Gelatin foods to avoid? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

#31 Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Oh man. I used to love Junior Mints, I haven't eaten them in years. This is so sad for me to find out. (All of my movie theater candy, noooooo) I have however eaten a York peppermint pattie recently, but it had no ingredients listed.

What's not vegan about Jelly Bellies? Do they contain beeswax?

I'm pretty sure York Peppermint Patties are safe I always read labels and I ate one recently.

Yep, that darn beeswax!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Beginner

In my early days of going veg*n, Michael and I were at a bowling alley, and their drink special was jello shots. I was stoked - seriously, how often does a bar offer jello shots? Unfortunately, Michael brought it to my attention that jello was not vegetarian. It crushed me...ok, not really, but I was slightly devastated.
#33 Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Anything squishy or gummy. Or marshmallowy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 10-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia soup View Post

In my early days of going veg*n, Michael and I were at a bowling alley, and their drink special was jello shots. I was stoked - seriously, how often does a bar offer jello shots? Unfortunately, Michael brought it to my attention that jello was not vegetarian. It crushed me...ok, not really, but I was slightly devastated.

that's what I missed the most....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#35 Old 10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricia soup View Post

There are some recipes online for vegan jel shots... I've made them
#36 Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I was looking at the chocolate cake we had in the fridge, ready to dig into it, but as I've been having a bad run with accidentally eating non-veggie products, I checked the label.

Yep. It had gelatin!! (Evil, evil gelatin.)

It pains me to say it, but stay away from Peppridge Farms chocolate fudge 3-layer cake.

I'm so happy my dad made cookies (Hopefully those don't contain anything bad. They're just cookies, but that was what I thought about the cake!)

And that we have loads of junk food around.

(Not that it's really a good thing as I'm trying to lose weight, but on occasion it won't hurt...except I think I'm digging into it more then I should be. Must resist!) It's actually those little candies, but since thier little, that's the hook. You eat a lot of them. Grr. (I only eat about 4 at a time, but still...)

I might've eaten some gelatin because we got a white cake from the same company, but I checked the label on that one and didn't recall any gelatin, but sometimes I don't catch things when I read. It probably did, so next time I come across something "innocent looking", I'm double checking.
#37 Old 11-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miharu View Post

Anything squishy or gummy. Or marshmallowy.

This is a good rule for things you should be sure to check on. But these things don't always contain gelatin. As I said earlier, Jelly Belly jelly beans don't contain gelatin, and neither do Sour Patch Kids.
#38 Old 11-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow... Thanks for the info! I've been trying hard to avoid such foods mentioned. I'm becoming an avid label reader too. =D
#39 Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

We bought some body wash that had gelatin once (it has "moisture beads"). So it's not just food you have to look out for!

true I recently found it in a few shampoos too...and Frankenberry Count Chocula (sp) Cereal.
#40 Old 11-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

OH NO, NOT COUNT CHOCULA! Sadness... Honestly, never had it, but that's still said to know
#41 Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Somebody said "anything frosted" but I checked Frosted Flakes last time I was in the store and they seem clean to me.
#42 Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Frosted Flakes are safe... and yummy
#43 Old 11-06-2008, 11:48 AM

marshmallow creme is vegetarian, though not vegan (egg whites). I make rice crispy treats with this, which is also easier than using marshmallows.
#44 Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajanew View Post

marshmallow creme is vegetarian, though not vegan (egg whites). I make rice crispy treats with this, which is also easier than using marshmallows.

What a good idea~ I love krispy treats, and now i can have them! yay!
#45 Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

This is a good rule for things you should be sure to check on. But these things don't always contain gelatin. As I said earlier, Jelly Belly jelly beans don't contain gelatin, and neither do Sour Patch Kids.

Which makes me so so so so so so happy! Swedish Fish also fall into the "gummy but safe" category. Yay!
#46 Old 11-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

What about Fruit Loops??? Do those have geletan??
#47 Old 11-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Too bad Jelly Bellys aren't vegan....
#48 Old 11-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilurvebroccoli View Post

What about Fruit Loops??? Do those have geletan??

No, they are safe
#49 Old 11-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Thank goodness!!! I love fruit loops!! Haha.
#50 Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 AM

And nail polish remover! Who knew?! I'm wondering if it's necessary to the removal process or is it a fortification thing ie; 'gelatin strengthens nails'? Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe sells a vegan remover for like $6,7,8 bucks...something like that. We've been tricked by yogurt, icing, hot cocoa mix (I think that was the crunchy little marshmallows though,I don't miss them), Frosted mini wheats (even generic). Sad. I have a nine year old who's all over it though.
#51 Old 11-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

^^^ You can find nail polish remover without gelatin at just about any store. I buy mine at Target.
#52 Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 PM

Anything "gummy" (gummy bears, marshmallow, gummy worms, etc) has probably been gelatized unless the label explicitly says it hasn't.
#53 Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 PM

I've been looking at the ingredients of some foods that have been mentioned here, but I'm new to this, and I'm not sure if it would be listed as just "gelatin" or a variety of ingredients.

I hear Fluff's supposed to be safe because it doesn't need to retain its shape with gelatin.
#54 Old 11-18-2008, 12:37 AM

Be careful when you're eating fudge. I had some thiss weekend that was made with marshmellows. I was so grossed out when they told me that that I threw up. >.<
#55 Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSweet View Post

I'm so happy my dad made cookies (Hopefully those don't contain anything bad. They're just cookies, but that was what I thought about the cake!)

Your dad makes cookies?!?!?!? OMG!!!! Ur dad is awesome! Not many guys will bake, fry maybe but bake no!!! 5 points for a awesome baking dad!
#56 Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Beginner

Thank God I live in Germany. This way I won't crave for most of the things mentioned here, because they don't exist here. :P

But it shocked me that orange juice isn't vegan! T_T Or roasted peanuts.

This shows me the importance of ALWAYS looking at labels.

And I thought I could trust some products and rely on my experiences.. *sighs*

It's so sad..
#57 Old 12-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by melted View Post

Avoid anything chewy, and check everything else.

But Wrigley's gum doesn't have gelatin in it...
#58 Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 AM

Some foods...

Most things that say light on the label. Also skittles dont have gelatine but they have bugs in them to make them shiny (Same with nerds, jellybeans and lots of other shiny things) But im not sure how "strict" veggie you are going to go, some veggies wouldnt eat them (me) some would. also some red dye has geletine in. drumstick lollies have gelatin too. anything chewy really. Haribos, mowams. Some sweets you can find special veggie ones. Ive been a veggie my whole life so im used to cheking labels and things. If your not sure then dont eat it i say Good luck!
#59 Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

We really need to identify our locations when getting specific about foods!
In America (at least) Skittles are now vegan. The shine is from carnuba wax, which is vegan.
It's shellac, or confectioners glaze that comes from beetles.

The red dye from beetles is cochineal, or carmine. Also called E120, and red 4.

Sour patch candies are vegan, as well as Swedish fish
Blow Pops are vegan
Betty Crocker fruit Gusher candies as well as (most? all?) of their other gummy pouch snacks
River likes this.
#60 Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post
Hey, some ORANGE JUICE has fish in it, and some whole wheat tortillas... and some baby food.
That's just plain wrong to do that.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page