VeggieBoards banner

Resolve weakening - help!

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  ElArte 
#1 ·
So I've been slowly becoming a v*getarian for months now, it's taking a lot of work and I have two little ones and meal planning hasn't been a top priority (hence some meat eatting meals). Last night I made spaghetti with Gimme Lean "meat" and baked it with some cheese. I thought it was good and so did our 4 yr old. Heck, my daughter thinks of any kind of meat as chicken so she has no idea what's real meat and what's fake meat. Anyway, after dinner my hubby cleaned up the kitchen and threw out the left overs. In his defense he thought I wouldn't want the left overs because he didn't care for it, so I wasn't mad, just frustrated. And then it seems like anytime I eat around family or friends I always hear things like "you need meat, lean meat is good for you." "You can't just eat veggies, you need some sort of protein." It's making it really hard to stick to my resolve to go veggie.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just rest assured in the fact that you don't need meat. Protein is incredibly easy to come by, and can be found in plentiful amounts in plant foods. It is also available in dairy products and eggs, if you are still eating those, as well as faux meats, including the Gimme Lean that you are eating.

When people tell you that you need it, fire right back and tell them that they're wrong. Just look at the number of people on VB alone that are thriving on veg*n diets!

If they don't believe you simply point them in the direction of the position statement of the American Dietetic Association (who are not a veg*n or animal rights association, so there is no claiming bias) on vegetarian diets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dietetic Association View Post

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.

#5 ·
I've replied to this twice, and the reply got eaten... twice... bottom line: you won't become protein deficient, you're doing the right thing, keep trying recipes and your husband will find some he likes, lean meats are still dead animals.

#6 ·
Keep it up, you'll find it easier as time goes on. And rest assured that you are fine on protien, I promise! Meat eaters normaly get TO MUCH protien which isn't good for 'em. But veg-heads normaly get just the right amount. There's lots of protien in everything, and as long as your getting your essentail amino acids (which are in just about everything) you'll build your own protien. So don't worry about that.

And good luck, and props to you for beginning your dauter on a veg diet! I wish that I had been raised on a healthy veg diet from a young age like she will be! She's going to be a very healthy person if she sticks to it!

#7 ·
I feel your pain, but pushing through and keeping with it will make you happier. I'm trying to feed my 2yo more veggies and other non-animal proteins, but it's tough, especially when DH will never give up meat. I won't let anyone force me to feel bad about/by the things I eat, and I feel better when my daughter eats healthy foods.

#8 ·
Quote:
Based on what I've been reading lately, a vegan diet doesn't provide sufficient Vitamin B12, but that can be obtained in supplements (preferably vegan supplements, naturally).
Just to reassure the OP:

Since she's eating dairy (and probably eggs) and prepared foods at this point, she shouldn't have a particular issue with B-12.

If one were eating a strictly whole-foods vegan diet - no prepared foods like supplemented soy or rice milk etc. - then specific supplementation would be a lot more important.

#9 ·
Tina08,

there is absolutely nothing a diet with animal products (dairy or eggs) has that a vegetarian diet does not. If you're cooking meat still make it healthier by not adding cheese. The casein in dairy products has been shown to cause cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Pereira View Post

Based on what I've been reading lately, a vegan diet doesn't provide sufficient Vitamin B12, but that can be obtained in supplements (preferably vegan supplements, naturally).
The daily intake of b12 should be .4-1.8 mcg and a vegan diet without supplements can easily meet the requirement.

Daily Health Vitamin supplements usually have them anyways so why not take one, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.