How long can you go on the veggie lifestyle? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 AM
Beginner

can you be a veggie your whole life? so it doesn't Kill you like the meat eating one does?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Everyone dies..

Meat eating doesn't "kill" you just as a vegetarian one doesn't.

You just need to be careful what you eat and make sure you're getting what you need in and what you need out again
#3 Old 09-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

Meat eating doesn't "kill" you just as a vegetarian one doesn't.

But meat eating directly contributes to high cholesterol, heart disease, and other factors that can and WILL kill you. Veg*ns are healthier. But yes, everyone dies eventually.

You can be a lifetime vegetarian - it certainly won't hurt you and will be MUCH healthier - as long as you're eating in a healthy manner and making reasonable food choices, even vegetarians can eat poorly.

To further answer the OP's question, I have been veg*n since birth, my Mom has been vegetarian since she was 5 and she just celebrated her 79th b-day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I know meat contributes to heart disease, colon cancer, and other disorders, but that's usually from prolonged abuse of the diet. No one is really supposed to eat red meat daily yet many Americans (an other countries) do. Just as there are vegetarians living off of pb&j.

People just need to be smart about what they eat. If omnivores would put some effort into cooking instead of just a no-brainer meat based meal, they'd be at least a little healthier.
#5 Old 09-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

It's possible that a meat eater would be healthier than a vegetarian. If someone decides to stop eating meat, and that's the only changes they make, and is one of the "I don't like fruits and veggies' type mindsets, than a meateater who eats lots of fruit and veggies with small meat consumption might actually be better off, but not because of the meat, but because of including the life-giving fruits and veggies.

I do agree, being a GOOD vegetarian is much healthier than eating animals/animal products that are the source of saturated fat, and we know where that is going to be deposited.

Will any vegetarian outlive any meat eater, even a voracious meateater who shuns veggies? The thing is, we all have our own systems and vitality level. I used to exercise all the time, while my friends sat on the couch drinking coke and eating chips. They had better muscles than I did, because it was just in their body make-up/genetics. So, I can not compare my own health to anyone elses. What I can do is take my own health/body and improve my own personal health. However long I was going to live to start with, I can increase my own chances of living longer and healthier by my choices.
#6 Old 09-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_GreenTea View Post

can you be a veggie your whole life? so it doesn't Kill you like the meat eating one does?

If you eat poorly on a veg*n diet you are at risk of getting B12, B6 and folate deficiencies which all elevate the level of homocysteine in the blood which is the amino acid that contributes to cardiovascular disease. There is some talk in the medical literature that veg*ns with increased homocysteine levels will die at the same age or even earlier than meat eaters which challenges the previously held theory that vegetarian always equals a healthier and longer life. However, there's no concrete evidence for this as yet as there haven't been enough life-long vegetarians studied so far to test the theory.

* To save me having to possibly get into an argument for the next couple of pages with anyone who feels the need to point out for the zillionth time how meat eaters get B12 and folate deficiencies too, yes I know they do, but this comparison is between so called healthy vegetarians and meat eaters assumed to be eating a reasonably healthy diet free from deficiencies.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 09-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:

There are VB members who have being veggie for 30 to 40 years and they are still kicking and alive . In India they have birth to last breath veggies , millions of them .
#8 Old 09-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Beginner

oh i see. =)

I went to the health food store in my area and picked up some organic sea salted pumpkin seeds so yummy and the that ALL the omega's in them, plus soy yogurt (yumm) the raspberry kinds and green tea also some rice noodle soup.
#9 Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

* To save me having to possibly get into an argument for the next couple of pages with anyone who feels the need to point out for the zillionth time how meat eaters get B12 and folate deficiencies too, yes I know they do, but this comparison is between so called healthy vegetarians and meat eaters assumed to be eating a reasonably healthy diet free from deficiencies.

So the study suggests that a vegetarian eating a healthy diet, with no vitamin deficiencies, is more likely to die sooner of elevated homocysteine levels than a meat eater eating a healthy diet with no deficiencies? Who funded this "research"? The meat and dairy industry?

To answer the OP, I was vegetarian from birth, and went vegan at 15, and as far as I can tell, I am still quite alive.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#10 Old 09-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been a veggie head for 14 yrs and haven't noted any ill effects.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 09-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

So the study suggests that a vegetarian eating a healthy diet, with no vitamin deficiencies, is more likely to die sooner of elevated homocysteine levels than a meat eater eating a healthy diet with no deficiencies? Who funded this "research"? The meat and dairy industry?

And the award for most defensive veg*n goes to:

m8itcanw8.com
#12 Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I've been a veggie head for 14 yrs and haven't noted any ill effects.

Um, everytime I see you you're sleeping. Are you saying that's just a coincidence?
#13 Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I've lived for over two hundred years now, and I'm still as full of life as I was when entering the school of applied witchcraft in 1811.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#14 Old 09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelle View Post

And the award for most defensive veg*n goes to:

Me! Me! Me! I love winning prizes.

So, who actually pays for research should be of no concern at all, except to extremely defensive people? I guess then if Monsanto pays for research proving that their pesticides are so safe that people can drink them straight from the bottle, you'd see no reason to question their "studies"?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#15 Old 09-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Um, everytime I see you you're sleeping. Are you saying that's just a coincidence?

I think it just reflects the superpowers bestowed upon me by my vegetarian lifestyle. I can post on the 'net WHILE asleep.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 09-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Veg*n is a lifestyle for most, not a phase. You can be veg*n forever. Some of my family member s ask me all the time do you eat chicken again yet? Like I have an expiration date on my vegetarianism. You dont. Everyone dies eventually, just live your life the best you can!
#17 Old 09-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Forever.
#18 Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes, you can be veggie your whole life. A poorly planned veg*n diet can shorten your lifespan just as a poorly planned omnivorous diet can. There are people who have lived to very advanced ages in good health of well-planned vegetarian diets AND on omnivorous diets, too.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page