Vegetarianism and cancer. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Beginner

I guess what I'm looking for here is some first-hand experience and a little hope.

I was diagnosed with kidney cancer at the age of 37, which I'm told is pretty rare, and lost my right kidney and adrenal gland as a result. I was fine for the next seven years. Even as a meat-eater I was always a pretty healthy guy, worked outdoors for a living, got plenty of fresh air and exercise, and was in the best shape of my life. My doctors all told me to consider my bout with cancer as an anomaly, get past it, move on, live my life, and forget about it.

Fast-forward eight years later and I now find myself with three new growths... one on my left kidney, one on my left adrenal gland, and one in my brain as an extra-added 'bonus' I guess. Needless to say I'm pretty scared. My doctors continue to tell me that these new growths are benign, but let me assure you that once you've had cancer... no growth is 'benign'. Who are they trying to kid anyway?

I can see I'm starting to ramble so I'll get to the point.

I'm not looking for medical advice because that would be inappropriate for this forum, but does anyone have any real-world experience being vegetarian with cancer? Do you personally feel that being vegetarian and eating healthy has helped to slow or even stop the spread of cancer or at least helped you to survive it better?

Thanks for any input,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

A friend of mine's brother in law was diagnosed with late stage cancer young and was told by his oncologist to immediately eliminate all animal products from his diet because they are carcinogenic. That is all the "first hand" experience I've got with it.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

There is an interesting discussion of animal products and their effect on cancer in The China Study. It is well known that eating too much of certain meats (especially red meat and processed meats) leads to a higher incidence of cancer. The black grill marks on grilled meat? Cancer causing heterocyclic amines are formed when meat is grilled/charred. The list goes on and on.

Of course we cannot propose vegetarianism as a cure for cancer. That is unrealistic. It's true power is in prevention, and even that is not 100%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Vegan Police Officer

I am sorry to hear about your health worries, which are indeed serious.

Forget about vegetarianism. Forget even about veganism.

And go and read up everything you can on Raw Food diets and cancer.

(Raw food diets are anyway vegan/vegetarian).

People HAVE beaten cancer with diet. They don't always beat it. But they do sometimes. And that is a fact. And it's darn worth a try.

Good luck and I hope you heal.
#5 Old 08-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope you heal too.
#6 Old 08-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Banned

You don't want to hear my first hand experience.

But I am intrigued by Diana's post. There does seem to be some benefit in going raw if you can manage it.

My advice is surround yourself with lots of good supportive people, sign up to relevant messageboards now and start loading yourself with information that you can trust. Verify every medical relevation you find with a medical professional (ie don't rely only in internet information as it can vary wildly).

Have courage.
#7 Old 09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I have way too much experience -- of course any is way too much.

I had node-positive breast cancer in 2004; surgeries, chemo, radiation, drug therapy, yadayada. I was omni at the time. I went veg about 6 months after finishing the bulk of the treatment.

So far, so good -- although I'm a high-risk group, there's been no evidence of recurrence. In addition, despite the serious hit my immune system took during treatment, I've gotten sick less often lately than before the onset, and I was quite healthy even then (except, um, for that whole cancer thing. Yeah.)

I (and my oncologist) are entirely convinced good diet and excercise have been important to my well-being, and probably also to remaining cancer-free. He approved my move to veg (although my own health wasn't my motivation). Being a physiologist and knowing how cancer works to some extent, I'm especially glad to be free of the growth-promoting substances in meat. Growth signals can make cancers grow more avidly.

Best wishes, tcxl. Feel free to pm me if you want.

Jeanne
#8 Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I just tried searching for Dr. McDougall and cancer

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdou...holesterol.htm

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/sta...ese_moore.html

he promotes a vegan diet for health alone (which is not my primary motivation), and thinks it can help with cancer (prevent or even cure).

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#9 Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

No first hand experience. This is a vegan site so you may not want to read it and I hope you don't mind these posts that just direct you to this or that site:

Quote:
What we eat and how we treat our bodies on a daily basis have a very powerful effect on our health and quality of life. Although cancer can affect many different parts of the body, the foods that prevent cancer and deter cancer growth are generally the same. Fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes all have important nutrients and other cancer-fighting substances like phytochemicals and pectin that strengthen immune function and destroy cancer-causing substances before they cause harm. Research has shown that people who eat a diet free of animal products, high in plant foods, and low in fat have a much lower risk of developing cancer. Search for research and fact sheets on topics listed below.

http://www.cancerproject.org/diet_cancer/index.php
#10 Old 09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Beginner

Thanks everybody.

Appreciate the advice and positive thoughts.

I don't want to give the wrong impression here, so I will repeat that my doctors feel these new growths are benign for now. The thing is, I would very much like to KEEP them that way. If my history serves as any indicator, these docs will 'watch and wait' and do nothing until eventually these tumors are very large and then suddenly it's: "oh my, these look malignant now and have to be treated".

Having already had cancer, I'm not going to sit around and wait for the inevitable.

Jim
#11 Old 09-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxl View Post

Thanks everybody.

Appreciate the advice and positive thoughts.

I don't want to give the wrong impression here, so I will repeat that my doctors feel these new growths are benign for now. The thing is, I would very much like to KEEP them that way. If my history serves as any indicator, these docs will 'watch and wait' and do nothing until eventually these tumors are very large and then suddenly it's: "oh my, these look malignant now and have to be treated".

Having already had cancer, I'm not going to sit around and wait for the inevitable.

Jim

Geesh I am sorry that you had to go through that, and yea any sort of abnormal growth would be scary.

I dont have any first hand experience, but I hope to one day.

I went veg*n solely for health reasons. I am only 20 yrs old, but if I start now mayb I can prevent so many things that could be detrimental to my health. EVERY single person in my family has had some sort of cancer, and most have had various organ failures, along with heart attacks, strokes, aneurisms and the list goes on. when I began reading up on veg*nism, i wanted to be the one different person in my family. I want to live past 75, I dont want to be diagnosed at 30 with something horrifying...

I know I may stil have a chance of getting some sort of cancer, or bad health, and I also know that most of my family never lived very healthy at all, but stil if there is a miniscule chance I can change that, then I will try

Good luck
#12 Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I'm in the middle of The China Study now, and it is really fascinating. I've only gotten through the first part, in which he discusses trials using rats, but he was able to (repeatably) stop the growth of cancer, even once it had begun, by putting the rats on a very low protein diet. He also stresses that the protein that he used that was feeding the cancer was casein, milk protein. Wheat, soy, and other vegetable proteins did not have the same effect. The same findings were repeated in mice and other mammals.

I've also heard about the vegan raw food diet curing cancer, as Diana suggested, but I don't know much about that. Seems like it's worth a shot.
#13 Old 09-03-2008, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirpa1 View Post

Geesh I am sorry that you had to go through that, and yea any sort of abnormal growth would be scary.

I dont have any first hand experience, but I hope to one day.

Maybe I read this wrong, but when you say you hope to have first hand experience with cancer, uh, what do you mean?
#14 Old 09-03-2008, 05:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyness View Post

Maybe I read this wrong, but when you say you hope to have first hand experience with cancer, uh, what do you mean?

She means that she wants to have first-hand experience beating cancer with a vegan diet. Sounds like almost ever single person in her family tree has had it, and she would like to be the one not to get it by maintaining a vegan diet and healthy lifestyle.
#15 Old 09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Jim, it only makes sense to stop eating foods that are KNOWN to cause cancer, that's like pouring fuel on a fire. Eat as much raw foods as you can, like salad with everything on it (baby carrots, cucumber, onions, radishes, sunflower seeds, tomatoes, peppers). Use a blend of extra virgin olive oil/safflower oil and vinegar + italian spices to make your own dressing. Eat raw fruits like oranges, apples, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, mangos, bananas. Eat only whole grain products, like brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta. If you decide to try soy milk, be sure you buy ORGANIC soy milk. Stay away from deep fried take out meals and check labels for things you buy for animal products like: beef/chicken broth/stock, lard, beef/chicken fat, gelatin.

No one really knows who will beat something or not, but it would be a shame to have previously beaten cancer, only to fall over with a stroke anyway. Protect all aspects of your health to your best ability, by what you choose to eat.
#16 Old 09-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Beginner

Thanks again everyone.

I realize it's pretty common knowledge these days that a diet high in fruit, veggies, and fiber results in a lower occurence of many types of cancer, so I hope I didn't sound like an idiot for even posting this topic. There are many peer-reviewed studies in the scientific literature to back up these claims and I've read plenty of them.

I guess for my own peace of mind I was just looking for anecdotal evidence and some reassurance that I'm on the right path. I do appreciate all of the great advice and personal experiences you've related.

I just found out about this newest 'benign' tumor when I started this thread, so I do apologize if I seemed a bit hopeless and down-in-the-dumps.

Best of health!

Jim
#17 Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

For people with personal experience and testimonials about "curing" cancer, I'd cruise around raw food forums. Also, I was watching some of the "Arnold's way" videos on Youtube last night, and there are a few where people share their stories of halting cancer progression completely (and baffling the doctors) with a raw foods diet. Those videos are really inspirational. Just go to youtube.com and search for "Arnold's way."
#18 Old 09-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Ok, I have heard of a guy called Phillip Day and he heads up a health forum called Credence. He has written a book that suggests cancer is curable through diet, in particular the consumption of apricot kernels (which are a form of arsenic). I know of a chap with advanced stomach cancer and although he is beyond a cure, he has started eating these kernals and is now pain free and able to eat again. There is a scientific explanation but I can't put it into words!! I wouldn't suggest rushing out and buying bags of kernels but I would suggest looking at the website. It is truly fascinating. Good health to you

Death is everywhere, there are lambs for the slaughter waiting to die and I can sense the hours slipping by, tonight - Depeche Mode
#19 Old 09-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

Be sure to run these internet miracle cures past your oncologist for a frank discussion about the realities of some alternative medical practices.
#20 Old 09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Be sure to run these internet miracle cures past your oncologist for a frank discussion about the realities of some alternative medical practices.

It's cool MrFalafel (love the name by the way)...

I don't personally believe in internet miracles, nor do I believe in a huge conspiracy by the American medical profession to keep us all fat and riddled with cancer. As a graduate student I place my trust in the peer-reviewed scientific literature and have faith that a vegetarian diet is the way to go for me. I also know that my doctors are looking out for my best interest... but that they are overworked and don't always have the time to spend on me that I would hope for. We have to be our own advocates these days.

That's why I am here. Not to circumvent the system, but to augment my medical support by applying vegetarian principles to what they have already told me.

I hope that made some sense. LOL. I'm getting a bit inebriated this afternoon.

Jim
#21 Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

I agree with you on this....I would never advocate alternative medical intervention without professional medical advice (if that makes sense!).

Death is everywhere, there are lambs for the slaughter waiting to die and I can sense the hours slipping by, tonight - Depeche Mode
#22 Old 09-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunzz View Post

I would never advocate alternative medical intervention without professional medical advice (if that makes sense!).

Made sense to me... and believe me I won't.

#23 Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunzz View Post

I would never advocate alternative medical intervention without professional medical advice (if that makes sense!).

Most doctors don't have a clue about alternative medicine, so how could they give advice on it????
#24 Old 09-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't have any experience with cancer (thank goodness!) but have you read the China Study? The study showed that groups of people who ate the least amount of animal products had the fewest instances of cancer. I'm not saying that a vegan diet will prevent or cure all types of cancer, but it certainly can't hurt.
#25 Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

No first-hand experience, but these articles should be of interest to you:

http://www.eatrightamerica.com/libra...article_id=318
#26 Old 09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Most doctors don't have a clue about alternative medicine, so how could they give advice on it????

Most? How many out of how many, that you know of? And how do you know?

I was vegetarian for about 6 years before I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lynphoma. I was fortunate to have a private healthcare plan that sent me to the National Cancer Institute at Washington Hospital Center. My oncologist was aware of trends in "alternative" treatments as well as nutritional concerns, though not specifically V-concerns.

Anywho... My experience...

My then-vegan diet - with an influx of organically-produced protein sources and a three-day water and white-rice-cleansing before each chemo treatment resulted in a severe reduction in the time it took to recover from treatment. At first, I was bed-ridden for a day and nauseous for 2 days following treatment (CHOP, btw*) but once I started to cleanse and eat "right" I recovered by the next morning.

That has nothing to do with treatment of the cancer, mind you. Perhaps the treatment success (and it was quite a success) was increased by the diet. I don't know, and that wasn't my motive anyway.

Yeah... so.... that's my experience, in a nutshell.

*CHOP = Cyclophosphamide, Adriamycin, Vincristine, and Prednisone. It is a common is the common chemotherapy regimen for Lymphoma such as I had.
#27 Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

It's funny... anytime I talk or hear about cancer, esp. Lymphoma, my leg gets a bit sore!
#28 Old 09-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to agree with the raw foods suggestions. Or at least, a vegan diet with as many raw foods as possible. If I were diagnosed with cancer, I would go raw immediately and not look back.

Our bodies want to heal and be vibrant. If you give your body raw, organic, seasonal foods, you may be very surprised. I think it's worth a shot.
#29 Old 09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxl View Post

She means that she wants to have first-hand experience beating cancer with a vegan diet. Sounds like almost ever single person in her family tree has had it, and she would like to be the one not to get it by maintaining a vegan diet and healthy lifestyle.

Bingo
#30 Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

This is a myth put forward by the alternative medicine industry. An Oncologists job is to keep up to date with new treatment techniques, research and results. When there is a new treatment, drug or anything else that is actually producing tracable results it spreads around the oncologist community very quickly in order to establish clincal trials to get them into mainstream use as quickly as possible. And this includes alternative therapies.

I remember talking to my wife's oncologist about reishi mushrooms and all sorts of promising herbal medicines and she knew much more about them than me. She cited research papers that looked promising but didn't actually have any tangilbe results and therefore she couldn't recommend them. She did however perscribe all sorts of alternative complimentary medicines such as nux vomica, reflexology and more.

The truth is if these miracle cures actually worked reliably in clinical trials, they'd be persrcribed right and left by oncologist that actually want to save peoples lives.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page