Smoothies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I wanted to start making smoothies for breakfast and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to put in them. I really don't eat enough green veggies, so I should probably put some of those. I'm trying to lose weight and I run and do some crunches and sit-ups and the like, but I don't weight train or whatnot so I didn't know if I needed that protein powder or not. And maybe something for B-12? And Omega 3's? I have no idea what to do. Sorry, I'm new. Ideas? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM

chocolate soy milk, kale, half a banana and protein powder....oh, and some ice, maybe a tablespoon of pb too
#3 Old 01-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

My favorite is: a banana, frozen berries, pineapple and kale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Administrator

You can add spinach to any smoothie. It takes quite a bit to affect the taste.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks!
#6 Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I heard beets are good in smoothies. I don't think they would add much taste either. I'd recommend corrots too! They're nice and sweet.
#7 Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 AM

I always add some wheat grass to my smoothies. I can get wheat grass shots at a farmers market down the street from me. They make it fresh and freeze it for me. I think there is powdered stuff you can find somewhere too. But as most things go, its better fresher.
#8 Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 PM

I never thought to put spinach in a smoothie. I'll have to try that. Usually I just put frozen fruit and bananas in mine.
#9 Old 01-13-2009, 06:11 PM

does anyone know if the fruit smoothies made by Boathouse are healthy?
#10 Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 AM

putting avocadoes in is really good as well. it has a smooth, creamy texture and neutral taste so it doesnt affect your smoothie much at all but is a good protein source.

i've heard avocado + chocolate (chocolate powder?) is really good too... i was gonna make it the other day but didnt have any chocolate so i put some vanilla chai instead and it was ok (along with fruits and almond milk).. i wouldnt do that again tho lol.
#11 Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

When I first got my blender, I made a bunch of smoothies and I didn't like any of them. I haven't really used my blender in a while now :/

So don't get down if you don't like something, just keep toying with it. I guess I just didn't have the patience
#12 Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Banned

I like to put a tablespoon or two of ground flax seed in my smoothies. A tablespoon of peanut butter works well, too, especially in banana smoothies. I love peanut butter and bananas together.
#13 Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

The one Michael suggested I try and I've been using most is OJ, frozen berries, spinach, and kale. If I have a banana, some parsley, ginger, flax, or beets I'll throw in one or more of those ingredients too.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#14 Old 01-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

My smoothies are usually:

Banana

Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, goji berries)

Greens (most likely spinach)

Water

Chia Seeds

Hemp Seeds

Raw Cacao Nibs

Green superfood powder

It tastes pretty good too!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#15 Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I"m usually a frozen fruit/"milk"/yogurt/tofu sort of smoothie girl. If I have soy protein powder I will add that if I'm using juice instead of "milk" or tofu...I'll add ground flax if I have it.

I never thought about putting veggies in...I'll have to try that.
#16 Old 01-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

I love peanut butter and bananas together.

Me too! I put smushed up bananas and peanut butter in my oatmeal sometimes.
#17 Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

My smoothies are usually:

Banana

Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, goji berries)

Greens (most likely spinach)

Water

Chia Seeds

Hemp Seeds

Raw Cacao Nibs

Green superfood powder

It tastes pretty good too!

This sounds amazing!
#18 Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubimiller View Post

chocolate soy milk, kale, half a banana and protein powder....oh, and some ice, maybe a tablespoon of pb too

Thats me too...

Chocolate or Vanilla Soy Milk....Protein Powder in many flavors like choc/vanilla/pb pina colada...ect...ice cubes and sometimes a fruit like a banana....yummerific...and filling so I am not munching all day.

Peace Love and Good Karma

Jenn
#19 Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1100 View Post

putting avocadoes in is really good as well. it has a smooth, creamy texture and neutral taste so it doesnt affect your smoothie much at all but is a good protein source.

i've heard avocado + chocolate (chocolate powder?) is really good too... i was gonna make it the other day but didnt have any chocolate so i put some vanilla chai instead and it was ok (along with fruits and almond milk).. i wouldnt do that again tho lol.

i have never thought to do that before!

Avocados my favourite food mmmmm

Do you think avocado and vanilla would go alright?

Im not a fan of chocolate

I always make chai smoothies

And usually a tiny amount of flaxseed oil goes good in them
#20 Old 01-20-2009, 11:00 PM

Some other things I add to my smoothies if I have it is a tablespoon of psyllum husk powder, flax seeds/flax seed oil and/or bitumus (sp?) clay. None of these has ever had an impact on taste, although it can thicken it up a little bit, so increasing the liquid in the smoothie might be advisable. I have a smoothie container that has a little mixer thing in the top so when you shake it up it really mixes it. This definately helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegirl26 View Post

does anyone know if the fruit smoothies made by Boathouse are healthy?

Boathouse or Bolthouse? I've had the Bolthouse Farms ones and they are pretty healthy as far as I know. Check out their products and judge for yourself:

http://www.bolthouse.com/

I could just drink them all day. My favorites are the Green Goodness and the Strawberry Banana smoothie... the other ones I could do without.

I only get these every once and a while. My homemade smoothies turn out just as good and are cheaper in the long run and its cool to have a freshly made smoothie from fresh ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1100 View Post

I'm going to have to add some avocado to my smoothie tomorrow. Great idea!
#21 Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I add flaxseed...and cinnamon to my smoothies...

Never put spinach in them before, though. Sounds good. Does it work with canned spinach?
#22 Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajamajes View Post

I wanted to start making smoothies for breakfast and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to put in them. I really don't eat enough green veggies, so I should probably put some of those. I'm trying to lose weight and I run and do some crunches and sit-ups and the like, but I don't weight train or whatnot so I didn't know if I needed that protein powder or not. And maybe something for B-12? And Omega 3's? I have no idea what to do. Sorry, I'm new. Ideas? TIA!

I actually used to manage a smoothie shop so I love them!

What kinds of fruits do you like? let me know and then I can come up with some ideas for you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page