal rights people. I just wanted people to know that I was trying to make these changes for health reasons, not for my beliefs about how animals are treated. I was just trying to be honest from the get go, that's all.....it seemed to make a difference in how people were treated on other boards.

#26 Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM

It wasn't an attack, just a question, sorry if it came off like that.

I don't see why it should make a difference on how you're treated, personally I think everyone should be treated the same, but that might just be the ignorance of me being sixteen, considering that's not how the world works...
#27 Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

no problem at all! 16 huh? No, fourms can be nasty at times, depending on what boards you are on.

#28 Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

It depends entirely on the focus of the board in question as to how welcome a person will be, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Different forums to meet different needs.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#29 Old 02-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

This forum has not yet met my need, the reason why I joined. There are no photos of purple feet anywhere, so I'm not sure why I stick around

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#30 Old 02-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

that's funny, but looking at the avatar, maybe it's not????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page