what is "kosher Gelatin" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Beginner

I was eating a low fat yogurt with green apples and i was reading the ingedenets and i saw "kosher" gelitan? I know Gel its made from bones but does the kosher stuff isn't made from bones???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

it is made from bones.
#3 Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, chances are its made from fish bones or cow hide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I had the same experience with yogurt. A little internet research proved that it was still made of the same nasty stuff. Sorry.

However, certainly not all yogurt contains gelatin. Next time you go shopping maybe you can find a new one to try.
#5 Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I had the same experience with yogurt. A little internet research proved that it was still made of the same nasty stuff. Sorry.

However, certainly not all yogurt contains gelatin. Next time you go shopping maybe you can find a new one to try.
#6 Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen that but I was under the impression that kosher gelatin was plant-based. I thought 'traditional' (animal-derived) gelatin couldn't be kosher...
#7 Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Hide and fish bones aren't counted as flesh, so its considered kosher. However yes it can also be made from plants, so its a game of Russian roulette.

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/faq.htm#kosher
#8 Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Kosher gelatin is fish derived.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Try checking different brands, particularly the store brand. We get the Meijer brand with fruit and it doesn't have gelatin.

Or you can buy plain yogurt and add your own fruit. As far as I know it's almost exclusively the yogurt with fruit that has gelatin.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Gelatin comes from animal by products. The animal it comes from can vary, and sometimes you can see the information on the ingredients list of a product, such as "bovine gelatin" or "pork gelatine". Kosher gelatin cannot be made from pigs, and is usually made from fish (as RC said), or sometimes from animals other than pigs.

There is a form of gelatin that can be plant-derived, however, the term "gelatin" in packaged products refers to animal gelatin.
#11 Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

Gelatin comes from animal by products. The animal it comes from can vary, and sometimes you can see the information on the ingredients list of a product, such as "bovine gelatin" or "pork gelatine". Kosher gelatin cannot be made from pigs, and is usually made from fish (as RC said), or sometimes from animals other than pigs.

There is a form of gelatin that can be plant-derived, however, the term "gelatin" in packaged products refers to animal gelatin.

If it was bovine gelatin though it couldn't be in yogurt because you can't mix meat and dairy, and it would be considered meat... and yogurt is, of course, dairy.

I'm pretty sure Stoneyfield Farms yogurts are gelatin free. I also read somewhere that as far as national chain dairies go, they rank fairly high in decent treatment of their animals.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Beginner

I found Soy yogurt its tasty!!!
#13 Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 AM

"Kosher" is just referring to the manner in which animals are killed and the rule I believe is that a rabbi must be involved in approving that method. Agriprocessors was one of the larger kosher slaughterhouses but their methods were definitely not kind.
#14 Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 PM

I am sure that it is derived from either animals and/or fish. Although according to Jewish Law you are not suppose to mix meat and dairy, you can mix fish and dairy ("you can't put the calf in the mother's milk"). Plus, I think it is a lot more technical when it comes to using things from animals that are not "meat". As someone said earlier, if it says "kosher gelatin" it really just means that it is not pork based.

Personally, after doing research on Kashrut (kosher law) and vegetarianism, I believe that you cannot really be kosher in today's society and still eat meat (in Judaism it is believed that you have to honor the animals and therefore must kill them in a "humane way" as well as honor their life, and do so as seldom as possible - today's practices and slaughterhouses simply don't do this). I could go on about this for a long time, but I will save it for another thread!
#15 Old 01-15-2009, 05:34 PM

I am a vegetarian that eats no animal products other than honey so I eat tofu yogurt. My wife however is a lavo-octo vegetarian and eats yogurt in smoothies all the time. The one yogurt that she could find that was free of gelatin is Horizon Organic. She says that it’s pretty good. Perhaps try that instead?
#16 Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

Low fat yogurt? Eat Organic yogurt instead.
#17 Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm pretty sure Stoneyfield Farms yogurts are gelatin free. I also read somewhere that as far as national chain dairies go, they rank fairly high in decent treatment of their animals.

I checked a label for Stoneyfield Farms yogurt today and I can confirm it is gelatin-free. It seems only Yoplait and Dannon add gelatin to their yogurts. It's a shame they're the most popular brands.
#18 Old 01-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Beginner

Umm. cool i'l try that i know this is different but i bought some of the Stoneyfeilds Ice cream yester day but i don't think it has geletain in it.
#19 Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey birthday buddy. That's awesome that you like soy yogurt While I definitely encourage vegan yumminess, if you are wanting the cows milk version, Trader Joe's has an excellent Organic one. I used to eat the lemon yogurt almost daily until I gave it up... texture issue with me (not this particular brand, all yogurts). Here's what it looks like:

#20 Old 01-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Stoneyfield Farms yogurt is gelatin-free. They have organic varieties, too. I buy it in bulk at BJ's, but I've seen it in most supermarkets.
#21 Old 01-23-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazikeen View Post

Exactly what I was gonna say

Peace love and happiness

jenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page