wearing leather - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-06-2008, 12:55 PM

hi,

i just recently went vegitarian. i have a leather jacket i got as a gift a month or two prior to making this decision . I wear it and justify that by thinking that if i dont wear it and let it go to waste the cow would have died in vein and buy wearing it im not creating any more of a demand for the leather because its already been purchased. do you agree with this or am i just being hypocritical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-06-2008, 01:00 PM

i agree with your logic! it would be wasted otherwise or someone else would just wear it. i suppose the only downfall is that you are a walking advertisement for leather. by wearing it you are making a statement that it is appropriate to buy a leather jacket when we can really get away without leather jackets now a days.

going off on a tangent now... this is making me curious about the chemicals etc. involved in leather production and their impact on the environment... hmmm...
#3 Old 12-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

You're not necessarily being hypocritical, but you are creating demand for leather when other people see you wearing it and want one too.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaellaola View Post

going off on a tangent now... this is making me curious about the chemicals etc. involved in leather production and their impact on the environment... hmmm...

The leather industry creates as much, if not more, environmental damage as the plastic industry. The idea that leather shoes and such are better for the environment than vegan shoes is bogus.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#5 Old 12-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

You're not necessarily being hypocritical, but you are creating demand for leather when other people see you wearing it and want one too.

Perhaps, but you could say the same thing about faux leather.
#6 Old 12-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Veggie Regular

True, which is why a lot of vegans I know online won't wear fake leather stuff either.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#7 Old 12-06-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:

The leather industry creates as much, if not more, environmental damage as the plastic industry. The idea that leather shoes and such are better for the environment than vegan shoes is bogus.

wouldnt leather be worse because of what maintaining the cattle does to the environment?
#8 Old 12-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, that's a big factor. There's a lot of toxic chemical waste produced in the tanning process as well.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 12-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:

True, which is why a lot of vegans I know online won't wear fake leather stuff either.

That's an interesting point. I'd never have considered it, though at the same time I don't think I've ever had a strong desire to have a leather or faux leather jacket. Definitely never had a desire for fur either, fake or real.
#10 Old 12-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Pereira View Post

That's an interesting point. I'd never have considered it, though at the same time I don't think I've ever had a strong desire to have a leather or faux leather jacket. Definitely never had a desire for fur either, fake or real.

I think its a practicality issue for some. I have shoes that look like leather, and I need certain shoes to be waterproof and protective in winter, so its hard to avoid leather lookalikes. I can't say I have an urge for a fake leather or fur coat myself, but I wouldn't condemn someone else for wanting one. A person who likes to ride motorcycles for instance would need something that had the strength and hence the appearance of leather for their own protection.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#11 Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uproar View Post

hi,

i just recently went vegitarian.

Congratulations, by the way!

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#12 Old 12-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Unless you are disgusted by the thought of wearing animal skin, go ahead and wear out the leather products you have. There are several other threads around about the same topic, and a lot of us feel this way. Since you already own it, I personally think its better to use it and not let it go to waste. Plus, I am a college student with very limited money, so replacing such things can be a problem.

I wouldn't worry about creating demand by wearing leather. Leather coats are such a fashionable item that any of us can't really do much to add to it. If anyone asks you about what you're wearing, be sure to explain it so nobody thinks you approves. I hardly think the fashion choices of vegetarians drives the demand for animal products.
#13 Old 12-06-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Veggies too...I have been a veggie for 18 years and wont wear leather or pleather or fur or Faux Fur....Nope Just dont...For me when I went Veggie I gave all my leather/fur stuff away thats just me but in good concious couldnt wear or use it...friends of mine kept theirs and wore used it till it was used up...its a personal decision.....bigg CONGRATS to you

Peace Love and Happiness

Hippie Holidaze Everyone

Jenn
#14 Old 12-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I am ALL ABOUT the fake fur. It's fun, silly, and looks really nice. And since I love animals it's like I get to carry one around with me but without having any of them killed. Perfect, I'd say!!!

I am looking into more and more faux leather items, but for some things it's hard. ie. moccasins.
#15 Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:

wouldnt leather be worse because of what maintaining the cattle does to the environment?

Actually, the bulk of the leather today comes from India where cattle are raised much differently than in North America. Do a search on "India cattle abuse video" and you will see how they are obtained, transported and killed. The fact that India supplies the bulk of the worlds leather explains why leather is relatively cheap.
#16 Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:

I think its a practicality issue for some. I have shoes that look like leather, and I need certain shoes to be waterproof and protective in winter, so its hard to avoid leather lookalikes. I can't say I have an urge for a fake leather or fur coat myself, but I wouldn't condemn someone else for wanting one. A person who likes to ride motorcycles for instance would need something that had the strength and hence the appearance of leather for their own protection.

Nowadays, motorcyclists would be better off wearing jackets made of Kevlar and many of them do. The guys wearing leathers usually are more interested in a "look". My husband rides a bike and has put on many thousands of miles on it, and I'm afraid he is one of the guilty "fashionistas".
#17 Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I still have a ton of leather items from before I went veg that I still use, with the intent of wearing them out and then switching to non-leather next time. Some of them, especially my couch and car interior, would just be very expensive to replace. In the case of my Renaissance Faire costume pieces that are leather (see avatar pic), it's just hard to find non-leather things like Ren shoes that look authentic enough to wear when performing in that environment.

As for more every day items, I've already bought a pair of non-leather running shoes since going veg. I keep saying I need to get new belts, but I haven't found any non-leather ones locally. I've been reluctant to mail order belts where I can't tell from pictures on the internet if they'll look professional enough for me to wear with a suit and/or in an office environment.

--Fromper

#18 Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselsmom View Post

Actually, the bulk of the leather today comes from India where cattle are raised much differently than in North America. Do a search on "India cattle abuse video" and you will see how they are obtained, transported and killed. The fact that India supplies the bulk of the worlds leather explains why leather is relatively cheap.

Really?? India??
#19 Old 12-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Pereira View Post

Really?? India??

They don't actually kill cattle for leather in India, but the cattle are transported to where they legally can sell them for skinning. I believe it's illegal in India, because they see cattle as sacred...but yeah?! It's odd, its like the sales of horses inside the US to other countries who can legally slaughter them.
#20 Old 12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a lot of leather shoes and bags from before I went veg that I have every intention of wearing out. I haven't bought myself any new leather since going veg and that's good enough for me.
#21 Old 12-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

hi,

i just recently went vegitarian. i have a leather jacket i got as a gift a month or two prior to making this decision . I wear it and justify that by thinking that if i dont wear it and let it go to waste the cow would have died in vein and buy wearing it im not creating any more of a demand for the leather because its already been purchased. do you agree with this or am i just being hypocritical?

I am in the exact same situation. I made the decision to become a vegetarian AFTER getting my leather boots. I justify wearing them the same way you do and I have received A LOT of criticism on other boards because of it. The way I look at it is that they make large quantities of boots and jackets etc. That does not mean they will all sell and the animal would have been wasted. I'd much rather not waste an animal.
#22 Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 PM

I don't want to create any more demand for animal products by buying them. I haven't bought any leather since I went vegetarian, but I still have the items I already owned before I made this decision.

I agree with the logic that you shouldn't let an animal's death go to waste. If you feel like you'd be being hypocritical or if it starts to gross you out (like it did with me), give it to someone who would appreciate the item. For me, the point is, don't let any more animals die, but the ones who've already been turned into products shouldn't be ignored.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page