How do you make oatmeal taste good? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

Are you suggesting bedroom activities to go along with oatmeal, or am I misunderstood?

I tried that once, but he never called me back after that night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

steal cut oats!

But I don't buy that. I only eat it at my mother's because she makes it. I buy the big tub of oats.... I cook however much I want in water (I've never tried it in milk... apparently you can do it?) and add big fat walnuts, sliced banana, and some maple syrup. If I feel like it I might sprinkle a little raw sugar on top because it's chunky and it looks cute.

The Chocolate porridge sounds good!

Oh and you can use rice if you want. Take about 6 cups of water and boil it and add 1 1/4 cups of brown rice then simmer covered until it's a porridge. Usually wait an hour and a half then stir for another half hour. Put water you want in it after that. shredded coconut, sunflower seeds, banana, raisins..
#33 Old 01-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I like oatmeal, but the old-fashioned kind has a nicer texture- a bit chewy, not like thick wallpaper-paste. Actually I've never tried to eat wallpaper paste so I'm not totally sure about that last... but the instant- or quick-cooking oats are definitely very mushy. My local health food co-op has about 4 different kinds of oats- thick cut and thin, organic or not. The thick-cut oats are a bit chewier and I prefer them, but lately they've been harder to digest I think.

Quick-cooking oats might be less pasty if you try bringing an amount of water equal to the measure of oats you're using to a boil, dumping in the oats, bringing to a boil again, covering the pan, and turning off the heat. (If you're using an electric range you might want to make sure it doesn't boil over after you turn the heat off)

All the things you're planning to add to the oats are great ideas. Cardamom powder is nice too; some people might like ginger.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Just put lots of fruits in it. I put pineapples this morning. I used strawberries the other day. And mangos recently. I have not tried this, but maple syrup may do the trick. Real maple syrup is very rich so you won't need much!
#35 Old 01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, there are so many great ideas!! I usually just make oatmeal with water, lots of cinnamon, some splenda (the vanilla flavored is really good), and a dash of salt. BORING!! Oh, and sometimes I add a banana.

But, now that I have had some inspiration, maybe I'll get a little bit more creative. Peanut butter with the banana would probably be very yummy!
#36 Old 01-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I like some Earth Balance, maple syrup & cinnamon on mine.
#37 Old 01-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I tried that once, but he never called me back after that night.

#38 Old 01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamandura View Post

Are you suggesting bedroom activities to go along with oatmeal, or am I misunderstood? lmao!! Or get a big hangover and grab yourself a bowl!? LOL!!

I'm not suggesting anything!!! And I swear I never inhaled!!!

Seriously, I'm advocating nothing here, just saying that my love of oatmeal came about because of a desperate situation.
#39 Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Raisins, rice milk, and peanut butter. Yummy and filling
#40 Old 01-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlissy View Post

Also... is there a recipe somewhere for oatmeal pancakes

I made oatmeal pancakes not so long back...can't remember the quantities but basically oatmeal and soya milk. just add milk until it's not runny and not thick...just pourable.

lovely.

i never use flour in pancakes.

i like them with lemon juice and a tiny bit of sugar.
#41 Old 01-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post

CHOCOLATE FUDGE PORRIDGE! It's sugar free and full of oaty goodness.

Basically I make porridge (just with oats and soya milk, not the instant stuff. Oats are much cheaper and nicer, though not massively different) add a nice drizzling of date syrup and plenty of cocoa, and usually throw some chopped dates or raisins in there too. It tastes like fudge but isn't sugary or fatty.

And it's so filling!

Date syrup is still sugar, and there's a ton of sugars in dates and raisins -- so while it's less refined sugar, I wouldn't suggest it wasn't sugary and feed it to a diabetic under the guise of it being "sugar free"

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#42 Old 01-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

does oatmeal have to be cooked?
#43 Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

If you don't like it don't eat it. It's not the only thing in the world to eat.
#44 Old 01-30-2009, 09:11 PM

I like steel cut oats but they take a while to cook (30-45 minutes)

But they cook well in the crockpot.

1 part Steel Cut Oats (1cup)

to

4 parts liquid (4 cups of water or milk of your choice. I use 2 cups of water and 2 cups of rice milk. I tried juice, but didn't really like it)

I add a whole cinnamon stick, but you can experiment.

Cook on low 6 to 8 hours (overnight)

In the morning the smell wakes you up and breakfast is ready. Sweeten to your taste. Has a nuttier taste than regular oatmeal. Buy from those bulk containers at the grocery store is the cheapest way. Pre-packaged brands are expensive.

You can put extra in the frig. Re-heats nice.

Oh- tends to stick to crockpot. You can try spraying with Pam. I just soak the crock all day and scrub it when I get home.
#45 Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 PM

Being from the south I really prefer Grits. If you are from another part of the country or world, it is corn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

traditionally they are seasoned with butter, cheese, ham....yea, well...I prefer mine with Olive oil and a salt/pepper to taste.
#46 Old 01-31-2009, 01:22 PM

Mmmmm! I just tried it. Steel cut oatmeal with chopped figs and walnuts in it. Fantastic! Thank you all for your suggestions. I can see me getting hooked on this. I also got a mix of oats, rye, triticale, barley and golden flax that I'm going to try. Oops! I forgot the vanilla soy milk... next time!
#47 Old 02-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^

I just tried steel-cut oats with Ethiopian berbere spice mix and canned chopped tomatoes (added after cooking).
#48 Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil View Post

Actually, no. Theres a Swiss breakfast called Muesli. I think you just soak a certain amount of rolled oats and other things in a certain amount of water overnight, but I tried it once and didnt care much for it. I think the overnight soak was too long. Or I might have tried it with instant oats. Maybe Ill look up a recipe and try it with thick-cut oats.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#49 Old 02-02-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil View Post

You can eat it however you want. I like to put some oats in a coffee grinder and add the powder to my smoothies. I just swirl the glass around to mix it up (they sometimes sink) and drink away. You can also make muesli!
#50 Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

There's some kind of no-bake cookies that you can make with chocolate, peanut butter, and raw oats. I'm sure there's some more ingredients but nope, you don't have to cook oats. But I like them cooked.
#51 Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM

I'm digging the crockpot idea some of you had for the steel cut oats. I tried my mixed oats this morning, while good I really like the steel cut oats better. I can't believe I like oatmeal! You all have such great ideas, I'd have to eat oatmeal for breakfast, lunch and dinner just to try them all... well, maybe that is an exaggeration.... but you get my point right? You all rock!
#52 Old 02-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've tried to like it. I really have. I know its good for you too. I just don't like oatmeal. My mom says I just might not like instant oatmeal. So, I decided I'm going to try it again, but this time I am looking for healthy additions to try to make it more palatable for me to eat.

Here are some different options I've come up with so far to add in to the oatmeal:

lite vanilla soymilk

dates

cinnamon

apples

raisins

agave nectar

berries

walnuts

bananas

Now I'm not going to add it all at once, and I am going to try my best to keep really healthy about it, but I figured this list might have some different combinations that I might actually like.

Anything you might suggest?

I out Banana's in mine I don't know, Maybe if you put apples and Cinnamon in there?

^Cool story, bro
#53 Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I make multi-grain instant oatmeal according to the packet instructions and then and 1/4 cup of applesauce. Delicious!
#54 Old 02-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Well, I tried to make the english oatcakes, and I discovered a really good way to make granola- do the sugar, but instead of butter use olive oil, toss in dried fruit and oatmeal and bake for 15 mins. It's like crack, but somewhat healthier
#55 Old 03-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

add peanut butter and or cinnamon.
#56 Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD0005 View Post

Being from the south I really prefer Grits....I prefer mine with Olive oil and a salt/pepper to taste.

yum, i'm going to have to try the olive oil in place of margarine.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#57 Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Instant oatmeal is definitely like eating wallpaper paste.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
#58 Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I've tried to like it. I really have. I know its good for you too. I just don't like oatmeal. My mom says I just might not like instant oatmeal. So, I decided I'm going to try it again, but this time I am looking for healthy additions to try to make it more palatable for me to eat.

Here are some different options I've come up with so far to add in to the oatmeal:

lite vanilla soymilk

dates

cinnamon

apples

raisins

agave nectar

berries

walnuts

bananas

Now I'm not going to add it all at once, and I am going to try my best to keep really healthy about it, but I figured this list might have some different combinations that I might actually like.

Anything you might suggest?

i just started

i love oatmeal

those suggestions are great!
#59 Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Beginner

Okay, so today is my first day of giving up sugar...I thought I'd try Scots oatmeal. I made a batch of the stuff (the tiny pellet slow cook kind, Bob's Red Mill) beforehand with flax and pea protein and let it get the consistency of spackle in the fridge. Then I sliced off some and mixed it with soymilk (Silk enhanced with DHA) and some butter flavor I got from a company which was supposed to be vegan, zapped it for 4 minutes in the microwave, and added salt and black pepper.

I thought it would suck because I never could conceive of it without brown sugar or intense flavors like garlic, but...

OMG.

My inner Scot is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy.

Who thought something so simple and bland could taste SOOOOOOO wonderful????

I didn't want it to end.

Since I have no money ever to visit Scotland, I extended my virtual visit with some Earl Grey tea mixed with Dragon Well green tea.

I don't think I'll ever eat it sweet again. What was very strange was I got hints of flavor that tasted EXACTLY like my other favorite food, which I can't eat anymore, Kraft Mac and Cheese.

I haven't had this much of a food orgasm since I discovered Tex Mex (i.e., velvety Pinto beans...) when I got married about 30 years ago.

Highly recommended.

f
#60 Old 03-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned

I add stevia and strawberry soy milk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page