[Field Roast] sausage review - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Beginner

I know this should technically go under food discussion but several people under the "new to vegetarianism" thread asked me to post how the seitan sausages were, I figured they might not look there - I believe the company was sweet earth.

So here goes...

LOL no seriously, ok they weren't great. They were like garlic flavor or whatever. I think what bothered me as a new veggie is they looked SO much like meat that when I took the casing off I smelled them and they smelled like wet croutons/thanksgiving stuffing. ICK. I always hated stuffing.

I fried them up lightly and put them in rice. The leftovers were actually better than the first round which was ummm not so good but I think they would do much better in a sauce of some kind- maybe a curry or stir fry or something.

Then again, maybe I am spoiled coming off of meat? I still think they are a good chocie if you cant eat soy altho they do have a decent amt of fat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

If you want a soy-free commercial veggie sausage the ONLY one to get is Field Roast. Seriously.
#3 Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Beginner

OMG- that was the name- field roast I thought it was something earth but I think I was thinking of the margarine Earth Balance. I had gotten rid of the label bc it was stuck to the sausage packing. Maybe I just didnt like the flavoring?

I have three left so I better start liking them soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Field Roast are not seitan, they are a grain based sausage. I agree they do take some getting use to. I like to crumble them after removing the casing and put them in to a noodle dish or some mac and "cheese".

The Apple Sage flavor are awesome in my opinion.
#5 Old 10-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Beginner

That was the only kinda they didn' thave (apple sage).

I thought they were seitan b/c they were made of wheat gluten and I thought that is what seitan was? But they do say on their website they are a different version of grain-based meat? I guess they are the only one making this kind?
#6 Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

A lot of things that aren't seitan use vital wheat gluten -- like bread! And you can make seitan without vital wheat gluten by using whole wheat flour and washing out the starch. You can use tofu IN seitan. Many possibilities. I hope I didn't just make things more confusing.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Beginner

Wow RC did you edit my title? How did you do that?

No I do understand (thanks for breaking it down like that) although I am not sure if I could figure out how to get the rinse out the starch. And I do get that you could use tofu and seitan together. I will have to check out all of your recipes since you are the total vegan chef! I am v. impressed with your knowledge!
#8 Old 10-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLizzie View Post

Wow RC did you edit my title? How did you do that?

No I do understand (thanks for breaking it down like that) although I am not sure if I could figure out how to get the rinse out the starch. And I do get that you could use tofu and seitan together. I will have to check out all of your recipes since you are the total vegan chef! I am v. impressed with your knowledge!

I did edit your title. I didn't want the thread to turn into 50 people saying "that isn't seitan." This is homemade seitan sausage. I'm a moderator and have all sort of magical powers (hence the name in orange. All of us with orange names are moderators).

I don't think anyone who has access to vital wheat gluten actually makes seitan from flour, except as a novelty to see how it comes out!! It's a PROCESS that I've never attempted. (And yet I've made tofu...). I am definitely not the total vegan chef! I'm not even vegan. Just a no-dairy-or-eggs vegetarian. Have you checked out Tofu-N-Sprout's blog?? It's great!

#9 Old 10-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Beginner

Is that strict vegetarian then? You can eat honey and wear wool coats and stuff?

Ah that's what the orange means. Thanks so much for editing it for me, I really appreciate it

I will check it out- it sounds great and esp interesting since she is a vegan mom!
#10 Old 10-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLizzie View Post

Is that strict vegetarian then? You can eat honey and wear wool coats and stuff?

Ah that's what the orange means. Thanks so much for editing it for me, I really appreciate it

I will check it out- it sounds great and esp interesting since she is a vegan mom!

I don't typically use honey either. I just don't really like it. It's basically veganism where a little bit of non-meat animal ingredients don't make me freak out, and if I eat something non-vegan (usually chocolate or something else naughty... though rarely since I keep a stash of vegan dark chocolate around.. but you know, hormones sometimes and ahhh!!) I don't get upset about it. I can't handle more than a little dairy without getting sick though, so I do my best to avoid it. People outside the veg*n community don't understand the distinctions anyway. I have been a vegetarian since about 95 though, and have been eating a more vegan diet since.. hum... 2003? (And my coat is synthetic )

#11 Old 10-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Beginner

I don't generally like honey either altho I do like my granola which supposedly has some honey but I don't ever add honey I just don't like it. Its kinda nasty.

Good job with your vegetarianism and heavily vegan diet for the past 5 years. That is a huge accomplishment! I had my first veggie chinese meal tonight. Never ordred veggie chinese since there is usually so little to choose from from the dumpy place near me but the green beans with garlic sauce was waaaaaay better than any other dish I have gotten. WOO HOO! Tomorrow is another vegan day for me and then Wed-Fri I am away but am going to eat veggie of course. I can't wait to get out of the city and see the fall foliage and go hiking.
#12 Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

People outside the veg*n community don't understand the distinctions anyway.

So SOOOO true!

And hey, your blog is going to be much more up-to-date than mine, I haven't posted in a couple weeks and WON'T be able to until I get my own computer again... And I do NOT do seitan terribly successfully.
#13 Old 10-21-2008, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

So SOOOO true!

And hey, your blog is going to be much more up-to-date than mine, I haven't posted in a couple weeks and WON'T be able to until I get my own computer again... And I do NOT do seitan terribly successfully.

I am literally sitting on like five entries I just haven't typed up, but I have photographed. I'm making my lentil shepherd's pie tonight with potato-pea topping and I'm actually going to try to write down what I'm doing this time! Always a challenge for me.

You do many other things successfully. It'd be fun if you lived nearby, we could cook up a storm!! OT, but did you ever get the book I sent you? The other person I mailed things to that day's parcel got destroyed in the mail and they got the wrapper and an apology from the post office.

#14 Old 10-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Beginner

Ah Tofu n' Sprouts, its too late- you are famous and I will be checking in on your recipes per RC!

RC- please publish that recipe- lentil, potatoes, peas, that sounds sooooo good.

I went out and bought all these tasty indian spices today after having lunch at veggie indian restaurant. its such a good cuisine bc there are so many veggie options!
#15 Old 10-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Veggie Regular

R_C, YES!! I got the book!! Ironically just a few days ago!! It came just fine and I love it! Even made a potato chowder soup thing but veganized it so totally I guess it wasn't *really* an original recipe from the book by that point.... however it was still good! THANKS!!

Now I have to load my photo editing software back on the computer... and other stuff... and THEN will maybe feel up to posting in my blog again... *sigh* this computer-crashing-stuff takes a lot out of you!
#16 Old 10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Beginner

I know, Tofu, total pain, been there done that. Its just a matter of doing it all a little at a time, specially cuz you are busy with kids and all.

SPEAKING of your screenname (Tofu). I was never much for it 'till I tried a lovely dish at a restaurant this week that claimed they could make 85 percent of their dishes vegan or vegetarian (this dish had chicken). Imade it healthier with whole wheat pasta and the tofu instead of chicken - it was amazing. I had tofu again tonight in himalayan cuisine. Now I can't get away from it! LOLOLOL!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page