Like a kid in a candy store...only it was a veggie and vegan store! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Beginner

Hi guys:

Thereis this great organic place near my house I have been in several times. Today I went in with an express purpose. To find some seitan! They had some chicken like seitan but this is what I bought:

"Yoga bread" - a whole grain bread with cranberries and sunflower seeds. Doesnt that sounds SOOOO good?

Organic milk (boring I buy that all the time anyway)

And...drum roll to all of those who had been commenting on seitan and sausages and hot dogs... I bought my first veggie sausages (I am not counting the veggie morniingstar b'fast ones I have eaten forever).

RC- I saw the Kielbasa and it looked good. And there were the smart dogs, smart this and that too. OMG there were SOOOOOO many things (and I am not just talking sausages I mean in general), I had to chill out a bit since I am only working PT now. But I decided to give a whirl something I hadnt discussed with you all. Being in NY sometimes we get lots of products bc we have a big veggie community here and they looked too good to resist. They are called Original Field Roast and they look like sausages you would use in like spaghetti (like the big meat kind). I got the italian which has fennel, garlic, eggplant and red pepper. The best part of all was turning them over and seeing that they are NOT made with Soy- they are made from wheat gluten!! My first seitan product

O btw, they are vegan too. I have super high hopes for them so when I try them I will let you know. They may be no onion (I loved that thread btw) but they deserved a picture as honored first seitan product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

How exciting for you! It's always fun when you go into a store and find interesting things to try!
#3 Old 10-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Beginner

I like your pumpkin

Yes I am a new veggie dork but I don't care since I am new veggie! It was exciting!

I just posted on the NY board- I saw you are from Putnam! My parents used to be in Putnam/Dutchess. Putnam tax map address (Kent), Dutchess Mailing (Hopeless Junction - as the Phone guy put it). TEE HEE HEE

Its beautiful up there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! All the new choices can be overwhelming! I like the texture of the field roast sausages, but they were a little spicy for my tastes. (My belly doesn't appreciate spicy!) Good luck trying your new things! Some are good, some are gross, it's a lot of trial and error.

A lot of people find that their diets EXPAND when they go veggie because they try out all sorts of new fruits and veggies and grains and things they never would have as omnis.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I love it here!
#6 Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Welcome, Lizzie! I would love to know how the sausages come out. When I was omni, I used to make Thai style sticky rice with kielbasa. I would love to know if any of the veg sausages are good enough to stand on their own with the rice. Thanks!
#7 Old 10-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Beginner

RC- I LOVE spicy, the fennel doesn't do much for me but there doesn't appear to be alot of fennel when you look at it. This one doesnt look too spicy did you try the chipolte one? they are bright red which makes me think they are super spicy!

SVC- I am not sure if this flavor would be the right kind (its "italian") for thai sticky rice but I will let you know. If I have beans and rice tomorrow night I am putting it in there or I may have it with pasta at lunch tomorrow. When I ate turkey sausage I found it was pretty versatile- beans and rice, pasta whatever so I am hoping for the same with this stuff? I will let you know. Keep in mind I am no rabid_child when it comes to cooking so if its inedibile that might be the chef, not the sausages

Karenlovessnow I love it too bc you all are soo friendly and helpful! Many thanks!
#8 Old 10-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a very similar experiece this weekend, too! I went to a store buy my house called Trader Joes, and it was awesome! They had toffutti better than cream cheese, and earth balance, and all kinds of great stuff. Then the kroger grocery next to it has an entire freezer section filled with stuff like quorn and amy's. I am excited at the new options!
#9 Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Beginner

I heard TJ is pretty sweet. There are ones in NYC but all so far from where I live and since I live in the city there is the whole no car thing. Good for the envir with the public transit, not so good with time efficiency or like carrying stuff

What's kroger and quorn? I love Amy's 'specially their mac and cheese, never had hte soy one tho just the reg. so far. Is toffutti really tasty? does it come in multiple flavours (like onion and chives)?
#10 Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLizzie View Post

I heard TJ is pretty sweet. There are ones in NYC but all so far from where I live and since I live in the city there is the whole no car thing. Good for the envir with the public transit, not so good with time efficiency or like carrying stuff

What's kroger and quorn? I love Amy's 'specially their mac and cheese, never had hte soy one tho just the reg. so far. Is toffutti really tasty? does it come in multiple flavours (like onion and chives)?

Trader Joes is good for certain things, like raw nuts, and dried fruit without sulfites and cheap olive oil and nut butters, but I seem to manage without one upstate.

Krogers is a grocery store. Quorn is a meat substitute made from a fungus (not vegan though, has eggs). Tofutti cream cheese is awesome. It's better than dairy cream cheese, imo, and it doesn't give me heartburn. It comes in some sort of onion something, and some sort of veggie I think. It also comes in BOTH trans fat and no-trans-fats, so something worth looking into.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian/Vegan grocery stores are great! Its so nice to know that (if you find the right well-run store) you can eat anything you see.
#12 Old 10-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Trader Joes is good for certain things, like raw nuts, and dried fruit without sulfites and cheap olive oil and nut butters, but I seem to manage without one upstate.

Krogers is a grocery store. Quorn is a meat substitute made from a fungus (not vegan though, has eggs). Tofutti cream cheese is awesome. It's better than dairy cream cheese, imo, and it doesn't give me heartburn. It comes in some sort of onion something, and some sort of veggie I think. It also comes in BOTH trans fat and no-trans-fats, so something worth looking into.

Fungi

OOhh dairy cream cheese gives you heart burn, that sucks. I used to get acid reflux a few years ago. Did you ever have that? Sometimes the 2 go hand-in-hand. Basically I couldn't eat muffins, donuts (even one donut hole from dunkin donuts would set me off), fried dough, I could eat fried and spicy but NOT together 'cept for buffalo wings, meaning spicy fries were horrible. Basically it made me shirk at fried stuff and certain baked goods. Oh well those are all bad for you anyway!

I will try the tofutti, are the flavored ones good?

Oh are there any cheeses you recommend that are not dairy or soy based or do they not exist?

Kiran, I agree , it does rock!
#13 Old 10-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I get excited when I step into The Food Co-op or called natural food store. I'm going to try to apply there to earn extra income but the thought of being surrounded by vegetarian/vegan friendly foods is exciting. Plus the people are friendly and it's an upbeat environment.
#14 Old 10-15-2008, 06:33 PM

Well I'm glad that you found a place that you can find all that you need and, more importantly, enjoy!

It seems like there are no good health food stores around where I live that has vegan items. And the few places that do, the items are typically largely soy, which I think I might be allergic to

But anyway, that isn't what this post is about. How does seitan taste? What does it taste like? That (seitan) is something I have been wanting to try, but have yet to find it somewhere
#15 Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

A lot of people find that their diets EXPAND when they go veggie because they try out all sorts of new fruits and veggies and grains and things they never would have as omnis.

^^That is me! I have gotten quite an education--there are so many foods I had never even heard of, let alone tried!
#16 Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 PM

Oh, I had a similar experience recently! I thought my grocery store was great and I could get most stuff there (I can, it IS a good grocery), but I recently decided to go into the natural foods store near school, and I was thrilled!! I believe they have those same sausages, but I was trying to be cheap. I would like to know how they turn out!!
#17 Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Hi guys:

Thereis this great organic place near my house I have been in several times. Today I went in with an express purpose. To find some seitan! They had some chicken like seitan but this is what I bought:

"Yoga bread" - a whole grain bread with cranberries and sunflower seeds. Doesnt that sounds SOOOO good?

Organic milk (boring I buy that all the time anyway)

And...drum roll to all of those who had been commenting on seitan and sausages and hot dogs... I bought my first veggie sausages (I am not counting the veggie morniingstar b'fast ones I have eaten forever).

RC- I saw the Kielbasa and it looked good. And there were the smart dogs, smart this and that too. OMG there were SOOOOOO many things (and I am not just talking sausages I mean in general), I had to chill out a bit since I am only working PT now. But I decided to give a whirl something I hadnt discussed with you all. Being in NY sometimes we get lots of products bc we have a big veggie community here and they looked too good to resist. They are called Original Field Roast and they look like sausages you would use in like spaghetti (like the big meat kind). I got the italian which has fennel, garlic, eggplant and red pepper. The best part of all was turning them over and seeing that they are NOT made with Soy- they are made from wheat gluten!! My first seitan product

O btw, they are vegan too. I have super high hopes for them so when I try them I will let you know. They may be no onion (I loved that thread btw) but they deserved a picture as honored first seitan product.

Awesome! Especially the non-soy sausages, please do update us on their taste!

About 8% of the U.S. population is vegetarian an increase in demand means increased production. The Vons where I live recently aquired two vegetarian/vegan isles. Good stuff!
#18 Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Beginner

DC- aren't they wonderful and kind at those stores? I love them.

LoStone: I am avoiding tons of soy too as I have had thyroid/hormonal issues and melanoma

Rabid_Child - I found the Quorn- it was supposed to be chicken strips and was frozen. i didn't buy any though since I already had alot of different items. Do they actually taste like mushrooms bc then no way

GinaKina- I have the bag in your avatar!

ElArte- that rocks about Vons!

Since you all (and others asked about the Seitan sausages) I am going to do a separate thread so the other people see it.
#19 Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

SVC- I am not sure if this flavor would be the right kind (its "italian") for thai sticky rice but I will let you know.

Last night, I tried the Tofurky Vegan Kielbasa with my thai style sticky rice. It was delish! I actually liked the Tofurky kind better than the real meat I used to eat.
#20 Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Beginner

SVC that sounds SUPER tasty- someone really recommended the kielbasa- I believe it was rabid_child.

I usually am not a huge tofu fan but had a very tasty dish while away the last few days. THe place said they could make 80-85 percent of their meat dishes veggie or vegan so I got the pesto dish which had artichokes, avocado and was spicy with lime tofu instead of chicken!
#21 Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm, Lizzie, that sounds good! I am a new lover of tofu, actually. Tonight, I made vegan eggplant rollatini with basil/tofu ricotta.
#22 Old 10-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Beginner

SVC- that sounds so good- you are quite the chef! there are so many chefs on here. I am dog sitting so have little food here. I ordered some potato dish (sliced potatoes on lettuce with sesame seeds and curry). And steamed veggies with ginger and brown rice. I felt pretty healthy considering it was takeout and I have leftovers!!! And it was all vegan!
#23 Old 10-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm actually not much of a chef. I enjoy it and make it sound good. Go you for finding such tasty sounding take-in. That can be a challenge!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page