One of the best tools to keep me veg - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

One of the best things I've done that's helped me go veg and stay veg is this:

I cook for other people on a regular basis. My sister and I created a schedule and we cook for each other weekly. This forces me to try new recipes and to think about my food.

If I didn't cook for other people, I would likely eat packaged foods, junk food, and energy bars all the time. I would stay vegetarian, but I might not have been a successful vegan. And I wouldn't be as healthy or knowledgeable as I am. Cooking for others has been a great way to help inspire myself and others to adopt a veg lifestyle.

I'm not a great cook, but I can follow a recipe. And that's all I need. There are TONS of vegan cookbooks and vegan recipes online.

Maybe this can work for you, too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great that you've found something to help you! Not only will it help you stay on track, but you may just learn how to cook some new things!
#3 Old 09-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep, cooking for my family (and being pg!) help keep me cooking good food! My husband has IBS and HAS to have a good standard of diet to avoid problems later in life...I wouldn't put so much effort in myself, but cooking for him and he toddler-monster keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Clarexxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 AM
PSI

I went veg and took my whole family with me a week ago. I thought that we would be eating "yucky stuff" until I had learned more and knew what I was doing. Instead, the food we are eating is so much more delicious than what we were having before. That's because I absolutely have to plan my meals out in advance, and sometimes I even have to start my meals in the morning. Plus, there are so many vegans who have gone before me and have a wealth of recipes online. My experience so far is that vegan recipes are much more likely to be good than random omni recipes I used to get from the Internet.

At any rate, my food is much more "gourmet" than the omni junk I used to slap together (think ground beef in a pot of mac n' cheese) and I would never have tried as hard if I weren't cooking for a whole family. So long story short, you're right!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page