Define Vegetarian please? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 11-22-2008, 03:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbellek View Post

You know, I kinda just posted about this in a thread on the vegan board... I think there needs to be something in-between vegetarian & vegan...

For example, my dietary habits probably technically fall under the category of "lacto/ovo-vegetarian" because I'm not 100% unwilling to eat foods with dairy or eggs in them. I'd say these foods only make up about 5% of my overall diet, but most vegans would crucify me if I called myself vegan -- even though I put considerable effort into ensuring that the non-edible products I buy don't contain animal ingredients & aren't tested on animals. I jokingly call myself a "flexible vegan" sometimes, but I wish there were an actual WORD for it.

I also check the ingredients of all the stuff I eat (even the spice rack gets a thorough read-through) to make sure that no animal products (that I remember off the top of my head lol, there are so many E's out there) in the product. I can understand why some vegans would snap at someone calling themselves vegan without actually adhering to the rules vegans go by. I understand it, because these people go through a lot of difficulty because of their ethics and it's like when people call themselves vegetarian but still consume fish and chicken ("cos it's not meat you know!" whatever) - this will just cause confusion. What I don't really like is when the very "high and mighty" vegans start giving you **** and making you feel bad for not being totally abstinent of animal products. Not everyone want to depart with their beloved and departed gran's old fur coat even if they never wear it. That being said I want to point out that I respect vegans imensly (can't spell that right lol).

I just feel that this stereotype vegetarians and vegans get, saying that they're all righteous and preachy people are incorrect but has to come from somewhere. I know that I would never start moaning and *****ing to mum saying "do we have to eat this fermented animal carcass??" knowing she's worked hard to feed her family for the past hour and that's just very ungrateful.

We just need to make it clear to people: Vegetarian is a dietary preference that varies slightly from person to person, like Ashlend will eat cheese but she prefers to avoid it. Some other vegetarians have vowed never to touch the stuff ever again. Vegan is a lifestyle where they follow the "strictest" form of vegetarian but also incorporate this avoidance of animal parts and their biproducts in their lifestyle (I still think giving a vegan **** for their car seats is out of line though).

Thanks for everyone who helped me I <3 VB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I call myself a vegetarian. I don't eat any meat or meat byproducts like chicken stock or gelatin. I eat a relatively small amount of eggs and dairy (I don't use either one in my cooking at home, but sometimes succumb when I am out or at someone else's house.) I don't always check the source of the rennet in my cheese when I am out. If the only otherwise vegetarian entree on the menu has questionable cheese in it, I will eat it. I don't consider myself any less of a vegetarian for that, but I appreciate that some here may disagree.

Ash

This describes me as well... I'm very rarely around other vegetarians and get dragged to unveggie friendly restaurants quite often. If my only choice is cheese I'll take it. This is the only time my diet may include a product that could be derived from the actual animal. I still consider myself a vegetarian though
#33 Old 11-22-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Kinda takes the meaning out of 'strict' then doesn't it?

Not really, it's just a catch all for more than your average vegetarian. Great descriptor for those who either do more than they "need" or are approaching veganism
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalestral View Post

Not really, it's just a catch all for more than your average vegetarian. Great descriptor for those who either do more than they "need" or are approaching veganism

maybe someone who feels that calling someone like that strict, could just add "very" to the title ? ha ha
#35 Old 11-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy_Mar View Post

maybe someone who feels that calling someone like that strict, could just add "very" to the title?

Ha ha!

"Are you vegetarian?"

"Oh yes. I'm VERY vegetarian!"

#36 Old 11-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ lol!

I know I do more in many ways than the lacto-ovo benchmark would require but personally, I don't feel comfortable describing myself as a strict vegetarian, since that, to me, describes someone who eats no dairy or eggs (as was posted on the previous page.) I think "strict vegetarian" is understood differently by the average layperson than it is on VB, though. People in real life have called me a strict vegetarian for not eating fish.
#37 Old 11-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ nice post

Personally, I don't even like the title 'strict vegetarian' because it's just one more label to confuse the hell out of meat-eaters (and apparently us also). People seem to want extra credit because they do more than 'that guy over there'. It's really not that complicated. You're either vegetarian or you're not. You're either vegan or you're not.

I myself am 100% dairy free and eat very few eggs. I'm still simply a vegetarian - not - Mr. Extra-Special Vegetarian Who Eats No Dairy and Very Few Eggs and Deserves a Gold Star and Extra Cookies and a Special Label So That Everyone Knows I'm Doing More Than That Guy Over There.

Let's not get too precious with the labeling.

If you're not vegan, you're either vegetarian or an omni.

My two cents anyway.

Dig
#38 Old 11-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I think you will be called a strict vegetarian if you go beyond not eating meat. Someone accused me of being strict because I wouldn't eat a gummy worm and I won't buy leather.
#39 Old 11-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I think you will be called a strict vegetarian if you go beyond not eating meat. Someone accused me of being strict because I wouldn't eat a gummy worm and I won't buy leather.

Yeah okay I get it, I know of no vegetarians where I live and I haven't told anyone (other than my boyfriend) of my choice as I'm fairly new to this so I don't want the putting down of "oh you'll crack in a day or two, you'll see a sandwich or sumthin". But I won't eat gummy worms and I won't be purchasing any more real leather. I just think people add "strict" and "very strict" because omnies, who just haven't cared enough to find out more can't understand that vegetarianism is kind of like a religion (mostly referring to Christianity here), there are so many ways of living it that is right to that person

Random : Yay I just had mango

edit : your cat is the cutest thing btw, it had my boyfriend go "aww cute kitteh"
#40 Old 11-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

The word you're looking for is "schmegan". Do a search for it on the boards, and you'll see that this discussion has been around for a long time...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#41 Old 11-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

The word you're looking for is "schmegan". Do a search for it on the boards, and you'll see that this discussion has been around for a long time...

schmegan ey ? hmmm... *gets a "Hello I'm..." badge*
#42 Old 11-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

^^ nice post

Personally, I don't even like the title 'strict vegetarian' because it's just one more label to confuse the hell out of meat-eaters (and apparently us also). People seem to want extra credit because they do more than 'that guy over there'. It's really not that complicated. You're either vegetarian or you're not. You're either vegan or you're not.

I myself am 100% dairy free and eat very few eggs. I'm still simply a vegetarian - not - Mr. Extra-Special Vegetarian Who Eats No Dairy and Very Few Eggs and Deserves a Gold Star and Extra Cookies and a Special Label So That Everyone Knows I'm Doing More Than That Guy Over There.

Let's not get too precious with the labeling.

If you're not vegan, you're either vegetarian or an omni.

My two cents anyway.

Dig

Actually vegan is an "Mr. Extra-Special Vegetarian" label already. You are either vegetarian or you are not.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#43 Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy_Mar View Post

Yeah okay I get it, I know of no vegetarians where I live and I haven't told anyone (other than my boyfriend) of my choice as I'm fairly new to this so I don't want the putting down of "oh you'll crack in a day or two, you'll see a sandwich or sumthin". But I won't eat gummy worms and I won't be purchasing any more real leather. I just think people add "strict" and "very strict" because omnies, who just haven't cared enough to find out more can't understand that vegetarianism is kind of like a religion (mostly referring to Christianity here), there are so many ways of living it that is right to that person

Random : Yay I just had mango

edit : your cat is the cutest thing btw, it had my boyfriend go "aww cute kitteh"

Good for you! Stay strong and resist temptation! It gets easier.

That's actually not my cat, I pulled that picture off LOLcats. My cat looks kinda like that though and does like to hang out on my keyboard.
#44 Old 11-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejey View Post

That's interesting, I didn't know vegetarian was only dietary. If they're doing it for ethical reasons it seems a bit contradictory to not want to put the cow in your mouth but not care about wearing it; the cow was used and died either way.

I am doing it for ethical reasons, but still wear some leather, for horsebackriding. My boots, chaps, saddle, bridle, ect are all leather because the non leather kind are cheap and don't work as well. I, personally HATE labels. And I think people can mix up any version of vegetarianism/veganism they want, Its a persons decision to do so, so they should be able to pick and choose the parts they want to abide by.

Thats my veiw.
#45 Old 11-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Good for you! Stay strong and resist temptation! It gets easier.

That's actually not my cat, I pulled that picture off LOLcats. My cat looks kinda like that though and does like to hang out on my keyboard.

Oh alright, it's still the cutest thing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilurvebroccoli View Post

I am doing it for ethical reasons, but still wear some leather, for horsebackriding. My boots, chaps, saddle, bridle, ect are all leather because the non leather kind are cheap and don't work as well. I, personally HATE labels. And I think people can mix up any version of vegetarianism/veganism they want, Its a persons decision to do so, so they should be able to pick and choose the parts they want to abide by.

Thats my veiw.

I have a leather jacket and yes it is an individual choice. I suppose labels are around to make things easier for people, it's just that sometimes we get a bit caught up in it all
#46 Old 11-26-2008, 08:35 PM

A coworker of mine is vegan in diet (for health reasons) but is not really strongly tied to animal rights issues, so she doesn't live a vegan lifestyle otherwise---wears leather, etc. She does say "strict vegetarian" out of respect to vegans, who might be offended to hear her calling herself a vegan, but if people need more clarification about what she can or can't say, she will say "vegan" so that people know that that means no eggs or dairy, either. And she doesn't mind if there is honey in things.

Also, I wanted to say that some committed vegans DO still wear leather, at least at first. Some people feel that if the animal had to give it's life for their shoes or jacket then they will honor that animal's sacrific by getting as much use out of it as possible. Of course many (most?) vegans would donate their leather/wool, etc. stuff because they would feel uncomfortable still using such things, but still, that situation does sometimes occur.
#47 Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 AM

I consider myself a vegetarian. I don't eat the flesh of any living animal. I do eat cheese, milk and eggs in things. For instance portabello ravioli with ricotta, or pancakes (has milk & egg)! Thats all! I thought a Vegan was someone who does not consume ANYTHING that comes from an animal whatsoever.
#48 Old 11-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Strict Vegetarian (diet only, no animal products of any kind)

That describes me. I follow a strict vegan diet now, but I correct people when they try to call me a 'vegan'. I still have a leather purse and leather shoes (second-hand from family). The hand soap that my mother buys for the house likely has animal ingredients. I have enough trouble affording purchasing food for myself, let alone all vegan toiletries and accessories to replace my leather stuff. I wear my mother's and grandmother's second-hand (mostly leather) stuff and right now that works for me just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page