How do you make oatmeal taste good? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2009, 02:26 PM

I've tried to like it. I really have. I know its good for you too. I just don't like oatmeal. My mom says I just might not like instant oatmeal. So, I decided I'm going to try it again, but this time I am looking for healthy additions to try to make it more palatable for me to eat.

Here are some different options I've come up with so far to add in to the oatmeal:

lite vanilla soymilk

dates

cinnamon

apples

raisins

agave nectar

berries

walnuts

bananas

Now I'm not going to add it all at once, and I am going to try my best to keep really healthy about it, but I figured this list might have some different combinations that I might actually like.

Anything you might suggest?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Banned

do you know what exactly you don't like about it? the texture? blandness? gloopiness?

instant oatmeal is a bit blah. i use rolled oats, and rice milk, and make it really really thick in a saucepan. then i let it cool down for a minute so that it firms up, put it into a cereal bowl, and then add some cold milk and stir it up just a bit, so that its got a bit of variety to the textures and temperatures. i like a sprinkle of salt, and a big drizzle of golden syrup, in it.

if you really still hate it, you could always get your oats in another way- like via oatcakes (like thick crackers, excellent with peanut butte and jam or chocolate spread on them) or flapjacks (like a trailmix/cereal bar type thing), etc.
#3 Old 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Try not to think of it as a breakfast-only thing. I'm making oat pilaf this coming weekend from a recipe I found at quaker oats. I'll post the recipe if it's any good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

do you know what exactly you don't like about it? the texture? blandness? gloopiness?

All of the above. Lol...

I'd be eager to find out about this oatmeal pilaf thing. Also... is there a recipe somewhere for oatmeal pancakes and oatcakes... or where to find them?

Thanks for the tips so far!
#5 Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

i buy my oatcakes in a packet, but i expect there is a recipe online somewhere. the flapjacks thing- something has been lost in translation there! english flapjacks are like big fat chewy oatmeal cookies, baked in a pan then cut into squares.

but there are loads of oaty things you can eat- oatmeal cookies, oat milk, etc.
#6 Old 01-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i buy my oatcakes in a packet, but i expect there is a recipe online somewhere. the flapjacks thing- something has been lost in translation there! english flapjacks are like big fat chewy oatmeal cookies, baked in a pan then cut into squares.

but there are loads of oaty things you can eat- oatmeal cookies, oat milk, etc.

I do like oatmeal cookies, so maybe I'd like these oatmeal flapjacks you speak of.... I didn't know there was a difference between flapjacks and pancakes. lol Silly me! I don't want to go all out with the oatmeal cookies, cause, well... they're cookies and I'm trying to be healthy about it.
#7 Old 01-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I have always disliked the slimy texture of oatmeal and I've tried to like it many times. I do like this hot multigrain cereal that Kashi makes. It has oats, but also brown rice, barley, buckwheat, winterwheat and rye. So maybe there are other hot grain cereals that you would prefer to oatmeal.
#8 Old 01-29-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBirds View Post

I have always disliked the slimy texture of oatmeal and I've tried to like it many times. I do like this hot multigrain cereal that Kashi makes. It has oats, but also brown rice, barley, buckwheat, winterwheat and rye. So maybe there are other hot grain cereals that you would prefer to oatmeal.

I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
#9 Old 01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

This is the recipe I'm going to make:

Oat Pilaf

I'll substitute veggie broth for the chicken.

I'm hoping it's a good recipe. I'm trying to find new ways to enjoy oatmeal myself.

Dig
#10 Old 01-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I use vanilla SoGood soymilk in my oats. I just use it cold, dump some oats in and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I add frozen berries, craisins, ground flaxseed, hempseed, banana, maybe a little bit of cinnamon. Not goopy this way!
#11 Old 01-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Oatmeal is one of my favorite foods! I love maple brown sugar oatmeal, although it is instant. If instant is too mushy or goopy for you, try using whole oats. They will make it a little thicker and coarser.
#12 Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelwing View Post

I use vanilla SoGood soymilk in my oats. I just use it cold, dump some oats in and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I add frozen berries, craisins, ground flaxseed, hempseed, banana, maybe a little bit of cinnamon. Not goopy this way!

sounds like muesli. mmmmm muesli!
#13 Old 01-29-2009, 03:53 PM

When I was little, my mom would make us runny oatmeal occasionally. It looked like vomit. ((bleah))

When I got older, I learned about different kinds of oats (jumbo are my fave, but steel cut are nice too) and discovered that you don't have to cook it to death. Now, I eat it often. Raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg are my staples (sometimes a bit of sugar too).

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#14 Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 PM

When I was little, my mom would make us runny oatmeal occasionally. It looked like vomit. ((bleah))

When I got older, I learned about different kinds of oats (jumbo are my fave, but steel cut are nice too) and discovered that you don't have to cook it to death. Now, I eat it often. Raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg are my staples (sometimes a bit of sugar too).

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#15 Old 01-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Definately stay away from instant oatmeal when it comes to texture...and sugar!! Regular old fashioned oats(not quick oats) are the best when it comes to less slimy, goopyness. You can always change the amount of water you add to help change the texture a bit. If all else fails, make granola!
#16 Old 01-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

The way I make oatmeal is super tasty!

Use large flake oats (not any of that super fine sandy type)

1)Add however much oats you eat into a bowl.

2)Pour in some luke warm water on top barely over the level of the oats (dont over fill)

3)Pop that into your microwave for 2:30 minutes.

The water should be all gone if you didnt add too much.

4)Add a generous amount of cinnamon.

5)Add some raisons.

6)Pour in some soy milk and mix. Dont add too much soy milk! You should be able to stick your spoon in the middle and have it stay upright.

7)Slice a banana and throw it in there. Mix

8)Add soy milk if too dry.

9)Eat!

I have this every morning and i love it!

The banana in the oatmeal warms up and semi cooks inside... Its super tasty.
#17 Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I prefer Steel Cut Oats. They take longer to cook, but they are totally worth it. I make mine like this:

1 cup steel cut oats

4 cups water

2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced

1/2 cup (or more) raisins

In a large pot, bring ingredients to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low, partially cover the pot and simmer until oats are tender (at least 30 minutes). In the last 10 minutes or so of cooking, I add about 1/4 teaspoon Mace, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of ground cloves.

Before serving, I will generally pour about 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk on top and stir lightly. Sometimes I drizzle a little blackstrap molasses on top (I do NOT recommend this for a molasses neophyte).

Now, I'm trying to lose weight, so I'm not eating much sugar or fat. But this is would most likely be very good with some sugar or agave mixed in, and I know it's good with some margarine instead of or in addition to the soy milk.
#18 Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Instant oatmeal is definitely like eating wallpaper paste. I don't recommend it. My favorite are steel cut oats, as MRSSHF has mentioned, but if I'm too lazy to make them, I like "old fashioned" rolled oats which have the most texture out of the rolled oats.

I always cook them with rice milk (in the case of steel cut, I cook them in water for a while until they're soft, then add milk in at the end), and I put in blackstrap molasses, cinnamon, and a little vanilla extract. Then I top with some fruit (berries, diced apple, diced banana) and some toasted chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, cashews), a drizzle of maple syrup, and it's oatmeal heaven!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#19 Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 PM

I haven't read the other comments so forgive if this has already been suggested . I agree that it may be you not liking instant oats.

I hate instant oats but love regular rolled oats. I also like steel cut oats, completely different texture you may prefer.

My favorite ways to eat oats...

1. I like to make them with water and NO SALT (I never add salt, dislike the taste of it added) and when they're hot I put cold unsweetened applesauce on top.

2. I like it cooked in chocolate rice milk, then when its hot I add a spoonful of natural peanut butter. 3. I add a little vanilla extract while its cooking, the real stuff not imitation, then when its done I add cinnamon and chopped walnuts

#20 Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 PM

Ok, I got some steel cut oats... that doesn't look like oatmeal to me... but hey, what do I know. I'll let you all know tomorrow how I do. I got some figs and walnuts to put in it too... oh, and vanilla soy milk. I meant to get bananas, but I forgot. Next time... if all goes well. Thanks to all for your suggestions. Keep them coming... who knows, this may become my favorite meal and I'll need many ways to make it.
#21 Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I add (not all at once, LMAO!): peanut butter, soymilk, maple syrup, brown sugar, bananas, raisins, strawberries and other berries. When strawberries are in season, my favorite breakfast on earth is oatmeal cooked with soymilk, with maple syrup stirred in and strawberries on top... nothing better.
#22 Old 01-29-2009, 08:29 PM

I hated oatmeal. Loathed it. Then someone on here suggested peanut butter. I was dubious, very dubious. But hey, what the heck, right?

Oh. My. God. To quote Homer Simpson, "This must be what *angels* taste like!"

My super-fantastic recipe:

1/2 c regular (not instant) oats and 1/4 c raisins, simmered about 5-10 minutes in 1 1/4 c water. Transfer to bowl, then add 2 T maple syrup (has to be the real stuff ... pancake syrup does not cut it!) and 2 T peanut butter (adjust as necessary -- I like lots of each, but some people like less). Stir well.

Mmmmmmmmmmm................
#23 Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you put oatmeal into a smoothie? I wonder what that would be like.
#24 Old 01-29-2009, 09:30 PM

I am sooo with ya....I have tried everything and just cant stand the stuff...Hope you find some combo that works for you
#25 Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

i still dont love oatmeal as a hot cereal, but i loooove to put it into baked goods, i actually love the chewy texture in certain things....like muffins, i will quickly process some quick cook oats and sub them for some of the flour in the recipe. I think its esp good in banana muffins.

You can add some of the same processed oats to waffle or pancake batter. (again, sub for some of the flour)

Digger...dont try it in a smoothie, i understand it is NOT GOOD. lol.

and i hear the way to avoid mushy oatmeal is to start cooking them in HOT liquid (water or milk/water)...add the oats when it boils, then turn down heat. Anyone do it this way?
#26 Old 01-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Can you put oatmeal into a smoothie? I wonder what that would be like.

Wallpaper paste. I once bought a package of instant oats (more like powdered oats, I should have been warned as there was a baby on the cover), because it said you could add these to juice uhm, no. Well, you can, but eeewww. Definitely not for anyone who dislikes slimy or gloopy texture.

I prefer (rolled) oats in müesli (esp. with grated apple and nuts in it, now of course using rice or almond milk instead of cream). Or as a porridge, like others already have described. Groats (steel cut oats) rather in savory dishes, stuffings for bell peppers, etc. though prepared with dried fruit and nuts theyre fine too, especially as a filling wintertime breakfast.

Sometimes, I bake a batch of oat bars adapted from this simple recipe (I like to add hemp seeds and diced dried apricots). They sure dont look spectacular, but are quite convenient as a quick breakfast or snack, and freeze well too.

Rosemary Oat Cakes are another savory recipe for oats which I recently found. They taste pretty good with veggies, salads or soup.
#27 Old 01-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Banned

Another vote for steel cut oats. But you can cook them in a slow cooker/crockpot overnight so you wake up to a hot breakfast ready to go.

I put pickled jalapenos and/or tabasco sauce and a little salt in my oatmeal. Great way to start the day.
#28 Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 AM

CHOCOLATE FUDGE PORRIDGE! It's sugar free and full of oaty goodness.

Basically I make porridge (just with oats and soya milk, not the instant stuff. Oats are much cheaper and nicer, though not massively different) add a nice drizzling of date syrup and plenty of cocoa, and usually throw some chopped dates or raisins in there too. It tastes like fudge but isn't sugary or fatty.

And it's so filling!
#29 Old 01-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Beginner

Hahaha, I have to share this.

I hated oatmeal all my life, until I was in my "party stage" of life. One day, I was in...ahem...a state other than normal, and I had a huge case of the...desire to consume large quantities of any kind of food available. :\\

Anyway, the only thing we had in our kitchen at the time was instant oatmeal. I've loved it ever since.

I add brown sugar and raisins and I don't put as much water in it so it'll be a bit drier. And I never order it at a restaurant because they always screw it up.

Oh, and +1 for steel-cut oatmeal. It's the very best.
#30 Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellparadiso View Post

Hahaha, I have to share this.

I hated oatmeal all my life, until I was in my "party stage" of life. One day, I was in...ahem...a state other than normal, and I had a huge case of the...desire to consume large quantities of any kind of food available. :\\

Anyway, the only thing we had in our kitchen at the time was instant oatmeal. I've loved it ever since.

I add brown sugar and raisins and I don't put as much water in it so it'll be a bit drier. And I never order it at a restaurant because they always screw it up.

Oh, and +1 for steel-cut oatmeal. It's the very best.

Are you suggesting bedroom activities to go along with oatmeal, or am I misunderstood? lmao!! Or get a big hangover and grab yourself a bowl!? LOL!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page