Gelatin foods to avoid? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

#1 Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

So, I just started my Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian lifestyle 3 weeks ago. It started as a one week trial, and now is a lifestyle for me. =) So far, I'm 3 weeks strong! =D I love the way I feel refusing all the fatty meats and picking fruits and veggies instead. However, I just found out about gelatin and what it's made of. Gross! Even if I wasn't a vegetarian I'd have a hard time eating that! I just found out it's in my Yogurt, which makes me sad b/c I had been eating that as part of my "veggie" diet. =( What are some foods that has gelatin in it? I try to check labels, but being Halloween time and all labels aren't always around and I don't want another sad surpirse.

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't fret about yogurt. There are plenty of yogurts without it. Just read the labels. But gelatin is in things that are "gummy." So gummy bears, worms, skittles and anything like that. Also, marshmallows have gelatin, so watch out for "Smores" bars and Rice Krispy treats.

Congrats on three weeks veg!! Best of luck!
#3 Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

The obvious one--Jello. So fun, wiggly, and fruity, but it has a dark secret...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

"frosted" things like poptarts and mini wheats.
amdurarose likes this.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

It's also in some brands of sour cream. Some people put it in cheesecake and other non-Jello deserts.
#6 Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

So fun, wiggly, and fruity, but it has a dark secret...

Oh my gosh, you just made me laugh out loud!
#7 Old 10-27-2008, 05:06 PM

The amount of foods that contain unecessary hidden gelatin still shocks me after 4 months of strict lacto-ovo vegetarianism. It still breaks my heart when someone offers me something delicious and when i read the ingredients i find it contains the remnants of dead animals! lollies like Razoos and wine gums and pineapple lumps(x favourites) contain gelatin. you also have to watch out for icecreams and not just particular flavours but each brand can be different as well. I discovered quite quickly that cold jelly which is made with cold water does not have gelatin so i don't have to miss out on my favourite thing in the world just because people can't live without murdering innocent animals.
#8 Old 10-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator

We bought some body wash that had gelatin once (it has "moisture beads"). So it's not just food you have to look out for!

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 10-27-2008, 06:37 PM

A friend of mine offered me a stick of gum recently, and lo and behold the ingredient list contained gelatin! That pesky gelatin...I always have to keep an eye out for it :P

Congrats and best of luck with your vegetarianism!!
#10 Old 10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Beginner

Also watch out for ice cream. They put it in so it doesn't melt so fast.
#11 Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Depending on how strict you want to be, avoid clear juices like golden-colored apple juice. Gelatin is often the filtering agent of choice. What they do is they have a giant vat of the juice and they pour powdered gelatin over the top. The gelatin settles to the bottom of the vat taking the pectin and fiber that was floating in the juice with it. The juice is then poured off the top. Gelatin is not in the final product, so it's not listed as an ingredient. Apple juice and orange juice are both done this way. (If you see cloudy apple juice, it's not processed with gelatin. Some orange juice isn't, either. You would have to call the company to find out.)
#12 Old 10-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, I bet the OP's head is spinning It seems like a lot of things, but you really adapt. As long as you read labels, you'll be fine. Everything I was going to post has been posted already.
#13 Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The obvious one--Jello. So fun, wiggly, and fruity, but it has a dark secret...

!!!!!For some reason this is about the most amazing quote ever. Or atleast this early in the morning on 4 hours sleep. Regardless, may I steal this quote??
#14 Old 10-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by counting_hours View Post

!!!!!For some reason this is about the most amazing quote ever. Or atleast this early in the morning on 4 hours sleep. Regardless, may I steal this quote??

Go for it
#15 Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

*adds to siggy*
#16 Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 AM

Avoid anything chewy, and check everything else.
#17 Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Peanuts! Forgot about that one. Sometimes roasted peanuts (and other nuts) have a gelatin coating. Weird.

#18 Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

and.....

Sunflower Seeds?!?!?!
#19 Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

A good substitute for Jello is Gefen, it's a Jell Dessert that's VEGAN! I found some at my local health food store. Also, there are recipes for "jello" with agar.
#20 Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I forgot to add that I bought some "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spread, the light or fat free kind, I'm not exactly sure. But it had gelatin in in. A word to the wise, always read the label before you purchase something.
#21 Old 10-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Some butter even contains fish (for Omega-3), so trust me, it's best to read every label. There are A LOT of great margarines out there too that are inexpensive, cheap, and trans-fat free. Smart Balance Light and Nucoa are both vegan (in tubs).
#22 Old 10-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Read every label.

Pop-tarts = evil.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#23 Old 10-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Pop-tarts = TASTY evil. The unfrosted ones are vegetarian.
#24 Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin-cakes View Post

lollies like Razoos and wine gums and pineapple lumps(x favourites) contain gelatin.

Noooooooooo Not the pineapple lumps.... I'm sooo sad now. Havent bought any since I went veggie and now I'm not going to be able to buy them ever again!!! *Sob*
#25 Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I ate an entire bag of skittles once before thinking to check if they had gelatin.

Another time, I ate 2 S'mores pop tarts before realizing they had marshmallow and therefore gelatin.

And also, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter light has margarine, as someone else stated. I was totally weirded out by that.
#26 Old 10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Some butter even contains fish (for Omega-3), so trust me, it's best to read every label. There are A LOT of great margarines out there too that are inexpensive, cheap, and trans-fat free. Smart Balance Light and Nucoa are both vegan (in tubs).

Hey, some ORANGE JUICE has fish in it, and some whole wheat tortillas... and some baby food. Who the heck thinks of this nonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZVeggie View Post

Noooooooooo Not the pineapple lumps.... I'm sooo sad now. Havent bought any since I went veggie and now I'm not going to be able to buy them ever again!!! *Sob*

You could buy 'em all you want. Just can't eat 'em.

#27 Old 10-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora9kry View Post

I ate an entire bag of skittles once before thinking to check if they had gelatin.

I bought some for a movie snack, ate half the bag before I realized my error. Once I realize these things though, I figure the damage is done and finish eating whatever I have bought. I just won't buy them again.

You guys know what doesn't have gelatin? Jelly Bellies! I love those.
#28 Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Peanuts! Forgot about that one. Sometimes roasted peanuts (and other nuts) have a gelatin coating. Weird.

I read this as i was shoveling peanuts into my mouth. They're ok though. nothing but peanuts, peanut oil and salt listed as ingredients. Thank God.

It's crazy how many things have gelatin in or on them. and it blows my mind as to why manufacturers feel the need to put it in so many things that could totally go without it.
#29 Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Hey, some ORANGE JUICE has fish in it, and some whole wheat tortillas... and some baby food. Who the heck thinks of this nonsense?

ORANGE JUICE? Which brand? Ewww. Ew. Ew. Baby food? NOW I've heard it all!

Quote:

I bought some for a movie snack, ate half the bag before I realized my error. Once I realize these things though, I figure the damage is done and finish eating whatever I have bought. I just won't buy them again.

You guys know what doesn't have gelatin? Jelly Bellies! I love those.

With gelatin, I would probably continue eating the product if I discovered halfway through. Last Christmas, my Mom bought Christmas Junior Mints and gelatin wasn't on the label. I got really excited and ate a ton. I e-mailed the company before eating them asking if this was an error, but I was assured by people that it was a liability if they messed up on the label. It took a week to get a reply and oops, they forgot to list that ingredient

I LOVE Jelly Bellies! They're not vegan, but they are vegetarian.
#30 Old 10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

With gelatin, I would probably continue eating the product if I discovered halfway through. Last Christmas, my Mom bought Christmas Junior Mints and gelatin wasn't on the label. I got really excited and ate a ton. I e-mailed the company before eating them asking if this was an error, but I was assured by people that it was a liability if they messed up on the label. It took a week to get a reply and oops, they forgot to list that ingredient

I LOVE Jelly Bellies! They're not vegan, but they are vegetarian.

Oh man. I used to love Junior Mints, I haven't eaten them in years. This is so sad for me to find out. (All of my movie theater candy, noooooo) I have however eaten a York peppermint pattie recently, but it had no ingredients listed.

What's not vegan about Jelly Bellies? Do they contain beeswax?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page