VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Transitioning to Vegetarian (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/57-transitioning-vegetarian/)
-   -   Smoothies (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/57-transitioning-vegetarian/93025-smoothies.html)

pajamajes 01-12-2009 08:44 PM

I wanted to start making smoothies for breakfast and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to put in them. I really don't eat enough green veggies, so I should probably put some of those. I'm trying to lose weight and I run and do some crunches and sit-ups and the like, but I don't weight train or whatnot so I didn't know if I needed that protein powder or not. And maybe something for B-12? And Omega 3's? I have no idea what to do. Sorry, I'm new. Ideas? TIA!

lubimiller 01-12-2009 09:40 PM

chocolate soy milk, kale, half a banana and protein powder....oh, and some ice, maybe a tablespoon of pb too

3LittleBirds 01-13-2009 03:33 AM

My favorite is: a banana, frozen berries, pineapple and kale

Michael 01-13-2009 07:41 AM

You can add spinach to any smoothie. It takes quite a bit to affect the taste.

pajamajes 01-13-2009 10:07 AM

Thanks!

Abyssinian 01-13-2009 10:27 AM

I heard beets are good in smoothies. I don't think they would add much taste either. I'd recommend corrots too! They're nice and sweet.

justlissy 01-13-2009 10:39 AM

I always add some wheat grass to my smoothies. I can get wheat grass shots at a farmers market down the street from me. They make it fresh and freeze it for me. I think there is powdered stuff you can find somewhere too. But as most things go, its better fresher.

Hats 01-13-2009 12:07 PM

I never thought to put spinach in a smoothie. I'll have to try that. Usually I just put frozen fruit and bananas in mine.

Nicegirl26 01-13-2009 06:11 PM

does anyone know if the fruit smoothies made by Boathouse are healthy?

i1100 01-15-2009 01:35 AM

putting avocadoes in is really good as well. it has a smooth, creamy texture and neutral taste so it doesnt affect your smoothie much at all but is a good protein source.

i've heard avocado + chocolate (chocolate powder?) is really good too... i was gonna make it the other day but didnt have any chocolate so i put some vanilla chai instead and it was ok (along with fruits and almond milk).. i wouldnt do that again tho lol.

cstadt 01-15-2009 06:26 AM

When I first got my blender, I made a bunch of smoothies and I didn't like any of them. I haven't really used my blender in a while now :/

So don't get down if you don't like something, just keep toying with it. I guess I just didn't have the patience

PTree15 01-15-2009 08:50 AM

I like to put a tablespoon or two of ground flax seed in my smoothies. A tablespoon of peanut butter works well, too, especially in banana smoothies. I love peanut butter and bananas together.

vigilant20 01-15-2009 08:58 AM

The one Michael suggested I try and I've been using most is OJ, frozen berries, spinach, and kale. If I have a banana, some parsley, ginger, flax, or beets I'll throw in one or more of those ingredients too.

Doktormartini 01-15-2009 09:30 AM

My smoothies are usually:

Banana

Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, goji berries)

Greens (most likely spinach)

Water

Chia Seeds

Hemp Seeds

Raw Cacao Nibs

Green superfood powder

It tastes pretty good too!

heidiny77 01-15-2009 09:40 AM

I"m usually a frozen fruit/"milk"/yogurt/tofu sort of smoothie girl. If I have soy protein powder I will add that if I'm using juice instead of "milk" or tofu...I'll add ground flax if I have it.

I never thought about putting veggies in...I'll have to try that.

pajamajes 01-15-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

I love peanut butter and bananas together.

Me too! I put smushed up bananas and peanut butter in my oatmeal sometimes.

pajamajes 01-16-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

My smoothies are usually:

Banana

Berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, goji berries)

Greens (most likely spinach)

Water

Chia Seeds

Hemp Seeds

Raw Cacao Nibs

Green superfood powder

It tastes pretty good too!

This sounds amazing!

GhostUser 01-20-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubimiller View Post

chocolate soy milk, kale, half a banana and protein powder....oh, and some ice, maybe a tablespoon of pb too

Thats me too...

Chocolate or Vanilla Soy Milk....Protein Powder in many flavors like choc/vanilla/pb pina colada...ect...ice cubes and sometimes a fruit like a banana....yummerific...and filling so I am not munching all day.

Peace Love and Good Karma

Jenn

BostonSG 01-20-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1100 View Post

putting avocadoes in is really good as well. it has a smooth, creamy texture and neutral taste so it doesnt affect your smoothie much at all but is a good protein source.

i've heard avocado + chocolate (chocolate powder?) is really good too... i was gonna make it the other day but didnt have any chocolate so i put some vanilla chai instead and it was ok (along with fruits and almond milk).. i wouldnt do that again tho lol.

i have never thought to do that before!

Avocados my favourite food mmmmm

Do you think avocado and vanilla would go alright?

Im not a fan of chocolate

I always make chai smoothies

And usually a tiny amount of flaxseed oil goes good in them

justlissy 01-20-2009 11:00 PM

Some other things I add to my smoothies if I have it is a tablespoon of psyllum husk powder, flax seeds/flax seed oil and/or bitumus (sp?) clay. None of these has ever had an impact on taste, although it can thicken it up a little bit, so increasing the liquid in the smoothie might be advisable. I have a smoothie container that has a little mixer thing in the top so when you shake it up it really mixes it. This definately helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicegirl26 View Post

does anyone know if the fruit smoothies made by Boathouse are healthy?

Boathouse or Bolthouse? I've had the Bolthouse Farms ones and they are pretty healthy as far as I know. Check out their products and judge for yourself:

http://www.bolthouse.com/

I could just drink them all day. My favorites are the Green Goodness and the Strawberry Banana smoothie... the other ones I could do without.

I only get these every once and a while. My homemade smoothies turn out just as good and are cheaper in the long run and its cool to have a freshly made smoothie from fresh ingredients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i1100 View Post

I'm going to have to add some avocado to my smoothie tomorrow. Great idea!

SunVamp 01-27-2009 10:27 PM

I add flaxseed...and cinnamon to my smoothies...

Never put spinach in them before, though. Sounds good. Does it work with canned spinach?

GhostUser 02-02-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajamajes View Post

I wanted to start making smoothies for breakfast and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to put in them. I really don't eat enough green veggies, so I should probably put some of those. I'm trying to lose weight and I run and do some crunches and sit-ups and the like, but I don't weight train or whatnot so I didn't know if I needed that protein powder or not. And maybe something for B-12? And Omega 3's? I have no idea what to do. Sorry, I'm new. Ideas? TIA!

I actually used to manage a smoothie shop so I love them!

What kinds of fruits do you like? let me know and then I can come up with some ideas for you