Foods that appear to be vegan but may not be or aren't! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Ok so I have been veggie-ing it up and am mixing a few days in vegan, or.so.i.thought.

Imagine my surprise when cooking up my garlic basmati rice mix last night and it said "contains milk ingrediants". WHERE? There is no milk on the dam* label! Does that mean bc they assume I am adding butter (I added vegan butter by the way) which the recipe calls for or is there .00000087 percent milk in there and if so why isn't in on the label? (SCAM #1)

SCAM #2: dark chocolate. WTF?! I am not eating hershey's here. I am trying to get it together with my twilight dark chocolate and nosh on a piece last night for dessert. It's not cheap, and its super dark and I checked the label: unsweetended chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla and soy lecithin. Its vegan, right?

Well, I don't know. Nowhere on the label does it say vegan. And it also says "manufacturered on the same equipment that makes products containing peanuts, tree nuts, and milk". So is that info for allergies' sake or bc it ISN'T vegan? I googled the bar and some vegan girl had it on her website as vegan so hmmmm.....

Lest you think I am totally hopeless, I am not sitting around eating jell-o

O my tasty granola has honey. What a drag!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned

if it says 'contains milk ingredients', there is something made from milk in the packet somewhere... lactose, margarine, flavourings, etc. not vegan.

if it says 'manufactured on shared equipment/in a shared facility/etc' thats an allergy warning for people who might die if a speck of powdered milk dust fluttered down from the sky and landed on their chocolate bar. different things go down the same conveyor belt/are made in the same room as your vegan chocolate bar, but they do wash the machines between batches, and the likelyhood of any milk being on your chocolate is about the same as a particle of cows milk getting into your soyamilk if you keep it in a shared fridge. its fine.
#3 Old 10-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Beginner

Thanks HCJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Banned

no probs
#5 Old 10-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

You need to find yourself a Ritter Sport Marzipan bar. It is dark chocolate with marzipan filling, which sweetens up the dark chocolate. It's sooo crazy good. Check Target, they often have them. (Though most of the Ritter Sport Dark Chocolate bars contain milk. FEH!)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

OK, I've seen this thread a million times, but this morning without my glasses, it looked like "FOOLS That Appear Vegan But May Not Be..." which actually sounded like a believable title .
#7 Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

OK, I've seen this thread a million times, but this morning without my glasses, it looked like "FOOLS That Appear Vegan But May Not Be..." which actually sounded like a believable title .

#8 Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

LOL! I will save that title for if I ever actually make it to total vegan-land. Pretty funny!
#9 Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Beginner

Good tip, thanks RC! I can probably find it in my 'hood. We have random things from everywhere- candies I haven't even heard of bc they are all european so that's cool!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page