What About The Animals? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Newbie
 
Jacqz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1
Hi, I am what I guess you could call an occasional vegetarian. I have to admit, the smell of bacon is one of the hardest things for me to resist. I have a question which has been nagging at me regarding being vegetarian. If everyone turned to this, what would happen to all the livestock? How would we control the population? What do you do with all the hatched chickens? The cows, the goats, the pigs? Mass birth control? Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I am against this choice, it is just that this is an issue, same as with cats, dogs, and all other animals. What are they here for if not for food? What if we all quit eating them, and they in turn overpopulated, and began eating US? Has this issue been raised before, and what is the answer? I love all animals, and if I had to kill it to eat it, I would starve. I really want to understand and know that there is a solution.

Thanks

Julie
Jacqz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Jacqz,



This is a forum for vegetarians or those who are sincerely interested in becoming vegetarian. And yes, your issue has been raised over and over and over and over again. That is why we have a search function.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#3 Old 11-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqz View Post

Hi, I am what I guess you could call an occasional vegetarian. I have to admit, the smell of bacon is one of the hardest things for me to resist. I have a question which has been nagging at me regarding being vegetarian. If everyone turned to this, what would happen to all the livestock? How would we control the population? What do you do with all the hatched chickens? The cows, the goats, the pigs? Mass birth control? Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I am against this choice, it is just that this is an issue, same as with cats, dogs, and all other animals. What are they here for if not for food? What if we all quit eating them, and they in turn overpopulated, and began eating US? Has this issue been raised before, and what is the answer? I love all animals, and if I had to kill it to eat it, I would starve. I really want to understand and know that there is a solution.

Thanks

Julie



Hi Julie



Poppy is right- This is a forum for vegetarians or people seriously working toward going vegetarian.



That said, I'll answer your questions because I think a lot of people wonder the same things. I hope my answers help you to seriously consider not eating animals.



The simple answer is that the world will not go vegetarian or vegan in a day and supply and demand will take care of the rest. "Food animals" are bred simply for our consuption. Were we not to eat them, they would not be bred.



As more and more people decide not to support the horrific cruelty done to these beautiful creatures, less and less will be bred to endure a life of endless suffering only to end up between a bun.



Please, consider the life you take when you eat an animal. Consider the suffering of the people who work in these awful conditions and deal with the killing day after day. Opt out. Choose a vegetarian life. Save a life. For your health, the environment, and the animals.



Any other questions, please feel free to ask Hope you're having a wonderful day.
Beachbnny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
derwenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 800
If people didn't eat animals, no-one would breed them for food. It wouldn't happen overnight, people would just be buying less and less meat so farmers would stop producing so much and gradually production would stop altogether.
derwenna is offline  
#5 Old 11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqz View Post

What are they here for if not for food?

No one is here "for" anything. But if you want to wonder about questions like that, then try to answer what humans are here "for"?

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#6 Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Newbie
 
beetfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Jacqz,



This is a forum for vegetarians or those who are sincerely interested in becoming vegetarian. And yes, your issue has been raised over and over and over and over again. That is why we have a search function.



I'm not sure this is the kind of question that lends itself to easy answers via the search function. What terms to enter, exactly?
beetfield is offline  
#7 Old 11-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetfield View Post

I'm not sure this is the kind of question that lends itself to easy answers via the search function. What terms to enter, exactly?

cows, overpopulation.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#8 Old 11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Licence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqz View Post

I have to admit, the smell of bacon is one of the hardest things for me to resist.



Fact: A lot of firemen don't eat bacon because its smells of burnt human flesh. Does that put you off?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqz View Post

What are they here for if not for food?



We are animals too you know. How would you feel if you and your family were bred and caged in horrendous conditions solely to be slaughtered and eaten as soon as you were fat enough?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqz View Post

What if we all quit eating them, and they in turn overpopulated, and began eating US?



Lamb, pigs, cows, chickens etc are not going to eat humans.
Licence is offline  
#9 Old 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
GhostUser is offline  
#10 Old 11-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Gita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mexas
Posts: 1,610
In the first place, it is unlikely that everyone would "change" over night to vegetarianism.



What happens to animals who are not bought to be slaughtered for some reason is probably the same thing that happens to animals who have chicken flu or mad cow disease, or sheep scabies. Most likely they would be horrifically slaughtered and buried in a pit using heavy equipment, or burned. The ranchers would not just let them out of their cages to indiscriminately breed and doing so is possibly a criminal act. These animals are all marked and tagged with serial numbers and I doubt the farmers would want to get fined in addition to losing their livelyhood. Chaos would not ensue.



If more people were to go vegetarian, not all at once but gradually, they would simply breed less animals. They do that now when less people buy a particular type of meat. They have total control over what breeds and with what. They do not throw a bunch of males and females together for a cow orgy, it is done mostly artificially. They also want to be in control of the genetics. Often they get their "seed" to be gentle, through the mail in a refrigerated package from a known stud bull.
Gita is offline  
#11 Old 11-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ripvanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,191
ripvanfish is offline  
#12 Old 11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Ilurvebroccoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 432
If we didn't eat them....what would they be for??? Haha. People in this world, beleive it or not, keep animals like that as pets. My Friend has two cows, three chickens, a goat, and 4 sheep who are all just pets used for 4H, and she doesn't sell them to slaughterhouses.



Plus, if they aren't being eaten, then they prob wouldn't be here. People who breed, will breed and raise specifically for food. So if the demand goes down, so does the supply. Thats the beauty of supply and demand!!
Ilurvebroccoli is offline  
#13 Old 11-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
dormouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqz View Post

Hi, I am what I guess you could call an occasional vegetarian. I have to admit, the smell of bacon is one of the hardest things for me to resist. I have a question which has been nagging at me regarding being vegetarian. If everyone turned to this, what would happen to all the livestock? How would we control the population? What do you do with all the hatched chickens? The cows, the goats, the pigs? Mass birth control? Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I am against this choice, it is just that this is an issue, same as with cats, dogs, and all other animals. What are they here for if not for food? What if we all quit eating them, and they in turn overpopulated, and began eating US? Has this issue been raised before, and what is the answer? I love all animals, and if I had to kill it to eat it, I would starve. I really want to understand and know that there is a solution.

Thanks

Julie



What does occasional vegetarian mean? You sometimes don't eat meat with a meal or you have bursts of pure vegetarianism? Either way, this is not vegetarianism, since you aren't making a lifestyle choice that requires any sacrifice.



These animal population problems would not be an issue unless somehow the whole world turned vegetarian instantly. There would certainly be fewer of these animals in existence, but their species would reach a new equilibrium of supporting themselves, instead of supporting themselves and us.



None of these animals would eat us. They are all herbivores.



As far as what their purpose is, I ask you this: What is our purpose? What is the purpose of any animal? What's the purpose of dogs and cats? What's the purpose of life?
dormouse is offline  
#14 Old 11-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Newbie
 
bmd0617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 88
On top of all else said here, "survival of the fittest" comes to mind. theoretically, if every human was vegetarian, then only the carnivorous animals in the wild, or in zoos etc, would eat the animals thus helping to stem a rise in population.
bmd0617 is offline  
#15 Old 11-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

No one is here "for" anything. But if you want to wonder about questions like that, then try to answer what humans are here "for"?



Humans are here for destroying the world around us, of course. Didn't you get the memo?



--Fromper

Fromper is offline  
#16 Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.
 
Puppet Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanfish View Post






My thoughts exactly.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Puppet Master is offline  
#17 Old 11-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Newbie
 
stupidhumanzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 64
Completely OT:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Fact: A lot of firemen don't eat bacon because its smells of burnt human flesh. Does that put you off?





Do you have a source for this? I'm just very curious; I've known quite a bit of firefighters, but never met a vegetarian or even a non-eating bacon one.



Edit: this is again completely off topic but I was doing some research (I literally typed "bacon" and "human flesh" and "firefighters" in google) and found this little gem:



a robot in japan has been programmed to discern the tastes of different foods. Some reporter put his hand for the robot to "sample/taste" and the robot read it as BACON!! Another reporter did the same and the robot read it as PROSCIUTTO.



http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcont...identifie.html
stupidhumanzz is offline  
#18 Old 11-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Licence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidhumanzz View Post

Completely OT:



Do you have a source for this? I'm just very curious; I've known quite a bit of firefighters, but never met a vegetarian or even a non-eating bacon one.[/url]



Apologies, since writing my post, I remembered that it wasn't bacon I was talking about, but pork crackling, produced when roasting a joint of pork. Yuck anyway.



Sorry for any confusion!
Licence is offline  
#19 Old 11-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Beginner
 
anonycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqz View Post

What if we all quit eating them, and they in turn overpopulated, and began eating US?



RUN for your LIFE!!! Here come the carnivorous cows!!!



Sounds like an awesomely bad B movie.
anonycat is offline  
#20 Old 11-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kazyeeqen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licence View Post

Apologies, since writing my post, I remembered that it wasn't bacon I was talking about, but pork crackling, produced when roasting a joint of pork. Yuck anyway.



Sorry for any confusion!



Yeah, I was puzzled by this at first, as I think the smell of bacon comes mostly from the spices in it, not from the flesh itself. I've heard that pork is similar to human flesh, though I have no idea where such a rumor would come from.
kazyeeqen is offline  
#21 Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Percy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 949
Just read my signature
Percy is offline  
#22 Old 11-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
sb729 }i{'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidhumanzz View Post


Edit: this is again completely off topic but I was doing some research (I literally typed "bacon" and "human flesh" and "firefighters" in google) and found this little gem:



a robot in japan has been programmed to discern the tastes of different foods. Some reporter put his hand for the robot to "sample/taste" and the robot read it as BACON!! Another reporter did the same and the robot read it as PROSCIUTTO.



http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcont...identifie.html



Wow, this is pretty interesting
sb729 }i{ is offline  
#23 Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,550
i wonder if Jacqz will be back?
jeneticallymodified is offline  
#24 Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Gear Shifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Humans are here for destroying the world around us, of course. Didn't you get the memo?



--Fromper




HA!

Very good.
Gear Shifter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off