I'm a picky eater, can anyone suggest foods to me? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 PM

I'm a new vegetarian, I'm attempting to make the switch from eating meat and processed foods to a plant based diet with little or no fast and processed foods. My major problem however is that I'm such a picky eater that I feel like I don't have many options, my other issue is I'm a diabetic so I can't eat too much of foods with high carb or sugar content.

I'm hoping some of the vetaran vegans and vegetarians can help me find some new foods to try. I guess I should maybe list a few of the foods I do like in order to get a few suggestions. I love a lot of the vegetable based chinese dishes (I wish I knew how to replicate them), I like almost any kind of leafy green plant (lettuce, kale, spinach, greens, etc..), I love vidalia and sweet onions so much I could almost eat them raw, I recently found out that I really enjoy asparagus, bok choy and eggplant. Foods I can't seem to enjoy are practically any kind of peas (black eye, green, etc..) or beans (kidney, navy, etc..). I also don't care much for squash or broccolli.

Based on the above is it still possible for me to maintain a varied vegetarian diet as a diabetic? Sorry for the silly question, I'm new to this and I'm still trying to get a feel for the vegetarian diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2008, 01:18 AM
rhb

do you like oats and dried fruits? you could make muesli with oats, chopped fresh fruit, seeds etc. and pour over soy milk? i also have a friend with diabetes who eats rye bread, and homemade vegetable soups- just take the vegetables you do like, cook in veg stock then blend
#3 Old 11-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Hi- and welcome to the boards! First: I’m not a dietician, so please have your doctor or dietician verify anything I’m posting here...

I’m not diabetic but at least two blood relatives on my Dad’s side had it, so it’s something I keep aware of. As I understand it, some whole grain foods will give you almost as rapid a rise in blood sugar as refined ones. For example, whole wheat bread carbohydrates are absorbed almost as quickly as white bread- unless that bread has a lot of large, coarsely-ground or unground grain fragments, wheat “berries”, etc. Similarly, thick-cut slow-cooking oats were more gradually digested than thinner rolled oats. Also, short-grain rice gives a faster rise in blood sugar than long-grain. However, there are other benefits of whole grains: they usually have more nutrients than refined grains.

It’s too bad you don’t care for legumes. Their carbohydrates are more slowly digested, and are a safer bet for a diabetic, than many other high-carbohydrate foods. I’ll admit they take a bit of fussing over to make them palatable, but I eat a lot of them. How many ways have you tried them? There are other ways of having them besides the usual chili, baked beans, etc. You mention you really like onions... onions are one of the best matches for beans as far as taste goes. Leafy greens are healthy to eat too, and you’re fortunate that you like them. There are a few traditional recipes which combine leafy greens with beans.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I wish I could help, as I am a picky eater too, but you like all the veggies that I don't
#5 Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

When was the last time you tried the foods you don't like? How did you have them prepared? There are a lot of really awful ways to prepare beans and broccoli and peas and squash!! Canned peas and boiled broccoli come to mind offhand... also a bad squash is absolutely disgusting!! But there are also tons and tons of ways to prepare them, so I would recommend keeping an open mind and just trying different things, maybe one ingredient you're wary of in a dish full of foods you know you like so worse comes to worse, you can pick around it. Have you tried lentils? They work well in place of ground meat, and legumes in general are supposed to be really great at helping to stabilize blood sugar.

When I met my bf there was a laundry list of vegetables he didn't like. As it turned out, he does actually like almost all of them (still can't win on mushrooms or tomatoes-in-pieces), but his mom is an awful cook and didn't know how to prepare them well, so once they were prepared well, he wolfed them down!! Kale is now one of his favorites, and he also loves collards.

In the peas department, have you tried snow peas or snap peas? The kind where you eat the shell. They're a little sweet and nice and crunchy (you want to just barely cook them until they're bright but still crisp, or eat them raw). How do you like root veggies? Sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, turnips, radishes, and jicama are all options there (as well as the humble white potato -- eat the skin to get the most vitamins and fiber out of it). When you say squash, do you mean summer or winter? Winter squash, like acorn, butternut, pumpkin, delicata, spaghetti, are all nice roasted and are pretty cheap this time of year! If you like greens, but not broccoli proper, try broccoli rabe (bitter relative to broccoli) or broccolini (mostly thin stems with a few florets on top). Try something new every week at the grocery store! You never know what you might like!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 11-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I was allllways a picky eater...and when i became veg, i got even worse, eating "white" foods...potatoes, pasta, NO veggies!

after awhile, your tastes will change...i bet you will start to actually enjoy and crave those foods that you once thought you hated. I have found that the "cleaner"i eat, the more i can taste the nuances of foods...taste the sweetness of a veggie, for example. Its actually alot of fun to try new things.

Try looking up some recipes by plugging in your fave veg or food into a search engine. And dont judge a food by only one experience, depending on how you cook or prepare something can wildly change your opinon of it. Try roasting or grilling, instead of just steaming, for example.
#7 Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 PM

I share your difficulties in many ways. I hope you can find some great new recipes to experiment with!
#8 Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 AM

make a list of foods you dont like, then just eat everything else
#9 Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

make a list of foods you dont like, then just eat everything else

I agree!

Remember to try things though. It took me a long time to learn to like tofu. I had to try making it different ways as well, until I found a way I really liked. I can't get enough of it now.
#10 Old 11-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Best way to duplicate the vegetables and brown sauce type chinese dish:

I'll stir fry some of my fav veggies in peanut oil. Then add some soy sauce, rice vinegar, and garlic powder to taste. Its yumm numm with rice.
#11 Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 AM

I used to be a very picky eater, and I finally realized "Hey, I'm an adult, I need to grow up and try this stuff!" And so I did what I would expect a child to do, since I saw myself as a child learning to eat new stuff: just try one bite, that's all, and if I don't like it I won't force myself to eat more. But by trying one bite here and there, I really have learned to eat more things. Sometimes I still don't want a whole lot, and some things still really aren't my favortie, but I can eat them--like broccoli. And now I genuinely do love beans now, and other things that I wouldn't have touched before.
#12 Old 11-30-2008, 07:56 PM

You can also go to recipe sites and type in the name of the chinese dishes you like that are vegetarian, and see if they have recipes you can try to make yourself. I also advocate just trying stuff you don't think you like. I'm a new veggie as well, and sometimes, it is really hard to force yourself to try the new stuff, but sometimes you just gotta suck it up and do it. And you'll probably be pleasantly surprised that not all of the stuff you thought you didn't like is that bad. I'm picky too, though, so I'm also on your boat. Good luck though!
#13 Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilurvebroccoli View Post

Best way to duplicate the vegetables and brown sauce type chinese dish:

I'll stir fry some of my fav veggies in peanut oil. Then add some soy sauce, rice vinegar, and garlic powder to taste. Its yumm numm with rice.

Add to this a dash of toasted sesame oil, a pinch of Chinese five spice powder, a spoonful of cornstarch, and a half cup of broth and it will be almost perfect.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#14 Old 11-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsy View Post

I used to be a very picky eater, and I finally realized "Hey, I'm an adult, I need to grow up and try this stuff!" And so I did what I would expect a child to do, since I saw myself as a child learning to eat new stuff: just try one bite, that's all, and if I don't like it I won't force myself to eat more. But by trying one bite here and there, I really have learned to eat more things. Sometimes I still don't want a whole lot, and some things still really aren't my favortie, but I can eat them--like broccoli. And now I genuinely do love beans now, and other things that I wouldn't have touched before.

When I was a kid I wouldn't be allowed to leave the table until I ate my veggies, which often meant I was stuck there all night because I absolutely refused. All I liked as a kid was chicken nuggets and french fries. I would really recommend just slowly retrying some of the foods that you don't like because it's amazing how your tastes change. Now I like just about all veggies. Except peas and onions. gross.
#15 Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 PM

I think that being forced to finish an entire serving of veggies can so easily backfire with a child (like
Quote:
which often meant I was stuck there all night because I absolutely refused

) and I think that it can backfire with an adult too. No one wants to feel like eating is punishment! I just feel like even one bite of something new is a victory, and I don't beat myself up about it if it never becomes a favorite. But I am so happy that I am to the point where I don't have to choke down so much stuff, I can actually eat it like a normal person!

Oh, and sometimes I have found that eating something I don't like in front of other people is helpful. To be polite, I would always at least eat a small portion of something (vegetarian, of course), and I found that I tasted some stuff that I would have assumed I would have hated, but liked after all.

DgyJff - see, I used to HATE peas and now I also love love love them! Okay, I don't eat spoonfuls of them alone, but I love them in pasta or rice or soup or anything. There is hope for you yet!
#16 Old 12-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I'll eat peas if they are served to me. They aren't terrible, but out of all the vegetables they are pretty low on my list. Let's just say I would never buy them on my own.

Now onions on the other hand- boy, I don't know if there's hope for me there. If I touch a raw onion, it gives me a headache from having the smell on my hand. I think it's one of my migraine triggers
#17 Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with some of the other posters about trying different ways to cook the beans. My family used to serve up beans every now and then when I was omni and I HATED them. So for years I wouldnt eat them, then when I became a vegetarian a few months ago I decided it was in my best interests to try them again as they are a great source of protein. I discovered with a bit of trial and error that I actually really like them.... jsut not as a bean salad like my family used to serve them up as.

I agree with what someone else said.... smother one type of bean/legume in lots of stuff you know you love and see if you they taste ok that way.

And what about hummus? I'm not the biggest fan of chickpeas but if you put a tub of hummus in front of me I could eat it by the spoonfull! Especially if its sun dried tomato flavour!!!

Being vegetarians is all about experimenting with new foods.... I have found several foods I never liked before that I now eat quite often.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page