I'm new here. I have a long story but in the end I need to know how to combat my depression brought on by vegan diet.
I was diagnosed with bipolar about 9 years ago and have been on every drug imaginable to combat it but it was only kinda managing it. Still had suicidal thoughts. I am not pestered with anxiety and my episodes were not related to stinking thinking...it was definitely a physical problem.
2 years ago I went to a Naturopath who did a vega test on me. He told me I was intolerant to: Soy, Milk, Wheat, Tomato and Meat, Potato and Meat, turnip, spinach, coffee, tea, chocolate, and yeast. I was shocked but willing to do anything to get rid of my IBS (didn't even occur to me that my diet could be causing my bipolar). After 6 months on the diet my hubby says to me, "um, have you noticed that you are not having mood swings". So I tapered off my drugs. And none of the bipolar symptoms returned. YAY!! It was horrible having to discount your brain as being sick and not being believed by anyone...I still carry the stigma.
So I was still having IBS and huge fatigue, so my GP sends me to an environmental dr (who diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue). He tells me to go vegan and to go on the yeast-free diet. I lost my prescription for Nystatin so I decided to do the vegan thing first and then taper down on sugar, vinegar and stuff. So I've been doing vegan for 10 days and I've been depressed for about 7 days. I know how strong the link is for me between what I eat and my bipolar so I know that it is caused by the veganism. But why??? What food can I add that will let me stay on this diet and still not go back into that excruciating mood swing place???
Here is some things that might help you:
- 1.I keep forgetting to take a multivitamin (although I wasn't taking one before)
For the first time in my entire life, I am not hungry every minute of the day. I have lost about 10 lbs in 10 days
2. I have been eating mostly stews with vegs, spices, lentils and brown rice
3. I have been drinking coffee with cream (about the same amount as I was before...still looking for a replacement for the cream) -can't seem to give this up
4. I have been snacking on fruit (apples and bananas and peaches) and trail mix
5. My diarrhea has been brutal in the last 5 or 6 days...it is to the point where...well it is really bad (nuff said)
6. My fatigue has gone from non-existant before going on this diet (I got the appt a year ago so I wasn't going to cancel because I wasn't currently feeling fatigued) to 12 hours a night sleep and still exhausted all the time
I am trying out a CPAP machine (just in case I have apnea that wasn't found during my 3 sleep studies)
HELP!!! I know I should be taking a multivitamin with b-6 and b-12 in it, but shouldn't I be able to get everything I need in my food?? Is that the answer? I can't add soy in because I know that I have a severe reaction to soy. What is the answer? I can't exercise because it wipes me out for a week if I do...doc said to start real slow and I have been.