Veggie BBQ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Beginner

I am new to VeggieBoards (I introduced myself earlier so some of you may know me from there) and am aspiring to veggie-ism. I have been veganing it about 3x a week but need to work on upping protein/calories and have cut down on meat consumption drastically (truth be told I was never a massive meatosaurus)

Question: I am not a big hot dog eater and generally only consume them twice a year at my moms house for holiday bbqs (and the beef not the crappy kind). I am pretty well-schooled in the veggie hamburgers but are there good veggie hotdogs out there? Veggie burgers I normally eat incl. boca garlic and morningstar grillers. Altho Subway(the chain rest.) veggie burgers look good bc of their "colorful nature"- you can see the veggies in them. Of course if there are any other good veggie burgers out there I am open to them too ESP if there are soy alternatives as I try not to eat too much soy.

Normally at other holidays I think I would be ok bc of many side dishes but I loathe mayonnaise so pasta and 'tater salad are out so i would basically be eating veggie baked beans, chips and salad LOL!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the best I've found, though it's not actually a hot dog, is tofurkey kielbasa. They are soy, but they're tofu based, not the more processed soy-protein-isolate based.

This recipe for seitan sausages has gotten rave reviews. You could always change the seasonings to make it more like a hot dog and less like a spicy italian sausage. Other than a couple tbsp of soy sauce -- it's soy free!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Beginner

added bonus of tofurkey kielbasa- no acid reflux (another reason I am not a big fan of greasy sausage!)

That sounds good, kielbasa is barbeque-y

That recipe looks good too!

I think you said on your other post about me being upstate- no, I am in NYC but I lived upstate for awhile. Went to school in Orange County (yes that is upstate to people down here), went to college at SUNNY Genezero and lived in Albany for awhile too! Its beautiful upstate esp now. I hope to go hiking one of these weekends with my friend!

Hmm I guessing those other veggie hotdogs must be narsty if you don't include them- I think MSF makes some? But I could be wrong- green packaging i think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieLizzie View Post

Hmm I guessing those other veggie hotdogs must be narsty if you don't include them- I think MSF makes some? But I could be wrong- green packaging i think.

One smiley ought to make the point...

Their hotdogs are pretty much the one MSF product I can't stomach. Like you, I ate beef hot dogs as an omni. I thought non-beef hot dogs tasted horrible... MSF veggie dogs are worse than that. Oddly enough, I do like the corn dogs. Go figure!
#5 Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ I've never had the Morningstar hot dogs plain, just in homemade corn dogs that my dad cooked up. They were really good...

Normally, at my own house, I eat Smart dogs though they're a little soft. I don't know how they'd grill..

They have lots of hardy soy-dogs at Whole Foods if you're in the area of one. I haven't tried them though
#6 Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 AM

I love Tivall frankfurters, IMO they're fantastic. And of course have quite a few less minced eyeballs in than normal frankfurters.. But although they go really well in a finger roll with ketchup and mustard, they're probably not best suitable for BBQing. Don't forget Halloumi on the BBQ, and garlic buttered feild mushrooms, and marinated smoked tofu kebabs.
#7 Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Beginner

EW- that smiley was hilarious bc of the puking LOLOL. My friend actually never liked their dogs either though she did like the corn ones

cstadt- I am trying to avoid eating tons of soy products but i might try them bc there are Whole Foods in NYC (I am in a borough) and I think it would be ok on occasion.

LOLOL GreenAlice. That's why I never liked reg hot dogs (the eyeballs) also bc they gave me acid reflux. Why should that happen? O bc of all the garbage inthem of course! I will try the Tivalli ones- well when I said BBQ I dont mind microwavingmy veggie items, are there ones you actually can put ON the bbq? No way!

and I LOVE Halloumi. Since I am in a greek 'hood its a halloumi haven. I first fell in love with it bc it fascinated me to see cheese with grill marks- like the cheese didn't melt. it just got grill marks. There is a tasty cheese plate at this place nearby, halloumi, some toasted feta thing and something else which is awesome too. MMMMMMMM
#8 Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 AM

Amy's All American burgers are really good! Also Tofurkey beer brats are awesome too!
#9 Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Are smart dogs vegan? I'm guessing the MSF version wouldn't be.
#10 Old 11-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Everything I've tried made by Tofurkey has been awesome. Same with Gardenburger. Their riblets are awesomely delicious.
#11 Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

SmartDogs are vegan, but they get a weird skin on them when you grill. Not like a hot-dog skin, more like plastic. I don't eat 'em grilled, but my partner thinks that the plastic skin is good, b/c he is a nutter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page