Just Became a Vegetarian - Diet Questions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Newbie
 
zachmorelikezac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Hello all,



So I just became a vegetarian last Sunday, and everything has been going fine so far (I think).



I just want to make sure I'm getting enough of everything, since I don't like many vegetables (lettuce included, haha).



What I have done this week...



Breakfast - Raisin Bran and Granola Cereal



Lunch - Usually a Whey Protein shake with a yogurt or something, sometimes eggs



Dinner - Boca chik'n patties (very good), noodles with broccoli and peas, rice with broccoli.



I usually have broccoli or some kind of green vegetable with every meal. I also eat fruit throughout the day.



In addition to that I take a Member's Mark Complete Multivitamin and this vitamin from GNC called Nourishair (for hair growing reasons, haha). The Nourishair pill has 100% daily B12, apparently, so should I have to worry about getting enough of it or will the two vitamins cover it?



Thanks a lot,

Zack
zachmorelikezac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Veggie Regular
 
headxbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 302
be sure to get a lot of iron in your diet, i went anemic after becoming vegetarian
headxbanger is offline  
#3 Old 08-31-2008, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Abyssinian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 400
Make sure you get different colored veg! You can't just eat green ones. Try bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes, corn, red cabbage etc.

You don't seem to eat any beans either. They're super healthy and very tasty.

You don't need to worry about B12 cause you eat plenty of eggs and milk already. A multi-vitamin is always good though.

You need more variation in your diet as well. If you eat the same thing over and over, you'll get bored. Mix it up.
Abyssinian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 08-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Gita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mexas
Posts: 1,610
You seem to be eating a "white" diet. That's what they call a diet that is all starchy food (potatoes, rice, bread, noodles). It is basically all filler and no substance. Please try to become acquainted with actual vegetables. Although the "starch" is filling, it is actually not as necessary (except for glucose) as vegetables and fruits. If you can stand it, you can drink some little cans of V-8 juice, and some fruit drink or "Naked" smoothies. V-8 also makes a drink called "quencher," I believe, that has fruit and vegetables in it. One reason I say this is that meat eaters actually get quite a lot of B and C vitamins and other vitamins in the flesh of the animals they eat because vitamins accumulate in the bodies of the animals. In a way, if you eat meat, you really don't need to eat a lot of vegetables. Vegetarians need to eat vegetables because they cut out the middle-man (the animal), so they must eat the vegetables directly. (I am sure you know the biology chart that has a picture of an antelope eating grass, ad then a lion eating the antelope-- well the lion is essentially eating everything the antelope ate-- the same goes with people and meat animals). Your vitamin pills are fine, short term, but vitamin pills do not contain every vitamin and co-vitamin because they have not even discovered them all. There is no substitute for real food. Learning to like vegetables is key. I love them but there are some I would not eat on a bet. I think Okra is awful, and I dislike Lima beans, and there are a few other fruit and vegetables I won't eat. If you can at least find a few that you like, it would be a good start. Good luck.
Gita is offline  
#5 Old 08-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Newbie
 
Kandi Stepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks for that, i found that really helpful.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post

You seem to be eating a "white" diet. That's what they call a diet that is all starchy food (potatoes, rice, bread, noodles). It is basically all filler and no substance. Please try to become acquainted with actual vegetables. Although the "starch" is filling, it is actually not as necessary (except for glucose) as vegetables and fruits. If you can stand it, you can drink some little cans of V-8 juice, and some fruit drink or "Naked" smoothies. V-8 also makes a drink called "quencher," I believe, that has fruit and vegetables in it. One reason I say this is that meat eaters actually get quite a lot of B and C vitamins and other vitamins in the flesh of the animals they eat because vitamins accumulate in the bodies of the animals. In a way, if you eat meat, you really don't need to eat a lot of vegetables. Vegetarians need to eat vegetables because they cut out the middle-man (the animal), so they must eat the vegetables directly. (I am sure you know the biology chart that has a picture of an antelope eating grass, ad then a lion eating the antelope-- well the lion is essentially eating everything the antelope ate-- the same goes with people and meat animals). Your vitamin pills are fine, short term, but vitamin pills do not contain every vitamin and co-vitamin because they have not even discovered them all. There is no substitute for real food. Learning to like vegetables is key. I love them but there are some I would not eat on a bet. I think Okra is awful, and I dislike Lima beans, and there are a few other fruit and vegetables I won't eat. If you can at least find a few that you like, it would be a good start. Good luck.

Kandi Stepper is offline  
#6 Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Newbie
 
shiny2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by headxbanger View Post

be sure to get a lot of iron in your diet, i went anemic after becoming vegetarian



I'm about anemic-I'm afraid, then how did you make change or?

BTW, i eat tomato, green vegetables, soy milk, some fruits, nuts...so what elso should I eat?
shiny2008 is offline  
#7 Old 08-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
headxbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny2008 View Post

I'm about anemic-I'm afraid, then how did you make change or?

BTW, i eat tomato, green vegetables, soy milk, some fruits, nuts...so what elso should I eat?



i discovered this about 2 years ago but i haven't had my blood drawn since then because my insurance sucks, but i'm really interested to see how it's changed since i've been eating healthier and taking my vitamins and whatnot
headxbanger is offline  
#8 Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
TigerLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 425
I try to follow a rule I invented for myself when it comes to my evening meal. Say if I'm having beans, or a mock product, I try to include a grain or pototoe (preferably sweet pot.), and green veggies (sometimes 2, mostly b/c I like small salads with most evening meals) and one that is either white (like cauliflower), yellow, or orange (squash, corn, or carrots). I like to this to get a variety... and also because a colorful meal is most appealing. However, because I eat such a large variety at dinner time, I tend to eat less of each, like 1/4 cup of each item. So I'd end up with a half-plate of greens sometimes, technically, and 1/4 of potatoe, and 1/4 of the white/orange etc. veggie. If I am really hungry I add more of the greens or beans. I know it sounds like a lot, but it's small servings. I also eat early in the evening, no 8pm dinners for me. I am usually done eating by 6:30p the latest. I hate going to bed on a full stomach.



Sometimes I'll include a small salad of plain romaine lettuce, if nothing else, for one of the greens. This way, I feel I am more balanced. I try to eat grains over white potatoes, but it's not always possible, since microwaved potatoes are so easy to do.



Also, I try to eat a side veggie (if even just a salad) when I have spaghetti, casseroles (even if it includes veggies), and things like black beans and rice or chili-mac.



After all this food talk, I'm
TigerLover is offline  
#9 Old 09-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular
 
itsveggietime!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 588
Be sure the starches you eat are not white. Eat BROWN rice, WHOLE WHEAT pasta and bread. You really need to have different things on different days. That's how you make sure you get all the trace vitamins that they don't even know about yet. I'm thinking the noodles/rice dishes you are eating are just token versions of veggies, you need the real amounts to get the fiber and nutrients that are in them. As I mentioned, there are things we don't even know exist yet, and while vitamins in themselves, may be helpful, they can't help you with what we haven't discovered yet. Someone else mentioned, and I totallly agree, think RAINBOW when planning what you eat EACH day.
itsveggietime! is offline  
#10 Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
Tokahfang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 30
Most veggies can be hidden in tomato sauce type dishes, if you're really averse to them.
Tokahfang is offline  
#11 Old 09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by headxbanger View Post

be sure to get a lot of iron in your diet, i went anemic after becoming vegetarian



The OP mentioned eating lots of broccoli, which is a good iron source, so I doubt if that's an issue. My iron level actually went up to the point of bordering on being too high when I went veg, simply because I was eating a lot more broccoli and spinach than I used to.



As for anyone who needs recommendations for eating healthy, I will once again recommend the book "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. [/broken record]



--Fromper

Fromper is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off